BYU football: Cougars' return to MWC is 'simply speculative'

Comments

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 19, 2012 10:02 p.m.

The only move that would make sense for BYU is a move to the Big 12. Independence is far better than ongoing return trips to football 'meccas' like Laramie or Ft. Collins. I love seeing the games on BYU TV and we are doing just fine in the WCC for basketball.

• Troy06 OREM, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 10:15 p.m.

C'mon post my comment!

Thank you Jeff Call for debunking this bogus story. Boise and San Diego are still moving to the Big East. Not BYU nor the other schools have talked with the MWC about going back.

Nice cheap shot Shumway!

• Why would I? Farmington, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 11:05 p.m.

Why would I expect the news to report "news" and not pick up every bit of gossip, inuendo and speculation? (Because I grew up respecting what journalists wrote and what they wre taught in the nation's schools of journalism.) Times seemed to have changed in the 'news business.'

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 11:21 p.m.

Rutgers and Maryland to the Big 10

UConn, Louisville and USF to the ACC

Florida St and Clemson to the Big 12

That's it.....

BYU....Stay Independent
    or
    form a new Continental Conference with the "Best" of MWC, Big East, C-USA.

BYU must keep it's ESPN deal, and rebroadcast rights. (Minimum)

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Nov. 19, 2012 11:27 p.m.

MTN West has moved on.

They may not take the Band of Aids back? Let 'em stay independent!

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    Nov. 20, 2012 12:11 a.m.

Maybe i'm a little too hing up on meanings, but how does San Diego state join the big east. Is Hawaii next to join the big east?

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 12:29 a.m.

College football is plain insane. The Big East with Boise and others is just silly. I wish the Big East had remained a basketball conference with the 8 teams in the northeast. But thanks once again to the BCS, the landscape of this great sport is a mess.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Nov. 20, 2012 6:41 a.m.

Only two options to consider:

1- Big 12 or other BCS conference
    2- Stay independent - only until #1 happens

Don't even think about the MWC!!

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 7:12 a.m.

Example that the BCS is still alive and bossy. They will drop the name but still have exclusivity to the big bowls. Time is running out, let's get a Big 10 or Big 12 conference.

• ManInTheMiddle SANDY, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 7:14 a.m.

The only way we should go back to a conference is it we create a new on and if they sign a new tv deal AND the teams are:
    1. Utah
    2. BYU
    3. TCU
    4. Boise St
    5. UNLV (because of basketball)
    6. San Diego St (because of basketball)
    7. Fresno St -
    8. Hawaii (for recruiting purposes)

That's it - do not add UT St. they have no tv market- get rid of New Mexico, Colorado St, WYO, and Air Force - they too have no tv markets and I'm tired of hoping they can win any out of conference games.

Then add Gonzaga and St Mary's for basketball only.

An 8 team league would allow BYU to schedule several top non-conference teams and travel around the country.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Nov. 20, 2012 7:20 a.m.

There will be a move back to 10 team conferences. With a ten team conference, every school can play each other once in football and twice in basketball. Why be in the same conference with someone, if you only get to play them occasionally?

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Nov. 20, 2012 7:40 a.m.

The jockeying circus amongst the college teams continues.

• majmajor Layton, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 8:06 a.m.

I think that it would be cool if BYU joined the ACC, or shared 1/2 of Notre Dame's ACC schedule (BYU and Notre Dame = full ACC team). Not likely to happen, but still fun to think about.

BYU should not join the Big-Least or rejoin the MWC. They can provide nothing but weak teams.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Nov. 20, 2012 8:11 a.m.

I have some questions as to how BYU is run. It has an enrollment of 30k plus, one of the 10 largest basketball arenas, a 60k plus football stadium, and a built in fan base (at least a couple of million) through association with the LDS church...and they're bowl access is similar to that of Army?

Hate to say it but, if I'm LDS and have a kid who is a top notch athlete I'm probably telling him to go to Utah until BYU gets their stuff together...

