Dick Harmon: James Lark's moment in time has finally come, projected to start in Poinsettia Bowl

Comments

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 9:36 p.m.

Great news!

James Lark deserves his moment in the sun. Good luck James.

Go Cougs!

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 9:54 p.m.

Go Lark! I also hope we see Nelson for a couple plays because all of Cougar Nation respects him for his grit and competitiveness. I hope Lark lobs several bombs to Hoffman and Apo. Can't wait till Thursday!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 18, 2012 9:54 p.m.

Very excited for Lark and the Cougars. Truly hoping that Lark will carve up the SDSU secondary.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 10:02 p.m.

May the force of the pass and the rush be with him and the Cougars.

Let 'er rip.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 18, 2012 11:00 p.m.

I'm hoping this is true for Lark.

Hoping that Riley gets a token snap to end it on high note for him personally or gets called in for a special play IF he's healthy enough.

Good luck Lark and go Cougars!

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Dec. 19, 2012 12:43 a.m.

All good things come to those who wait. Lark just had to wait a little longer than most.
    I can't wait to see what Lark can do against SDSU.

Coach Edwards always used to sat that at BYU the passing game made the running game possible. I liked that philosophy better.

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 19, 2012 7:47 a.m.

Someone take Nelson's helmet from him, please!

• objectsinmirror Tooele, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 8:57 a.m.

Awesome! Yes, Lark did light up a poor team in his previous start. But accuracy and decisions translate against even elite competition. Congratulations Mr. Lark. May you recieve all the positive Karma you have coming your way. For as "gritty" as the other guy is, James is even more gracious and talented.

• bcandersen Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 9:03 a.m.

Not necessarily a BYU fan, but the story of James Lark reminds me of Kevin Curtis. For those of you that do not know, he was a 3rd string receiver for Bingham High School. He walked on to USU, and became a very known and respected name in the NFL. There are times where a coach doesn't see the player for the talent they have. I do hope that Lark is able to deliver-he definitely has a BYU quarterback feel to him.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Dec. 19, 2012 9:21 a.m.

Light up the scoreboard James!

A Ute fan.

• Wanda B. Rich Provo, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 9:26 a.m.

I hope they both play and play well. But watch out for the 17-year-old running back. He's got a bright future.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Dec. 19, 2012 9:52 a.m.

Tear it up Lark, and hope to see Riley get the ball a bit as well if he is healthy enough.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:11 a.m.

In a fair world, the BYU coaches, given the team record over past 2 years would have given Lark a shot long before this. But the world is not fair as young James has learned. While I hope he plays well against SDS, I more hope that he has a great life after Thursday and is spectacularly successful.

• cal cougar camarillo, CA
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:24 a.m.

Bronco is an emotional person that connects with players. Prefers players along same lines as his personality. Hence, the attachment to Nelson who plays with his heart. The next issue, he chooses coaches along same lines. Doman, from what I have heard is nervous. I love young, emotional defensive coaches. Take a look at USC with the Lane Kiffins father doing defense. It doesn't work. You need a lot of emotional energy with defense.

On the offensive side of the ball. Over doing emotional energy leads to playing nervous and tight. Close games are a problem for emotional offensive teams. Huge mistakes occur.
    The offense needs the opposite of Bronco. More older, confident, seasoned coach. Offense needs thinking and confidence, not emotionality. I don't know James Lark, but his patience leads me to believe he is a quiet, thinking type player. Not a favorite of Bronco. But exactly what is needed for success on offense. Check out results in the upcoming bowl with Lark.

Playing tight is born of coaching tight on offense. Doman's schemes are good, demeanor bad. Anwer: Doman out for older, confident offense coach. Bronco should stay as head coach. Great recruiter, great leader.

• Aloha Saint George Saint George, Utah
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:31 a.m.

Seeing Lark play was the first time against NMS, BYU looked like BYU of old the first time in a long time.

SO what happens if Lark's one hit wonder moment goes bad? Nonetheless, he deserves the chance. The best guy plays!!!

