Opinion

Letters: Professional mocking of President Obama

Comments

• Roland Kayser Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 7:48 a.m.

All presidents get mocked. You have to have a thick skin to be president. Sometimes the mocking goes over the line, this was one such instance. That doesn't mean that mocking should be banned or made illegal. It's still free speech.

• Ajax Mapleton, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 7:50 a.m.

What really is the "hate Obama" campaign of the ultra-right all about? While some attribute the course of world events to the influence of powerful individuals, the reality is that the world has a life of its own of which we all are but parts. As Gregory Bateson explained, "The self is a false reification of an improperly delimited part of this much larger field of interlocking processes." To fanatically blame Obama and the Democrats as scapegoats for the downside of the natural ebb and flow of world circumstances is to fundamentally misunderstand our place within a larger whole.

There is no advantage in hate and in fearfulness of an always uncertain future; nor is there refuge in the mistaken notion of an ideal past. What we are experiencing in the quickening of information, ever broader inclusivity and the browning of America is as inevitable as the tides of the sea. As Bob Dylan rightly advised:

Come senators, Congressmen
    Please heed the call
    Don't block at the doorway
    Don't block up the hall

Please get out of the [way]
    If you can't lend a hand
    For your times they are a-changin'

• high school fan Huntington, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 7:52 a.m.

Cannot believe that this is even an issue, somebody must not have had anything to do.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Aug. 18, 2013 8:14 a.m.

I think all sides could benefit from a little good clean fun at their expense.... but when it turns nasty, racist, mean spirited.... I don't think anyone benefits from or deserves that. I am the source of some of my own best jokes.... dumb things I have done and said. If you can't laugh at yourself, then there are bigger issues.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 9:15 a.m.

And why not?
    Tea Party Conservatives should be proud!

Glenn Beck has made himself a $Millionaire as a "rodeo clown" mocking the President of the United States for the past 6 years.

======

“I’m a rodeo clown,” he said in an interview with New York Times Mar 3, 2009.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Aug. 18, 2013 10:27 a.m.

I think one problem with this particular incident was the venue. It was a STATE Fair, funded in part by taxpayers in the state. I also think it makes a difference because the Pres. Obama is our first black president. Despite advances, race remains a big issue in our country. There has been an uptick in racist organizations, fueled not only by the election of Pres. Obama, but also because of the changing demographics of the U.S. with a decline of white majority population.

At best, it was in poor taste and totally inappropriate for the setting.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 11:34 a.m.

truthseeker,
    why introduce the race card?

BO is worthy of the mocking because of the foolishness of his policies. What he receives is tame to what bush was subjected to. Joy (if ever a woman was misnamed, it's her) Behar chuckled with delight at someone's desire to kill bush; and we won't even go into the filth maher threw at bush ever day of his administration. Nah, libs can dish it out, but they sure cannot take it.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Aug. 18, 2013 1:24 p.m.

Re:LostinDC
    What was the underlying motive of the clown and announcer?

"Why introduce the race card?"

Because it is real and persistent in our society. Intelligent, well-mannered, people in a public setting with people of all races, political persuasions and ages ought to set a good example of civility and sensitivity and take the high road.

Neither Joy Behar or Bill Maher have performed at a state-funded public venue that I know of.

I would agree Bill Maher is over-the-top. I would also note, his "over-the-top" comments (not related to Bush) resulted in him losing his gig on any major network. He has no radio program either--he can only be seen on a subscriber based cable channel.

I don't condone any comments by people about killing the president, regardless of party. People making such statements are fools or crazy.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 1:44 p.m.

Lost in DC, Joy Behar, and Bill Maher? That's all you've got?

But, yeah, I'll agree, Presidents are always subject to mockery, and, frankly, that's one of the things that make this country great. But this time, with this president, it feels different. Or maybe it's just because conservatives and republicans are much more nasty and mean spirited in their attacks.

But I think one difference is in who is doing the attacking, Republican politicians and office holders have been vicious with personal attacks on this president, and on liberals and the Democrats. And I don't see that type of attack coming from Democrats.