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    Nov. 20, 2012 8:15 a.m.

Blah blah
    Blah blah blah
    Blah blah
    Blah blah blah

Talk is cheap and speculation is worthless

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 8:17 a.m.

It is a rumor... conference expansion is a "hot" subject that grabs headlines. Look at the 2013 schedule, BYU is fine. The MWC would have to sell BYU on the idea. Who would listen to Thompson? No one.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Nov. 20, 2012 8:29 a.m.

"Much ado about nothing." Somebody please poke me when something actually real and factual happen about this topic, otherwise, I'm going back to my nap. I'm just tired of all the nonsense.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Nov. 20, 2012 8:38 a.m.

WON84,

If I live anywhere outside of Utah and have an LDS son or daughter who is a top notch athlete, why on earth would I send them to the U? Utah is a commuter school for people living on the Wasatch Front.

BYU is above the U academically and our kids meet a larger LDS peer group there that aren't all living at home. If they are really good academically or athletically, then consider Stanford, USC or an East Coast school that propels them into what they are looking for.

• BYUtah Fan Herriman, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 9:17 a.m.

I really don't care - MWC, Big East, Small Ten. It is all pretty much the same to me. The only thing I want for Christmas is an offense.

• JustTheTruthMan bountiful, ut
    Nov. 20, 2012 9:27 a.m.

Be the best of the 'other five' (conferences) and you are automatically in an access bowl. How is this espn supported 'rumor' a bad thing? WAKE UP deseret news readers/commentors! The BCS is OFFICIALLY dead in 406 days. How many of those days will need to pass before you wake up to that reality? Stop with the stupid already! As for you Jeff I hope this article isn't an open mouth insert foot type thing. The press these days is perfecting that absurdity!

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 9:31 a.m.

Just so everyone understands, I AM a BYU fan, but BYU is proving they are at best a middle of the road WAC team, why would the MWC take this mis-guided, ill-performing misfits into their conference? Sometimes you just need to start over and that time has come for BYU...from the coaches to the bench! I was so mad and embarressed with the game Saturday, I actually changed channels to watch Utah...then when it was over, I switch back to my team and watched Riley fumble the ball for another should-have-won loss...graduate Riley now!

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 9:47 a.m.

JustTheTruthMan

In order to be the best of the "other five" conferences, BYU would have to run the table or, at the very least, have only one loss against another quality team.

As an Independent, BYU wouldn't have a guarantee, but to be considered as an at-large selection, BYU would also have meet the same standard.

Does anybody doubt that with teams like Nebraska, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Boise State, and West Virginia on BYU's future schedules, that BYU wouldn't be ranked just as high, if not higher, as an Independent than the Cougars would be as a member of the MWC?

In reality, BYU would have just as good chance of playing in one of the 'bcs access" bowls as an Independent, as the Cougars would as a member of the MWC, and probably a better chance, with a stronger SOS, of finishing high enough in the playoff rankings to qualify for a 4-team and certainly an 8-team playoff.

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 9:58 a.m.

JustTheTruthMan "WAKE UP deseret news readers/commentors! The BCS is OFFICIALLY dead in 406 days."

Wake up justhetruthman. Officially dead is not really dead. The same conferences have exclusivity to the big bowls and the National Championship.

We should have jumped to a big conference three years ago. Might be too late now. But, I still want to hear that BYU is talking and showing interest rather than just playing it cool.

• Mildred in Fillmore Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 10:00 a.m.

Every conference in America wants us.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Nov. 20, 2012 10:11 a.m.

eastcoastcoug - While that's true there are a lot of LDS church members who think they've got to get their kids to the "holy land" even if they cannot get into BYU. I was raised LDS in Houston of all places. Quite a few from my seminary class went to Utah and USU for this reason.

