Opinion

Letter: Adults must communicate that discrimination and bigotry are never acceptable

Comments

• Stalwart Sentinel San Jose, CA
    Dec. 7, 2012 8:38 a.m.

I think you are giving them too much credit when you say they are merely silent on bigotry. Take a quick survey of these parents' attitudes re: SSM or merely scroll through the pages of the DesNews; bigotry, in its many forms, is alive and well among parents.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Dec. 7, 2012 8:39 a.m.

It's asking quite a lot to think that bigoted parents would try to stop their kids from becoming bigoted. And don't kid yourselves -- bigotry is certainly alive and well in Utah.

• KDave Moab, UT
    Dec. 7, 2012 9:09 a.m.

Everyone is bigoted. It is just that some bigotry is not P.C.

• Navyvet taylorsville, utah
    Dec. 7, 2012 9:11 a.m.

It's quite obvious that LaRue was not at the event in question when one student made an unwise choice that was addressed by the administration.

• Thinkin\' Man Rexburg, ID
    Dec. 7, 2012 9:23 a.m.

We also need to stamp out bigotry against white men and the wealthy.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Dec. 7, 2012 9:32 a.m.

But in Utah, bigotry is acceptable, as long as it's in the name of religion.

• Danny Chipman Lehi, UT
    Dec. 7, 2012 9:42 a.m.

Umm...just curious, but why is this story being brought up again? I read the Desnews website and listen to KSL radio daily, and there hasn't been any mention of this incident or the accompanying weeks of hooplah since it happened, what, at least a year ago?

Is this the 'silence' the author is condemning?

• Christian 24-7 Murray, UT
    Dec. 7, 2012 10:17 a.m.

This is being brought up again because of all the coded racist messages.

From the right:
    "Entitlement society"
    "poor work ethic"

From the president:
    "vote for revenge"
    "he is not one of us"

Those are mild compared to the persecutions heaped on the groups that are "Politically correct to hate" , like fat people, certain religions, the other political party, one particular race, and the rich.

• Eric Samuelsen Provo, UT
    Dec. 7, 2012 10:18 a.m.

A situation happened, was dealt with, is over. Why publish this?

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Dec. 7, 2012 10:23 a.m.

Eric Samuelsen
    Provo, UT
    A situation happened, was dealt with, is over. Why publish this?

10:18 a.m. Dec. 7, 2012

=============

I have gay family members -- They have been treated worse then DIRT.

And - they were taught to be that way at home as well.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Dec. 7, 2012 12:49 p.m.

@KDave

Your comment is more correct than you realize.

I wish I could think of the name of the university, but a group of students and faculty put together a computerized test to determine just how prejudiced people are. Using pictures, words and other images they were shocked to discover every single person who took the test, including themselves, showed to have some degree of prejudice.

I'm not proud to admit it, but I hold certain degrees of prejudice. For example, when I was a student at West High School, if you were to ask me about kids who attended East High, Highland High, Olympus High or Brighton High, I would have pictured kids who were very wealthy and very snobby and while that is the case with some, that's not the case with all, not even the majority.

I do not know if the letter writer is aware of her own self-contradiction. She condemns prejudice by calling Alta High students, "white and privileged."

That's where the PC aspect comes in. I'm not condoning what happened at Alta, but to pigeon hole 100% of the Alta High student body does not make the situation any better.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Dec. 7, 2012 12:53 p.m.

@LDS Liberal

You said, "Perhaps it's to segway into the LDS announcement toward Gay members to "Stay with Us".

I have gay family members -- They have been treated worse then DIRT.

And - they were taught to be that way at home as well."

====

That is the main reason why the church put up this website. We who are LDS absolutely must show more love, understanding and compassion towards our gay and lesbian friends and family members.

I was so happy to hear about this website. I know many in the gay community are still angry with the LDS Church, but at least I can feel much less uncertain about supporting gay rights issues as well as reaching out in friendship to those I know who are gay and lesbian.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Dec. 7, 2012 1:16 p.m.

I marched in Salt Lake's Gay pride parade in the "Mormons Building Bridges" group.

I'm not even GAY,
    but you'd be surprised at the level of bigotry I have endured just for showing love and compassion by marching in the parade!

This is a sad and serious issue within our LDS Community,
    and at it's very foundation is "hate"!

I'm glad the LDS Leaders have taken a step towards addressing it.

Interesting to note -
    The Bretheren are trying to change the attitudes, perseptions and pre-conseved notions of the "Saints" with this website, and not harping on the so-called Sinners.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Dec. 8, 2012 7:29 a.m.

Re: "Adults must communicate that discrimination and bigotry are never acceptable"

Too bad that both that good advice, and the irony of her clear bigotry against a large, diverse group of "predominantly white" students, most of whom probably agree with her, is lost on the letter writer.

• mark Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 8, 2012 8:44 p.m.

"We also need to stamp out bigotry against white men and the wealthy."

"Thinkin" man, yeah that's right the rich and white people sure have had it rough in this country due to bigotry. Yep, there's sure been a big problem with it for those groups. What a sad history in the USA of bigotry against those groups. Its been a stain on this country, how terrible the rich and white people have been treated. Absolutely terrible. Brings tears to my eyes.

• cavetroll SANDY, UT
    Dec. 9, 2012 1:15 a.m.

Impartial7,

"But in Utah, bigotry is acceptable, as long as it's in the name of religion". You forgot that it's acceptable only in the name of a specific religion. If you are prejudiced against said specific religion, you are a bigot. If you hold the same values of said religion, you are just being "true."

mark, of course rich white folks have it rough in this country. Just ask Sen. Dayton from Provo or any other rich white person in this country.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 10, 2012 7:33 a.m.

The letters demonstrate the problem with the present demise of the Republican party. Red neck good ole boys united only works on Fox.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 10, 2012 10:58 a.m.

"I hate intolerant people"