Utah State football: Bingham star Hayden Weichers chooses USU over BYU

Comments

• JoCo Ute Grants Pass, OR
    Dec. 10, 2012 10:57 p.m.

Congrats to both men. Way to go USU. But the real big time winner here is Luke Falk and family. They just hit the educational jackpot. Cornell's Ivy League education can't be beat and tuition, fees and room and board is about $60,000 per year. Wow!

• Utah_State_Fan Logan, Utah
    Dec. 10, 2012 11:40 p.m.

• Black Shirts South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 5:00 a.m.

Thank you!

This kid was a surprise recruit anyway. He had very low stats for a D1 level recruit. This leaves room for a better pick and BYU already has 4 quality RX recruits this year. In fact, I think the kid realized he wasn't going to get any PT. So again, Thank you Gary A. I think he is a 1 star.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 7:35 a.m.

I will continue to trust GA in his recruiting process and realize that he knows far more than any fan about judging D1 talent, including Black Shirts. Welcome to the AGGIES Hayden.....great choice.

• byufan1993 Provo, , UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 8:52 a.m.

Utah_State_Fan

Seriously?! You are absolutely right that recruiting should not take place while the young man is in the mission field. And BYU adheres to that! Stop complaining! The fact is the mission changes you, and you want different things when you get back. It just so happens that BYU can offer those things. This isn't a result of recruiting. It's a result of BYU being a good university, with standards that are actually appealing to many good young men. It's why I chose to attend BYU. You got this recruit and that is marvelous for you! I'm happy for you and happy for him. I don't understand all the hatred towards BYU. I love Utah State! I root for you guys all the time! I root for Utah too! I feel horrible for Alex Smith and the situation he has been put in! I wanted to see him succeed! So don't point the finger at BYU when there are three more pointing back at you. Show some civility. Go Aggies! Go Utes! Go COUGARS!!!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 11, 2012 9:08 a.m.

This is a win for everybody.

• Bayareafan Orinda, CA
    Dec. 11, 2012 9:11 a.m.

Agree with kudos to Luke Falk but it could be more of a financial burden than a jackpot. Cornell, like the other Ivies, does not give football scholarships. Let's hope that Luke's academic prowess matches his football abilities and he gets an academic scholarship. Still and all, a Cornell education is worth every penny.

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 11, 2012 9:27 a.m.

Re: Utah_State_Fan

Trust me, we don't want anymore of your recruits.

• Bomar Roberts, ID
    Dec. 11, 2012 9:33 a.m.

After this past season, I would expect the Aggies to benefit from having their best season and heading in the right direction. Conversely, I would expect the Cougars & Utes to suffer losses in their recruiting, as well as lose some of their verbal commits.

• Bayareafan Orinda, CA
    Dec. 11, 2012 9:38 a.m.

I think the point being missed on Weichers' switch to USU is that he has apparently decided to defer his mission. He plans to "play immediately" for the Aggies rather than wait two years. He would have played behind a similar player, JD Falslev, had he gone to BYU fresh out of high school, whereas he could get significant playing time this Fall in Logan. Good get for USU and a smart tactic by Coach Anderson in promising immediate PT.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 9:42 a.m.

Perhaps he wanted a chance to play in a BCS game. With being just 2 field goals away, it wouldnt surprise me at all to see USU in a BCS bowl game in the next 5 years.

P.S. No - the BCS is not going anywhere for all intents and purposes.

Significant(See formerly BCS Bowls) will only be scheduling agreements with significant(see formerly BCS conferences).

Go Utes! Go aggies!(all weeks but one)

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 9:42 a.m.

byu fan....you have got to be joking right? BYU is suffering from karma right now for doing exactly what you say they don't do, recruit kids while on their mission. Riley Nelson is the prime example of how BYU recruits kids on their missions and it serves them right!
    Hayden is definitely an excellent recruit. He didn't have good numbers because he didn't have a qb who could deliver the ball at Bingham this year, but he is a legit D1 kid.
    Congrats to the Aggies on winning this recruit away from BYU, hopefully Harrison from Alta will make the same decision and choose the Aggies as well. Congrats Hayden!!!

• fibonacci2112 Langley, VA
    Dec. 11, 2012 9:54 a.m.

I don't look at it as a loss to BYU. Based on his his stats, I don't see him as the next great receiver for BYU. I can't even find a youtube video showing his highlights. He probably looked at the depth chart and saw that he would be sitting for a while and opted for the frozen tundra up North.

