U.S. & World

Mitt Romney talks IRS, AP records, Benghazi during interview with Jay Leno

Comments

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    May 18, 2013 12:23 a.m.

It's hard to imagine any of these sorts of 'scandals' not arising during a mitt presidency as they have during that of President Obama. After all, the President isn't directing the intricate details of the tens of thousands of everyday federal civil servants. The difference is how we deal with them. If mitt were president he could do no wrong viewed from utah, that's for sure. President Obama, on the other hand, could walk on water and give out jobs and cheap gasoline for all and he'd still be a hated individual here.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2013 1:10 a.m.

What a wonderful man. We would have been lucky to call him President. He's done more good for this country than the current president himself. Although that's not saying much.

You rock Romney

Sincerely,

Catholic Chris B

• Meadow Lark Mark IDAHO FALLS, ID
    May 18, 2013 5:38 a.m.

Go Mitt Romney. Did we want an honorable man in office or not? I hope all the people who voted for who we have now are happy with what we have. Obama is the leader of our country and we are in great turmoil. I can't help but believe that it comes from the top down.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    May 18, 2013 6:42 a.m.

See, Chris B? I keep telling people you are really a good guy, after all!

• C Shields c, CA
    May 18, 2013 6:46 a.m.

Finally - the truth shall prevail.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    May 18, 2013 7:00 a.m.

All articles on Jay Leno interviews. especially with a Utah favorite like Mitt Romney need to have an accompanying video.

• heidi ho Fort Collins, CO
    May 18, 2013 7:18 a.m.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    May 18, 2013 7:34 a.m.

As someone who voted for both Mr. Romney and Mr. McCain, I believe that in the current climate that Mr. Romney is making a big mistake by trying to stay so visible. Mark Shields of Shields and Brooks of The PBS NewsHour stated that Mr. Romney is a symbol of the lack of empathy in the Republican Party. He is viewed by the right as a symbol of hard work and success. However, the media is chewing him up by painting that picture of him. Unfortunately, I believe that he should be like MacArthur who was unjustly sacked by Truman and just "fade away" and allow a new leader of conservatives to emerge.

• peter Alpine, UT
    May 18, 2013 7:46 a.m.

If Romney would have won the presidency, he would have had to don his chest waders to tackle all the corruption in D.C. But, I have no doubt he was up to the job.

• grip Meridian, ID
    May 18, 2013 8:01 a.m.

Mitt Romney is a very capable and caring person. Have you missed him yet?

• 3boyzmom chattanooga, tn
    May 18, 2013 8:17 a.m.

In truth, America is the dealing with the "law of the harvest." America is reaping what she has sown.

• 3boyzmom chattanooga, tn
    May 18, 2013 8:22 a.m.

America is having to deal with the "law of the harvest."

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    May 18, 2013 8:42 a.m.

This is a very good article about the interview, thanks for writing it! It puts these scandals in proper perspective in my view and the operative word used is "TRUST". My dictionary defines trust as: reliance on the integrity, strength, ability, surety, etc., of a person or thing; confidence. For many Americans our trust in our government has been shaken if not destroyed. If trust means anything to anyone, we need honest answers about these abuses of power and unaccountability from our government beginning at the White House no matter which political party is in charge! Trust is a non-partisan principle.

• Happy Liberal Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2013 8:46 a.m.

Wow, this is rich. A guy who hides millions in tax shelters in the Cayman Islands going after Obama about the IRS. Thanks for a good laugh this morning!

• justamacguy Manti, UT
    May 18, 2013 8:49 a.m.

@ Hutterite. Yes, all of these scandals would have arisen if Romney had been elected. And, since they are all committed by Obama during Obama's tenure, they would be throughly investigated without the roadblocks and interference the current administration is throwing in the way.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    May 18, 2013 8:54 a.m.

Mitt gave a good interview with Leno, but he would have struggled as President. The country's partisan politicians would have ripped on him as badly as the right-wingers attack President Obama. Romney surrounded himself with a dysfunctional party in his attempt to get elected. That same dysfunctional crew would have followed him into the oval office and caused him greater problems than the democrats. Recall how Nancy Pelosi and other radical Democrats have often harmed President Obama! Extreme positions and militant partisanship destroys the political process and harms the country.

