Opinion

Letter: Glenn Beck needs to moderate his rhetoric

Comments

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    July 7, 2013 3:05 a.m.

Glenn Beck is no different from other demagogues in American history, Joe McCarthy, Father Coughlin, etc., with their nonsense. He is consistently puerile, mean-spirited, and disrespectful to say the least. But this brother makes it clear that Beck is making a serious mess for the LDS church to which I belong. I wish he would grow up.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    July 7, 2013 7:10 a.m.

Beck needs to keep 'bringing the crazy'. It's his schtick, and it's funny, if nothing else. A little concerning, perhaps, how many people seek him out that seem to attribute value beyond comedy to his routine, but I guess that's the state of society today. I imagine a lot of French people don't just wonder about beck but also those who follow?

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    July 7, 2013 7:16 a.m.

People don't pay money to see "moderate".

From the DN write up on Beck's latest show " Beck's overarching mission right now isn't necessarily political, he said. It's spiritual. He envisions growing kindness across America, and specifically, faithful members of various religions who respect and admire one another."

It is interesting how much his mission statement isn't in concert with his rhetoric. It is an odd way to spread the gospel by castigating those who live on the other side of some arbitrary man made line. Patriotism is fine.... love of and loyalty to country are great things. But from a spiritual standpoint, I really doubt God loves people who live on one side of a line more or less versus another, even if they are French.

"faithful members of various religions who respect and admire one another."

You would think that statement would include people off all countries.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    July 7, 2013 7:30 a.m.

If a conservative doesn't like what a talk show host or a book author writes, he just changes the channel or doesn't buy the book. If a liberal doesn't like a talk show host or a particular book they demand opposing views be silenced, shouted down and banned. They can not resist ridiculing, demeaning and condemning people with whom the disagree. All this from people who constantly tell us they are the "tolerant" ones"! Free speech is not just for liberals anymore. It's interesting to watch and listen to how irritated and angry liberals get about Glenn Beck's successes! What blatant hypocrisy!

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    July 7, 2013 8:29 a.m.

I don't listen to Glenn Beck so I don't know what he is saying. But I can guess it probably isn't good. Thanks for the letter. In today's world, we can talk to people all over the world. So everything we say is known. Glenn Beck should probably ask himself that while what he says might sound good to some people in the US, a lot of other people are overhearing him. Maybe then he should ask himself, "What if I was talking face-to-face with this person?"

• FreedomFighter41 Orem, UT
    July 7, 2013 8:37 a.m.

Best letter I've read in quite some time.

Please, my friend, don't think that all Mormons are like Glenn Beck. In fact, I really don't see how Beck can be considered Mormon. To me, he stands for everything a Mormon should be against. Anger, paranoia, hate, lies, manipulation, etc. He does everything for money.

I don't see how anyone could be a good Mormon and watch/read Glenn Beck. I turned his show on for 5 mins and felt dirty. I would hope that many others would turn him off as well. If our savior was in the room with us, do you think he'd approve of Beck?

If not, then why are we still watching him?

• one old man Ogden, UT
    July 7, 2013 8:44 a.m.

This is an excellent letter, but it's a waste of time.

Glen Beck is NOT interested in the welfare of this nation and its people. His ONLY interest lies in the size of his bank accounts.

This letter is reasonable, but Beck is not.

• Eric Samuelsen Provo, UT
    July 7, 2013 9:49 a.m.

Mountanman,
    Uh, absolutely no one is demanding that Glenn Beck be 'silenced' or 'shouted down' or 'banned.' This letter is from a French Latter-day Saint who is merely asking Beck, as a fellow Church member, to tone down his rhetoric. Which strikes me as a perfectly reasonable thing to ask for.
    Also speaking as a liberal, I'm neither irritated or angry at Beck's successes. I'm amused by them. He's a silly man, with nothing of value to add to the national discourse; I watched his show for two weeks once, doing research for a paper, but haven't bothered with him since. But one does hear of him and what he's up to. It's worth an occasional chuckle, in the spirit of Puck's great line 'what fools these mortals be.'

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    July 7, 2013 10:11 a.m.

I seem to notice the complete absence of any specific criticism of Mr Beck.

Personally I am FOR freedom of speech and against hatred of people, without exception. It isn't very convincing to promote love of mankind while hating individuals who disagree with you, even if vehemently.

