Underneath the logo: Utes, Under Armour to redesign hoops unis for 2013-14 season

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 28, 2013 10:52 a.m.

becoming a national brand, I like the sound of that.

Go Utes!

• Hawkeye79 Iowa City, IA
    March 28, 2013 11:11 a.m.

After what Under Armour did to Maryland's uniforms, I'm not sure I would want them designing a uniform for my team. A quick google search will show you how reviled they were.

"Unique" approaches can generate buzz, but they are not always a good thing. Just ask Drake University who tried to generate buzz by changing their logo to a giant "D+" in order to show that you can get more at Drake.

• MESOUTE Albany, NY
    March 28, 2013 11:44 a.m.

A mountain theme? The Jazz did that and it was the worst set of uniforms I have ever seen. I am in the minority I am sure but I cannot stand our uniforms with Under Armour; in either of the main two sports. The topography on the uniforms is bad enough. Now we are going to have a mountain theme? Jeez Louise. Keep it simple. Crimson and white.

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    March 28, 2013 11:47 a.m.

This is nothing against nike or adidas, but I like ua, its a fun brand and it is unique.

• couglifer South Jordan, UT
    March 28, 2013 12:37 p.m.

I only have to say unique is not always good and I have one example and that is explained with one word "bibs" unique and out of the ordenary is not always good keep it simple

• Stgeorgebyu St. Georg, UT
    March 28, 2013 12:50 p.m.

I like UA, but as others have said, mountain theme? Yuck! Was not good on the Jazz, not going to be good on the Utes. Stick with the white, black and red. It always looks great.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 28, 2013 12:49 p.m.

"Special events, such as the camouflage uniforms the football team wore in 2010, become a story for the newsmedia and put the school in the spotlight."

Except that those uniforms were the worst duds we'd ever worn. They were just as awful as the unique uniform that embarrassed the Univ. of Maryland not too long ago.

I don't want to see a mountain theme on our uniforms. We're the Utes; not the Mountaineers. Leave the logo alone.

Other than that, I love Under Armor, and wear their moisture-wicking t-shirts under my dress shirts during the hot and humid Philadelphia summers on the subway.

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    March 28, 2013 12:52 p.m.

@ Mesoute

I totally agree. They better not put some nasty mountains all over the jerseys. That would be terrible!

• Dutchman Murray, UT
    March 28, 2013 1:02 p.m.

According to the article the new uni's are coming in the winter of 2013. Isn't the winter of 2013 now over? So where are the new uni's? Will we seem them on April 20th at the spring football game?

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    March 28, 2013 1:07 p.m.

Keep it simple. This year's uniforms were fine.

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    March 28, 2013 2:50 p.m.

Or a mountain climber with a bunch of cliffs that lead to no where since the mountain they have to climb in the pac 10.2 will lead them to just a place to fall off a cliff.

• bluered Salt Lake City, UT
    March 28, 2013 2:54 p.m.

I love the current look of the football team. The only thing they need to do is figure out how to make the color of the helmets match the color of the jersey (or vice versa). They have had a different shade of red forever. Please keep the Drum and Feather as well. Our colors are not cherry red and white. They are Crimson and White.

• BigSkies Issaquah, WA
    March 28, 2013 2:59 p.m.

"Chris B
    Salt Lake City, UT

becoming a national brand, I like the sound of that. Go Utes!"

Good luck with that endeavor Chris. Maybe someday the Utes can be a national brand. For the foreseeable future they will have to be content with being a PAC 12 cellar dweller that nobody outside of Utah knows anything about.

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    March 28, 2013 3:05 p.m.

I was not trying to say that unique is always better, just that Under Armour is a unique company, and that it seems everyone is sponsored by Nike these days and it is nice to be a little unique in that respect. Again nothing against Nike, my golf clubs and running shoes are Nike.

I am definitely not excited about this whole mountain idea, the jazz uni's were horrible. The uniforms I like are actually the red Ute practice jerseys. Solid red, big white numbers with no outline or trim, but maybe high school kids think that is dumb.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    March 28, 2013 3:11 p.m.

Don't worry about redesigning uniforms---the team would be my focus--not how they look!

• LindonMan Lindon, UT
    March 28, 2013 3:47 p.m.

Changing uniforms will definitely help them to play better come next season.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    March 28, 2013 8:42 p.m.

This is gonna get ugly.

• hedgelog Idaho Falls, ID
    March 29, 2013 9:42 a.m.

I hear next years units will come complete with a big red nose and oversized shoes. Then the whole team can come to the floor in a miniature antique car.

• Naval Vet Philadelphia, PA
    March 29, 2013 12:26 p.m.

Eddie:

"How about a mountain on top of a u player. That would define how u did in the Mountain West Conference. Getting squashed all the time?"

Name ONE team who had ever been a member of the MWC that had won that league's Football conference championship more than the Utes?

You got nothing there, do you?

I thought not.

How embarrassingly frantic and emotional of you.

• Just Wondering... Gilbert, AZ
    March 29, 2013 2:44 p.m.

"Provide 20 “best-available” tickets to all home football games, 10 tickets to each basketball home game, 10 tickets to any post-season games, 10 tickets to all away games and four tickets to all other sport home games."

Given the Utes performance, attendance and draw...these should be pretty easy to come by.

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    March 29, 2013 3:05 p.m.

@ Just Wondering
    Your not the first or the last Y fan to not have your facts straight. The Utes sold out all their homes games in football and in basketball ranked #4 in Pac 12 attendance.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    April 1, 2013 9:27 a.m.

christina based on the "estimated" numbers in this article and the BYU article it would appear that you are wrong, as usual, about the value of each teams contract, no surprise there. One school is contracted with Nike, the indesputable big dog in the sports apparel world, and one is contracted with a nice little start up. One school has a top 25 overall athletic program with multiple teams in multiple sports being highly ranked every single season while one school is a bottom feeder that is completely unranked in pretty much every sport and can't even post winning records in any of them.

But hey, you seem to live in your own little fantasy land so I'm sure you're heppy with things.

LOL!