And, yeah, fine, it's their right. They can do it. But it really is distasteful, and turns off a lot of people, like my mother, a lifelong Republican who now is very critical of the Republican Party. And all I had to do is show her what these people were saying. His mean spirited they are.

• HaHaHaHa Othello, WA
    Aug. 18, 2013 2:04 p.m.

Stupid comment of the day "It was a STATE Fair, funded in part by taxpayers in the state."

ALL broadcast airwaves, channels and frequencies in this country are owned by the "state". You pay for your license to broadcast, and you sometimes pay for your right to receive programming. If rodeo cowboys can be eliminated from freedom of speech on "state owned" venues, the so can clueless Behar and Maher from "state owned airwaves. People paid to see the rodeo, they are the only ones who should be able to complain about the content, just like pay per view!

• the old switcharoo mesa, AZ
    Aug. 18, 2013 2:36 p.m.

What liberals can keep in mind, is that the rest of the world largely respects Obama with them. Obama will be a world figure that represents progress and opportunity for the rest of his life and will broker peace when he's done as president.

Republican presidents in the last decades haven't been willing nor able to do much of that, especially not Bush Jr.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 3:35 p.m.

so when rodeo clowns mocked past presidents at state fairs was that anti-white?

and since Obama is technically a white African American according to NYT Zimmerman rules, shouldn't anti-white bias be investigated in this instance too?

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 3:57 p.m.

@Counter Intelligence
    Salt Lake City, UT

so when rodeo clowns mocked past presidents at state fairs was that anti-white?

=====

so when did rodeo clowns stoop so low as to mock ANY President, since never?
    [Especially ones from Cowboy country Texas?]

It crossed a line,
    right up there with the same sort of folks portraying Obama with a Hitler mustache -- own it.

But I love my country MORE than I do any political parties.

• VickieB SLC, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 5:04 p.m.

David Letterman made fun of Romney and his religion months after the election. No Democrats were to be found.

And to think, Liberals call people who want our immigration laws enforced Nazi's, but cry out when Obama is mocked with a mustache.

I don't remember a President that was never mocked. Without politicians, comedians would go out of business.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 5:27 p.m.

It was a >rodeo

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Aug. 18, 2013 5:28 p.m.

"And when did a rodeo become political anyway? I don't remember them being like that."

Well said.

When one buys tickets to a show featuring Bill Maher, Glenn Beck, Rush Limaugh etc. they know exactly what they are getting. Expectations are quite different at a rodeo.

"But I think one difference is in who is doing the attacking, Republican politicians and office holders have been vicious"
    "In fact the big media spokesmen for the right, Beck, Hannity, and Limbaugh etc, have been ruthless."

Yes, for example how can any woman, husband or father forget Limbaugh's attack on Sandra Fluke?

A Democrat being elected as Pres. brings out the worst in Republicans. Simply put, they are sore losers. The non-stop investigations, conspiracy theories and attacks were also par for the course when Clinton was President. But with Pres. Obama it has reached a new low, including continuing questions about his citizenship/religion, the Senate Majority Leader announcing that his goal was to seek the failure of the Pres., and the unprecedented obstruction including appointments of his own cabinet and non-controversial judicial appointments.

• higv Dietrich, ID
    Aug. 18, 2013 5:34 p.m.

The state Government pays for the state fair? I didn't know that. I don't think the government paid one cent for the rodeo, Admittance prices, cowboy fees, and concessions I am sure paid for the rodeo. Oboma is the first president that has African Decent but his Mother was white raised by White Grandparents, His Dad he seen once was from Kenya.

People could care less about his race. His policies are what people disagree with. Mocking police, prosecuters and the like has been going on for some time in rodeos. I've seen a few clowns tell Lorena Bobbitt, Jeffrey Dahmer and David Koresh jokes. Those are probably classless. In this country you have the right to mock the President.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 6:57 p.m.

Being political correct is kinda like talking to some one on medication. Their in their own world.

