U.S. & World

Obama: Trayvon Martin 'could have been me' 35 years ago

Comments

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    July 19, 2013 3:33 p.m.

What do they mean that Zimmerman identifies as Hispanic? He is half Peruvian isn't he? He is Hispanic. That is not just what he identifies as. Does Barrack Obama "identify as black?" He is only half black after all. Or is President Obama black, at least insofar as society is concerned? This whole racial spin on the case is sort of odd, especially where all of the articles state Martin was black (since he was), yet always use the phrase "identifies as Hispanic" when speaking of Zimmerman.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    July 19, 2013 3:35 p.m.

Is barack saying that he was a racist 35 years ago and referred to white people using racist terms?

Because that's what Trayvon did.

Shame on Trayvon, barack, and all others who think racism means whites treating blacks poorly.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    July 19, 2013 3:58 p.m.

I think that Ifel O'f'a-sofa brings up a good point. Are we calling Martin a victim because he was black, or because he was lawlessly shot (which a jury decided to not be the case)? I think that far too many people see Martin as a victim solely because he is BLACK.

• SpanishImmersed Mesa, AZ
    July 19, 2013 4:04 p.m.

If I had a son, he would be like Trayvon...Trayvon could have been me..

Pandering to his constituency to the utmost degree.

Meanwhile, Sir Charles Barkley stated that the jury got it right based on the evidence presented. He blames the media for giving every white racist and black racist a platform to vent their ignorance.

• djk blue springs, MO
    July 19, 2013 4:12 p.m.

obama is fanning the flames of hatred and violence. he used pot as a teen . sadly this is our leader. he needs to stay out of this . if he needs to speak on this then he needs to say 'we are all Americans no matter our linage. pull together and work side by side to build our country not tear it down. please end the protesting and violence . show our young children with unity we are one strong country. teach our youth respect and not racism. pray and ask for guidance'. ya that would be good.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    July 19, 2013 4:46 p.m.

Pres. Obama gave an excellent well-reasoned and thoughtful speech, and was careful to not question the outcome of the trial but to talk about the continuing challenges of racism, noting that there is and has been much progress with each succeeding generation. It was also interesting what he said about govt. vs society's role in combating racism.

While Pres. Obama is bi-racial, society identifies him as being "black" based on his skin color. No doubt he has long worn that label, whether it was his choosing or not. So, of course it is legitimate for Obama to note that he, as a black teenager, could've been Trayvon Martin.

Trayvon Martin's toxicology results showed only trace amounts of THC such that it may have been ingested days earlier and played no role in his behavior.
    Trayvon Martin told his friend he went out to buy "Skittles and Arizona" for his father's fiance's son.

• peter Alpine, UT
    July 19, 2013 5:38 p.m.

Now, there's a thought....

• Ophelia Bountiful, UT
    July 19, 2013 6:03 p.m.

Thank you, President Obama, for discussing a controversial issue with calm dignity and wisdom. I agree that we are getting better; we are working towards being a more perfect union. For example, my great, great grandparents had a "hanging tree" in there community. How horrific! We still have a long way to go, but we can't lose sight of the fact that we are getting better as a nation.

I also agree with President Obama's comments about talk. Talking -- or writing for that matter -- doesn't do a lot of good. We tend to talk and gripe to people who are very similar in beliefs. In fact, talk can actually exacerbate prejudice. It's honest soul-searching, self-reflection, and experience with others who are different than we are that helps us overcome prejudice and discrimination.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 19, 2013 6:05 p.m.

He was talking about how black people are viewed with heightened suspicion due to race, the way Zimmermann thought Treyvon was somehow suspicious despite being some guy with convenience store items talking on a phone. That's the comparison he was drawing, but half the comments are busy not paying attention to context.

• riverofsun St.George, Utah
    July 19, 2013 6:21 p.m.

So many of the hateful comments on this board so remind me of my uniformed, bigoted ancestors.
    For many reasons those older people from days gone by constantly used racial slurs against Japanese, Jewish, Italians, Mexican, Polish, Russian, Korean, Vietnamese, etc.
    America must evolve beyond the racial slurs and hatred of those who don't see themselves as anything but white Americans.
    As our thoughtful President stated today, "We are making progress".
    Our children and grandchildren are leading the way in compassion and understanding in so many areas.
    Hope I will live long enough to look back on this and find that my descendants are in denial that people ever acted in such a distasteful way towards anyone of any race.