No person we elect to the oval office is perfect. They can't fix their parties or the country. But we can by turning off the extreme rhetoric and gravitating towards more rational and centrist thinking. We are Americans, and one of our gifts is the ability and vision to compromise.

• Meadow Lark Mark IDAHO FALLS, ID
    May 18, 2013 9:00 a.m.

My son who lives in Ohio reports to me that some areas around Cleveland, Ohio had more than 100% voter turnout of those who voted, and those area were significantly for Obama. How can you have an area that has more than 100% voting? If you have everyone in a voting district voting then you have 100% voting, not more than. Come on we need to clean up our whole country!! We need to go back to a moral country that believes in God and where we are honest with each other. I kind of agree with a earlier post, that we are getting what we deserve (the law of the harvest) especially thinking that government is to take care of every aspect of our lives. When are we (collectively as a country) going to stand up and just take care of ourselves and not depend on government to do everything for us!!!!????? We'd be much better off with a lot of less government in our lives. One reason is that too many in our country don't believe in the wonderful principle of work anymore.

• sergio Phoenix, AZ
    May 18, 2013 9:01 a.m.

Which ever political party, or what ever candidate is elected to the Whie House will not make significant changes in government until congress itself is cleaned up of the dirty self serving polititions and replace them with patriotic statesman serving under the same laws as the nation at large.

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2013 9:08 a.m.

The contrast between Romney and Obama is stunning. Romney is a rational man of intelligence, grace and integrity. Thanks for your service to our country. Romney did not lose the election, America did.

Hutterite's comment epitomizes the far left; abandonment of civility by not capitalizing Romney's name, slavish worship of Mr. Obama by capitalizing the word presidency and most of all, failing to engage in intelligent political dialog. Margaret Thatcher's observation rings true that when there is no fact-based counterargument, personal attacks are the only recourse .

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2013 9:08 a.m.

Mitt Romney > Barack Obama.

And it's not even close...

• Hey It's Me Salt Lake City, UT
    May 18, 2013 9:17 a.m.

I didn't see the interview but from what I read in the article, Mitt didn't blast President Obama. . . he addressed the issues at hand. What a classy guy. The only thing I don't like is when someone says I like any Republican. I voted for Obama his first time and when he failed to what he promised I voted for Mitt. I vote for who I feel will represent me the best. I felt that Mitt is more honest than most politicians and he stayed on task to answer Jay's questions when he could have taken advantage and nailed the Obama administration, but didn't.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    May 18, 2013 9:22 a.m.

Would these scandals (IRS and AP) have still happened with Romney as President? Possibly. Then again, the IRS scandal has been going on for a while. However, here is the point:

If Romney were president, and if these scandals had happened, Romney would have done the right thing.

I have to say it as it is; Obama does not have a track record for doing the right thing.

• Brown Honeyvale, CA
    May 18, 2013 9:26 a.m.

Wow Hutterite, what a judgemental comment! I would love to see Pres Obama succeed in bringing honor and success to our country. What matters is what a "leader" does when those scandals occur. Obama's response has show a lack of leadership and been extremely hypocritical. How could he "not know" so much about what is going on in this country and in his administration. As a leader his is out of touch and uninformed, which is formula for disaster and abuse. His job is to make sure he knows about what is going on. My "UTAH" view is based on how he leads this country…so far I have seen very few successful leadership decisions.

• Cleetorn Fuaamotu, Tonga
    May 18, 2013 9:31 a.m.

Hutterite says “President Obama, on the other hand, could walk on water and give out jobs and cheap gasoline for all and he'd still be a hated individual here.”

I would seriously have to disagree with that assessment. If he – or any other leader who failed to carry the majority of Utah votes – was actually doing something to improve the US economy, he would quickly sway opinion and favor in his direction.