Let's discuss his teachings; quotes and context would be helpful in such a discussion.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    July 7, 2013 10:26 a.m.

The letter itself may have a great point. I haven't personally heard Glenn make anti-French comments (I listen to him fairly often but not always) even though it is an American weakness to attack France, usually all of Europe, in a blanket kind of way.

Where is the criticism, though, for the many American opinionists who dismiss an entire continent as "Euro-trash". Why don't people explain their animosity and reasonings?

Not all of Europe, for example, is in the Common Market, if you dislike supranationality,nor do all trade in Euros. Nations who do, do not enjoy the full support of their countrymen. What happened to a generous estimation of the best qualities of nations occasionally? So many do deal in self congratulation built largely on a low estimation of others, and often wilful ignorance.

Let me show you, if it is ever published to this forum, what I mean in the thread regarding home schooling in Germany. Assessing Germany in terms of its poor record in human rights historically, I have not failed to compliment Germany on producing some great inventors, scientists and composers.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    July 7, 2013 10:27 a.m.

When I tried to post a comment pointing out Mountanman's hypocrisy as he tries to accuse other of the same, it was banished by DN's censors. I'm going to try again in hopes that the censors will exercise a degree of fairness this time. This post is certainly no better nor worse than much of what he has posted here.

MM, how many times in this very blog have we heard you urging that one or another "liberal" writer, TV show, movie maker or other with whom you disagree be banished and banned?

Are you really incapable of seeing your own inconsistency or is that you do it deliberately?

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    July 7, 2013 11:04 a.m.

Glen Beck still has some growing up to do, hopefully he will do it quickly. My impression of him is he desires to do the right thing.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    July 7, 2013 11:06 a.m.

Why would any American want another American to stop using his right to speak? Glenn Beck has as much right to speak as does anyone else.

If you don't like what Glenn Beck talks about, then talk something that you do like. He believes that our government is in serious trouble. He uses facts to back up his statements. If you believe otherwise, then show us your facts. Tell us why jailing a movie maker was warranted after Benghazi. Tell why Snowden, a whistle blower, is being hunted down even as the government continues to collect information about every email that we send and every cellphone call that we make.

Governments, world-wide, use suppression of speech to intimidate people into silence.

Every American should encourage speech. In no other way will Obama's "transparency" every become "transparent".

Newspapers quake when anyone speaks out. They know that "big brother" is watching. They're afraid! Security has become more important to them than truth. It's becoming obvious that the 4th Estate is just another branch of the White House. The once-proud media is cowering before the government instead of exposing corruption.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    July 7, 2013 11:12 a.m.

"If a conservative doesn't like what a talk show host or a book author writes, he just changes the channel or doesn't buy the book."

Really.... is that why FoxNews spends most of their criticizing the other side.... rather than just reporting the news. Do we really need to list all the anti-liberal opinion pieces here on the DN, or by its readers, or even you, to prove that conservatives hardly just move on?

It is the conservative movements constant negative messaging that finally made me go from being Republican to independent. Conservatives hardly resemble anything you describe here.

And there in lies the irony of the comment. Great government comes from great debate. Dialog pro and against is the basis of all good debate. To pretend that contending ideas could not, or should not be entertained I don't think is the question here. Disagreeing with someone isn't censoring them, not is it denying them freedom of speech.

Great people can disagree in opinion and policy, and yet high levels of respect for each other. Simple mindedness is the breading ground of extreme thought... when one is unwilling to entertain others ideas.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    July 7, 2013 11:45 a.m.

re:Gildas
    "I seem to notice the complete absence of any specific criticism of Mr Beck."

Because DN moderators aren't allowing my comments giving specific examples of where Mr. Beck was wrong or angered other groups.

• anotherview SLO, CA
    July 7, 2013 12:02 p.m.

Its not just the French Glenn Beck has angered. He has angered Jewish groups as well.

• Thinkin\' Man Rexburg, ID
    July 7, 2013 12:07 p.m.

Well, it's a good thing the French never say anything bad or hateful about America, or the French toast, French Fries, French bread, and French's Mustard industries might all suffer.

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 7, 2013 12:42 p.m.

the best way to get rid of a parasite like Beck is stop feeding him. The more attention we give him the longer he sticks around. Let him have his fee speech but don't feed into it and his stage will slowly shrink into the oblivion he deserves.

