U.S. & World

Florida cities on guard for any post-Zimmerman unrest

Comments

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 11, 2013 8:47 a.m.

The verdict is the verdict.

What I want to know is... WHERE IS THE PRESIDENT?

Be a LEADER! SAY something! Come out proactively and remind America that our whole society is based on the "Rule-of-law"!

That means... when the jury's verdict is in, it no longer matters what we think, or what the protesters think, or what Jessie Jackson thinks, or what Al Sharpton thinks, or even what the family thinks. All that matters is what the judge and the jury that heard the evidence thinks. That's the way our justice system works. You may as well throw our justice system out if we are supposed to trust the protesters over the jury.

I thought O. J. Simpson was guilty. A Jury of his peers disagreed. It's MY JOB to learn to accept the Jury's decision. It doesn't matter what the protesters think or do.

A President SHOULD be proactive and say something BEFORE this becomes a trigger-point for race riots.

• George New York, NY
    July 11, 2013 9:18 a.m.

@2bits

and as soon as the president does speak out the far right will accuse him of sticking his nose were it does not belong and be go off about his needing to focus on the economy. Give the double talk attacks a rest for once. not every thread on every subject under the sun needs to be about your destine for the president.

• Mark B Eureka, CA
    July 11, 2013 9:23 a.m.

We get it. If the President says anything on this matter, then he's interfering in state issues that are none of his business. But if he DOESN'T say anything, then he's not a leader.

Of course, neither 2 bits nor Florida has any plan for what could happen that might give the Zimmermans of the world an excuse to take up their weaponry and express their anger. Nope. All the danger, according to Florida and Fox News, is the other way.

• ThornBirds St.George, Utah
    July 11, 2013 9:32 a.m.

If Zimmerman is acquitted, this judgement lets America know it is just fine to profile a child or teenager walking in a neighborhood with their hood up on their sweatshirt.
    An acquittal means a hothead gun owner can crank up his imagination, pretend to be a law enforcement official, and act out some violent film he has recently viewed.
    An acquittal of George Zimmerman, a disturbed urban cowboy, sends a message that an individual is allowed to ignore the area's Police when a Police officer tell him, "Do not get out of your car and follow this individual, we will be right there".

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 11, 2013 9:42 a.m.

George,
    I think the far-right would welcome him saying something to DE-escalate the issue. I think they would be upset IF he used this crisis to escalate the race angle... like his instinctively siding with protesters and his "The police acted stupidly" comment when the Harvard professor was arrested. (a statement he later retracted and admitted was his instinctual response and was offered before he had all the info on the case).

I think IF he just reminded the American people that we are still a nation based on rule-of-law (meaning we accept even verdicts we don't agree with, and the Constitutionally required trial by a jury of your peers is what counts, not the opinion of a mob, protesters, riots, etc)... they would totally welcome that.

Do you REALLY think the far-right would complain about that?

I wouldn't complain if he took this opportunity speak to the people and try to do some teaching, and try proactively to exert his influence as President, and make a passionate plea to wind down the protests we KNOW are coming (instead of his usual reactionary style of leadership).

• teleste Austin, TX
    July 11, 2013 9:55 a.m.

I don't think George or Mark B understood 2 bits' first comment. 2 bits suggests that the President should speak out to all Americans to remain calm after the verdict and let the legal system function. Not race bait or remain silent as he has done in the past.

@ThornBirds

From the limited facts I know of the case (Trayvon on top...), I hope Zimmerman walks.

• George New York, NY
    July 11, 2013 9:55 a.m.

@2bits

"Do you REALLY think the far-right would complain about that? (instead of his usual reactionary style of leadership)." yes I do and I think the history of the past 5 years clearly shows they/you would.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    July 11, 2013 10:15 a.m.

@teleste

What exactly in George or marks comments makes you think they did not understand 2bits? 2bits and your comments that include in part your need to claim the president has race baited in past situations clearly shows the bias that George and mark are talking about. Simply because George and mark disagree with your assertions and question your motivations does not mean they did not understand.

• Mark B Eureka, CA
    July 11, 2013 10:26 a.m.

There's almost no limit to the "right" to complain and whine, even when it makes no sense. I recall when Republican bigshots objected loudly both when the Clinton-directed bombing of Belgrade in the '90s began AND when it stopped. That was a pretty clear message on WHO they thought the real enemy was. It certainly wasn't the Serbs.

• George New York, NY
    July 11, 2013 10:28 a.m.

