Opinion

In our opinion: No winners when violence and sports collide

Comments

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    May 7, 2013 10:48 a.m.

Well said postscript to this tragic and avoidable event. The community benefits from selfless volunteers such as Mr. Portillo. They should be honored and protected.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    May 7, 2013 4:24 p.m.

Aggressiveness is an element of competitive sports. It's a contagion that is transmitted from players on the field to spectators in the bleachers where I've witnessed shouting matches break out over something as petty as the call by an on the field. Fist fights break out among fans leaving the stadium in a foul mood because the home team got walloped. It's amazing to see the extent to which both players and fans invest themselves emotionally in a stupid game.

Now, a man is dead, a family has lost a husband and father.

Does sports truly build character as we are often told?

Not when self-control is left behind in the locker room.

• 4word thinker Murray, UT
    May 7, 2013 9:33 p.m.

I am a ref of a sport currently in season. In yesterday's game every critical word hit hard after Mr. Portillo's death. I have only been physically threatened once, but that is once too many. Especially when you consider I am a woman and the threatening person was male (not a man because men don't hit or threaten to hit women).

Refs are people, fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, sons and daughters, grandmothers and grandfathers. Wearing 'stripes' shouldn't make anyone forget that fact.

• AS Amber Stansbury Park, UT
    May 7, 2013 10:16 p.m.

My heart is breaking for the family of the man who died in this tragedy. And for the family of the boy who threw the punch. My father is the referee who was mentioned in this article: Jerry Powers. Refereeing was one of his most favorite things to do. He lived for football season. I have a huge level of respect for referees because of my father. He died three and a half years ago of a heart attack, so I'd like to thank Deseret News for remembering him. And to extend my deepest condolences to Mr. Portillo's family. I hope they can find some peace and comfort during this time.

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    May 11, 2013 12:55 p.m.

I think this sad incident was an indirect result of our society that glorifies violence, rude and crude cultural expression and lack of vision or purpose for our society. I hope this will not be repeated but history says we will probably witness similar angry expressions by players and fans. How sad.

• srw Riverton, UT
    May 12, 2013 10:12 p.m.

"No winners when violence and sports collide"

"I think this sad incident was an indirect result of our society that glorifies violence,..."

Yet some people love sports that are all about violence. And they will assure us that those sports produce no ill effects.