Doug Robinson: The unraveling of a rare talent

Comments

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    April 14, 2013 9:00 p.m.

I met Tim's first son in a video rental store in El Cajon, a surburb of San Diego in the 80s. Wow, what a story! Sad to say the enumeration for hyper talented American runners was laughable in the 60s and 70s all in the name of Amateurism. I don't think it has improved much even 45 years later. I recall the late great Steve Prefontaine living in a double wide trailer after his run in the '72 Olympics. Truth be told getting a degree in Engineering was a very smart move on Tim's part. I myself don't regret pursuing an Engineering career either. That career has been paying my bills for 35 years. Wish the D-News staff had provided better detail as to why Tim is in prison?

• bandersen Saint George, UT
    April 15, 2013 8:24 a.m.

Thanks, Doug. When it is all said and done, sports separated from life is dangerous! If that doesn't make sense, another sad tale could be in the making.

• ARFF guy Riverton, WY
    April 15, 2013 1:07 p.m.

Wow! I am a graduate of both Chula Vista High and BYU. This story was especally interesting and so sad.

• Cleetorn Fuaamotu, Tonga
    April 16, 2013 9:13 a.m.

To BYU Track Star:
    "Wish the D-News staff had provided better detail as to why Tim is in prison?"

Killing somebody usually does the trick quite nicely.

• NT SomewhereIn, UT
    April 16, 2013 10:16 a.m.

Sad. Every choice we make leads us either in a positive or a negative direction.

• Sasha Pachev Provo, UT
    April 16, 2013 12:44 p.m.

Unfortunately this story is rather common. A young man that works hard and keeps winning often cannot deal with the trial of finding out there are people out there that can beat him, or that at some point in his career he is not as fast as he used to be - for a time perhaps or permanently. I consider it an advantage for a kid to work hard but not shine so brightly when he is a youngster - makes him more resilient. I told my son before a race once - you have an edge on your competition - you know how to lose because you've done it before. He won that time.

We can do our part, however, to help a gifted young athlete deal with this problem by teaching him the true meaning of success. As Haile Gebrselassie wisely noted - "you do the work, and God helps you, but if you do the work and God does not help you, your work means nothing".