That said, the main point is it's apparent BYU is not committed to competing at the highest level in football.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Nov. 20, 2012 10:35 a.m.

BYU wants the money grab and all of those South American football fans. They aren't interested in having a competitive football team that competes for championships.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Nov. 20, 2012 10:51 a.m.

WON84,

I agree with you - and am also disappointed at the level of play by both our football and basketball teams. This talk about which conference we are in is academic since we would not win in ANY conference. Have the best record in all 5 non BCS conferences? Not a chance!!

I still would never send my kids to the U...I love them too much!!

• JmThms Henderson, NV
    Nov. 20, 2012 10:54 a.m.

Veracity,

BYU is NOT 'at best a middle of the road WAC team'. I too am frustrated with their dysfunctional performances. But lets not exaggerate.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 11:00 a.m.

LOL

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 20, 2012 11:11 a.m.

WON84

"it's apparent BYU is not committed to competing at the highest level in football"

Sorry, but I totally disagree with your assessment.

BYU has already scheduled games with Texas, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Nebraska, West Virginia, Michigan and Boise State. If that isn't conclusive evidence that BYU is committed to competing at the highest level in football, I don't know what evidence you're looking for.

Nobody is confusing Independence with being a member of the Big 12, but it's certainly MUCH better than joining a crumbling conference like the Big East. "Cultural" roadblocks ensured that the PAC 12 was never a viable option. BYU's move from the MWC was the inevitable result of the MWC's inept leadership and unwillingness to address serious concerns about its lame television contract and broken promises.

Independence or membership in the Big 12 are the only viable options available if BYU wants to compete at the highest level of college football.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 20, 2012 11:12 a.m.

Unless the MWC can come up with a BCS bid, and a lucritve TV deal; why in the world would BYU want to go back? They are better of as an independent, or to wait for a invite from a BCS conference.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 11:32 a.m.

BYU won't join the MWC, even if they begged. If the MWC can't keep their promises before, why would BYU trust them this time? The MWC could have been a very good conference with BYU, Utah, Boise St., TCU, and later Utah State (in hindsight). However, they cheated their members and gave them no incentive to stay when other opportunities arose.

• Veracity Morgan, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 11:48 a.m.

JmThms

Ok, I'll back off of saying at best...they are a middle of the road WAC team.

phoenix

Sceduleing of games is one thing, but showing up to play at that level is another...and they are not and appears in the future will not be at that level...sorry.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 12:03 p.m.

• ParkCityAggie Park City, Ut
    Nov. 20, 2012 12:07 p.m.

I too doubt BYU's return to the MWC, not unless they could keep their TV deal. But you have to admit, it would be a lot better than playing the likes of Idaho, NMSU and Weber State in November. And if you cannot find enought teams to schedule late in the season, I guess you can always do what NMSU and Idaho are doing next year and just play them twice in the same season.

BYU to the Big 12 wont happen, I think most of you guys know that already. I dont' have a dog in this fight, I personally don't care if Boise or SDSU rejoin the MW. I'm fine with the conference the way it is! I'm sure the big east will pluck up a few more CUSA schools and Boise and SDSU keep their pride and stay put. Have fun!

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 1:11 p.m.

eastcoastcoug:
    Liked your comment. I believe I sufficiently scared my teenage daughter recently with the likelihood of having to settle for the U if she doesn't get her grades up from the 3.5 GPA she just earned in her first quarter in high school. . . .

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 1:59 p.m.

Negatives: Games in Laramie, Albaquywhatever, Ft. Collins with perennially lousy teams. Hair Thompson. Limited exposure, low-paying bowl games (like now). Lots of crappy teams to play that pull down recruiting.

Positives: If the conference has 1- BYU, 2-Boise State, 3- San Diego State, 4- Air Force; that gives some limited stature. 5- Utah State and 6- SJSU are just starting to do well. 7- Fresno State and 8-Nevada are okay. 9- UNLV is weak in football but good in basketball. CSU is a real stretch.

