Opinion

Letters: Tracers, pyrotechnics do not belong in Utah's wild lands during fire season

Comments

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Feb. 18, 2013 8:23 a.m.

Thank you for your common sense, it will however fall on the deaf ear of those who believe it is their constitutional right to shoot whatever they want, whenever they want. You must have done time in the red army to believe otherwise.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Feb. 18, 2013 8:45 a.m.

But if I can't shoot exploding or tracer rounds in the dry grasses of late summer, that just means Obama took another one of my freedoms away.

• booshway Woods Cross, UT
    Feb. 18, 2013 9:09 a.m.

The press blew the target shooter started fires way out of proportion. Over 600 fires this last summer and 20 started by careless shooters. The only ones we heard about their origin were the target shooters. The only thing that can cause fires whie shooting are exploding targets or tracers. Copper and lead don't spark, in spite of what you see in the movies. Let's keep some perspective.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    Feb. 18, 2013 9:16 a.m.

Common sense?

That isn't exactly being put on display up at the Capitol Building. In fact, many are acting down right hypocritical. They are taking away cities' right to determine which fireworks to allow. What happened to local control? Like the federal government, our Utah Legislature seems bent on being the (only) ones in control.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Feb. 18, 2013 9:27 a.m.

But it's my right to shoot tracers and exploding shells just like the National Guard did that time.

How can I pretend that I'm defending the world as I blast away at beer cans if I can't shoot anywhere and any time I want.

It's just another attempt to deprive me of my Second Amendment rights!

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Feb. 18, 2013 10:20 a.m.

booshway said: "The only thing that can cause fires whie shooting are exploding targets or tracers. Copper and lead don't spark, in spite of what you see in the movies. Let's keep some perspective."

Yes, that is what this letter said and what is being discussed? or did you not read the letter before commenting?

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Feb. 19, 2013 11:12 a.m.

I insist on my 2nd amendment right to keep and bear [and use] my flame-thrower, napalm, and molotov cocktails anywhere and anytime I like.

Dry Utah desert, summer time or not!

Anything else is a socialist Obama agenda to take over of my Consitutional rights!
    Hurumpf!

This is America - and I'm free to use my Common Sense to protect others, or not!
    [sarcasm, off!]