• KJB1 Eugene, OR
    July 19, 2013 7:01 p.m.

OK, so I'll try this again:

Let's say that a white teenager was killed in an incident like this one. Then let's say that President Bush (or President Romney, as long as we're being hypothetical) said that the victim could have been him as a kid.

Would the people on this board be accusing him of "stoking hatred?" I'm guessing they wouldn't...

• Bob K porland, OR
    July 19, 2013 8:38 p.m.

Very, very SAD that the most liked comments here leave out many facts and twist others
    Anyone who is not aware that Black sons are told by their fathers how to avoid being arrested and possibly shot, anyone who does not think that White people often show fear when they see a perfectly respectable Black man ---- educate yourselves, please!
    The President's speech was heartfelt and moving, and suggests we solve a lot of issues that we have buried.
    I especially invite anyone living in a very White area to educated himself on this, and not make assumptions based on your own experience alone.
    If you went on a mission, and knocked on doors, some of the people showed you a little bit of the reaction that many Black people get every day.
    ........... and they do not have to be perfect to be American citizens

• Billy Budd Saint George, UT
    July 19, 2013 10:05 p.m.

I listened to as well as watched President Obama's comments.

Since I'm not a black male and therefore have no life experience as a black male, I appreciate a black male taking the time to respectfully offer their personal knowledge as to whatever life experiences they have had as well as how those life experiences shape their world view.

• TMR Los Angeles, CA
    July 19, 2013 10:21 p.m.

Mark - you asked a question that I have wondered about numerous times.

It is nice to see a President open up once in a while, especially on a topic of great import. Kudos to President Obama for speaking about his experiences to give us all a little more understanding and empathy for the experiences of black men across America.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    July 19, 2013 10:44 p.m.

Why do responsible news outlets keep quoting this irrelevant president?

• Mr. Bean Pheonix, AZ
    July 20, 2013 12:02 a.m.

@mohrman:
    "how does a 'white' person feel when a car comes up to them with a justice for Trayvon language with it."

Good point.

Black people across America who protest and riot because of the jury ruling are setting race relations back fifty years. This is not the way to bring Americans together or to make Americans sympathetic to the Black cause. White America cannot be forced to love and accept all non white races. There has to be a conscious effort to accept each other as brothers.

African Americans should thank their lucky stars they are here, despite all the challenges, and not in their country of origin... as should all Americans.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    July 20, 2013 2:04 a.m.

"He was talking about how black people are viewed with heightened suspicion due to race, the way Zimmermann thought Treyvon was somehow suspicious despite being some guy with convenience store items talking on a phone."

never mind that the FBI found no indication that Zimmerman was motivated by race, rather than merely suspicious behavior = indeed Zimmerman dated a black woman and has black relatives and is no more white than Obama is - the assumption that the ONLY reason anyone would be suspicious of an unknown kid in a neighborhood where crime had recently happened is because of his skin color - is Eric Holder/Al Sharpton/NBC/New York Times racialist stereotyping

Obama gave a good talk - then proceeded to prove he is the biggest panderer to racialism of all

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    July 20, 2013 9:30 a.m.

No one here has spoken about why white people often feel uneasy around some black males. There are reasons for everything. Black males are involved in a highly disproportionate percentage of crime in this country. It's a actual fact. And mentioning proven facts doesn't make anyone a racist or a bigot.
    This particular fact means that blacks are at least somewhat responsible for some of the fear and distrust they sometimes receive, though not all of it. I don't mention this as an excuse for all such actions by non-blacks. But it nevertheless is a valid factor to at least consider.

• LetsDebate PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    July 20, 2013 9:48 a.m.

From the article:

"And he raised the provocative question of whether Martin himself, if he had been armed and of age, "could he have stood his ground on that sidewalk" and shot Zimmerman if he felt threatened when being followed."

What ridiculous and dangerous logic. So, according to President Obama, a black person is justified in using deadly force on a white person just on the basis of fear of being followed, but a white person is not justified in using deadly force when actually being beaten by a black person. That seems to be the overriding message of all the protesters as well. Black people have different experiences, so anything they do is justified, and any acts of violence upon white people must be submissively taken without putting up a defense.