• Curmedgeon Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 7:02 p.m.

so when did rodeo clowns stoop so low as to mock ANY President, since never?
    [Especially ones from Cowboy country Texas?]

There is documented evidence that there has been a bush clown in the past. But of course, that one was OK.

Can you say double-standard?

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 18, 2013 7:56 p.m.

Truthseeker,
    Transpose Bush and Obama or Republicans and Democrats and your argument would not change. The party in power always resents being ridiculed, but it is called Free Speech. Hiding behind the race card is without merit and entirely nonsensical. Hinging your argument on an assumption that cannot be documented puts you on the road to further embarrassment.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Aug. 18, 2013 8:24 p.m.

Next most stupid comment of the day..." If rodeo cowboys can be eliminated from freedom of speech on "state owned"

Umm.... the clown was hired to do a job.... not to express their own personal beliefs. Anyone who is on the job and uses their employers venue as a platform for their own personal speech should be fired. I know if one of my people came and used an official communication that represents the company as a platform for their own speech.... I would fire them.... regardless if I agreed or disagreed with their position.

Free Speech does not extend to when you are working as an agent of the employer. If the dope who was the clown wanted to dance on the corner and make the same joke... off the clock.... no big deal But he did it while be paid by someone else.

Talk about misguided ideas of entitlement. You don't have the right to use someone else's money or venue to express your free speech.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 19, 2013 10:46 a.m.

Truthseeker,
    YOU know the thoughts and intents of their hearts and can definitively say it was race motivated?

I doubt it.

Mark,

Switcheroo,
    BO brokers peace? Hahahaha, which planet are YOU living on?

LDS? Lib
    But I love my country MORE than I do any political parties.

Oh, please stop, my sides are aching from laughter

• Samson01 S. Jordan, UT
    Aug. 19, 2013 10:50 a.m.

"And I don't see that type of attack coming from Democrats. "

We truly see what we want to see!

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Aug. 19, 2013 10:53 a.m.

Re: "Sometimes the mocking goes over the line, this was one such instance."

Funny, huh? Leftist mocking never even seems to approach that line, at least, as long as mockers and line drawers are leftists.

It only proves that hallowed leftist philosophy, so well stated by Orwell, to the effect that we're all equal, but some -- only on the left -- are more equal than others.

• BU52 Provo, ut
    Aug. 19, 2013 11:36 a.m.

When you have a president who is in office due to the affirmative action attitude of the country, then you need to be much more careful about the mocking because people might actually realize that the king has no clothes.

• Anti Bush-Obama Washington, DC
    Aug. 19, 2013 11:56 a.m.

LDSliberal

"Believe me, I had PLENTY of not very flattering things I could have said and done during the 8 years of terror under Bush/Cheney.

But I love my country MORE than I do any political parties."

No all it means is that you will just accept whatever is thrown at you because you are afraid to get involved and crticize anybody. I don't subscribe to the coward and traitor philosophy of being quiet and letting the government doing whatever they want. You think it makes you a hero but you will just be branded a coward and a fencesitter in the next life.

• HaHaHaHa Othello, WA
    Aug. 19, 2013 12:30 p.m.

Blue Devil

You're so in love with mr. obama, the double standard just becomes to tempting for you. You can be mad that me and 45 to 55 percent of the rest of the country, really can't stand your revered mr. obama, but that doesn't mean we can't mock or criticize him. Your stretch to try and defend him, reeks of suppressing free speech. You don't hire a comedian to entertain, and then tell him what and how they can say it. You don't hire a magician, singer or other kinds of entertainers, and then tell them what and how to do their job. It's not the same as being a factory worker, or office staff or even a corporate executive of a company. They are hired as specific employees, and have to live within the scope of an actual company policy and employment contract, and yes, not spend organization time and money on these political activities. Make sure that next time you want to express free speech, you go off to your little corner, on personal time and preach to your little group of followers.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Aug. 19, 2013 1:01 p.m.

To "Roland Kayser" how did this one go over the line? The liberals didn't care when you had film makers portraying an assanation of Bush. If that didn't cross the line, then why should this? Look up the 1994 incident where a rodeo had a dummy that looked like Bush. That was ok then, so what has changed now? The only difference I see is that we now have a President with a very thin skin.