• Y's Guy Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 10:29 a.m.

Utah_State_Fan
    Logan, Utah
    "BYU will more than likely go after Weichers when he has 3 months left in his mission. I won't believe he is going to Utah State until he is wearing an Aggie uniform AFTER his mission. I personally believe that student athletes, while on their missions, are off limits to recruiting, unwritten rule if you will."

First, USF, if you actually bothered to read the article, you would have learned that he is going to USU right away. Not AFTER his mission.

Second--I can only imagine the weeping and wailing from USU fans if the reverse had happened. Oh, the cries of 'foul!" and "unfair!", and maybe even "cheaters!" thrown in. Yes, the hypocrisy is a delight to behold.

• thunder struck Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 10:50 a.m.

inconceivable! he must have not been eligible or wasn't interested in playing in front of 60,600 people on Saturdays at 11pm on ESPN5 against New Mexicao state, because why would anyone EVER turn down byu for Utah State. That's outrageous to the point that there must be more to the story. Congratulations though he is a good receiver I am still just baffled that anyone would ever say no to byu.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Dec. 11, 2012 10:57 a.m.

What these comments teach me is that going on a mission at 19 or 20 is now considered bad form. Ye gads.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 11, 2012 11:06 a.m.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 11:12 a.m.

This kid is very fast and should be a good player for USU, he is a good pick up for them. But I don't think this is a bad thing for BYU. They had more wr recruits than they really needed this year. Congratulations to him for going to a place where he can play immediately if that is his desire.

• guitarboy South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 11:15 a.m.

junkgeek?

It sounds like you have a concern, and you're trying to air it. But I don't see the connection between your concern and the comments made. Let us know which comments you feel support your concern. I am not sure there are any.

EdGrady -- your comment made my laugh, but I admit, I felt guilty for laughing. It just goes to show, most all of us will laugh at someone else's expense. The fact is, the vast majority who had an opinion, "voted" for Riley Nelson over Jake Heaps. I have nothing against Heaps, or Nelson. I kind of hope James Lark starts in the bowl game, and that Taysom Hill doesn't get injured again in his college career.

Hayden Weichers -- good job a Bingham, and we wish you the best at USU. USU, like the Utah Jazz, tends to unify the state of Utah instead of divide it. It is pretty hard not to find any football fan in Utah who doesn't smile when the Utah State Aggies are mentioned.

• longversion SANDY, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 11:53 a.m.

Thunder struck, it appears lightening struck first and fried your reasoning ability. The kid is maybe a 2 star prospect. He chose USU because he wants to play as a freshman and that isn't in the cards at BYU. No big deal. BYU is well stocked at the receiver position. Congrats on your coup. Congrats to the kid. Everyone be happy.

• SummitHigh Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 11:53 a.m.

Re: thunder struck

I loved the post, funniest thing about it is how many people will miss the sarcasm :)

To byufan1993:

You see, some of your comments explain part of the beef that Aggie faithful have with an unfortunate attitude of many BYU fans. BYU being "a good university with standards that are appealing to good young men" applies outside of the BYU-Provo campus. I personally find that the University of Utah, USU, and many other universities across the country and world qualify if these are the requirements for a good university for good people with hopes and dreams. Nothing to take away from the value that the university provided to you personally, that's great, but BYU doesn't have the corner on that market, from sports to academics to overall life education.

Don't get me wrong, some of my favorite people are BYU alumni, but unfortunately this condescending world-view is part of why I chose not to attend BYU. It's proud, unbecomming, and childish.

• longversion SANDY, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 12:14 p.m.

@plyxplyx - Can you please provide the evidence (not your opinion or someone elses) that BYU recruited Riley Nelson while he was still on his mission. BYU has repeatedly explained its position on not contacting missionaries in the field. They simply don't do it. Family can do whatever they want. Friends who communicate with the missionary can do and say what they want. To insinuate BYU is doing something against its own rules is pretty serious and deserves some solid evidence from those making accusations. If you have such evidence, please make it available to local media who can then present it to BYU, the public, and any other entity that would need or want to see it.

• dnay Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 12:57 p.m.