I think President Obama could have made a very important message by suggesting that people of any race should defend themselves with words, even heated words if necessary, but that escalation to physical violence leads to unpredictable and often tragic results, and Trayvon Martin would likely be alive today if he had followed that advice.

• Joan Watson TWIN FALLS, ID
    July 20, 2013 10:20 a.m.

In response to Pres Obama's state ment that he could have been trayvon Martin 35 years ago - but the fact is he wasn't. Pres Obama took advantage of his education opportunities - was not suspended from school,and though he may have done minor things he should not have done - as do many teenagers - he succeded in becomeing a senator and President of the United States. He would have had the admiration and apporval of such great black leaders such as Booker T. Washington, Frederick Douglas, Martin King and yes how proud would be Bill Crosby! His recent address to this nation of all races, brought about by the unfortunate death of Trayvon Martin, could not, and did not unite or inspire many citzens of this coutry to live better and do better. In fact it had the opposite effect. As one who has lived long to have heard the Presidential addresses from Roosevelt, Truman, Eisenhower, Regan, and others, Obama's address was a dissapointment.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 20, 2013 11:01 a.m.

I totally agree. There are similarities between the two.

• G L W8 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    July 20, 2013 12:28 p.m.

@ morhman "how do you think a white person feels walking in Harlem..."
    Reminds me of a trip I took through Greenville, Mississippi, right after some race riots there. My car broke down, and the repair shop at hand had a group of blacks standing in front. When I started walking toward them, I got extremely suspicious stares.
    At about twenty paces, I called for their help. The second they heard my western accent, the visage on their faces immediately changed. They all came over, pushed my car into the shop, and welcomed me and my small family to Mississippi. It's a lesson in tolerance, casting prejudices aside, showing kindness and hospitality to those that are different, etc., I will never forget.
    The shop owner fixed my car, charged a fair price, and we went on our way.

• Cate SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 20, 2013 1:01 p.m.

After reading many of the comments left here, I am left to wonder how many actually listened to what the President said. As one person mentioned above, they were thoughtful, calm questions he raised while at the same time acknowledging that due process was met in the trial. I thought I had grown immune to the utter hatred I hear in this state toward the President, but when it gets to the level of the comments I read today, I feel ready to pack my bags. I do not belong to any political party, and though I do not always agree with the President (whether it is Bush or Obama), I still respect the office, and the efforts of our presidents to meet their challenges. I believe it is possible to listen, disagree, challenge, and stand up for you believe in without all this childish vitriol. I appreciated the President's candor and calm expression of what he sees as the challenges we still face with regard to racism, and I will continue to examine my own thoughts and attitudes not only about racism, but all manner of intolerance. May we all have more empathy and peace in our hearts.

• Miss Piggie Pheonix, AZ
    July 20, 2013 1:29 p.m.

@Chris B:
    "And barack is comparing himself to him."

Instead of making an effort to solve the problem that the president recites to the world, he should spend his effort on solutions... emphasize the value of coherent families with a mother and a father. Stats show that seventy percent of Black babies are born out of wed lock. Start there, Mr. President.

• SLars Provo, UT
    July 20, 2013 4:21 p.m.

The pictures we are seeing of Martin are a total fabrication. Search his name "at 17" and see a 6'2" man at 175 pounds skilled in martial arts, with Tattoos on his face. If he doesn't have the tattoos, it's a much younger picture of him.

The picture put up by the ap showing him and Zimmerman side by side, shows him at 12.

Tell me this has not been a fabrication by the media.

• LetsDebate PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    July 20, 2013 4:45 p.m.

@Mark - Dude! Did you even read the rest of my comment? What does President Obama hope to gain by suggesting someone, ANYONE, should "apply their rights" and gun down someone on the SINGULAR basis of being afraid, whether it's within the law or not? My entire point was that Obama should espouse a more peaceful approach to frightening circumstances. Talk it out, even if it gets heated, but never be the first to resort to violence, as the only available evidence suggests that Trayvon Martin did.

With no evidence to suggest otherwise, it was Trayvon Martin who escalated the situation into a physically violent confrontation. Even if he had screamed at Zimmerman, without punching, there's a good chance this would have ended in a yelling match, with perhaps the police breaking up a disturbance of the peace. Trayvon had no reason to believe he would be harmed by any person he did not personally attack that night.