To "Truthseeker" who cares where the funding came from. Why is it that free speech cannot be exercised if it does anything other than glorify Obama?

To "the old switcharoo" who respects Obama? England doesn't, Egypt doesn't, China doesn't, Russia doesn't, nor do many nations. He is seen as weak and a puppet.

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    Aug. 19, 2013 1:03 p.m.

Rodeos are always over the top and that's why I like them once in a while. BO (and his sheeple) needs to get some thick skin and forget it rather than make a federal case out of nothing.

• Kimber Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2013 1:55 p.m.

I saw a movie this weekend called the Butler. I suggest everyone see it and I think some might change their opinion of what this "mocking" is.

• Confused Sandy, UT
    Aug. 19, 2013 2:10 p.m.

Curious why the liberal leaning posters on this site always think that the right leaning people are always responsible for such things as this rodeo clown...

Could it be that the rodeo clown does not like Obama because of the decisions he is making rather than what party the president assoicates with?

Not everything is about the Ultra left and Right wing nut groups... Sometimes people in the middle don't like the person based on his job perfomance (not race, party or whatever else ).

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Aug. 19, 2013 2:18 p.m.

re:RedShirt
    Did I call for banning free speech? Just because we Americans have free speech doesn't mean that all speech in all places enhance society and discourse. Free speech also includes people being able to decide not to invite particular people/performers at their events.

Regarding the Bush movie you referred to:
    Two U.S. cinema chains, Regal and Cinemark, refused to screen Death of a President, which was distributed by Newmarket Films in the United States. CNN and NPR also refused to broadcast advertisements for the film.

Hillary Clinton, then junior United States Senator from New York, told The Journal News of Rockland, Westchester, and Putnam counties at the annual New Castle Community Day in Chappaqua that, "I think it's despicable. I think it's absolutely outrageous. That anyone would even attempt to profit on such a horrible scenario makes me sick."

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Aug. 19, 2013 2:34 p.m.

To "Truthseeker" you did advocate silencing free speech. You implied that this should not have been done because it was state funded. Again, why does it matter who funds it?

There are artists that get city, state, and federal funding for "art" that is highly offensive to most everybody, yet that is allowed. You hate this because somebody was paid by a state and had the nerve to do something that did not glorify Obama.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 19, 2013 3:54 p.m.

"Don’t NEED more than maher or behar, but since you asked – letterman, Rachel madcow, Ed (don’t know his last name), MSNBC, NBC, CBS, ABC, NYT, Boston Globe, etc, ad maseum"

And lost, what are you trying to say with that list? Did you have a point?

"Why does it feel different this time with this POTUS? OH, it’s because he is more liberal than all his predecessors. That’s it."

Uh. . . No. I already explained why I thought it was different. Did you not read my comment?

""And I don't see that type of attack coming from Democrats. "

We truly see what we want to see!"

Samson, you are right, it is very hard to see beyond preconceived notions. And I truly try to take that into account. Do you? But see the thing is, I'm not a Democrat. And I'll say it again, I really do not see the same kind of vile coming from Democrats that the Republicans put out there.

Lost mentioned Maddow, the biggest pundit for the left. Compare her to Limbaugh. Listen to both and you will see the difference.

• Truthseeker2 SAN LUIS OBISPO, CA
    Aug. 19, 2013 4:49 p.m.

Re:Redshirt
    "I think one problem with this particular incident was the venue. It was a STATE Fair, funded in part by taxpayers in the state"
    (I was referring to the amount of publicity, scrutiny and response this incident got.)

Where in that statement did I say we shouldn't have free speech?

Sure, the state rodeo organizers can choose to hire performers. And the performer can choose to do or say things which offend many in the audience. And then people can complain and/or choose to not attend. But if the goal of the rodeo organizers is to attract as many people as possible, maybe it wouldn't be in their best interest to invite the same type of "entertainment." Same goes for art museums.

