Faith

Christian actor of CBS comedy 'Two and a Half Men' calls the show 'filth'

Comments

• 1conservative WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Nov. 26, 2012 3:16 p.m.

Couldn't agree more!

It's also illiterate, sexist, and gives new meaning to the term "disgusting".

• luv2organize Gainesville, VA
    Nov. 26, 2012 4:31 p.m.

Unfortunately most sitcoms can be described as such.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Nov. 26, 2012 4:33 p.m.

After he got paid.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Nov. 26, 2012 4:41 p.m.

He keeps cashing the paychecks? If he is really looking to make right, he should donate all the money he made of the "Filth" to charity.

Looks like he is hedging for some sort of post show career with the religious right. Also, he needs to have a talk with his parents about this job they have all benefitted from.

• EZRider99 Saint George, UT
    Nov. 26, 2012 4:41 p.m.

I was worried that Angus T. Jones would become "Charlie"! - sounds like he is finally on the right track....

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 26, 2012 4:44 p.m.

He says -- [laughing all the way to the bank!]

Capitalism -- selling souls to the highest bidder since 4,00 B.C.

• bricha lehi, ut
    Nov. 26, 2012 5:08 p.m.

And yet he was 10 when he started the show. How many of us would have an opinion at that age? I say good for him for speaking out, he has all but gotten himself fired, not to mention this publicity might make things harder for his next job.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Nov. 26, 2012 5:22 p.m.

He's right, show is filth.

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    Nov. 26, 2012 5:34 p.m.

Plain and simple "Two and a half men" is a bawdy comedy. Success in Television is measured by viewership. In the marketplace of ideas this show was wildly successful. For 22 Minutes each week, the show came into your living room. Its raison etre is simply to make us laugh and not change the channel. While success has many Fathers. I dull show is an orphan. The show has run for 10 years now. I hope the CBS powers-that-be continue to pay the show's writers truckloads of money to keep this old Track Star laughing weekly.

Also, me thinks the wee lamb Angus is suffering from sour grapes as his episode appearence time has been cut back. Formerly cute child actors often don't transition well to more grownup acting careers.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Nov. 26, 2012 5:40 p.m.

The kid's right. It hasn't been the same since charlie sheen left.

• DistantThunder Vincentown, NJ
    Nov. 26, 2012 5:56 p.m.

Can you imagine coming to your senses as a older teenager and realizing you've been creating filth? It must be very disturbing for him, but better late than never. Raunchiness and sex are the lowest common denominator so of course Hollywood is "All In."

• ImaCaMan Oceanside, CA
    Nov. 26, 2012 6:27 p.m.

You folks criticizing it sure seem to know a lot about the show. :)

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Nov. 26, 2012 9:18 p.m.

Hutterite is absolutely correct. The show has not been the same since Charlie left. FWIW, Big Bang theory is the only funny show on TV.

My advice for Angus... If you are truly unfulfilled; go make movies about the Rapture with Kirk Cameron. Essentially, vanish from the face of the earth.... pun intended?

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Nov. 26, 2012 11:25 p.m.

The fact that he is still cashing the royalty checks because the show also runs in syndication shows how hypocritical this is. If he has any real values that he purports, then he should quit the show immediately and give his income from the show to charities.

I will give him credit when he does, otherwise he is a hypocrite.

• NightTrader Calgary AB, 00
    Nov. 27, 2012 8:24 a.m.

Never seen it. We have TV and cable so we can watch special events, but discovered years ago that there is so much more to life than watching most of what is being produced for TV these days. His comment is not earth-shattering news and could apply to most any soap opera, or sitcom over the last several decades.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Nov. 27, 2012 8:47 a.m.

So, This Angus has been on the show for 9 years, is pulling in over $300k per episode has a net worth of over $15 million but JUST NOW has determined that the show is "filth"

Guessing that he signs contracts every one or two years.

I guess that he was not "mature" enough to comprehend that the show was "filth" when he was 17+ and signing an $8 million contract.

His motives and morals may have been a bit more noble had he not gotten very rich before squawking.

As a betting man, I would have to think that the show was ready to let him go anyway.

(and, yes, the shows content is for mature audiences. "filth" is subjective)

• raybies Layton, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 9:01 a.m.

get upset with the kid if you wish, but seeing the money he's making, I'd say it takes a lot of courage, regardless of how much WAS made, to finally say, "I can't do this anymore."

Good for him, I hope he can find something he can approve of and will bring him greater fulfillment.

• Ranch Here, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 9:57 a.m.

2.5 Men, Big Bang Theory, Modern Family; they're all about sex. It's what sells.

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    Nov. 27, 2012 10:32 a.m.

Joeblow

In today's LA Times, quoting from the Hollywood Reporter. It seems young Angus recently signed a one-year contract to do the show at $350K per episode. I don't understand young Angus's problem is. Vincent Price spent his most productive career years playing homocidal maniacs. James Cagney made a career of playing gangsters. Neither Vincent nor James were these characters in real life. Its called acting Angus.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Nov. 27, 2012 10:50 a.m.

Quibble over details all you want, but we have ample evidence that even the self-righteous, "worthy" people have their price. No boggy. Just stop declaring your moral superiority over nonbelievers.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Nov. 27, 2012 11:24 a.m.

Thanks Track. I kind of figured that he had short term contracts.

Kind of hypocritical to sign a recent contract, take the big bucks and then complain publicly. I would think that CBS has grounds to show him the door.

You sure you went to BYU? lol

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Nov. 27, 2012 3:22 p.m.

The Scientist,

I hardly think this qualifies as that evidence. I know plenty of folks who walk away from money every day for something closer to their hearts (and you probably do too). Yes, atheists do this as well. Why are you upset?

JoeBlow,

BYUTrackStar,

Can you play against type and be okay? Sure. But is that not the same as the play or movie being against your moral code.

All,

Please folks, give the kid a break. He grew up and he learned something. Yeah, he made money along the way. Maybe he will do something worthwhile with it. We’ll see.

We should all at least be able to understand that he had an up close and personal view of Charlie Sheen. Even if the show had been a documentary about agricultural methods, having Mr. Sheen on the set almost certainly made for some less than wholesome experiences for a young man.

• AZRods Maricopa, AZ
    Nov. 27, 2012 5:24 p.m.

Wow, so many kid bashers.
    At least after growing old enough to see the show from a more mature prospective, he publicly declares it's trash.
    I'd say he's headed down a better path the Charlie.
    And I don't see him judging any of you who have obviously seen the show a few times.

Too many judges with aching consciences.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Nov. 27, 2012 6:08 p.m.

"Is every young man you know of 17 mature and thoughtful? Could his religious convictions have changed or at least firmed up?"

Twin,

Certainly possible, but I doubt it. And while people can mature some between 18 and 19 (per the one year contract that trackstar mentioned) they seldom do a 180.

The guy made lots of money. Maybe he did have a change of heart. If so, walk away quietly.
    That would be much more classy than badmouth the guy who made you rich while he is still paying you.

Most people dont consider a 19 year old a 1/2 man. I am guessing he knew his days were numbered.

But, as always, I could be wrong.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Nov. 27, 2012 7:31 p.m.

JoeBlow

I appreciate your last line. I understand that I could be wrong as well.

I can only tell you that if you knew me at 16 and then at 17 you would have been shocked at the change.

Things I willingly did at 16 I never would have done at 17 and I did try to dissuade friends from going down my old paths.

I would say that I did more than a 180 but then, that would actually be less . . .

I try to give folks the benefit of the doubt.