Opinion

Letters: Welcome new move ins

Comments

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    July 27, 2013 7:54 a.m.

I would make a difference between legal and illegal immigrants, but I agree that "outsiders" of either category are likely to meet a cold reception in many areas of Utah, if not all. It's called "pride" which is the greatest stumbling block in Zion.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    July 27, 2013 10:19 a.m.

Irony of the day: why we LDS who should be the most welcoming people on the planet are so NOT.

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 27, 2013 1:10 p.m.

I agree Utah is a great place, not perfect, but a great place to live. Your letter seems to raise the question, why did you leave California? Just curious. It is a nice place to live too, or used to be. Born here, raised there.

• Mr. Bean Pheonix, AZ
    July 27, 2013 6:32 p.m.

@Gildas:
    "It's called 'pride' which is the greatest stumbling block in Zion."

Not so. It's called wariness, distrust, unsureness of strangers in the midst. And how did that come about? Mormon ancestors were kicked out of at lease two cities that they established decades ago with their blood, sweat and tear. And their leaders were killed in cold blood by a mob. Then, when they moved themselves to Utah after much difficult toiling and tribulation, the government sent an army after them to harass some more. This skepticism has found it's way into the DNA passing from generation to generation until now and will take a long time to dissipate.

That same distrust of strangers is a fundamental cause for the Mountain Meadow Massacre.

• RichardB Murray, UT
    July 27, 2013 7:54 p.m.

When did California become a country?

It's amazing what depths business will go to for cheap labor in this country.

• wrz Pheonix, AZ
    July 27, 2013 11:04 p.m.

@RichardB:
    "When did California become a country?"

Hasn't happened yet. But, in a decade or two Southern California will become the country of 'Little Mexico.' Inhabitants will be required to speak Spanish.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    July 28, 2013 8:20 a.m.

@Mr Bean

I have heard people referred to as "Euro Trash", on a Utah talk radio station, merely because they come from Europe, the idea being very popular among many listeners too. These are not Mexicans or illegally here. I have heard people of British background attacked from the pulpit more than once.

I am not talking about wariness of illegal aliens I am talking about hostility to people of other nationalities and the idea, if it can be called that, that if you are born US you are superior, all else being second or third rate. I am talking about small town mentality which views 'outsiders' askance and looks on them with enmity.

OTOH I am against illegal immigration and against amnesty, yet the Romney contempt for other nations is not restricted to him; it is widespread in Utah, as well as other states.

I would neither exaggerate or minimize the problem but look it straight in the face. I do not think that all are guilty of it but many are.