BYU has lost a few recruits while on missions too people, it's amazing you can spout out things and call them facts, I doubt you know any facts at all. Why would BYU recruit a guy like Nelson when he's on his mission and break the rules for a below avg college qb? When they already had a 5 star recruit commitment, and good qb's in the fold. Remember this is the same university who sat a guy for the NCAA tournament for breaking there own rules, a guy who could have easily help them get to the final 4. So you think this same university would break rules by the NCAA for Nelson for what to get ahead? Use some common sense if you have some! Isn't it about the same to continue to hawk a guy who's already committed to another university? Wow make sense guys! I think it's a good thing for Weichers he wouldn't have played at all next year and maybe not when he returned to BYU. Right now they a lot of good young receivers, & if Anderson wanted him that bad it's good he chose to go.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 1:32 p.m.

BYU didn't break any rules in recruiting Nelson. At the time, it was an understanding that in state coaches had, and Bronco has been critical of other coaches doing it. It was discussed at length when it happened and most people recognize that it was a little shady, but BYU fans wouldn't accept the "evidence" that 'longversion' is looking for if it were right in front of their face. They absolutely contacted Nelson when he was on his mission.

Hopefully Weichers will play well in Logan.
    Can I get at least one Cougar fan who will accept that it is possible that receivers don't want to go to BYU because they are no longer a passing team? Hill is another running QB. That doesn't appeal to people who get the ball thrown to them. Doman is ruining the program.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Dec. 11, 2012 2:09 p.m.

Wow. A lot of people are worked up over this -- even to the point of trashing this kid's ability. So a recruit changed his mind. It happens all the time and at every school. Yawn.

• BlueNtheFace Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Dec. 11, 2012 2:56 p.m.

Utah_State_Fan
    Logan, Utah

I know for a fact that Riley was planning on transferring (with or without a scholarship) to BYU post-mission. He told his closest friends and LHS coaches about it. BYU didn't and doesn't actively recruit missionaries. You still may lose him after his mission though, so your anxiety is merited. He'll just have to serve the "Riley Rule" penalty.

P.S. We've got a great slot receiver in the wings just waiting for JD to graduate - Cody Raymond (another local recruit).
    Don't cry for us.

• longversion SANDY, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 3:43 p.m.

Ragnar Danneskjold, just provide some credible evidence that BYU did what you and others assume they did. There was a lot of hearsay and innuendo back when the Nelson decision was made public but not a single publication, that I'm aware of, reported any evidence that BYU coaches or staff contacted Riley on his mission. Riley has denied it, BYU has denied it, but your bias doesn't allow you to trust those Mormons to be honest people and the ends justify your suspicions.

You'd be thrown out of the court with your current line of prosecution.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Dec. 11, 2012 3:48 p.m.

Look for more quality players to head to Logan. As a player or a parent if you look at who Bronco chose as qb you really would be rolling the dice by going to BYU. The coach is poor at evaulating players.

• byufan1993 Provo, , UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 4:04 p.m.

I did not say BYU has a corner on those aspects! I did not say one cannot be completely happy at Utah or Utah State! I considered both schools and there was never a question in my mind that I wouldn't find the Gospel and other important things there! However, they do not have the Honor Code. Beer, sex, and other things are allowed on campus. Things that I do not want to be surrounded by. BYU DOES have a corner on that aspect. And I was simply saying kids respect that, I respect that. That does NOT mean I think am 'holier than thou' or anything like that. It sounds to me like you group a large number of people into a very small group probably based on the actions of a few. That is not fair.

• byufan1993 Provo, , UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 4:05 p.m.

You also put words in my mouth and ideas into my mouth. I do not think I am better than anyone else because I attend BYU. I realize USU Utah are great schools where one can develop into a great man or woman, I simply acknowledge that at BYU, because it is a private institution, these topics are more welcome and encouraged. I love starting class out with a prayer. And I love my university of choice. That does not mean in any way that I think less of other universities. I like the Honor Code. And I chose to go to school where the laws I choose to live by, can be enforced. I do not in any way look down and belittle USU, Utah, or any other university.

• longversion SANDY, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 4:16 p.m.

SummitHigh, I think BYU1993's comments are up to interpretation. For a Mormon kid I think his comment is dead on. BYU isn't immune from elements that could lure a kid from his or her religious and moral commitments, but they are nothing like what you can find around the USU or Utah campuses. That doesn't make those schools or the people who attend them evil or bad, it just means more opportunities for Mormon kids to go places they know they shouldn't. Call that self-righteous, zealous, holier-than-thou, and all the other names that get thrown at the BYU athletes and fan base, but that's a fact. The environment at BYU is designed to help LDS kids have a college experience that compliments their religious beliefs.

