Heisman Trophy: Johnny Manziel wins Heisman, Manti Te'o a runner up

Comments

• Glfklee Santa Fe, NM
    Dec. 8, 2012 9:15 p.m.

I would love to have seen Manti holding the Heisman, but I can't argue with the Johnny Football highlight reel.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Dec. 8, 2012 9:30 p.m.

Giving the Heisman to a freshman is well, like giving the Nobel Peace Price to a brand new US President. It takes a great deal of luster off the prize and (dare I say it) cheapens the worth of the award in many minds.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 8, 2012 10:12 p.m.

Toosmart, it's not a lifetime achievement award. This article made it sound like the voting was a landslide victory. 300 points is actually not too distant of a finish. Great season for all, this was klein's award to lose a month ago, and he did.

• Heart and Mind BUENA VISTA, VA
    Dec. 8, 2012 10:24 p.m.

I guess this is just the year for Mormons to finish second in prominent national races.

• OCoug Ogden, UT
    Dec. 8, 2012 11:43 p.m.

Curse you SEC, Curse you.

• Y-Ask-Y? Provo, UT
    Dec. 9, 2012 12:07 a.m.

I told you Teo would not be awarded the Heisman.

And what is with the sour grapes?

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 9, 2012 10:15 a.m.

The Heisman was given to the right recipient. Manziel earned it. He was the pivotal player, Te'o was a great role player.

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 9, 2012 4:59 p.m.

I guess, from now on, we can now call the Heisman as the award for the best offensive player in college football. Too bad! I guess you could call this sour grapes but I read one too many articles that basically said the Heisman was Manti's except that he was a defensive player. Again, too bad, if the side of the ball you play on, dictates whether or not you are "eligible" for the award.

I also feel bad about the "mormon" comment. I felt a negative overtone. I hope it was not intended as a slur. Manti is an excellent young man and an excellent representative of his school, race, religion, and the Great State of Hawaii.

• eagle Provo, UT
    Dec. 9, 2012 10:37 p.m.

There was a time when quarterbacks could not win the Heisman as running backs and sometimes receivers owned the award. That has changed in the last 20 years or so. This could change with defensive players given time. But at any rate, none of the three finalists are the best three players in college football and none were close to the quality of RGIII or Luck.