• No One Of Consequence West Jordan, UT
    July 7, 2013 1:27 p.m.

As an actual Glenn Beck listener I can't recall hearing Glenn have much to say about France, the French government or the French people since they opted not to send troops to Iraq. At that time they received a good drubbing from commentators all across the political spectrum.

Those of you who only know Beck through his detractors' reports may not realize that much of his radio show is presented in satire. Those who want to discredit the man tend to quote his satire as if it were serious commentary. Taken out of context he can be portrayed as evil. I believe that the opposite is true. Mr Beck and his team soften the sharp edge of current political and social events, which without their sometimes dark humor can be depressing to conservative listeners like me.

Beck's underlying message is that people of all religions and political leanings have a lot in common and that we need to come together to face the challenges of the future.

If you check out the online programs you will find a more serious presentation of views and events.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    July 7, 2013 1:37 p.m.

By the rate of "denied" comments today --
    It appears the DN monitor is clearly an avid Glenn Beck fan.

Be sure to add "anything negative - truthful or not - toward Glenn Beck" in your DN list of reasons a posting can be denied.

• chilly Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2013 1:52 p.m.

I'd say Glenn Beck is less critical of the French than the author of the letter. Does he really think French people will judge a whole religion by one person? Beck finds humor in the French, M. Lechifflart seems to paint with even broader strokes than Glenn's jokes about French preferences for frog legs, snails and the humor of Jerry Lewis.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    July 7, 2013 3:55 p.m.

I have generally stopped listing to Glenn Beck though I do still catch him here and there. I would hate for anyone I know to judge the gospel and members generally by Glenn Beck.

He is a bright guy and here and there he has some great points. But his general "I am right and everybody else is wrong" attitude is a turnoff. Yeah, I know "he is just a teacher and encourages everybody to learn for themselves" but that is not the reality. Folks just listen to him as if he had a direct line to God.

When talking politics, I think Dallin H. Oaks said it best:

"Those who govern their thoughts and actions solely by the principles of liberalism or conservatism or intellectualism cannot be expected to agree with all of the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ. As for me, I find some wisdom in liberalism, some wisdom in conservatism, and much truth in intellectualism—but I find no salvation in any of them."

• Tyler D Meridian, ID
    July 7, 2013 4:00 p.m.

Glenn Beck and the crazy train he rides daily doesn't bother me. What does is that any more than a handful of people listen to him.

Although that concerned has lessened considerable since the day he was fired by the network that put "crazy" in the phrase crazy like a Fox.

• UT Brit London, England
    July 7, 2013 5:13 p.m.

Its not just the French. I have had to try and explain Glenn Beck after work colleagues read some of his interesting comments about Europe in general.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2013 5:34 p.m.

Beck's popularity is proof that P.T. Barnum was right.

• RichardB Murray, UT
    July 7, 2013 5:46 p.m.

Jerry Lewis had plenty of French jokes. If you talk about France in their country, they will burn your arm with their cigarette.

• Bloodhound Provo, UT
    July 7, 2013 6:28 p.m.

I'm a conservative who doesn't care much for Glenn Beck. Sometimes he acts like a juvenile on his show. And, although I don't care for President Obama, I don't think all the world's problems are created by him. He also blames everything on "progressives." He makes no distinction between the progressives of Teddy Roosevelt's era and the radical progressives of today. He also praises Ayn Rand, a woman who didn't believe in God and rubbed her affair with a younger man in her husband's face. Beck needs less time running his mouth and more time studying history and philosophy.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    July 7, 2013 8:08 p.m.

All those people that bought gold on his wild entertainment theories are in the same boat. Also. whoever listens and takes him seriously are enablers.

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    July 7, 2013 11:00 p.m.

Here is the irony of what the liberals and the letter writer are complaining about.

France is in big trouble. Their national healthcare system runs massive deficits each year, their ability to care for their people is diminished. They are taxing the wealthy so much that the wealthy are leaving France like rats from a sinking ship. The poor in the US live like the middle class in France. Glenn points out the follies of their government, and that is considered hateful? Maybe the citizens of France should look at what their government is doing and may want to consider what happens when you destroy those that pay the largest portion of their tax revenues.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    July 8, 2013 5:58 a.m.