@teleste

I feel comfortable that I one understand his post and two have grounds to question the true motivations of both of you given the comments below that have been made on this thread let alone the long history of past comment threads.

"He's supposed to be a "Leader". And he said he would be uniquely qualified (because of the race card) to help America overcome it's racial problems."

"instead of his usual reactionary style of leadership"

"Not race bait or remain silent as he has done in the past"

why would I possibly be suspicious?

• teleste Austin, TX
    July 11, 2013 10:58 a.m.

@Tolstoy and all

I don't claim to be impartial. I voted against Obama twice and would again. I also stated above from what I understand of the case, I think Zimmerman should walk. Those are my biases.

IMO their responses didn't address 2 bits comments which is why I thought they perhaps misunderstood it. Why would it be bad for the POTUS to speak out to keep the nation calm (2 bits' actual suggestion)? George and Mark B's assertions that the POTUS would be hit by that from the GOP aren't a good enough reason for him not to the right thing (which 2 bits and I are suggesting is to speak out). Even if the GOP did that, it'd be to their detriment and show their shallowness, not POTUS'.

"Not race bait or remain silent as he has done in the past" -- I stand by saying that he has done this in the past. (Officer in the Harvard case anyone...?!?)

Why not speak out now? I hope POTUS does. It'd be to his credit even if the GOP gives undue heat.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 11, 2013 11:06 a.m.

George,
    What exactly has Barack Obama done or said in the past 6 years to help solve America's racial issues (as he promised)?

If you can point to ONE SPEECH, or ONE ACT... I'd like to hear it.

• George New York, NY
    July 11, 2013 12:08 p.m.

@teleste and 2bits

Should he speak out? probably. have you placed yourselves through your own words in a position to be taken at face value when you make such calls for action? no. All you are doing at this point is reaffirming the point that you will attack regardless so your calls to do something ring hollow.

• teleste Austin, TX
    July 11, 2013 12:20 p.m.

"All you are doing at this point is reaffirming the point that you will attack regardless so your calls to do something ring hollow."

"Should he speak out? probably."

Good. We agree.

• LelandTC West Valley City, 00
    July 11, 2013 12:39 p.m.

Racism is an interesting subject. I suspect it is due to fear. Mostly fear of the unknown, or of what has happened in the past. I am not sure if it belongs in a class by itself. It engenders a similar response to religious and ethnic steroetyping and prejudices. So rather than naming it racism why not simply call it prejudice? This would appeal to a larger group of people as an injustice than a more specifically named vice, and would not keep feeding the "different-than-you monster". I think the bottom line is, we all have fears. Whether it is about injustices, oppression, or even physical harm. We need to keep our emotions in check, to think beyond our inner-self insecurities. To protest real injustices, but hold in check imagined ones. We all want justice. A murderer is a murderer and is not wanted in society by anyone, but we all must be able to defend ourselves against those who would be violent toward us. Have faith in God that even if we get justice wrong, He will hold accountable those who have done wrong. Let's abolish the racism divide.

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    July 11, 2013 1:08 p.m.

George of New York City,

Because of where I live, peace will prevail in my community regardless of the outcome in the Zimmerman trial. There will be no demonstrations. There will be no riots. There will be no looting or shoplifting or destruction of property. If President Obama decides to calm the nation during and after this volatile verdict, it won't make any difference here.

If I were from New York City, I would be most anxious for President Obama to take a proactive leadership role. But, hey, if you don't see any value in it, go ahead and enjoy the consequences.

I admit, I have lived a life sheltered from racial conflict. My friends have included a mix of races including some who identify with every major racial group. Here, there is neighborliness among them all. My own children have performed missionary service in Canada, Scandinavia, Italy, Africa, Mexico, China and Japan, and friends from each of these missions have spent time in our home.

It is for you, George, and your neighbors, that I would like to see President Obama spread some healing oil on troubled waters.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    July 11, 2013 1:22 p.m.

@teleste

"Wrong. I have said I will support him for speaking out. That's what you want to make me out to be."

"Not race bait or remain silent as he has done in the past' -- I stand by saying that he has done this in the past. (Officer in the Harvard case anyone...?!?)"

I think you have done a little more then simply support him speaking out, don't you?

"That said, I think you have good reason to believe that the political opposition will attack. It happens all the time and comes from both sides of the aisle. It isn't a good enough reason not to speak out."

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 11, 2013 1:49 p.m.