However, by continuing to spend us into oblivion, apologizing to everyone else for being Americans and demonstrating that he and his minions are above accountability, he will continue to draw negative attention from far more than just Utah. It’s not who he is that is hated but what he does. Just as the old adage says, his actions speak louder than his words.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    May 18, 2013 9:41 a.m.

@USAlover 9:08 a.m. May 18, 2013

Mitt Romney > Barack Obama.

And it's not even close...

------------

You got that backward. It should read "Mitt Romney < Barack Obama.

And it's not even close...

Bad as Obama is, and there is little he does that I like, Romney would have been infinitely worse. We dodged a disaster when the voters of the United States sent Romney packing. Thank God they did.

• SammyB Provo, UT
    May 18, 2013 9:50 a.m.

I was a very active blogger for Romney and I was targeted by the IRS this week. I called them yesterday and while switching from one rep to a different one for specific info, somehow my 2009 tax return disappeared from their computer. First guy said it was there, no problems...second person said they never received it. That was the very least of the issues. A 2004 return disappeared and they claimed they never got it and demanded $6,670. I said it was too late but they said they filed for us in 2008. When I mentioned the strange timing in light of the scandal and that I was an active campaigner for Romney, I was told I didn't need to worry about the 2004 return but they still are causing problems for later returns that there were no problems with until now.

• rick122948 boise, id
    May 18, 2013 10:18 a.m.

It amazes me that people's comments are so myopic. Romney wasn't elected, and if he had he would have had to face the real problems of our country. Just as most of these comments, it is easy and safe for him to take pot shots from the cheap seats. The biggest factors that led to Romney's defeat was a fractured and dysfunctional Republican party and the fact that most Americans saw Romney inability to truly understand the struggle that most of the 99% have to go through. The Republican party is still dysfunctional and has obstructionism as its sole function. Sad but true, and the extreme left of the Democratic party has no better standing. Until the American people realize that we have been relegated to the non-1% group, and retake control of the country on rational and moral footing the country will continue the slide we are on.

• Onion Daze Payson, UT
    May 18, 2013 10:25 a.m.

" Romney is a rational man of intelligence, grace and integrity."

Not all of the time was he a "...rational man of intelligence, grace and integrity." His famous "47 percent" night in Florida may have cost him the Presidency?

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    May 18, 2013 10:28 a.m.

I actively campaigned for and voted for Obama. I got audited mercilessly this year. I'm sure Mitt Romney was personally behind it . . .

• ronnie sandy, utah
    May 18, 2013 10:37 a.m.

I am not a rich man but my federal tax rate compared to my gross earnings is higher than Mitts. Mitt was good with that and would have continued tax breaks for the wealthy. I do not care how you debate the issue. The current practice of loopholes for the rich is wrong, wrong, wrong.

• docport1 ,
    May 18, 2013 11:17 a.m.

While Romney tried to be careful with his comments they still showed either vindictiveness or more likely what I suspect his genuine ignorance of world affairs, domestic affairs, and seemed no more learned than the man on the street that a newsperson always manages to pick out for a response to some story.

• JLFuller Boise, ID
    May 18, 2013 11:43 a.m.

I love the Democrat and other low information voter remarks about Romney's wealth. He got it by following the rules set by Congress - DEMOCRAT congresses. If you believe the low informaiton voters you would think it was ill-gotten. Good man Mitt Romney. I wish we had more like him who were ready to make the genuine sacrifices to achive high office. Instead, we get community organizers pretending to be well-schooled, able leaders. Obama makes me wish we had Bill Clinton back.

• TeaPublican Houston, TX
    May 18, 2013 11:50 a.m.

With that guy obama using the IRS to go after our Tea Party, and with obama and that woman hillary covering up for Benghazi, we are in the midst of the worst Washington scandals since Watergate. Yes, I know that we don’t yet have any evidence to support these allegations, but who cares. We TeaPublicans are going to throw everything against the wall and see what sticks! Yes, I know that our Republican leaders lied about the Benghazi emails, but we didn’t think the public would ever actually see them. It’s just a small mistake on our part. And now there is another scandal brewing: Fox “and Friend” Steve Doocy theorizes that the IRS is going to use ObamaCare to deny hip replacements to known conservatives! OMG! I never thought obama and his IRS would step that low. Thank God we TeaPublicans ARE taking back America in 2014 and 2016. And we ARE going to take back that evil IRS Empire too!