"The poor in the US live like the middle class in France"

Redshirt... sometimes you really expose you have no idea how people live outside this country. If Gerard Depardeau is considered "rats"... then yes... he left the country to seek citizenship in Russia. Sound familiar? Should we say Americans are fleeing the US as well. Lets be real.

Did Glenn happen to mention that the big tax hike he ranted on so much, never happened? How many times do we see hair brained proposals from US elected officials, that get some air time, and then ultimately fail after closer inspection..... hint.... the answer is many.

I work with the French on a regular basis. I lived outside Paris for 4 years. I can tell you what you are saying, and are hearing, are absolutely untrue. The poor in France live much better than the poor in the US. And it depends on what you find important as to how the middle class lives. If it is number of cars or TVs... yes the middle class in the US is better off. If it is time spent with family, then the French have it much better.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    July 8, 2013 7:49 a.m.

I hope he amps up the rhetoric.
    It's people like Glenn Beck who opened my mind to learn what moderate and liberals believe. In turn I started voting democrat. My hunch is he generates more moderate/liberal voters than conservatives.
    Look at how backwards his thinking is: he keeps saying the earth is cooling.

• UT Brit London, England
    July 8, 2013 9:33 a.m.

@RedShirt

"Their national healthcare system runs massive deficits each year"

The US is the very last country in the world that can talk about healthcare costs when compared to other countries.

"The poor in the US live like the middle class in France"

I have lived in the US and I have spent quite a lot of time in France, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. The poor in France have a higher quality of life in comparison to the poor in the US, never mind the French middle class.

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2013 9:33 a.m.

re: Utah Blue Devil yesterday

*People don't pay money to see "moderate".*

Agreed. As Eric Bischoff (look him up) has been known to say, "Controversy creates cash" And that should give you real insight into Beck's motivation IMO.

• dave Park City, UT
    July 8, 2013 9:44 a.m.

Beck is interested in one thing... Money. He is akin to Howard Stern, Bubba the Love Sponge, Limbaugh and the rest of the "low culture" broadcasters. Taking him seriously is the equivalent of being a Justin Bieber groupie (Belieber). His penchant for dividing by zero is legendary.

All of his fawning fans are accomplishing nothing but making Beck a rich man.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2013 10:27 a.m.

@Redshirt
    "Their national healthcare system runs massive deficits each year"

And yet they spend a lower percentage of GDP on healthcare than we've been spending. If their system is too expensive then ours is even worse and since you want to repeal Obamacare you want absolutely nothing done about it (seeing as there's never been any substantial alternative proposed).

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 8, 2013 10:35 a.m.

So what you're basically saying is, "He must change because of my IMPRESSION of what he says" (not because of what he ACTUALLY says)?

Because if you ever actually listened to him you would know that he rarely talks about France. So if you think France is a big part Glenn Beck's Message... you are wrong. That's just your very biased IMPRESSION of his message.

I know that he talks about America's problems and bashes American politics much more than he mentions ANYTHING about France. So if you think he spends his whole show talking about France... you need to get in touch with reality.

FYI... A big part of his message IS America not destroying it's future with massive debt and socialist politics (so the example of Europe MAY come up).

And what does his being LDS have to do with anything?

If you think Beck is only known as an LDS France-basher... you need to broaden your view and try see the world more objectively, and not only through the "France is perfect" rose colored glasses.

• Informed Voter South Jordan, UT
    July 8, 2013 10:38 a.m.

Glenn Beck has been correct since 2009 when he warned of Obama's true agenda and the former terrorists and radicals found throughout his administration. Those who either have been fooled by the media or actually agree with what they think Obama is doing are the ones who belittle Beck. Supporters of Beck simply want a smaller government, lower taxes, respect for and adherence to the Constitution, and the preservation of liberty, especially the civic liberties enumerated in the Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence. Why do so many fail to recognize what is happening? Could it be they are not interested or they want more goodies from big government? Today it was announced in the media that the number of people on food stamps now exceed the numbers of workers in the private sector. Tink about that.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    July 8, 2013 10:55 a.m.

Beck’s supporters know he’s going to say things that are over the top. If he stopped doing that, he would lose his following. They don’t want a restrained approach from him. They want to hear him keep on saying things that anger the left and the center.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    July 8, 2013 11:05 a.m.