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:33 a.m.

Go Cougars! Make it a win!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 10:45 a.m.

We would be National Champs and undefeated if he started all year long.

• ClarkeinAK Anchorage, AK
    Dec. 19, 2012 11:57 a.m.

I hope he does well and ends his once-promising career on a high note. The better he does will make Bronco look like a fool for not starting him over his boy Nelson...so I'm REALLY pulling for him so BYU brass will go get Andy Reid, who knows a thing or two about offense. Bronco can stay on as a well-paid D coordinator if he wants, but he and Doman have no business running an offense.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 12:23 p.m.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 2:45 p.m.

Good luck to James. He has waited a long time for his shot and I hope he does well.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 3:26 p.m.

"We would be National Champs and undefeated if he started all year long."

With all due respect to the author, whenever I see a phrase with anyting to do with the national championship among the comments on a BYU article, I immediately assume that it is hubris or that the comment is written by a troll.

To break into the National Championship game, BYU needs a previous season's record of at least 10 wins and then a perfect season with a schedule like the 2013 schedule. It is going to be a while, so let's show the same class as Lark and patiently wait for that time to come. But enjoy the ride!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 3:57 p.m.

Lark should have been the starter all year

• BlueNtheFace Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Dec. 19, 2012 4:14 p.m.

plyxply (SLC, UT)
    "I'd love to see Riley get a shot to redeem himself, he's at least earned that right after all of his hard work and dedication to the program. Besides BYU deserves Riley, they broke rules to get him there, provoked a new NCAA rule banning BYU from recruiting missionaries even, so to let him vanquish on the bench in his last game is truly unfair after all he's contributed to the program and to football in general."

I get and appreciate the sarcasm throughout your entire comment, but let's keep the facts factual. Riley's family contacted BYU. And Riley himself did so pre-mission. I have proof from one of his Logan HS coaches who knew he would not be returning to USU but to (walking on if he had to) BYU. It's a good rule, however, protecting many programs' missionaries from harrassment while on missions.

Go James! Here's to looking forward to a box that's not stacked on our offense!

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 4:14 p.m.

James, I hope you have a real Lark.

• Black Shirts South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 4:59 p.m.

Thank you! Now we can score over 10 points.

• #1 Champ Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 4:59 p.m.

Brave Article. It is 100% true. I hope BYU learns their lesson. I hope BYU adopts the rule, best player plays.

That's what I liked about Pete Carrol. Every season he started out with the same speech. 'I don't care how much money your family gives to the program, I don't care what you did in high school, I don't care if you're a Senior, the BEST PLAYER PLAYS"

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Dec. 19, 2012 5:18 p.m.

Good Luck Lark!!

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 6:24 p.m.

Congrats to James (I'm still not convinced Bronco won't pull the rug out from under him at the last moment). I hope you close out your senior season with a bang and a big finish. Top what you did in the NMSU game!

Best Wishes to you!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Dec. 20, 2012 7:03 a.m.

Riley should start the game wearing a baseball hat, and end the game wearing a baseball hat. Tonight will be interesting. Go Cougars!!!

• Mortoon Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 20, 2012 7:24 a.m.

After all the carnage he has reeked, I can't see Nelson on the the field. Go Lark!

• Amorphous Saint George, UT
    Dec. 20, 2012 12:10 p.m.

Couldn't be happening to a more deserving, worthy recipient. Good for you, James. Can't wait for the game to start!

• Ronald Uharriet SWun City, Ca.
    Dec. 20, 2012 2:33 p.m.

“Because of Nelson Riley’s injuries, Lark is FORCED to play in the bowl game????

FORCED ???

Come on, give me a break!!!!

Just say, "Lark gets the opportunity to once again shine as the Cougar starter in the Poinsetta Bowl, this Thursday, 12/20/12 vs. SDS @ 5:00 P.M. . For what ever the reason(s), Lark gives the Cougars the best chance of winning that final game for the 2012 season.