Utah State football: Matt Wells to be introduced as new Aggies coach today (+video)

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 1:13 p.m.

Way to go on your big season Aggies. It's fun to be in the top 25 huh? You should try it more often.

I'll be looking for ya in the polls, around 2030.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 1:36 p.m.

Chris B

Come on now. It is fun to banter with BYU "fans" such as Duck and Samantha but until the Aggies demonstrate arrogance and hypocricy like those guys, USU should be off limits.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 1:52 p.m.

@54-10

I'm honest with people. You may no like it. But even if the truth hurts, I'm happy to tell it. USU is barely on the national radar, even after one good season. I'll bet in the next 20 years they don't have more than 1-2 more seasons finishing ranked. 9 out of 10 years they'll be fighting byu for the #2 team in Utah title.

Just trying to keep reality in check. Deal with it.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:04 p.m.

I will be a classy Ute fan and wish USU well. You should do well with your new coach. Good luck moving in to the MWC. byU should be moving back in with you soon.

• thebig1 SLC, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:07 p.m.

chris b what is the matter with you time to get out of mommy's basement

• fliebynight Billings, MT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:11 p.m.

Chris B., the only truth is what happened this season, so spare us the "truth hurts" and other historical information. Live in the now. The Aggies were the best team in the state. If you're a fortune teller please do share as I'd love to win the lottery. Until the games are played next year the Aggies will remain the best team in Utah. Best of luck to Coach Wells. I hope he can keep the team rolling. Thanks to all the classy fans who wish us ugly redheaded stepchildren well.

• Utehaterforlife West Valley, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:22 p.m.

Fighting for the 2nd best team is correct, but that won't be against the Utes, for the last two seasons now you have had the worse record in the state, out of the three major colleges.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:54 p.m.

Congratulations to Matt Wells.

Every coach dreams of the day he/she will be the HC.

Your time at Logan will be remembered fondly if you just tell people straight-up that you will be there until Wisconsin, etc. calls...

Players and fans will appreciate the candor.

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:01 p.m.

Here's hoping that USU has done what it takes to build some stability and that there will be some continuity with this hire.

• JimAg7 South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:28 p.m.

Chris B… I'm betting you're the typical U man. A mamma's boy who lived at home to go to the U. With your team's situation, it'll be as long or longer before you see a top 25 ranking, than it will be for the Aggies. Comfort yourself anyway you can. Try sucking on your red blankie.

• PAC 12 Punching Bag SLC, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:34 p.m.

Interesting but I thought the PAC 12 was a superior conference to the BIG 10? At least that is what my fellow Utah fans always say. Yet our Defensive Line coach bailed on his alma mater to go and coach the defensive line at a school in that conference. Chris B can you tell us why anyone would leave the PAC 12, and even more startling their alma mater Utah, to coach there?

• Stang08 Cedar City, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2012 3:59 p.m.

@54-10

Are you trying to say USU fan's don't demonstrate arrogance? I beg to differ my friend.

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 4:08 p.m.

Chris B Do you have a life?

Good luck to Coach Wells and the boys.

• rafinsure Elk Grove/U.S.A., 00
    Dec. 20, 2012 4:12 p.m.

Hopefully, Matt Wells will keep things going with the Utah State football program and then stay around for a long time. Being that he's an alumus of Utah State, maybe his emotional attachment to the university will keep him around for a long time and he won't be tempted to bolt for a bigger paycheck elsewhere.

• Aloha Saint George Saint George, Utah
    Dec. 20, 2012 4:51 p.m.

Interesting to what happens when Wisconsin squares off against BYU. Coach A passionately doesn't like BYU. Some passion and just different caliber of athlete there, we'll see.

Fun to see how he integrates missionaries, Poly's into the system. Wisconsin is already good at keeping in state talent, especially with only one main school to choose from.

I expect he'll do well there, the kids will love him. "The best guy plays"

• InspectorC Wasatch Front, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 5:06 p.m.

Chris B @ 1:13 p.m. ---

Unbelievable! Totally classless posts, dude!!

Please tell us HOW YOU KNOW what it's like "...to be in the Top 25", when I'm guessing you're still in junior high?

Best wishes to Coach Wells and the Aggies!

• Down under Pullman, WA
    Dec. 20, 2012 5:08 p.m.

Best of luck to Coach A. He is a class act and should do well at Wisc.
    Also, Best ot luck to Coach Wells. USU is a great school and has a great program and he should be able to keep it going.

Crissy B.
    I think you just like to pick a fight with anyone that is not Utah. You are wearing out your welcome on the blogs. I think I knew you in the playground at school. You were the one threw a punch and then ran away.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 9:28 p.m.

I heard an interview with Matt tonight. It was very positive. Gary built an amazing foundation at USU. Matt will carry it on.

Go Big Blue!!!

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Dec. 20, 2012 10:12 p.m.

Big mistake for the Aggies. Should have gone with the Utah defensive cord. Hope I am wrong but I can hear the new coach excuses already.

• Mark D LAS VEGAS, NV
    Dec. 20, 2012 10:24 p.m.

As a Sun Devil Alum, I can say with certainty that anyone questioning USU's season and quality of fans is Schizophrenic... USU had an excellent year (two close losses that could've gone their way against BYU and Wisconsin), a top-25 ranking and bowl victory (albeit against Toledo), and continued continuity in the coaching family, is nothing to disparage...

As for the accusation that USU fans are "arrogant", I think you need to do a bit of soul-searching on that one... USU has always been the "upstart" school that had to fight for any and all respect they've received over the years (although the basketball team sure seems to have it going right for the past 10 - 15 years...respect already earned there).

Congratulations Aggies, on a terrific 2012 football season! I hope that Coach Wells can keep the train rolling down the track... As for any and all U fans - keep your nose to the grindstone, boys and girls, cause the PAC will take the very best you've got and still demand more.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 10:40 p.m.

@Chris B

Were you that one know-it-all kid with the glasses who was on the Polar Express? Here is the reality: Your team (no offense to other Utah fans) is no more than the Cal of the South Division. It's not looking like they will be ranked anytime soon. Just sit back and enjoy the Aggies. They are the team for everyone in the state of Utah.

• Stang08 Cedar City, Utah
    Dec. 21, 2012 5:21 p.m.

@Mark D

Are you kidding me? Clearly you've never been at a USU game with those fan's. I have and I can't say anything good about those fan's. They've always been disrespectful and nothing will change that. Go to a game in Logan and you'll see what I'm talking about.

• VAggie Bristow, United States
    Dec. 22, 2012 1:34 p.m.

If the team does well people in Logan will remember the good in coach A. If the team does well, any time they play "why do you build me up buttercup" plays in camp Randall ( uw tradition) aggie fans will hope Gary thinks of us.