@Informed Voter
    South Jordan, UT

Today it was announced in the media that the number of people on food stamps now exceed the numbers of workers in the private sector. Think about that.
    10:38 a.m. July 8, 2013

=======

Most of those receiving Food Stamps ARE workers in the private sector. Think about that.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 8, 2013 11:21 a.m.

LDS Liberal,
    I've noticed that when a comment is rejected... there's usually a good reason.

I wouldn't go directly to your, "The DMN Is protecting Glenn Beck from my comments, waah waah".

You may want to go back and check what you are typing for terms that may be offensive, off-topic, or inappropriate. Whenever I've been rejected... I've eventually found a good reason.

But you can pretend they are just protecting Beck from your totally good and witty comments (just because they don't like you and they will only allow Pro-Beck comments). But I'd suspect there was a problem with your post. Just try again.

• UT Brit London, England
    July 8, 2013 11:53 a.m.

@2 bits

A couple of choice Glenn Beck quotes regarding France:

"I mean, I don’t know about you, but I`m to a point where I can’t even keep up with all of the reasons I hate the French.”

Can you see where this becomes a problem for the church when the gospel is being taught in France and Glenn Beck is noted as being LDS?

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    July 8, 2013 12:00 p.m.

Informed Voter,

Unless I am misreading the data, BLS reports (preliminary) private sector employment for the month of June at 114,051,000. USDA reports SNAP (Food Stamp) recipients in July at 47,661,353.

This is a huge number of SNAP recipients. But I do not see how SNAP recipients exceed the number of private workers.

Please clarify.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 8, 2013 12:01 p.m.

You gotta love when the people who express the most harsh criticism for his message also claim they have never listened to his show. If they aren't listeners... how do they claim to be Glenn Beck experts???

That would be like me claiming to be an expert on everything Rachael Maddow, Randi Rhodes, Bill Maher say... because I saw a clip of them saying something stupid on Fox News!

Can I claim to know everything the left is about... because I saw some clips from the above nit-wits selected to make them look bad? So why does the left try do this with Beck?

Just because Beck says something... doesn't mean everybody you think is "like him" thinks and says the same thing.

I think Beck should change his message when HE thinks he should. NOT when his non-listeners tell him to change.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2013 12:03 p.m.

@Informed Voter
    "Glenn Beck has been correct since 2009 "

Still waiting for that hyperinflation he was talking about way back then... how's gold doing lately?

"Today it was announced in the media that the number of people on food stamps now exceed the numbers of workers in the private sector."

Partly because companies like Walmart do this clever little thing where they pay their workers so little that they're still eligible for food stamps so it's like gov't is subsidizing worker pay. Here's the kicker though... those food stamps then oftentimes get spent by those workers at Walmart.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2013 12:09 p.m.

@Twin Lights
    BLS says 97 million in the private sector, while the USDA says 101 million receiving at least one of the 15 programs for food assistance (of which 47 million are getting SNAP).

@2bits
    "Can I claim to know everything the left is about"

Despite my being a Progressive I keep having people tell me Bush was a Progressive, Bill Kristol is a Progressive, Justice Scalia is a Progressive... (seriously I got the Scalia one once) so I guess some people think they know everything the left is about while being conservative.

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    July 8, 2013 12:22 p.m.

To "UtahBlueDevil" go and read "How Poor Are America's Poor? Examining the "Plague" of Poverty in America" at the Heritage website. They collected Census data and UN data and show that the poor in the US live equally or better than the average person is much of Europe.

To "UT Brit" how much of a deficit does the US run on its healthcare system? That is right, none. In France they recently had a $6 billion deficit. They are now cutting back on benefits and are considering charging more for healthcare.

To "atl134" and they also have worse medical outcomes than the US does, and they also have fewer medical staff available than the US.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    July 8, 2013 12:33 p.m.

UT Brit,

"....Now look up some of his quotes about Europe in general, do you see why his statements may damage the churches reputation?"
    ______________________________

Glenn Beck speaks for himself. He doesn't state the Mormon view any more than Mitt Romney did, not that there is such a thing as the Mormon view. Even a small amount of time on these DN discussion boards shows that Mormons do not all think alike.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    July 8, 2013 12:34 p.m.