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    May 18, 2013 11:50 a.m.

Tax breaks for the wealthy...yawn.

You can't give tax breaks to those who don't pay taxes. And the truth is, a large percentage of this country pays 0% income tax. So, yeah, whenever there is a "tax break," it will go to wealthier individuals because they are the ones who actually pay taxes! Perish the thought!

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    May 18, 2013 12:01 p.m.

Why did many people who contributed to Mitt Romney's election get harassed by the IRS? Don't say that didn't happen because the former head of the IRS admitted it and apologized for it, that's why he was fired/resigned. Imaging the hyperventilation and the outrage on the left if the IRS harassed Obama's campaign donors! Hypocrisy at its finest!

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    May 18, 2013 12:47 p.m.

That's all true but aren't those cursed who trust in "the integrity, strength, ability, surety etc" of man. Far better trust in the Constitution of the United States, something not mentioned much by Mr Romney or any but one of the other candidates.

When asked a question referencing the Constitution of the United States Mitt humble referred the question to Mr Paul. Telling!

• SammyB Provo, UT
    May 18, 2013 1:00 p.m.

Thornbirds,

Regarding me cooling my conspiracies, I will let you in on a little secret. Obama is also a believer in this conspiracy. He went public with the IRS targeting conservatives. Perhaps you should become informed by reading any number of articles exposing the IRS for coming after Romney bloggers like me.

I have to admit it was a surprise to find myself on their hit list but no one with a brain could doubt the obviousness of the IRS charges against me and I gave only a small part of the convoluted mess they have suddenly made of my taxes. One extra example, not the worst but the silliest; we received a thank you form a week ago for paying our 2012 taxes. Now their computers say we never paid those taxes last month.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    May 18, 2013 1:57 p.m.

Mitt Romney is no Barack Obama. We made the biggest mistake in American history. Some media brain washed folks just don't get it, but soon the IRS will be Americas version of the KGB as our health care, defense, and education will be federally controlled. That's a big chunk of money to an administration that doesn't know what's going on. Or do they?

Medically, they'll make life making decisions through the IRS.

• Gracie Boise, ID
    May 18, 2013 2:24 p.m.

To 3boyzmom: Amen.

• SLMG Murtoa Australia, Victoria
    May 18, 2013 2:40 p.m.

What is going on in Washington is nothing more than pure politics and a gottcha game. Every President has scandals on there watch, instead of working together in a bypartsian way to investigate, the party that is not in power always turns to the media to hype up the problems.
    If our congress was more interested in governing for the people than making political points this country would be much better off. These so called scandals happen to both the Democrate and Republican administrations. It is time that the congress got back to the peoples business and worked less on party politics and quit running there mouths off to the media to score political points. Mitt Romney would have had his own scandals had he been elected, no president is exempt. Our position as citizens should be to support our sitting president regardless of who we voted for, we should be trying to build our country up not tear it down remember the world is watching us.

• Shazandra Bakersfield, CA
    May 18, 2013 3:29 p.m.

Yup, America got what it wanted... Well, 49% of if did. Now our kids will be happily paying for ther slacker friends, too. Enjoy all your vacations to the Dust Bowl. Glad we took them to Greece and Italy last year; they won't be able to do it on their own after we're gone!

I am an avid former/ and anti-Mormon from a Biblical perspective. But as a Conservative Independent I will vote and campaign hard for any solid Republican LDS every time. I did not appreciate Mitt 100% of the time, but he out-shined almost every candidate at the RNC debates, and blew away BHO in the "class, honesty and intelligence" division. I just don't think Ryan connected with the younger demographic. Rubio, Chaffetz or others may have. But despite the many reasons for the Repubs choking, I hope we learned our lessons.

If Mitt reinvented himself, flip-flopped and did a Total Makeover, if would not make a diff. Young liberal America wants a country that will pay their way and legitimize their lusts. I hope God gives them their wishes- right after I exit the planet.

