BYU football: Taysom Hill embraces new up-tempo Cougar offense

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 1:00 p.m.

What does Taysom have in common with Jake Heaps, Riley Nelson, Hoffman, and Van Noy?

None of them knows what it feels like to beat your rival.

After this year's win, Utah will have a 4-0 sweep for the 2013 seniors.

Did you know this will be the second 4-0 career SWEEP for a Ute graduating class in the last 15 years.

Do you know how far you have to back to find the last 2 byu graduating classes that had 4-0 sweeps over Utah

Far. Very Far.

These programs have been on opposite courses for the past 2 decades, and those trends will continue.

Notice the number of "byu families" switching to Utah these days?

Sign of the times

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 1:02 p.m.

It's unfortunate that due to byu and Utah not playing until week 4, Utah won't be able to essentially end byu's season(like we did last year when we gave them loss #1)

byu will already have at least 1 loss by the time they play Utah. Would have been nice to be the ones to personally end your season(as we continue to fight on for a Pac 12 title and rose bowl)

Oh well, a 4-0 SWEEP is a nice perk!

• Beaver Native Garland, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 1:06 p.m.

I like what I've been hearing about Anae's offense. Starting to change my mind. I still worry a little about the CB position, but Bronco is a genius at defense. Waiting to see see if the adjustments are effective.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 1:06 p.m.

Here is the thing with "go fast go hard" systems.

You need athletes that "go fast" and "go hard"

byu's "athletes" are not the same as Oregon athletes. Or Utah's athletes for that matter.

How has byu done against the most athletic teams they've played the last several years(Florida State, TCU, Utah, Boise, Texas, Notre Dame - 0 wins)

When you have recruiting classes ranked 65 or so, it means you don't have the athletes to go fast and go hard.

If you take a Honda engine and put it in the body of a Corvette, its still just a Honda.

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 1:54 p.m.

Chris B: The Cougs will run, run, run, until the Ute coaches are no longer expecting a pass, then when you least expect it, Hill will throw a long pass, and your tired DB will not be able to keep up with BYU's receiver. BYU will go up 7-0 in ju7st a few minutes. BYU will then stop the Ute offense and will score again in just a few minutes. I look for a score of 48-3 in favor of BYU. BYU's fast pace is going to eat up the Ute players' energy very quickly. The fast pace of BYU's offense will wear down the Ute defense. On the other hand, the BYU defense has been practicing the lightening fast offense, so they will have the stamina to own the Ute offense. As for 4-0, no way. THis is the year BYU starts a long winning streak -BYU with a win this year and when the two teams resume playing one another, then at least 2 more wins in a row. BYU will be without a loss when BYU and Utah meet this year. THen they will still be without a loss. Bank on it!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 2:03 p.m.

@panama,

BYU may score in the opening minutes, much like they did in 2011 at LES.

Remember?

Riley took a snap and threw it into the endzone for a Utah touchdown?

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Aug. 23, 2013 2:10 p.m.

Now if BYU can just protect the quarterback, I am glad that Ammon Olsen is also doing well!

• Kouger Lehi, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 2:18 p.m.

@ chris b
    There actually was a Corvette with a Honda engine last year in the Pac 12, and I heard it's back again this year! And after Sept 21, the engine will still be a Honda though not the auto engine, but a generator engine. Goooooo COUGARS!!

• panamadesnews Lindon, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 2:19 p.m.

Chris B: What about the Ute hybrid dual offensive coordinator position. That looks very shaky. I support 100% the offense and defense BYU has put together. I'll take Anae/Bronco over the Ute hybrid offense/Kyle W any day. You will understand what I am talking about when you witness the beating the Cougs give to your Utes as well as the final score, which will be the frosting on the cake. Mark it down!

• Funny/witty screen name Orem, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 2:34 p.m.

I am not nervous this year at all about BYU. They have two great qb's, tons of weapons at rb and wide receiver plus decent tight ends. With anae at the helm, our offense has always been decent/good. having bronco means our defense will be great. BYU will be just fine this year.