Glenn Beck:
    "Reformed rabbis are generally political in nature. It's almost like Islam, radicalized Islam in a way, to where it is just — radicalized Islam is less about religion than it is about politics. When you look at the Reform Judaism, it is more about politics."
    (2011)

Abraham H. Foxman, Anti-Defamation League Director (Holocaust survivor) stated:

Glenn Beck's description of George Soros' actions during the Holocaust is completely inappropriate, offensive and over the top. For a political commentator or entertainer to have the audacity to say – inaccurately – that there's a Jewish boy sending Jews to death camps, as part of a broader assault on Mr. Soros, that's horrific.

While I, too, may disagree with many of Soros' views and analysis on the issues, to bring in this kind of innuendo about his past is unacceptable.
    (ADL 2010)

Glenn Beck roused the NRA's annual convention with his attacks on NYC Mayor Bloomberg, and aroused criticism by the ADL for depicting the mayor giving what appears to be a a Nazi salute.

The head of the Anti-Defamation League called Becks' comments "deeply offensive on so many levels," and B'nai B'rith called for Beck to apologize.
    (2013)

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    July 8, 2013 12:39 p.m.

"Informed Voter" has been informed with incorrect information.

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    July 8, 2013 12:53 p.m.

To "Truthseeker" so what you are saying is that it was mean and cruel of Glenn Beck to expose the truth about George Soros? Why is it bad to point out that Soros helped the Hungarian Police confiscate things from the Jews during WWII? Soros has admitted that he helped them during a 1998 broadcast on 60 Minutes.

With respect to Bloomberg, what is wrong with depicting him that way? Yes it makes people uncomfortable, but Bloomberg is engaged in the same tacticts that the NAZI party used during their rise to power. Is it wrong to remind people of history, even if it is uncomfortable?

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    July 8, 2013 1:06 p.m.

This guy is skating on very thin ice.

I'm certain the LDS church handbook says something about "prominent members", "damaging" the "goodness" of the LDS Church as being grounds for disciplinary action...

[but the DN monitor refuses to post it.]

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2013 1:18 p.m.

re: UT Brit

**"France had yet to become the “surrender monkeys” and non-deodorant America-haters we now know they are."**

NOT to defend Glenny, but... Groundskeeper Willie (Simpsons) Called the French cheese eating surrender monkeys many many yrs ago

Then, there are Monty Python, Blackadder, & other British comedies which take mocking the French to a whole new level

• Pendergast Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2013 1:20 p.m.

to Open Minded Mormon

Then, why did the church remain silent during when Professor Beck was flapping his gums about Social Justice?

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 8, 2013 1:23 p.m.

UT Brit,
    2 comments about France in all the words he's spoken? He speaks for a profession, he talks about current events many hours each day... France is probably going to come up in a years long discussion of current events and politics. But 2 statements mean he's always talking trash on the French? I don't think so.

And if you think Beck needs to change to a more positive message... why are you not calling for Rachael Maddow, Bill Maher, Michael Moore, etc, to stop saying negative things about anybody???

• No One Of Consequence West Jordan, UT
    July 8, 2013 2:35 p.m.

sat·ire
    [sat-ahyuhr]
    noun
    1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.
    (Source: dictionary dot com)

It's satire, ladies and gentlemen. You know, like what you hear from Saturday Night Live and Bill Mahr.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    July 8, 2013 3:29 p.m.

re:NoOneofConsequence

Uh, not buying it.

Some comments from Beck fans:
    "Tell us wherein the man is mistaken and explain why, using specific facts and sound reasoning."

" He believes that our government is in serious trouble. He uses facts to back up his statements."

"Glenn Beck has been correct since 2009 when he warned of Obama's true agenda and the former terrorists and radicals found throughout his administration."

Guess those people didn't get the memo that Beck is merely joking.

Bill Maher, SNL, Colbert, Jon Stewart etc. are first and foremost stand-up comedians who use satire as a comedic device. People tune into their shows purely for comedy--not to be "educated or informed."

Is that was Beck's "schtick"--merely to provide comedic relief--and if that is what his radio and personal appearances was about, great. (why isn't he appearing in comedy clubs?) Actually, I have laughed when watching Beck's show, but only because he is so ridiculously distorting facts and portraying himself as some kind of prognosticator.

