U.S. & World

Pope Francis' humility: stops by hotel to get bags

Comments

• one old man Ogden, UT
    March 14, 2013 8:20 a.m.

I'm not Catholic, but I wonder how much different the world might be if we could find other truly humble men and women to lead all our faiths and national governments.

• MrsH Altamont, UT
    March 14, 2013 9:46 a.m.

How exciting. This will be a wonderful thing for the Catholic Church.
    I totally agree with One Old Man's comment.
    Blessings to my Catholic friends.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    March 14, 2013 11:16 a.m.

@ One old man. We agree on something after all! But I have a question for you. Why do those on the left demand that the Catholic church change their position on same sex marriage, abortion, mandated birth control and homosexuality but NEVER demand that of the Muslims?

• Cleetorn Fuaamotu, Tonga
    March 14, 2013 11:30 a.m.

@ Mountanman
    It's because the public at large directed by the media moguls understand that many of the tenets the Catholic Church carries is not the same as similar hard-core, immutable beliefs that more radical Muslims that are generalized cling to. You're comparing a brick to a pancake.

• MeganMary Murray, UT
    March 14, 2013 11:41 a.m.

It truly takes a spectacular person to remain so humble after they have been placed in a position of such power.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2013 12:44 p.m.

@Mountainman,

Great point. I find the inconsistencies on the left hilarious. Along similar lines, can you imagine a group deciding to do a play, a la the book of Mormon, but a play on Islam instead, where many of their "sacred' things are laughed at.

I'm not Mormon or Muslim, so I'd be fine with both. The left for some reason is only fine with the former however. They'd be screaming discrimination if someone did a play making fun of the Muslims.

To my Pope, I say God Bless you and you lead God's church!

@Cleetorn,

What a poor excuse. So those groups who believe in conservative principles would be better off becoming more like the Muslims in their approach to adherence to their beliefs? You're rigth in that Christianity and Islam are comparable like a brink and a pancake, but you're really not answering the question. Both groups have similar beliefs in terms of homosexuality and abortion for example. The left wants everyone to embrace Islam, but has as a main goal to fight against religious conservatism. The left is so confused.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    March 14, 2013 2:21 p.m.

@Mountanman
    "Why do those on the left demand that the Catholic church change their position on same sex marriage, abortion, mandated birth control and homosexuality but NEVER demand that of the Muslims?"

There are two categories of demands of this nature that people on the left make.

1. The more common one is the idea that the Catholic church should get out of other peoples' business. Specifically they want the church to back off of attempts to make gay marriage illegal in states and the nation. They don't muchcare what the church itself does internally, they just don't like the idea of a church imposing its' views on others outside the faith. Catholic or non-Catholic liberals could be in this category.

2. The less common one comes from those who actually do want the Catholic church itself to change to where it'll practice same-sex marriages. This view generally only comes from Catholic liberals because they have more of a vested stake in what their own church is doing as opposed to non-Catholics.

Since there's more Catholics than Muslims in this nation that's why you see more of #2 directed at the Catholic church than Islam.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    March 14, 2013 3:49 p.m.

@ atl134. I am not Catholic but as an outside observer I see lots of attempts from the left to influence Catholic doctrines but never have I seen Catholics trying to force their beliefs on non-Catholics. Case in point: Obamacare mandates. Therefore, you have it backwards! You want religion out of the government but you want government in religion!

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    March 15, 2013 7:29 a.m.

"I see lots of attempts from the left to influence Catholic doctrines but never have I seen Catholics trying to force their beliefs on non-Catholics"

First, whats wrong with anyone, left or right trying to influence doctrine? Good or bad, Catholics are not nearly as obedient as the LDS. A good percentage of Catholics use birth control.

Nothing wrong with making your views known.

And, how is "the left" pushing the Catholic church to include Contraceptive coverage any different than the Catholic Church refusing to cover contraception for non Catholics (or Catholics for that matter)? Couldn't that be perceived as both sides trying to will their stance on the other?