Opinion

Letters: Proper jogging clothes

Comments

• Opinionated Sandy, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 8:37 a.m.

They would feel pretty bad if you hit them also. However, unfortunately, it would still be your head on the block if you did hit them. The law does not require them to be responsible.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 8:46 a.m.

I agree. Don't go out running, walking, biking, or boarding at night dressed all in black and no reflective material or light. That's just daring someone to not see you, and betting every driver you encounter that night will have good enough vision to spot you in time.

Take some common sense pre-cautions. Wear something light, or reflective, or wear a light. You can see the cars, but can every driver see you? Sometimes they can't.

Don't wager your life that drivers (sometimes driving too fast and sometimes distracted) can see a black object, on a black road, in the dark, every time, in time to miss you. It's not worth the gamble. The up-side is zero, and the down-side is huge.

I would always try to make myself as easy as possible to be seen. Also... avoid roads where cars will be going at high speeds and roads without streetlights (if you can).

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 11:01 a.m.

reflective vests are lighweight and only $5-$10 at any sporting goods store. I guess if you go out at night without such attire, you think your life is worth less than $5-$10.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Aug. 14, 2013 3:00 p.m.

Had me worried when I saw the title.

I thought it was going to be a letter about someones shorts being too short and or tight.

lol

• Miss Piggie Pheonix, AZ
    Aug. 14, 2013 6:43 p.m.

@2 bits:
    "Don't go out running, walking, biking, or boarding at night dressed all in black..."

Not only that... joggers should not be jogging on the street... they should be jogging on the sidewalk. If there's no sidewalk, find a place to jog where this is one.

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 8:39 p.m.

@Miss P;

• Miss Piggie Pheonix, AZ
    Aug. 14, 2013 11:29 p.m.

@RanchHand:
    "There are no sidewalks in my neck of the woods. Nary a one (I believe the nearest sidewalk is about 13 miles away; except for a teeny stretch that runs in front of about 3 buildings right in the center of town)."

If you have no sidewalks and still think you must jog to get your daily exercise... do it in the daytime so that auto drivers have a better chance of avoiding hitting you. The life you save may be your own.

• Danny Chipman Lehi, UT
    Aug. 14, 2013 11:54 p.m.

Like JoeBlow, I thought this was going to be about skimpy spandex or those old, hairy, overweight guys running around topless.