Opinion

What others say: No wi-fi in parks

Comments

• John C. C. Payson, UT
    Feb. 13, 2013 8:36 a.m.

I would like both modes at the parks--one with wi-fi and one without. When I want to be without it I just turn my device off.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Feb. 13, 2013 5:58 p.m.

Is it wifi or cel service that they want to upgrade? I'm thinking it's cel service, which would be nice to see upgraded. Especially along the US2 corridor thorough Glacier, which is a throughfare, not just a park road.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Feb. 13, 2013 8:29 p.m.

Oh I am sorry..... why don't we ban the RV then, since it would be blocking your view... and those loud colored tents.... eye sores. in fact, I think we should have kid free days. They eld or what ever you were stalking, those dang little kids scare them off way before any phone would. While were at it, those Harley Davidson motorcycles, way too loud. Better yet, lets just ban all cars... those summer traffic jams ruin the ambiance so much. Or... the only reason there are so many cars, is there are so many people.... if we ban the people, problem solved.

• Mike in Cedar City Cedar City, Utah
    Feb. 15, 2013 8:43 p.m.

Yes, let's ban all techology from parks, starting with vehicles and guns. I wonder if backpacking a tent might be too much. Could scare the deer and the bears you know. And all those beer cans and coolers, we could all do without those.

• zzz6valvoline salt lake city, UT
    Feb. 16, 2013 8:21 a.m.

This opinion seems a bit extreme. This is America. We have the freedom to talk on the phone when we want to. If the author doesn't like it, he can turn his phone off or leave it at home.

• Demo Dave Holladay, UT
    Feb. 16, 2013 11:32 a.m.

I spent a week in Yellowstone last July. I turned my phone off before I entered the park and stuck it in the glove box (there was no service, but I would have done it anyway). It was wonderful! A week of solace and solitude without the constant intrusion of moronic discourse that most of our conversations consist of.

Can you imagine being at the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and having to listen to the inane phone chatter of a thousand people who don't have their priorities straight?

Like a 40 foot RV, if you can't go "camping" without Wi-fi, you probably shouldn't leave your house.

• Rynn Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 17, 2013 6:09 a.m.

Very true Demo Dave. Sometimes it feels like we have technology overload and nature is one place where you can get away from that. It's very peaceful.