View from the Booth: Utah's new recruiting class for basketball will significantly help the Runnin' Utes

Comments

• ImaCaMan Oceanside, CA
    Feb. 28, 2013 11:59 a.m.

I am one of the patient ones. I think Coach K has done a remarkable job considering the state of the program he inherited. We were so close in so many games this year and were only missing a few parts. it looks like we may now have them. I can't wait for next year. Go Utes!

• Utes22 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 12:31 p.m.

I've really enjoyed watching the Utes this season and seeing how the freshman have stepped up makes me really excited about next year. The recruiting class does seem to fill the holes that the seniors are leaving this year as well as increasing the teams talent level. I love to see talented players coming in and increasing the competition within the team. Good luck tonight against Cal.
    Go Utes!!!

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Feb. 28, 2013 1:48 p.m.

Wow, with these San Francisco City College and Western Nebraska JC transfers the Utes should be favorites for the conference championship next season.

Well done coach krysko!

• Down under Pullman, WA
    Feb. 28, 2013 2:44 p.m.

Snack Pac,
    Let's not leave out the national championship.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 2:59 p.m.

@snacky and down under,

We'll still have more top rpi 100 wins than you next year, regardless of how bad we are.

LOL!

4 best wins in the state?
    1. Utah
    2. Utah
    3. Utah
    4. Utah

I love my BCS membership!

And yes, it does mean something in basketball(see 4 best wins in the state, as a result of our prestigious BCS membership).

• Kosta Fesenko Chicken McNuggetville, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 3:05 p.m.

Excited for the incoming guys. So many times this year, Utah has lost games because we just havent had a closer. I think BT can develop into that and I think Delon can be that next year.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Feb. 28, 2013 3:11 p.m.

What about Ahmad Fields? Rivals has him listed as a solid verbal but he hasn't signed and the this article didn't mention him.

Hopefully we can also pick up Brekkott Chapman in 2014.

• Down under Pullman, WA
    Feb. 28, 2013 3:13 p.m.

Chris B,
    Glad that YOU have BCS membership. Too bad the card expires next year. So tell me again when the Utes will be playing in their BCS basketball bowl game?

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 3:29 p.m.

Uteology, Fields took his visit and committed after the early signing date, so no he hasn't signed yet. He's an athletic, long-bodied guy, but not a great jump shooter from what I've seen and heard. He should be able to contribute, but I don't know if it will be to the same level as the other two guards.

For those belittling young mens' accomplishments in college athletics, what a sad life.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 5:20 p.m.

Down under

"Let's not leave out the national championship."

Yeah, because we all know it's Ute fans and coaches that talk about winning national championships and not BYU fans/coaches. Joke's on you my friend.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Feb. 28, 2013 5:24 p.m.

I don't see this as a rebuilding year like some. Someone said on a previous post; Utes are losing their scoring leader, rebound leader, assists leader, steals leader, and blocked shots leader for next year. And it's true. The rebuilding starts all over again next year.

I'm sure some of these new recruits will help, but it feels like a turnaround is further down the road than next year. Hopefully, U continue to be patient.

Utelogy - no need to dream about Brekkott Chapman in 2014. He'll be a Coug before U know it. Dalton Nixon and Chapman have already said they are going to play together. U are right - Chapman is very good.

• Down under Pullman, WA
    Feb. 28, 2013 5:30 p.m.

Motortrike,
    No, it was Snack Pac that suggested a PAC 10,2 championship, not me.
    So does anyone seriously think Utah will contend for the PAC 10.2 championship. Anyone?? Really?
    Let's start with baby steps and say that they move up to 10th place next year and so on every year.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 5:55 p.m.

CougFaninTx

"Dalton Nixon and Chapman have already said they are going to play together. U are right - Chapman is very good."
    __________

Incorrect. While Chapman and Nixon have certainly entertained the thought of playing together, Chapman has never said he's making a decision based on that alone. In fact, he'd have already committed to BYU if that was true, right?

More food for thought ... he's spending an AWFUL lot of time on the U campus and around the basketball team in the last 9 months.

And yet some more food for thought ... Chapman scored one basket in their playoff loss to Bountiful when Bountiful decided to play him tight and physical. They noticed in film that he didn't seem to handle contact well. I'm not saying he won't be a great collegiate player, but he might yet be exposed to some degree.

Them's the facts.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 5:58 p.m.

Down under

"No, it was Snack Pac that suggested a PAC 10.2 championship, not me."

Uhhhh, you do realize Snack Pac is a Cougar fan, right? It was pretty obvious that he/she was making light of the Utah recruits coming from Junior college programs ... not to mention the same old boring and not so creative jab at the PAC-12 (PAC 10.2).

Love you guys' obsession though, always fun to see. Keep it up!

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 8:04 p.m.

motorbike

I would say my boring original PAC 10.2 cliche is still very relevant. Else why would people still continue to use it? It's time tested and so true.

