Opinion

Letter: No relocation: Prison needs to stay just where it is

Comments

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    Dec. 25, 2012 12:10 a.m.

I would be ok if land developers want to move the prison. Unfortunately, they want the rest of us to pay for it.

My demand is that they pay up front for the costs of the new prison, transporting all the inmates, and the initial start up costs. If they cannot pay for these on their own then the prison should stay where it is. The costs of land developers should never be placed on citizens.

Sorry riches, pay for your own capitalistic aspirations!

However, I have a feeling that they will find a way to stuff this down our throats and our spineless legislature and bought off governor will have us taxpayers footing the bill.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    Dec. 25, 2012 11:32 a.m.

I'm sure all guards will enjoy their hour or two long commute to the west desert. Or maybe some trailer park city can be created in the middle of nowhere. Or maybe they can live in West Wendover...

This smells fishy to me. If the developers like The Real Maverick said up there, want to pay for the cost of the new prison, I guess make it happen. But I think it's going to be a lot like these sports complexes, this will come on our dime while only a few really profit.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Dec. 25, 2012 12:21 p.m.

Utah's GOP are really socialists. Their motto: Socialize expenses; privatize profits.

Nothing new here.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 25, 2012 12:24 p.m.

Real Maverick and Howard Beal have addressed the central issues.

Let me also add that the real estate developers who salivate at the money they see in this land should also be required to pay for the extra and significantly larger transportation costs moving the prison would have for visiting families, attorneys, contractors, healthcare providers, etc., and for shuttling prisoners to and from hearings and other legally necessary travel to Salt Lake City.

If the people behind this scheme want to put up a $500 million bond to ensure that taxpayers don't get soaked as a result of this move, then we can talk. Until then, no dice.

This is just a typical grab by the greed-heads in our state who want to privatizes profits and socialize losses.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    Dec. 25, 2012 8:43 p.m.

All of the valley was land no one wanted until the pioneers came. Just because it wasn't previously valued doesn't mean it isn't now. I say move the prison. It's a bit of an eye sore any way.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 11:32 a.m.

The old prison was in sugarhouse - now it is a park - it was a great trade up

Time to move the prison again - and create open space - not another downtown

• 1conservative WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Dec. 26, 2012 1:38 p.m.

I don't often agree with "Real Maverick", "one old man" and "Blue" but they are RIGHT ON with their comments today.

The transportation costs for prisoners who have to be shuttled to the Matheson courthouse would be horrendous. They (prisoners) are required to go to more court hearings than anyone can imagine.

The trial attorneys also should be fighting this concept with everything they have. They'll be forced to drive 1-2 hrs? to visit their clients.

Sometimes the RINO's who run this state embarass me with their goofy ideas.