No, Beck is like the emotional abusing spouse who verbally demeans and minimizes then says, "oh, I was just kidding, can't you take a joke?"

• UT Brit London, England
    July 8, 2013 3:38 p.m.

@Redshirt1701

"That is right, none."

Seriously? 16 trillion in debt, 17.6% of US GDP spent on healthcare, compared to 11.6 for France. Do the maths Redshirt. No deficit, HA!

@Craig Clark

Its the image of the church. Do Glenn Becks comments uplift and build up the kingdom in France? You know one of the missions of the church. If you are in the public and declare yourself LDS you need to be careful what you say. He is a famous mormon and he needs to realise the impact his words can have.

@Mister J

I am well aware who Groundskeeper Willie is and who Monty Python are. I am also aware that none of them are famous mormons.

@2 bits

There are many more, feel free to look them up. I was not aware that Rachael Maddow, Bill Maher, Michael Moore declare themselves as LDS.

Those that are endowed, remember your temple covenants, does Glenn Beck words about Europe help build the kingdom in Europe? Are we going to be uplifted by his words? He has covenanted to help build the gospel. I cant believe I am having to discuss this with members of the church.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    July 8, 2013 3:56 p.m.

Redshirt - common'... I know your smart enough to see the problems of judging "poverty" based on the size of ones home. The reports comparison to europeans makes no sense what so ever. Number of square feet in a dwelling has no corollary to "wealth". You take the average house in Lehi, which is 3x or 4x at a minimum bigger then the average house in New York, San Francisco, London, Paris, Tokyo, or Singapore.... and from that say that people living in Lehi are wealthier than the people living in these cities... ? Really? If I were to take their example, a 1,600 sq ft house in Prove would indicate someone is more wealthy that someone living in a 1,200 sq foot apartment in SoHo, or the Central Park region of New York.

Add to that, most homes in Europe are well over 100 years old.... many times many times over that age. US housing stock is much younger, and bigger by that virtue.

Home size is not a reliable indication of wealth or poverty. I know you are smart enough to see through the holes in that Heritage Institute . Lets measure access to education, health care?

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    July 8, 2013 4:15 p.m.

To "Truthseeker" please provide evidence that Glenn Beck has distorted facts. His shows and books are researched very carefully because of people like you who will try to tear apart anything he says.

So, rather than spouting off generalities, give us some specifics about the distortions. Much of what he has said about Obama has been true.

Glenn said that if Obama was ever pressed to answer for his actions like Bush was that you would see a totally different Obama, a mean and nasty one. That as true, when Obama was pressed about Benghazi, he got quite testy and nasty. He has done this several times when the legislation that he wanted was voted down.

There are YouTube videos showing Obama's lies and distortions using Obama's own words with no editing other than to play 2 video clips back to back.

So, if you are capable or can even find one, tell us where Beck has distorted facts.

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    July 8, 2013 4:39 p.m.

To "UT Brit" and how much of that 17.6% healthcare spending was deficit spending by the US government. Again, NONE. Much of the US debt in recent years is due to Social Welfare spending (housing, food, and unemployment)

Those numbers that you present are the total healthcare spening of the entire nation, not just the federal government.

Right now Medicare and Medicaid are spending money that they collect in taxes or money that is part of a trust fund. They are not borrowing money for healthcare.

France is borrowing money for healthcare. How much longer can they do that?

So again, where is the US Government borrowing money to pay for healthcare? France is, I would imagine England is too.

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    July 8, 2013 5:30 p.m.

So the question is do the censors with the on line edition of the Deseret Newes at times desplay their own bias in denying to publish comments about stories?

Tell me what recourse does an individual have if he feels his comments were unjustly denied?

It appears to me that many posters seem to have the same question.

• Joan Watson TWIN FALLS, ID
    July 8, 2013 5:42 p.m.

2 bits Exactly!!! Right on target concerning D.N. comment rejections.

• HaHaHaHa Othello, WA
    July 8, 2013 5:49 p.m.

maddow, mahr, stewart and moore = "standup comedians"??? That's a crock! NOBODY get's more angry and seething mad about politics, then these 4 bitter nutjobs!!

