Opinion

In our opinion: Helping the homeless

Comments

• bluecollar Kearns, UT
    May 8, 2013 8:57 a.m.

Matthew, Ch. 25:
    40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    May 8, 2013 11:49 a.m.

My wife and I give to the homeless as often as we can. I know much of the money is probably wasted on booze or drugs but homeless is homeless and people ought to have hope. It is really hard to have any hope if you are hungry or cold or sick. Every city ought to invest in shelters and donate food and clothing and medicine. It is hard to reconcile any sort of Christian belief without serving those who have nothing.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    May 8, 2013 12:46 p.m.

My parents and my Church always taught me it wasn't my place or my job to decide who needs help and who doesn't. My job is to respond when I see a need. It makes the decision whether to help or not REALLY easy. I like easy.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 8, 2013 12:58 p.m.

Helping in its many meanings, curing or subsidizing?

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    May 8, 2013 3:56 p.m.

We could hire them to be custodians and security guards at the mall.

• George New York, NY
    May 8, 2013 4:04 p.m.

@4601
    well considering most homeless people are not sick and you are probably not a doctor I am not sure you would be "cruing" anything, however, giving to help assit those that need it the most may help end their homelessness, but feel free to tell yourself what ever helps you sleep at night.

• George New York, NY
    May 8, 2013 6:18 p.m.

curing sorry

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    May 8, 2013 8:17 p.m.

Funny staged photo...

A clean knit cap and a clean but tattered coat on a young woman with make up, nice hair, and designer jeans doesn't exactly portray the plight of the homeless.

• Sorry Charlie! SLC, UT
    May 8, 2013 9:55 p.m.

@howard
    thats what you get from this article? must be nice in your world.

• brobrigham Bountiful, UT
    May 8, 2013 10:23 p.m.

I noticed the same thing as Howard. The article was good. Too bad it couldn't be accompanied by a real picture of a homeless person. How does seeing only "beautiful" people in magazines, on television, in the movies, and even in the Deseret News warp our sense of reality? The Deseret News needs to step it up and begin depicting real people.