Brad Rock: Utah State's Andersen did no wrong

Comments

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 12:47 p.m.

Wow, talk about an example of no integrity. Clearly Coach Andersen communicated he was staying at Utah State. Harder now to teach our kids about keeping a committment!. Oh yeah, I know its okay to break the committment when your salary triples - right!. Sorry, I don't buy it. Can't say I'm happy for the Coach.

• SMS Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 12:52 p.m.

I agree with Rock.

Utah State fans who are upset really shouldn't be. Andersen did great things for your program and you should be happy. This was a business move, nothing personal. He has a chance to coach a perenially top-20 program for a lot more money to support his family, why wouldn't he go? Most of the people complaining that he's going after money, should stop and think if they wouldn't do the same in their profession if they were offered a higher paying job.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 12:53 p.m.

It's amusing to think of all the locals who scorn Andersen while we'd all do the same thing in a heartbeat. If I were offered 3x more money to go and do the same thing somewhere else I'd certainly take it! And he probably was saying he'd stay at USU since only bad PAC12 jobs were out there. But who knew that a good Wisconsin program would allow him to not have to rebuild anything but to immediately start coaching for B1G championships! Good luck to him.

And he'll still have his shot at beating BYU, too...

• Stang08 Cedar City, Utah
    Dec. 19, 2012 12:58 p.m.

I love how aggie fan's are talking about integrity. Especially when they have none. Looks like Anderson is finally gonna have some real talent to work with. He played the game with the press but we all knew (unless you were a dreamer) he wasn't gonna stay after a season like that.

• Me, Myself and I The Promised Land, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 1:10 p.m.

The only people who have a right if any to be upset are his players. Go read their comments, some are confused, some are hurt, some disappointed, but not one of them is bashing him or tearing him down. Most have offered their support and wish him the best. Having played for him I can say this, Gary Andersen loves his team, not just as a whole but each individual player and coach. He leaves USU better than he found it, as he did at SUU and Utah. That's all we can really ask of anyone is when you leave and most of us do leave one job for the next that we left it better than when we arrived. Anyone who says Coach Andersen has no integrity simply does not know him and or they're severely lacking integrity themselves by slandering a man that's as good a person as you'll find, probably better. Stop the hypocrisy wish Coach the best because I know him and I know he would do the same for anyone else without exception.

• SVfan Logan, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 1:15 p.m.

Sad part Mr Rock is if he takes his whole staff it will be a death sentence for the future. My 16 year old woke me up with the news around 10:00 pm last night. A lot of people up here understand the better offer but are steaming over the way he provided so much hope for the future just to flip the light switch and go the other direction. Coach Anderson is a great coach but our fears are about who will stay in the program, players and coaches alike. And what will happen to all of the recruits who were ready to sign with the aggies?? Not that this hasn't happened before at Utah State, someone gets things rolling and then bails on there own creation. There is no commitment anymore in college sports, its all about the money. Sad but true.

• jpjazz Sandy, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 1:15 p.m.

So what was behind the press release on the 30th? Was it selling Potato Bowl tickets, pacifying new recruits, keeping assistant coaches within the program, securing pending alum $$'s or all of the above?

After some reflection, it seems obvious that the administration as well as Gary knew there were more interviews on the horizon and that there was going to be a coaching change sooner than later.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Dec. 19, 2012 1:26 p.m.

Coach Andersen did nothing legally wrong, but morally . . . I'd have to say that he should parsed his words a little more carefully.

Sorry to see you go Coach, but after what you have done for Utah State you won't be soon forgotten. Best of luck, in your future endeavors.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Dec. 19, 2012 1:39 p.m.

Sounds like the man had 3X as many reasons to go as to stay. Best Wishes to USU in finding another great coach.

• Backtothebasics Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 1:39 p.m.

Stop the gary-lovefest Me, Myself...Im gagging on your words. Your user name is his mantra, totally in it for himself. His team at SUU might have won more games but I know for a fact he left the program in a total financial mess. More money to support his family? You mean he, his wife and 3 college-age boys can't live on 700k???? Oh I guess 2 M is going to keep him out of the poor house. This is ladder-climbing blind ambition, pure and simple. I know a lot better men than he so stop insulting my intelligence!