Conversely, if museums have offensive attractions, then people can choose to not go.

"You hate this because somebody was paid by a state and had the nerve to do something that did not glorify Obama."

No, regardless of who is the president, i just think it is an example of very poor, immature, ignorant judgement.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 19, 2013 9:00 p.m.

Believing that Bush got easier treatment than Obama, or believing the Democrats don't dish it out with at least as much venom and hatred, truly requires the willing suspension of disbelief. Despite seeing what we want to see, it can't be possible for a non-comatose person to actually be that blind.

• Samson01 S. Jordan, UT
    Aug. 20, 2013 10:35 a.m.

"...it is very hard to see beyond preconceived notions. And I truly try to take that into account. Do you? But see the thing is, I'm not a Democrat. And I'll say it again, I really do not see the same kind of vile coming from Democrats that the Republicans put out there."

There truly is lost credibility with that statement!

I am not defending anyone here. But to say that one side is worse than the other is a stretch. I see it all the time. I spend most of my radio time with NPR where they represent both sides of an issue quite fairly. Y'know...Moderate and liberal. The constant smugness of having the "superior" view is maddening at times. While certainly not as bombastic as the Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck approach, it is equally one sided and venemous. I don't even have to go to the more obvious left leaning venom of Matthews, Maddow, Sharpton, and other talking heads. Their approach is beyond the pale.

My point is that it comes from both sides and that if you don't see it is because you are turning a blind eye to it.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 20, 2013 10:26 p.m.

The venom of NPR? Venom, really? Perhaps we have different definitions of that word. And Maddow? Venom? Do you ever watch her show? We are talking the same Maddow, right? Rachel Maddow? Venomous? Really? Care to provide an example?

Hmnn. You know something? I follow and read and listen to quite a bit of news and commentary, from right and left and everything in between. I watch FOX, I listen to Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, and other conservative commentators, I read their books. And I have for years. And i also listen to the pundits on the left. I follow politics rather closely. I listen to politicians both left and right.

My question to you, Sam and DSB, is do you?

Do you listen to Maddow, Sharpton, or Mathews, and other pundits on the left, on a regular basis? Do you?

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 21, 2013 10:39 a.m.

Yes mark, I watch them. Whereas Hannity, Limbaugh, and Beck have a more emotional style of venom, the ones you prefer have a snarky, elitist, arrogant style of venom. Same venom, opposite sides, different styles. Your people put on sarcastic smiles throughout their entire shows and offer up their biased and sometimes deluded opinions as absolute facts with which only idiots could disagree. A highly condescending form of venom. Every day, every broadcast. Maddow is one of the worst. Yes, I'm talking about the same Rachel Maddow. Yes, Rachel Maddow. Snarkily venomous, yes. Really. Then, you have people like Ed Schultz whose style is no less explosive than Glenn Beck, and reminds us all why we have insane asylums. We can only hope he ends up in protective custody before he pops a vein and kills someone like Dick Cheney, whom he has already wished death upon.

There's no one so blind as he who refuses to see.

• Alfred Pheonix, AZ
    Aug. 21, 2013 2:05 p.m.

Let's take a look at the latest in the news re, Obama...

President Obama’s half-brother in Kenya could cause the White House more headaches over new evidence linking him to the Muslim Brotherhood and establishing that controversial IRS supervisor Lois Lerner signed his tax-exempt approval letter.

Malik Obama oversees the Muslim Brotherhood’s international investments and is one reason for the Obama administration’s support of the Muslim Brotherhood.

In a news report on Egyptian television a former Palestinian Liberation Organization operative, Gebali, said she would like "to inform the American people that their president’s brother Obama is one of the architects of the major investments of the Muslim Brotherhood."

To the DNews monitor: The above is factual news from the DRUDGE Report so please don't deny posting it. The American people have been duped and they need to be advised.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 22, 2013 2:07 p.m.

@BU52
    "When you have a president who is in office due to the affirmative action attitude of the country"

Or he won based on people thinking he was the better choice but nah... that can't be it. Let's just attack his race instead.