I

• Wally West SLC, UT
    May 18, 2013 3:32 p.m.

to peter & 3boyzmom

Most of the corruption was caused by Ivy league educated people on Wall St and y'all want to send one of that ilk to clean up the mess?

Curious; Was the comedy & irony intentional or not?

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    May 18, 2013 3:35 p.m.

@ Mountanman 5/18 12:01 p.m.

"Why did many people who contributed to Mitt Romney's election get harassed by the IRS?"

Because, like most of Mitt's $, it eventually makes it way "offshore?"

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    May 18, 2013 4:24 p.m.

Hank Pym. Most of your money and mine goes offshore. Does the phrase "Made in China" sound familiar?

• SLMG Murtoa Australia, Victoria
    May 18, 2013 4:41 p.m.

Mountanman

Hayden, ID

I don't know where you get the idea that only conservatives are being "harassed" by the IRS, because I know plenty of liberals and independents that have or are being audited. Any time you are audited by the IRS you will feel harassed.
    It is time for the teaparty members and conservatives to stop hyperventilating over being audited by the IRS, you are not exclusive, it happens to all of us.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    May 18, 2013 4:52 p.m.

@worf 1:57 p.m. May 18, 2013

Medically, they'll make life making decisions through the IRS.

-----------------------

That sure sounds like the type of comment one could expect to hear from low-information voters. WOW! That's not what this country needs.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    May 18, 2013 5:43 p.m.

to Mountanman

I mean Bermuda & The Caymans and you know that.

Plus, I don't shop @ Walmart. So, the joke is on you.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    May 18, 2013 5:48 p.m.

SLMG. Since you are from "down under" you are understandably behind on your news happenings here in the states. President Obama fired the director of the IRS for admitting the IRS harassed conservative organizations and some people who donated money to Mitt Romney for his campaign. Its all over the news here. President Obama said this action by the political targeting of IRS is unacceptable and promised to investigate and hold those responsible accountable. But I believe like all his other promises to investigate other debacles, his "investigations" have gone nowhere.

• SammyB Provo, UT
    May 18, 2013 6:02 p.m.

SLMG,

There is a difference between being audited and having the IRS change their records and come after you with lies. I'm sure I'm not the only one that is being done to. The last time I talked to the IRS on the phone before this crazy week was 3 years ago. They told me everything was up to date and good, nothing pending. Now for the first time, I'm being told I owe thousands for 2004 and also the returns I was talking to them about 3 years ago have disappeared, not to mention the one we just sent in. Good thing we have the records for those and also good thing they decided to drop the 2004 bogus demand when I mentioned that I was a Romney blogger. To pretend that a liberal being audited is the same as a dishonest attack on a perceived enemy is willful blindness.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    May 18, 2013 6:05 p.m.

SLMG - get real. Nobody said Tea Party members and conservatives were exclusively audited. Of course people of all stripes get audited and harassed. I guess you're ok if 75% of the audits occurred with conservative groups, since the other 25% somehow prove an objective pursuit. It has already been reported that the average conservative group seeking non-profit status took 27 months to get approved, and the average liberal group took only 9 months.

I realize that to most liberals, that's a fair and balanced approach by the IRS.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    May 18, 2013 6:59 p.m.

As we go further into the deep, dark, murky, swampy, Chicago-style politics, Mitt Romney is looking better and better. What a shame. We (America) chose...poorly.

• mytymouse09 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    May 18, 2013 7:44 p.m.

This is a great article! What a week of surprises for Obama, and us, -- the media is actually reporting some suspicious happenings that occurred during the last campaign. He thought he was invincible and anything he did (no matter whether legal or not) wouldn't matter. It just reinforces my fear for this country.

Hutterite: Obama already thinks he can walk on water, and the reason we conservatives wouldn't be thrilled if he "gave away" jobs and made gas cheaper is because it would be at the expense of those of us who work for what we get. Just like his infamous "Affordable Care Act" which we are finding out isn't so affordable to those of us who shoulder our own insurance coverage.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    May 18, 2013 8:18 p.m.