Go Cougs!

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 2:40 p.m.

christy

Sorry to burst your delusional crimson bubble, but Taysom, Hoffman and Van Noy will usher in a winless streak versus BYU for Utah's freshman class of 2013.

Not only that, but Utah will continue their bowl-less streak.

Just like the '80's, BYU has once again become Utah's bowl game.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 2:42 p.m.

@panama,

Considering Utah beat byu by 44(in provo) 2 years ago, with all your boasting 21 should be possible right?

LOL

I don't know if byu has beaten Utah by 21 in the last past 15 years

LOL

Utah has beaten byu by that margin 3 times

LOL

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Aug. 23, 2013 3:00 p.m.

What does Travis have in common with Larry Egger, Donald Van Galder, and Randy Gomez?

All are Utah QBs who spent their entire careers playing BYU as their bowl.

After this year's BYU win, Utah's freshmen will be destined to finishing their careers winless versus BYU.

While BYU continues racking up Top 25 finishes, Utah will continue to rack up unranked seasons.

As recently 2006 to 2009, BYU had four straight AP Top 25 finishes.

Do you have any idea how far back you have to go to find the last time Utah had...

four straight Top 25 finishes? - forever
    three straight Top 25 finishes? - forever

When it comes to national individual and team achievements, Utah's trophy closet is full of dust - that is, completely empty.

The Utes have been in steady decline since the Sugar Bowl and that decline will continue in 2013.

• BYU78 McLean, VA
    Aug. 23, 2013 3:10 p.m.

Chrissy:

You are getting overcommitted in your promises. A quick reminder of one from February, lest you forget -- we have not forgotten, of course:

-----

Chris B
    Salt Lake City, UT

FBFan,

... And you think somehow you'll be top 20 at least?

Copy and Mark this down right now:

If byu finishes next year top 20 I will sing the BYU fight song and post it on youtube!

... Top 20 at least? LOL!

3:08 p.m. Feb. 23, 2013Like (1)

-----

Tune up your voice, my dear. By the way, are you a Soprano or an Alto?

:-)

• Gus Tunkle Pleasant Grove, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 3:11 p.m.

Taysom Hill is going to be the super coolest QB to play in the NCAA this year! I am super excited to go to the games and cheer for him! Is there anything better than BYU Cougars football?

• BYU78 McLean, VA
    Aug. 23, 2013 3:23 p.m.

Chrissy:

Your promise has been recorded for posterity, and is duly noted. It will be worth tracking just for the fun of it, although I suspect that you would just change your handle and keep on posting. You lead a strange life, hon -- but we are honored at your infatuation with all things Cougar!

-----

Chris B
    Salt Lake City, UT

@panama,

3:03 p.m. Aug. 23, 2013

-----

:-)

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 3:41 p.m.

What do the Y-haters who post on every BYU article have in common with each other?
    1. BYU obsession
    2. A BYU inferiority complex
    3. Insecurity towards BYU
    4. No friends among real Ute fans

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 3:49 p.m.

byu78,

I'm flattered you maintain a list of my posts. Scared a little, but flattered.

Here is another one I've made.

I wont post on byu articles all year if byu beat Utah.

I made the same promise last year.

I posted all last year.

I made the same promise the year before that.

I posted all that year.

I made the same promise the year before that.

I posted all that year

LOL!

It all comes down to the quality of athletes(or lack there of in byu's case)

Utah has them. Byu does not.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Aug. 23, 2013 4:03 p.m.

"Chris B

Salt Lake City, UT

@panama,

If byu were to win by more than 21 I'd never post on a byu article the rest of my life."

While I suspect it will be a close game either way, this kind of bold declaration can backfire quickly even if the contest is the mismatch you assume. All it takes is one injury, etc.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 4:06 p.m.

I think we'll average 40 points a game this year.

• BYU78 McLean, VA
    Aug. 23, 2013 4:18 p.m.