• Salt Murray, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 1:40 p.m.

Anderson really just wanted to beat BYU next year-he knew Wisconsin gave him the best opportunity.

• ogmson Mapleton, Utah
    Dec. 19, 2012 1:55 p.m.

Wish I could have been a mouse in his pocket when talking with all of his new recruits: "Please come to Utah State. I plan on being here a long time. Just come and I plan on taking real good care of you. In fact, I plan on starting you as a true freshman. In fact, I plan on making our entire (substitute correct word here; Offense/Defense/Special Teams) center around your talents. Really. I guarantee you I plan on having the rest of the team elect you as Captain. If that's not enough, I plan on having you graduate with honors and be accepted in the graduate program of your choosing."

I hope all the incoming USU commits take this opportunity to look elsewhere. After all, you only planned on attending USU.

• pokytransplant West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 1:58 p.m.

last time USU went to a bowl was with John L Smith wasn't it? I think he is available!!!!!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Dec. 19, 2012 2:05 p.m.

I think people will miss Gary Anderson, but I doubt many would think he should pass this opportunity up. Its a dream job. Another dream is for Utah and Wisconsin to play against each other in the Rose Bowl with Coach Kyle and Coach Gary at the helm. Maybe they'll play for the National Championship. Maybe I'm getting light headed, but its fun to think about.

• RGinSG Saint George, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 2:17 p.m.

As an avid Wisconsin fan (who's going to his third Rose Bowl this January), I understand the feelings... Bret Bielema bailed from a super situation to one with great risks... and of course, more money. I don't think any of us saw that coming. However, things tend to work out in the end... after all, we're getting Gary Anderson!

Take a deep breath, folks, and remember... it's just a game.

• thebig1 SLC, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 2:31 p.m.

anyone who begrudges him for leaving should get out of Cache Valley on occasion.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 2:35 p.m.

Few places are worse than Logan in the winter. Anywhere in Wisconsin is that place.

Bundle up Gary! And enjoy your money...

• dbrbmw Orem, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 2:43 p.m.

I am a Cougar fan and I am sad to see Gary leave. He could of really helped build a great rivalry with the Cougars. He seems like a decent man and is definitely a great coach. I think Wisconsin is getting a great find. The Ewetes suck so I was really hopeing to see Utah State as our rival. I wish him all the best. I am betting he will still be a big help for Utah State by scheduling them in the years ahead. Too bad all you Aggie fans wouldn't come to the football games and support him and what he accomplished at Utah State. You missed out on something special. GO COUGARS!

• dbrbmw Orem, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 2:44 p.m.

Hey Utah State, you want Brandon Doman?

• fliebynight Billings, MT
    Dec. 19, 2012 2:51 p.m.

I love how so many commenters, Rock included, know how we all feel. "We would all leave for 3X the salary." That's not true. Yes, it's tempting, but if I was already being paid a boat load of cash and had a good job, great recruits, was being seen as a hero in my home state, I think I would stay. Andersen had the opportunity to do what Bobby Bowden did in Florida State or what Bill Snyder did at Kansas State: create a super power at a state school and stay there and become a hero. The Aggies could have been a perennial top 10 team, ala Boise State. He may have missed the Rose Bowl but he could have become a legend. Instead he's just another one in the long line of coaches who left. And don't compare Urban Meyer to Gary Andersen. Urban isn't from here. His leaving was unexpected. Gary is from here. His leaving was unexpected to many of us who believed that his words meant something. They don't.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 2:51 p.m.

@henry drummond

You're getting light headed. You may see anderson and wisconsin in the rose bowl. You won't be seeing whittingham and utah there.

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 4:02 p.m.

Brad Rock's new book is "The Boy Who Cried Wolf and we'd all do the same."

Coaches seem to live by another set of standards. They demand their recruits honor their verbal commitments, but don't do that themselves.