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    July 8, 2013 9:52 p.m.

to HaHaHaHa

I don't know about? Limbaugh, Hannity, G Gordon Liddy, & Lou Dobbs are all nutjobs. I mean do a pretty good w/ cheap meaningless theatrics.

Gotta go. I'm missing WWE Raw.

p.s. Its Maher.

• bamball Mesa, AZ
    July 9, 2013 4:36 a.m.

For some reason, I just read through all these comments, and it's now 3:25am. I feel dirty and I feel like I've wasted so much time. All's I have to say is to all, both on the left and the right: Get a life and go do something positive and active. Rather than straight pontification, if you aren't trying to solve something, then go find something to actively solve. Volunteer. Index. Read a book. Even watching TV with your family would be more productive. Every time I read these forums, I get depressed about the futility of trying to change the attitudes of people who really don't care about changing anything, despite whatever facts or reasoning is thrown their way. Seems like criticism of any form just cements their deeply held beliefs even further, despite right or wrong, left, right or catty wompus.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    July 9, 2013 6:46 a.m.

Is he responsible for the gold crash?

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    July 9, 2013 9:20 a.m.

Background:
    This week, Teresa Heinz Kerry was airlifted to a hospital reportedly following a grand mal seizure. Initially she was listed in "critical" condition and subsequently upgraded to "fair."

Here's what Glenn Beck had to say about Teresa Heinz Kerry's condition:

"You expect me to believe that Mrs. Ketchup is in critical condition? I mean, no offense, maybe she is." Beck then compared Heinz Kerry's medical scare to Clinton's in 2012, wondering of Clinton's treatment, "Was that just a scam?"

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    July 9, 2013 11:59 a.m.

Listening to Glenn, any comments he makes in the negative are always regarding the absolute collapse that is happening across Europe economically ,socially and morally - this isn't opinion it is fact and it is all tied to the embrace of Socialism from France, Greece and other countries. I agree that a person needs to not bash a people or a country just for the sake of not liking the country but that isn't what Beck does. It is like trying to talk truthful about the terrible things happening in China while at the same time realizing that the LDS Church is trying to make in-roads there. It is a fine line you walk but just saying nothing in not the answer.

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    July 9, 2013 12:57 p.m.

Funny how Conservative Latter-day Saints can't see how a Liberal Latter-day Saint can reconcile his politics and his religion. And Liberal Latter-day Saints can't see how a Conservative Latter-day Saint can reconcile his politics with his religion. And yet the scripture indicates that God would rather see one hot or cold, and that those who are luke-warm can expect to be spewed out of His mouth. It might be better to be committed than to sit on the fence.

Glen Beck is committed. He doesn't sit on the fence. He is a passionate educator. If you don't believe his words, state your case rather than attack the man. I think that Glen Beck's passion places him in good standing with a God who wants us committed to our beliefs.

• Eliot Santaquin, UT
    July 9, 2013 1:32 p.m.

Glenn Beck is harming missionary work in France? Sorry, I'm not buying it.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    July 9, 2013 4:14 p.m.

@Linus
    Bountiful, UT

12:57 p.m. July 9, 2013

=======

God does hate illegal immigrants,
    Obama,
    Muslims,
    George Soros,
    Gays,
    Nancy Pelosi,
    or
    Democrats.

I think Glenn Beck is leading many of the very elect astray.

ala, Korihor and Nehor -- IMHO.

• GK Willington Salt Lake City, UT
    July 10, 2013 11:52 a.m.

re: Linus

"Glen Beck is committed"

He isn't but he should be.

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    July 10, 2013 12:11 p.m.

If BO moderates I'm sure Glen will also.

• RedWings CLEARFIELD, UT
    July 11, 2013 2:07 p.m.

@ No One: "Those of you who only know Beck through his detractors' reports may not realize that much of his radio show is presented in satire."

That Beck's show is satire seems to be lost on many of his listeners. I know many fellow LDS members who swallow everything he says as truth. They believe he is prophesying and some are actually preparing for those things to come. Even some in my own extended family give Beck more heed and deference than they do Pres. Monson!

Beck has the right to free speech. However, all rights come with responsibilities. If he is going to present "satire", he needs to make that clear to his fans. I can honestly say that I have never thought that Jon Stewart was presenting anything but satire. That is clear. Not so with Beck, and I fear for those who worship him more than Who they should be worshipping, - God and Christ.....