Hey Chrissy:

In truth, I don't expect a 21 point game, much as I would enjoy watching the Guys in Blue win by that many. So as a consolation prize, how about we agree to the following? Stipulation 1: The Loser comes onto the board post-game, and acknowledges The Winner's team as the superior team, based on the game results and nothing else. Call this a pre-commitment to a no-sniveling, no-excuses, no-weasels-allowed post game environment. In other words, no fan carping, whining, blaming the refs, etc, etc. -- just an honest acknowledgment of the reality of the scoreboard as the final statement of who has the better team.

How about it? And to make it even more interesting, Stipulation 2: After The Loser's acknowledgement, if BYU wins, you stay off the Y boards for the rest of the football season. If Utah wins, I'll stay off the Y boards for the rest of the football season. (And the U board as well) Will you sign on the dotted line, my dear? You would, of course, be welcome to return for your annual basketball season flogging.

Show your Utah pride, dear lady! Are you game? :-)

• Hochmut West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 4:36 p.m.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 4:38 p.m.

You know, I was just wondering why Christy B among others are always commenting on BYU articles and so I jumped on over to the ute side of the house to look at their articles and low and behold there is just nothing but football articles! No track and field, no cross country, no volleyball, no soccer, nothing but football. It must be very boring cheering for a university that has just one sport to talk about! And then to have that team on the bottom of their conference. It's no wonder why they eat, breathe, and sleep BYU. They have to pretend they are going to a bowl game every year by getting themselves up for the team that all their fans claim is their Rival because no one else cares about them or even really knows them.

Yes, we have noticed how much the rhetoric from the ute fans have picked up and will continue as the days move along toward the start of the season, and then after the BYU game (win or lose) they will start their chant of wait until next year, since their hopes for a bowl will by then will have vanished.

• BYU78 McLean, VA
    Aug. 23, 2013 5:54 p.m.

Chrissy: "I'm flattered you maintain a list of my posts. Scared a little, but flattered."

Chrissy, fear not and fret not! Please just provide a simple "Yes" or "No" answer to my challenge as posted above. A "Yes" would be preferred, but this is up to you. If you're feeling expansive as a Ute fan this evening, just copy the terms of the challenge into your response, and indicate your acceptance. Simple and easy, and from that moment forward, we are all systems go!

Oh ... and keep that voice tuned up. You may be needing it in January, for the enjoyment of Cougar Nation!

:-)

• BYU78 McLean, VA
    Aug. 23, 2013 6:11 p.m.

Hochmut: This coming week will be the best; a trip to Virginia to play a few rounds of golf and Thursday evening to watch USU take down the mighty Utes; then our little group will head to Charlottesville to see the Cougars take down the Cavaliers on Saturday--I figure, Cougars 41, UVA 6; don't you just love it when a plan comes together!

Careful, Hochmut. We will have our hands full with Virginia. Between the o-line and the cornerbacks, we're not going to be smooth out of the box. UVA underperformed last year, and their talent is way better than everyone thinks. I think we can win the thing, but I see a very tough game coming up down there, perhaps a rerun of the 2000 game that went to overtime.

Hope you enjoy the trip. If you haven't been to UVA before, be sure to tour the beautiful campus -- originally laid out by Thomas Jefferson -- and go to Monticello. A great trip. Go Cougars!

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Aug. 23, 2013 6:42 p.m.

The Virginia game is a long trip. The Cougars probably will be sucking on pickle juice to seal with the humidity like they did when they played Ole Miss. I still expect BYU to come out on top, but anything can happen to cause the game to be close.

BYU 31, Virginia 13

• Koloss Hampton, VA
    Aug. 23, 2013 10:32 p.m.

Why is it BYU fans are all so high on Robert Anae? When he "resigned" from there a few years ago all I heard was "good riddance."

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Aug. 23, 2013 11:42 p.m.

Steven S Jarvis

Virginia isn't all that humid in September, certainly nothing like Ole Miss.

If BYU plays like they did against Ga Tech last season, this one won't even be close.