Forget including Wyoming, New Mexico

BYUtv must be part of the deal.

ESPN would be hard to drop and compensation must result to make up for this, although it's hard to replace the exposure.

• Res Novae Ashburn, VA
    Nov. 20, 2012 6:42 p.m.

I think that this is a tempest in a teapot. While the independent experience has certainly been a little "interesting" at times, I don't think that the school is ready to throw in the towel after two seasons. The CFB landscape is just too unsettled right now. And crawling back to the MWC conference is the last thing we'd want to do.

But in the off chance that we *DO* head back, at the top of my list of demands is getting rid of Craig 'Hair' Thompson. No negotiation on that point. How that man still has his job is bewildering to me.

• ConferenceofChampions Herriman, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 10:16 p.m.

Cougfanintx

"In a few years, I think the conferences are going to learn what the WAC learned years ago when it expanded - large conferences don't work. There are too many mouths to feed. The travel costs, for the school and the fans are too high. The natural rivalries are lost."

Hmmm, how many multi billion dollar tv contracts have been signed recently?

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Nov. 21, 2012 4:46 a.m.

54-10
    Salt Lake City, UT
    "Cougars won't go back to the MWC. They couldn't win that conference with Utah State, Boise State and SDSU in there."

Coming from a fan of the team that won how many MWC championships? U can at least be grateful UNLV isn't on your list. But U DO still have to worry about Colorado.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Nov. 21, 2012 8:22 a.m.

"eastcoastcoug
    Danbury, CT
    WON84,

I still would never send my kids to the U...I love them too much!!"

Regarding basketball, Dave Rose gets a pass to have one down season every seven! There is nothing to worry about there.

As far as football, BYU's only access to the postseason will have to come through a conference. It's a moot point right now but, let's say they run the table playing the equivalent of 2013's schedule. They will still not get in because that is revenue that would be "taken" from one of the five primary conferences. There is a selection committee being put in place to ensure that playoff participants come from five, and only five conferences.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Nov. 21, 2012 8:42 a.m.

Phoenix –

BYU has scheduled games with Texas, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Nebraska, West Virginia, Michigan and Boise State however many of those are road one and dones or road two for ones. BYU is primarily interested in playing in front of fan bases in other cities for exposure for the LDS church.

Unfortunately the only viable option for BYU to remain competitive at the highest levels of college football is within an AQ conference. They’ll never be a part of the playoff as an undefeated independent / member of a non-AQ conference no matter how tough of a schedule they play. The selection committee’s job is to ensure the revenue from the high dollar playoff games stays concentrated within one of five (probably four as the ACC is headed the direction of the Big East) conferences. Teams not from one of said conferences will not EVER be playoff participants.

Also, there are a lot of schools with far less to show than BYU in AQ conferences. I’m surprised more people aren’t questioning BYU’s leadership as a result.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 21, 2012 2:40 p.m.

WON84

"BYU has scheduled games with Texas, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Nebraska, West Virginia, Michigan and Boise State however many of those are road one and dones or road two for ones."

Home or away doesn't really matter. As BYU showed at Texas last season and at Notre Dame this season, BYU is not intimidated playing road games against big name opponents. Winning on the road, in fact, would give BYU even more credibility.

"Not EVER" is a long time and a phrase that was uttered frequently about the prospects of an "outsider" ever winning a major college football national championship...

until 1984!

Be honest, where would BYU be ranked today, if the Cougars had run the table beating #1 Notre Dame(10-1), #22 Boise State(8-3), Georgia Tech(5-6), and their rival Utah(3-8), on the road, and #16 Oregon State(7-3) and #25 Utah State(9-2) at home.

Undefeated with at least three wins against Top 25 teams, including at Top 10 Notre Dame.

Anybody who says that BYU(11-0) wouldn't have a VERY realistic chance of being ranked #1 TODAY, is simply being a homer.