@linus

I lived in New York for several years (hence the screen name) and I have to say your comment does seem to show that you indeed did live a sheltered life that has lead to some unfortunate prejudices and condescending attitude towards a city and people you clearly know nothing about.

• teleste Austin, TX
    July 11, 2013 2:37 p.m.

"I think he does have good reason as well seeing as you could not resist the chance to take a couple of shots at the President yourself."

So?

It is not inconsistent for me (or anyone) to criticize him for mistakes in the past while promising to support him for doing what is right in the future.

Your nit-picking of my comments amounts to nothing, and actually didn't give any reasonable rebuttal to my primary argument.

I hope the president speaks out.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    July 11, 2013 3:00 p.m.

Re: Tolstoy
    "You are exactly wrong. Convicting Zimmerman would tell all criminals that neighborhood watch groups have no power to defend themselves or their property(from presumed threats) and that anyone/everyone is free game because if the citizens use (deadly) force to defend themselves, they'll become the criminal.

From the limited facts I know of the case (Trayvon on top...), I hope Zimmerman walks"

This is hilariously sad. You go on about what the implications of this case are, and then say "from the limited facts I know of this case" which appears to simply be that at one point Trayvon Martin was on top of Zimmerman, that you hope he gets to walk. Spouting off about things that you yourself admit that you know very little about is a favorite pastime of some people it seems.

I've got to hand it to people though. They can make anything political.

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 11, 2013 3:13 p.m.

@linus

As someone that lived in NY for several years I have to say your comment is very insulting and an unfair portrayal of a great city and its people.

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    July 11, 2013 3:44 p.m.

spring street, Salt Lake City, UT,

"After police initially refused to arrest Zimmerman, there were many large but peaceful protests in both Sanford and the Miami area — as well as in New York and other cities."

I expressed concern for George and his community only because of this line in the article. I have spent a lot of time in New York and in New York City. While I have never been the target of any violence in New York City, plenty of other have been.

I don't apologize for living in a locale sheltered from racial conflict. I don't think my comment revealed any "unfortunate prejudices," nor did I demonstrate any "condescending attitudes" toward New Yorkers, but perhaps you could see these in the mirror. As for myself, I have enjoyed my time in New York City. You can find anything there . . . good and not so good.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    July 11, 2013 3:45 p.m.

@Ragnar Danneskjold

I think you may have gotten me confused with thornbird as those are thier quotes not mine.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    July 11, 2013 4:03 p.m.

You are right. That is from "teleste", my apologies.

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    July 11, 2013 4:19 p.m.

What would we do if Hispanics rioted if Z is convicted? Seems to me Z has black ancestry?

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    July 12, 2013 4:43 a.m.

2bits
    Don’t expect anything from BO. You remember what his good friend Rahm said, don’t you? Never let a crisis go to waste. He'll use at an excuse to for some repusluve presidential edict/dictate down on us.

ThornBirds
    You wear the race card so well.

I guess the members of Nicole Brown’s race should have rioted after OJ’s acquittal?

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    July 12, 2013 9:01 a.m.

From what I've learned, Trayvon Martin (covered in tatoos and gold teeth, possessing expensive jewelry and unusal items he "found" on his way to school, with tools typically used for theft in his locker at school, who had a posting name of "Wild (a racist word that can't be repeated here) on his own Facebook account, who a bus driver tried to have thrown off a bus for refusing to pay the fare) probably did attack Zimmerman and Zimmerman should therefore probably go free.

And....from what we've seen in the past, many of Martin's race most likely WILL bring about violence, to include the destruction of personal property and quite possibly, even death to an innocent bystander of a different race. Call me a racist if you want but does anyone remember what happened when Rodney King came into the spotlight? Does anyone remember what happened when OJ Simpson walked free?

Yeah, my point exactly....

Where's President Obama and Bill Cosby and all the other great black leaders when you need them? (Can't stand Obama but I deeply love and respect Bill Cosby...he's the best! A funny man with common sense!)

• Mark B Eureka, CA
    July 12, 2013 3:28 p.m.

I propose a racism test we can all perform in privacy which might reveal something of ourselves. It's simple. Just ask yourself if your feelings on the case and the outcome you think is closer to "justice" would be the same if the shooter and the victim had been reversed.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    July 12, 2013 4:06 p.m.

They are/were both punks and both did things they should not have, but one is dead.
    Last neighborhood watchers I remember are the two who got in a shoot out because
    both had more fire power than common sense.

If Zimmerman would have followed the instruction given by the 911 operator none of this would have happened either, but he had a gun and new better than the police.