• altahoops Provo, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 4:29 p.m.

Wiecher's own words are pretty clear... "scholarship opened up, I could play right away, that's all I needed to hear." Translation: Despite the sport's writers efforts to attribute this to a Utah State program on the rise (which it is.. not question), the decision was about who would pony up the scholarship the fastest. In all honesty, that is how most bubble players make the decision of which school to go to. Rarely is it about the best fit. They usually don't have that luxury. Most often it's about whoever will pay me whether or not it is my first choice.

My criticism isn't of players that do this. I have a daughter who did it too. My criticism is of sports writers who embellish the story to make it something that it is not.

• altahoops Provo, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 4:31 p.m.

"Still and all, a Cornell education is worth every penny."

Just ask Andy Bernard... ribip bip bi do

• altahoops Provo, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 4:42 p.m.

"unfortunately this condescending world-view is part of why I chose not to attend BYU."

That and the fact that you didn't get accepted, right?

• dnay Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 4:49 p.m.

Looks like we got Frances Bernard, would rather have another running back then receiver, plus the guy can play safety. That worked out very well I think. I hope Weichers does well for Utah State and I hope they continue to do well, it's nice to see them win again. Of course I still don't think Anderson will stay through his entire contract, he'll get a better deal and move on. It would help him stay if you guys could fill the stadium for home games, the best season in years and can't fill it, to a coach that's not good, hurts recruiting and just makes it harder. Let's hope that get turned around.

• Disgruntled Nephi, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 5:51 p.m.

Chris B. you never fail to disappoint. I'm really worried we'll see a sudden mass exodus of BYU recruits to USU after they read your well thought out comments. As far as the recruiting missionaries accusations where is the uproar when BYU loses a player after a mission? Ben Olsen and Jake Murphy are two prominent examples.

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    Dec. 11, 2012 6:05 p.m.

Not only does he get to play right away but he'll be playing for a team whose quarterback passed for over 3,000 yards this season. Given BYU's recent inability to put a successful quarterback on the field and their lack of identity on offense, there's no question that he made the best decision for him.

• Andermart Pullman, WA
    Dec. 11, 2012 8:05 p.m.

Hayden, we are excited for you. You will love it up in Logan. I wish you had stuck with BYU, but we all hope you excel wherever your game and your heart take you. Who knows, once you get out there on your LDS mission you might lean back to BYU, but if not, we wish you well anyway.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 11, 2012 8:53 p.m.

@worf

"Hmm? Shiply, Davis, Shumway, etc. The Cougs will survive. It's the utes who should be concerned."

Really? Don't let any facts get in your way ... like how Utah has a 4 star wide receiver, Andre Lewis, committed to signing.

The Utes and Ute fans don't need your concern, but thanks for caring!

• kaspercasey gilbert, AZ
    Dec. 11, 2012 9:07 p.m.

BYU has three other recievers this recruiting class who have the same 4.5 speed. The only difference is they are 6'2 and he is 6'0. The only schools to offer this kid were BYU and USU. I am not loving this recruiting class. Maybe USU can take a few more of these (low profile) recruits off BYU's hands.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 12, 2012 11:46 a.m.

Re: longversion

Okay, first of all your statement that "your bias doesn't allow you to trust those Mormons to be honest" is laughable and a great example of an attitude that people despise in some BYU fans.
    I am not going to spend all day searching articles from almost 5 years ago, but here is an example. Look at "BYU: Nelson spurns Ags for Y." The article quotes Rileys father and says in it:
    Conversations between coach Higgins at BYU and coach Favero at Logan led to discussions via email between Riley and BYU coaches.
    "Keith Nelson said when news reached him that BYU had some interest, he requested permission from his son's mission president to address the issue."

Now this isn't proof that BYU recruited Riley on his mission, but it is also reason enough to stir reasonable suspicion. But it is absolutely proof that BYU contacted a missionary during his mission that was committed to another school. I have no problem with them contacting him. The question is who initiated contact. There is no proof, but there is plenty of grounds for suspicion.

• TaeKwonDoTodd SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Dec. 19, 2012 8:38 p.m.

Gary Andersen did a recruiting job on Hayden. Now Coach Andersen is a Badger. Good luck at USU