But no, Obama and people like you have to make sure every black person feels their fright or hurt feelings justify violent physical aggression, and people of all other races must just take the assault without defending themselves.

• jeanie orem, UT
    July 20, 2013 4:57 p.m.

I voiced my suspicions about President Obama making any comments about the trial at all but then listened to what he said. I am not necessarily a fan of Obama's policies but I appreciated his perspective on being a black man in America. President Obama does not look white. Anyone reacting to him as a young man would not stop and ask about his ancestry. They would have seen him, and apparently did, as black.

LDS people share one thing with the black community and that is a history of oppression. Our suffering did not last nearly as long as the generations of slavery (and the evils that went with it)as it did for the black community, yet the LDS community still displays sensitive to anything that looks like intolerance. Is not surprising that many in the black community, with its much longer and deeper history, might see things differently?

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    July 20, 2013 5:07 p.m.

Amen Cate. Well said. I find it interesting to read the comments especially from people living in a state, dominated by a church which sends young men and women all over the world, to every state and neighborhood in the nation, hoping people will open their hearts and minds to their message.

Re:SLars

According to the actual autopsy report, Trayvon was 5'11" and 158 lbs. He had no tattoos on his face (as I recall he had a couple of small ones on his arms? or hand?)

The picture you are referring to, the one with tattoos on his face is the total FABRICATION. It is not him.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    July 20, 2013 6:04 p.m.

DSB, I'm not twisting the Florida law at all. It is exactly as I describe it. As Zimmerman's defense attorney, O'Mara said: Not a single injury needs to be inflicted to claim self defense under Florida law, not even "a scratch on you finger."

Yeah, it sounds silly, doesn't it? But that IS what Florida law says.

By the way, Zimmerman did not have a broken nose, nor arguably a "bashed" head. I've seen bashed heads, that ain't what Zimmerman had. Two small scrapes? Give me a break.

"Does anyone really believe fear alone, with no evidence of aggravating circumstances, allows people in Florida to kill each other. Be real."

Yes. Yes. Have you people not got that yet? Really? That IS what the law says in Florida. All that is needed is the fear of death or bodily harm. Nothing else. No aggravating circumstances.

• The Deuce Livermore, CA
    July 20, 2013 6:10 p.m.

Pres. Obama spoke of a situation that I am sure faces all black men. I am not in favor of continuing to keep talking about whether this was racist or not. The judicial system worked the way it was supposed to. Both sides were presented and the prosecution did not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Zimmereman was guilty. For those conitnuing to pursue this boarders on vengance and not justice. I believe the system works well for all. My question to all is what is the cause of the suggested issues by Pres. Obama as to why black men are perceived the way he described. Maybe if this perception was changed, we would not be talking about this type of issue. I would like to know why there is this perception.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    July 20, 2013 7:15 p.m.

Mark - you can believe whatever you want, but anyone who shoots someone else, without suffering so much as a scratch, as ridiculously described by Zimmerman's attorney, would have a much more difficult time in a court law than someone with a broken nose (yes - his nose was broken even if you live in denial of that well established fact), and whose head was in fact hit against the cement. The jury was looking for a reason to convict of manslaughter, but the physical evidence and witness testimony established a very credible self defense situation. Anyone who thinks "I was scared, so I shot him" makes an open and shut defense in any state, has an extremely high naivete threshold, and will probably spend a lot of time in jail if he wants to test out such a stupid interpretation of the law.

Other than your make-believe what-if scenario of Zimmerman possibly throwing the first punch, you have no evidence whatsoever that Zimmerman did anything physical to provoke the aggressive beat-down he suffered from Trayvon Martin. I'm pretty sure the prosecution would have pointed out any evidence that Trayvon suffered anything prior to the gunshot wound.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    July 20, 2013 8:15 p.m.

DSB, what part of the Florida law don't you understand? It is a very controversial law, and it says exactly what I'm saying it does. Look it up. To prove self defense under Florida law all that is required is that a reasonable person would feel that there was a possibility of death or grave bodily injury. I'm not making it up. The statute, like the defense attorney said, does not require and actual physical injury. Dude, don't believe me, go read it yourself. Also it does not require anyone to retreat.