It's simple. It's getting more rare, to have people in this world with the ability to read people, and see people and situations for what they are. Conservatives usually get an A+ in this category.

• grip Meridian, ID
    May 18, 2013 9:36 p.m.

People tend to be down on what they are not up on. Mitt Romney was and is up on America. Where is barak? and michell? Where else could they get a Billion dollar vacation?.

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    May 18, 2013 9:39 p.m.

Obama has a very checkered political life. His modus operandi is destroy his opponent before the vote. He did this by unsealing the divorce records of his oppointment named Ryan and then facing only token opposition with Alan Keyes in his senate race. He did the same thing to Mitt Romney, targeting him in swing states with $500 million of attack ads mostly dishonest and allowing supporting groups to aggessively attack him as a corporate raider. Obama has allowied targeting of major campaign contributors like Frank Vandersloot for harrassment plus 7 others. Why wouldn't we believe that all the scandals started and will end with Obama? He has displayed the Chicago way his whole career.It's like playing a softball game where the refs make calls that are clearly wrong like safe at first when there out or calling a crucial strike a ball.Why should we now trust the IRS, Homeland Security,the State Department or other government agencies?

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    May 18, 2013 9:49 p.m.

The person who illegally taped the 47% comments was a real scoundrel in my opinion. He was a person who had sued various people and was obviously a liberal. The media went out of its way to help Obama. It was unreal that they refused to pursue Bengahzi when four Americans were killed but it would have hurt Obama's re election especially his narrative. It worth closely looking at this election because things have gotten much worse with Obama's election and we need to understand why.

• Mark B Eureka, CA
    May 18, 2013 10:43 p.m.

Nothing against Mitt as a person, but could we please remember some of the things he said? Nine years after our invasion of Iraq, Mitt said he still thought it was a good idea. That tells me that he either valued the GOP nomination over everything else, including the truth, or had not read a book in nine years or so. He had nothing to say about torture by OUR people, nor did he revisit his big idea to "double the size of GITMO". Signing statements? Warrantless wiretaps? Wall Street firms too big to fail? His campaign silence was deafening on anything other than tax cuts for you know who. The voters chose correctly, and the howling taking place now will soon be permanently forgotten.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    May 18, 2013 11:02 p.m.

Man oh man it seems that Mitt has gained a lot of integrity since he LOST the election. Was he unable to lead his own party yet now in the pages of DN he can lead the country better then the real president?

The country had never heard of the Pinocchio laws until Mitt came on the scene with his gray areas and stories that were mostly fabricated. He could not produce his tax returns because they percentage was less than a non multi-millionaire pays. He would say whatever he thought would fly, with no regard for the truth. When caught he would simply move to the next town, smile and shake hands.

He proved unable to communicate with the working American, could not author any of his own ideas and his platform of 75 pages was filled with how he would undermine what Obama had already done adding his own name to many politicians who come without real ideas just want to get the job.

Which would you rather have a Benghazi incident or 911?

I love what Mitt stands for...I think but it still changes on a daily basis.

• Robert Johnson Sunland, CA
    May 19, 2013 7:21 a.m.

If Mitt Romney had stayed true to his convictions he might have won. However he sold his integrity to the wacko right-wing fringe of the Republican party in order to get the nomination. Despite his etch-a-sketch attempts to move back to the middle, Americans saw him for what he became, a man with no core values who would say and do anything to get a vote. He made John Kerry look like a pillar of stability.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    May 19, 2013 8:17 a.m.

@Doug10 - you're so wrong on so many counts. I suspect you're MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell in disguise. I think Mitt will go down as the most uniquely qualified person to lose to the least qualified candidate in history. And it's true we're becoming a nation that values free stuff more than a qualified president.

What's a Pinocchio law? Obama is far better at lying than Mitt, and has enjoyed a willing and supportive press corps to get away with it. "I don't know" is now the official administrative slogan, and plausible deniability is the cornerstone of his presidency.