• BYU78 McLean, VA
    Aug. 24, 2013 8:21 a.m.

SportsAuthority:

I'd love for you to be right, but I don't see how you expect this to be a cakewalk. Their o-line talent is superior to ours, their d-line is at least equal, and their running backs and receivers are very good. They have enough speed at receiver to be able to take advantage of any separation they can create against our new cornerbacks. The only unit where we have a clear cut advantage is at linebacker, with perhaps an edge at receiver in Hoffman.

I don't see the new offense really being in a groove until October, which will tend to keep the score of this game lower and closer. To your point about heat and humidity, it has been a cooler than normal August out here, and hopefully the trend continues into next Saturday -- but any hot and humid conditions that do exist will favor UVA. I see this as a close game, one we could lose unless the offense comes out reasonably sharp, and the new cornerbacks can find a way to hold their own. Why do you guys see this game as a cinch ???

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2013 9:10 a.m.

Apparently some don't have to follow guidelines and can say what they want.

Here is my comment about the article:

Go Taysom, have fun.

Come what may, and love it.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 24, 2013 1:36 p.m.

Moderator:
    ---------------
    Personally I have no idea how well this team will do this year. I've been around long enough to see several BYU teams hyped up to be one of the best ever, come out and lay a big fat egg. Fortunately BYU fans are an optimistic bunch and have short memories. There are a lot of positives but a lot of question marks on this team, but I am cautiously optimistic. But if the Cougars lose to Virginia next week, there will be several on this board who will be calling for Anae's head.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 24, 2013 2:40 p.m.

"BYU has promised to roll out a faster-paced offense this season that will regularly light up scoreboards like the Cougars did in their glory days." -- DN

Okay. But the question is why is the same OC doing this 8 years later? Wasn't that his plan in 2005?

Is it because BYU has better talent to run his offense? But BYU's talent level has decreased since 2005 according to recruiting services.

I guess one can argue that by running more plays BYU will score more points. True, but any team can do that.

• Jenny83 Logan, UT
    Aug. 24, 2013 4:21 p.m.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 25, 2013 3:24 p.m.

Uteology
    East Salt Lake City, Utah

The same offensive coordinated is the one who helped the team score a lot of points in the past.

Many fans, me included, were not impressed at the end of his first tenure because the offense, albeit good, had become so predictable. The last few years have made a lot of us long for a predictably good offense, and if the hurry up keeps teams guessing and creates opportunities to exploit, I'm ready for seconds.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Aug. 25, 2013 3:26 p.m.

Jenny83
    Logan, UT

"Virginia won 3 games all of last season... If BYU doesn't beat them by at least 3 touchdowns then they are simply no good."

One could say the same thing about Utah. Losing to U again is just not acceptable. Three touchdowns or more is the new standard, thanks for thinking of it!

• BYU78 McLean, VA
    Aug. 25, 2013 5:32 p.m.

Posted By idablu:

"Moderator: I just don't understand the selective censorship here. Comments that are more caustic than my very benign statements are allowed and mine rejected?"

---------------

Idablu: Hear, Hear !!! The DesNews moderators bend over backwards to allow just about any mendacious and inflammatory posting from the most obnoxious of anti-BYU dopes. (I'd name names, but they'll zap my posting if I do, guaranteed!) At the same time, they consign any reasonable direct response to Electronic File 13. I suppose this is their idea of trying to be "unbiased" given the newspaper's ownership. Whatever the reason, stacking the deck in favor of any side is a poor practice.

I came back here only to check on a challenge I left for Chris_B, which she didn't accept, and I happened to run into your comment. It prompted me to make this post, which may or may not get past the mods. Either way, I'm all done posting here. I'm not going to fight a battle against moderators who make no effort to maintain a level playing field. To be sure, they won't miss me any, and the feeling is mutual. Go Cougars!

:-)

• Proud Ute ,
    Oct. 2, 2013 5:50 a.m.

I encourage all the coog fans to go back and read the comments to this article.
    Extremely funny in retrospect.