What do you mean his nose was broken? Did you watch any of the testimony in the case? His nose wasn't broken. Where are you getting that from? The same place the other guy got that Martin had tattoos on his face?

"Zimmerman possibly throwing the first punch, you have no evidence whatsoever that Zimmerman did anything physical to provoke the aggressive beat-down "

Aggressive bear down? Hardly. Seems you haven't seen too much of what a real beat down looks like.

And again Zimmerman did not have to throw a punch for Martin to defend himself. Read the Florida law.

• SLars Provo, UT
    July 20, 2013 8:45 p.m.

I made a mistake with the Tatoos on the face, will the US media accept their mistake for putting Zimmermans mug shot next to a picture of 12 year old Martin. There are real updated pictures of him floating around. (a couple off his face book site)

For those arguing the stand your ground law, Zimmerman waived his right to use them in his defense. The stand your ground argument is irrelevant.

Obama first used the white Hispanis name. I felt that he used to make it appear that this was not a sign of problems between our diverse minorities. That it was better to blame a white man for it, than to blame someone from his voting block. Obama showed his dislike for his white heratige on this. He needs to learn to keep his mouth shut.

Pretty much everyone has been a racist on this, except Zimmerman who was cleared by the FBI.

• Neanderthal Pheonix, AZ
    July 20, 2013 10:50 p.m.

Apparently its not in the psyche to identify and solve problems... just insist that everyone accommodate.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    July 21, 2013 3:47 p.m.

@Mark - I see you can't my challenge to the actual application of law, and the risk one faces of prosecution for killing someone out of fear, with no other aggravating factors to show self defense. That's ok - I know you don't have a single case to cite, or any reasonable response to the questions I posed to you.

Guess what - I get it! What you don't seem to get is that if prosecutors don't believe you were really scared enough to warrant killing someone, they can still bring charges against you. Then, you would have to convince a jury of your supposed fear. What part of "application of the law" don't you get?

Tell me of one single case where someone successfully defended themselves against a murder or manslaughter indictment by claiming nothing more than being scared. If it's allowed, surely someone has done it successfully. Just name one.

BTW, Lindzee Folgate, a medical witness in the trial, testified the condition of Zimmerman's nose was consistent with a break. Did you watch any of the testimony in the case? His nose was broken. Where are you getting that it wasn't - MSNBC?

• Gram Cracker Price, UT
    July 21, 2013 5:26 p.m.

Every night in America a black male kills another black male. Perhaps, since our President feels it is appropriate to say anything at all, he should address this very serious situation.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    July 21, 2013 5:43 p.m.

Trayvon could have grown up to be president.

• postaledith Freeland, WA
    July 21, 2013 5:50 p.m.

I loved the speech that President Obama gave about Trayvon Martin. It was historical and very relevant. I believe it was also very heartfelt. I am very happy that he spoke up. There are some serious changes that need to be made on how we treat each other.

• vangroovin West Jordan, UT
    July 22, 2013 12:31 p.m.

There is lots of discussion here about race and the trials that exist from being classed as "different". I think when it comes to issues like this, we all want to look like we are superior and we all want everyone to look at us and see how cool we are. The fact of the matter is, regardless of race, ethnicity, language, religion, culture, etc., we ALL have challenges. We have ALL faced hardships. We have ALL experienced social problems to one extent or another. I don't believe that having a dialogue focused on our differences is beneficial only in how they unite us and make us stronger as a people. Until we can accept those differences and utilize those differences to our advantage without discrimination or drawing undue attention to one or the other, then we will truly become great as a people. Diversity is more than mere inclusion. We all have attributes, let's focus on what things we all bring to the table instead of diminish everyone. Hate never brings about a positive result. Love has the power to change people for the better. Why can't we strive to help people be their best selves?

• Midwest Mom Soldiers Grove, WI
    July 23, 2013 12:49 a.m.

As a child, I was in one of those cars that had adults locking the doors, when they saw young black men. Their actions inspired fear in me and, yet, it made me feel ashamed. I am equally afraid, and ashamed, of the bigotry I read here today.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2013 3:41 a.m.

Well, DSB, how about if you read up on the Aaron Searle case? There is an interesting use of the self defense law. Although the killer, who was very drunk when he killed, his police statement didn't match what the security camera footage showed and did not agree with eyewitness accounts, a jury just cleared him saying he used self defense.