Where are Obama's school records? He can't release them, because they confirm just how incompetent and unqualified he really is. We already know Mitt made a lot of money, and transferred a lot of it offshore. The only reason you want his tax returns is to nit-pick at them to hound him more? Also, Mitt's ideas were actually viable concepts to run a nation and fix the economy. The proof of Obama's incompetent ideas is in their utter failure. "Obamacare is a train wreck" is not a Republican comment.

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    May 19, 2013 5:26 p.m.

A quote from the piece...

"There's been a breach of trust," Romney said.

Which is exactly why more than 60,000,000 American Voters voted against Romney.

TeaPublican commented...

Re: IRS, Benghazi, AP records, Umbrellas etc., etc., etc..

"...Yes, I know that we don’t yet have any evidence to support these allegations, but who cares...

I rest my case.

• LetsDebate PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    May 19, 2013 8:14 p.m.

Well, "What Now?" has weighed the evidence, or lack thereof, and has rested his case. Thank goodness there are more competent legal minds on the case, who recognize an abundance of actual facts and evidence. And, finally the media is curious about these matters.

But, surely we should only allow Obama himself and his mindless followers to consider the evidence. See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil against the great Obama.

Case closed.

• SCfan clearfield, UT
    May 19, 2013 8:46 p.m.

Mitt Romney was just too good for the America of today. We as a nation have fallen morally, economically, spiritually, at such a fast pace, that I think the bad times are coming long before someone like a Mitt Romney will be called too bail us out. Hopefully the once great USA will get a second chance. God willing.

• Bored to the point of THIS! Ogden, UT
    May 20, 2013 11:46 a.m.

To all the "Mitt lovers" out there... You got off easy when Mitt lost the election. You can go on believing him to be perfect. Count your blessings!

Had he taken office, his 'reputation' would have gone south in a hurry. Not just because of Mitt, but becuase that's what happens to all our leaders these days. Either by their own hand or those around them or the opposition... things 'go bad' once in office! When people look for faults they find them! Sad, but true. Just look at how many of us (you) treat our current President, and our most recent one (President Bush). It's a thankless job!

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    May 20, 2013 2:27 p.m.

@heidi ho, Fort Collins, CO - I dearly wish Mitt had won, but there seemed to be ill winds brewing over this election. When Mitt came to Colorado the Saturday before the election, the crowd was HUGE! The atmosphere was electric. I still think it was weird that in some precincts in Ohio, there was no votes for Romney. That is just too strange. Come on, there had to be at least one person(s) that voted in that precinct. We are stuck with now, Benghazi, IRS scandal, Obamacare, AP records scandal, ad nauseum. We campaigned very hard for Mitt here in Colorado, even printing up our own Romney signs and distributing them here in Colorado because the Mitt signs were running out. Rand Paul 2016!"

I truly believe the election was stolen via fraud. Precincts in Ohio had NO votes for Romney. The same thing happened in Pennsylania. (NO votes? C'mon....) Machines were rigged. Results were tampererd with. People were bribed (by Obama's endless promises of cradle-to-grave help from the government.)

Obama lied about Benghazi: he did NOT call it a "terror" attack. The liberal, 'mainstream' media is complicit.

Oh, America, America, how the mighty have fallen.

• Interloper Portland, OR
    May 23, 2013 5:18 p.m.

It is understandable that people in Utah, particularly those over 50, as most Republicans are, would prefer Mitt Romney, a fellow Mormon, or just about any white candidate, to Barack Obama. But, times have changed. The average voter is in her 30s. Black voters had the highest level of turnout in 2012. Single and divorced women voted overwhelmingly for the Democratic ticket. The support for Romney there mirrors the distance between Utah and the diverse, largely metropolitan areas of the nation that supported President Obama.

There is, as other commenters noted, irony in Mitt Romney criticizing the IRS while continuing to hide his tax records.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    May 23, 2013 8:13 p.m.

Yea Romney "hid" his tax records...legally. And BHO "sealed" his college transcripts...legally. Which is a worse offense? All these people crying about money going off shore while wearing Nikes and using iPhones. Come on people, your money is going off shore too.