They cry out for players to accept responsibility for their actions and make them run wind sprints when they break their word... then they make big, bold statements about not leaving and then leave.

Would we all do the same for 3 times more money? Depends on our standards and definitions of character. Selling out is such an easy thing to do when the price is right, so easy to rationalize.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 4:07 p.m.

He left for a great job. CU was a horrible job, that paid more than USU. Cal would have been a good job, better than USU. Wisc is a great job. Upset Aggie fans would have done the exact same thing.

• AKFan JUNEAU, AK
    Dec. 19, 2012 8:48 p.m.

Any program that has virtually zero access to the BCS and can never pay the coaches a BCS type salary have to understand that there are destination programs in collegiate sports and there are stepping stone programs. The programs in the stored elite conferences still stand out as destination gigs and Andersen was definitely an up and coming commodity. It is totally understandable however for fans to feel as if they had been reassured one minute then left in the lurch the next. Both sides in this issue have reasons to feel what they feel, but I agree with Rock that nothing malicious lies behind this decision.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Dec. 19, 2012 9:41 p.m.

WAC vs. Big Ten. Money aside, this is a professional advancement move that any one of us would have taken.

• Deserthiker SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 9:52 p.m.

I think both colleges and coaches understand the situation. A couple poor seasons after this one and Utah State could be firing today's hero. There is zero job security in college football for coaches. I can't fault Anderson for grabbing an opportunity to coach at a big time program and gain financial security at the same time. I think his expressed feelings for Logan were genuine, but he also understands how the game works. If Wisconsin has a couple bad seasons- he'll be looking for another job again- but with a few million in the bank he'll move on with his family's financial future secure if he's any kind of a money manager. Boise State survived a coaching change after their first BCS win. Utah State needs to look to the future- they are still in a great position to continue to build momentum for the program.

• UTAG Ogden, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:07 p.m.

Sorry Rock, you're wrong. Take a lesson from Doug Robinson's article in today's DN.

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

BTW Rock, at what point (dollar amount) did his word/honor become worthless?

• JD Tractor Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 20, 2012 9:59 a.m.

Rock, don't stick up for him. This is a terrible spin. Truth is Anderson lied, mis-lead, or went back on his word. Leave the definition of "is" to politics.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 20, 2012 10:10 a.m.

You need to read your article Rock from Dec. 7. Seems like you drank the Anderson kool-aid and are now trying to help him escape from town with the loot he stole from the bank. What's up? Are you planning on running for congress?

• VAggie Bristow, United States
    Dec. 22, 2012 2:20 p.m.

If you think people would leave for 3x more money no matter what I say learn economics, specifically the simple concept of utility. If a someone has a ton of money already giving then more will not always make them better off. (Giving a broke person 1000 bucks may make them happier than if it were to be given to warren buffet.) that's why we believed him. He was set to make 750k with his new contract, which is a ton especially for Logan. Because we thought he valued those players and watching his sons play more than the money

• oldschool Farmington, UT
    Dec. 22, 2012 9:39 p.m.

Andersen did the right thing by signing an extension before leaving because that most likely will mean USU gets money in a buyout -- money that the university would not have received had Andersen not signed an extension. So now they can package that extra money to lure another good coach.

• androol Queen Creek, AZ
    Dec. 24, 2012 8:21 a.m.

As a USU fan, I actually have no problem with Gary leaving. Disappointed - yes, but I certainly understand why he did. Unlike most coaches, he did not leave USU high and dry for its bowl game, and did not let the job search distract from finishing his job this season the right way. I respect him for that and wish him well going forward. Gary took a huge pay raise, is moving into a great situation, and will be living in one of the great college towns in America. One can hardly blame him for taking the job. He at least has proven that instead of being a coaching graveyard, USU can be the stepping stone to an elite college coaching job. Gary was a part of the USU turnaround, but not the sole reason. Thank to the administrative support, new facilities have been built, are under construction, or in the planning stages. USU is headed into what should be the best of the "gang of five" conferences. Matt Wells is well respected by the team and has proven himself at several coaching stops. He is young and full of energy as well, and he is a USU alum.