It's interesting to read about that case because, as in the Zimmerman trial, Searle never testified, under oath and subject to cross, yet they allowed him to tell his side of the story through the police video.

In the video he hit every note for self defense: I felt my life was in danger, I thought I was going to be killed, etc. and yet remember, the video footage and eyewitness testimony directly contradicted him. They showed that Searle was waiting outside with his gun and aimed it at the victim and his girlfriend. The victim tried to disarm him.

Searle was found not guilty.

As far as shooting people with out aggravating circumstances, there is actually a lot of very strange stuff going on out there in the name of self defense.

• TimBehrend Auckland NZ, 00
    July 23, 2013 6:19 a.m.

"White America cannot be forced to love and accept all non white races." Mr Bean, why must we be forced to love our own brothers and sisters? Shouldn't it be our default position?

• ApacheNaiche PINETOP, AZ
    July 23, 2013 8:50 a.m.

Could have, would have, should have!

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    July 23, 2013 1:07 p.m.

@mark - I found nothing about Aaron Searle on Google or Bing. Given that, and your tendency to distort and distract from any question I pose to you, I have serious doubts that he or anyone else was allowed to just shoot someone with no more cause than fear in his mind, unsupported by any presented circumstances. I think there's a high probability you left out critical pieces of information.

You unwittingly prove my point, however, because even if this supposed defendant existed, he was still charged with something, despite a law you believe gives him full immunity from consequences. And, he had to prove his fear to a jury through a self defense claim - not just claim it to police and walk away because the law allows it. As we learned from the Zimmerman trial, and as you have now admitted, fear alone is not enough to spare one from prosecution, and even with credible fear and aggravating circumstances, the jury could have legally convicted Zimmerman if they did not believe his fear or self defense contention, and apparently Searle faced the same possibilities, if such a trial actually occurred.

• fourfunsons Calgary, 00
    July 23, 2013 1:49 p.m.

Someone mentioned that Trayvon was a thug. Obama, were you a thug 35 years ago? Did you change your life around somehow? How on earth did you get to where you are today? It's shameful. Many of the people live in ignorance.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 23, 2013 11:50 p.m.

Barack has taken white black race relations to a new historic low during his 5 years.

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    July 25, 2013 12:31 p.m.

The comments made by some of the people in this comment section do show underlying racism even though most would say they are not racist.
    I am white. I am of English decent. I have had an extreme amount of experience working with African Americans and other Caucasians and I'm here to testify that racism does exist and is underlying with a great number of Blacks and Whites.
    I see hope in as much as our youth are more open and understanding but in the over 30 crowd, if you say you aren't racist and if you truly are not, you are in the minority.
    African Americans are just like us. They love their families and love this country.. They want to hold jobs and want to succeed and a great number do but folks, some of your comments here are anti Black. These comments are why some Black kids and adults can't find work. Why they feel put upon. Because they are.
    Why can't we follow the teachings of Jesus and "love one another"?
    John Lennon said it best in his song, give peace a chance.
    Stop the hate..... Please.... Please????

• totom Warwick, RI
    July 26, 2013 10:37 a.m.

First and foremost my heart goes out to the family of this little girl. Why no news headlines in Washington? Mr. President there was a 6 year old girl shot and killed in Chicago. "6 YEARS OLD". Was the person white or black that shot her? Was she gang affiliated? Was she somebodies loved child? Was she racially profiled for being young and Black and being at a memorial for a killing 5 years ago? Why doesn't this bring in the black activists waving their arms of controversy? Is it because it involves black against black crime sir? An unpleasant topic for political and activist gain. I am a white male and see this as a travesty to your young generation. The odds on them listening to me are slim; they would all say how do you know what it's like to be Black? I don't. But you do sir. Mr. Sharpton does as well as M. Jackson does. We all have to have respect for someone sir you know that. To still be blaming this on the white society, shameful. Civil rights have come a long way with a lot of whites help. You have the stage sir.

• RDJntx Austin, TX
    July 27, 2013 12:36 p.m.

I see obama has yet to familiarize himself with the FACTS of the case. he is still stuck in the race baiting non-facts presented by himself, sharpton, and jackson from the get go, when they totally IGNORED the facts so they could make this the racially divided mess that it currently is and apparently is destined to remain