Back to the story...

Maybe Coach K is making some progress, kind of hard to determine by the win / loss columns but I will grant that, putting all the 'moral victories' aside, it does appear that something is different and improved from last year.

Losing 3 seniors does put 2013-14 as yet another rebuilding year for the Utes.

How many of these rebuilding years do U guys need anyway?

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 8:27 p.m.

Lets hope this new class can score the ball.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 8:59 p.m.

As a Cougar fan who HATES trolls (You know who you are, Red AND Blue -- make that EVERYONE knows who the trolls are, Blue and Red), I have no problem seeing the Utes succeed. Personally, I think Coach Krys is doing a very good job. Great requires a tournament victory. Good luck.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 28, 2013 10:06 p.m.

I am pleased with Coach K and the increase in wins will come. He is doing things the right way.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Feb. 28, 2013 10:07 p.m.

@Rational

Well said. I like your rational balance and 'rational' screen name. The screen names that claim superiority over others say what they say before you even read the comments much of the time.

• Flames6 North Salt Lake, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 10:18 p.m.

sammyg
    PAC10.2 > WCC.1. Can't beat the little boys club, no chance of ever stepping up with the big boys. Sucks to be a Coug

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Feb. 28, 2013 10:37 p.m.

Snack and Downunder,

Given that you are both fans of such an elite basketball program like BYU, I find it odd that you would waste your time trolling the U of U articles. Don't you have better things to worry about like winning a WCC championship.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 11:01 p.m.

sammyg

"How many of these rebuilding years do U guys need anyway?"

One more to be honest. Utah will be lucky to be all that much better next year than they were this year because they'll still be too small and thin at key positions. But with one more recruiting class and one more season of experience for our young players, it's the 2014-2015 season that I see as the season to truly judge this coaching staff.

I doubt they'll be top 3 or 4 in the conference that year, but I'd like to see them no worse than 6th and I think that's within the realm of possible with a staff that seems to be doing a good job.

There you go. Honest answer to an honest question. Nice begin civil isn't it?

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 28, 2013 11:32 p.m.

Utah is on the right track to compete in a very good conference. Coach K and his staff basically started from scratch this year. They will be a little better off next year but will still have a fairly young team. Youth is obviously an issue with every college program but when the talent level drops so low along with experience, then it takes time to get back.

I believe the future is very bright for the Utes. It helps that the conference they play in good and getting better, that helps attract better talent. In addition the Utes are planning on building a new practice facility for the basketball program specifically. They mentioned that during the game on ESPN tonight. It may sound small but those things make a huge difference to young impressionable kids. Lastly, coach K is getting better talent. With Loveridge last year and beating out some better teams for some of these new recruits, it's obvious it's headed the right way.

Not sure how many people know that Boylen had never even talked to Loveridge yet coach K was able to get him during the worst season ever none the less.

Go Utes!

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    March 1, 2013 8:48 a.m.

Can writers put to bed, the phrase..."scored the basketball", when speaking of basketball.

How about we get back to just saying "scored" or "scoring"?

Like, you know?

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    March 1, 2013 8:56 a.m.

@Flames

It's the U which can't compete with the big boys, not only athletically but academically as well..

Utah cannot beat Pac 10.1 schools, nor can they beat the WCC schools either.

Utah is last, in just about every sport and in academics.
    BYU trumps the U in every category.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    March 1, 2013 10:46 a.m.

More than anything, and patience is a virtue, I am happy to see the culture on the basketball court change to a competitive never-give-up attitude. I am happy with what coach K has brought to the table. I think in 4 more years he will have his system in place with the recruits he primarily targets. I just hope that patience is our friend through this rebuilding process. One has to remember that he inherited a weak program that moved into a stronger conference (arguably) and now has to compete for recruits on a different level. In addition, it appears that he is building character and bringing in character which represents the U in a positive light. How many atheletes with the character of DuBois are playing on campuses throughout the country let alone Utah?

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    March 1, 2013 11:27 a.m.

@CougFaninTX

You are a riot. Remember your previous posts like:

"I'm confident the Utes will be better than last year. I'm agree with xert, probably 8 - 10 wins. Double digit wins should be viewed as a successful season with 11 new faces. I just hope Ute fans are patient." -- Oct. 31, 2012

I agree that this WAS a successful season with 11 new players. The foundation was set this year with the best player on the team being Lovridge, a freshman who returns next year (as of today the team leader in scoring and rebounding).

No doubt Utah has a lot of work todo but I think majority of UTAH fans will agree the program is headed in right direction.

As far as Chapman, this is what he told the Tribune a few days ago:

"Conference play is important, and Chapman likes the Pac-12 for the star power and the overall competition...Gonzaga is really coming on strong. The West Coast Conference school has been recruiting the junior hard...Chapman likes all three instate schools. He told The Tribune that he's close to the coaching staffs at Utah and Utah State and that he likes BYU."