Opinion

In our opinion: Reaching a bit too far

Comments

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    July 12, 2013 5:04 a.m.

the fix is simple - I think, though I know someone will correct me if my basic assumption is incorrect.

I assume - please correct me if I am wrong - that violations of state law would be heard in state court. amend the statute to require state judges to dismiss any land use charges brought by federal athorities based on state laws. the feds can charge all they want, but the cases will be dismissed in court. The feds will see the futility and stop.

if they can make charges based on federal law, they should do that in the first place, but if all they have is state law, and they know it will be heard in state court and there dismissed, they will be less likely to abuse their authority.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    July 12, 2013 8:39 a.m.

Because the local authorities (Hurricane) would never abuse the system.
    Because the sheriff and his little buddy Mike Noel would never go pulling up park signs in Escalante Monument.
    Because Utah never seems to care if theres a republican in the White House.

Petty little men in our legislature who believe in the law of the land, but only before statehood.

• KDave Moab, UT
    July 12, 2013 9:01 a.m.

Yet the courts have ruled that States cannot enforce Federal Law (immigration).

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    July 12, 2013 11:41 p.m.

I thought the Constitution was divinely inspired?

Why do repubs hate the Supreme Court and the Constitution so much?

• care4usa Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 13, 2013 10:39 p.m.

Um, because the Supreme Court doesn't rely on the Constitution. They base their decisions on precedent set by previous Supreme Court decisions not on the Constitution.

• care4usa Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 13, 2013 10:41 p.m.

We have great respect for the Constitution far less on the black robed mafia that sit on the courts.