Opinion

Letter: Daylight saving time needs to be abolished

Comments

• Mike in Sandy Sandy, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 7:50 a.m.

No Daylight saving is GREAT.
    The only tweak should be to make the Spring changeover on Friday night so we get the extra day to adjust to losing the hour.

• Grundle West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 8:19 a.m.

I agree with the letter writer!

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 8:26 a.m.

But I like daylight savings. How about just doing it year-round?

• Curmudgeon Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 8:35 a.m.

The problem is with the twice-yearly transition. Personally, I prefer year-round daylight savings time.

• isrred South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 8:39 a.m.

No, let's keep daylight time and never change back

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Nov. 19, 2012 9:16 a.m.

I vote for standard time all year long.

• Christian 24-7 Murray, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 9:45 a.m.

Why go back to standard time for 4 months. It is dark when I get up and when I go to bed. Makes no difference.

In June it is darkest from 10pm to 6am, on daylight savings. That works great! Who cares if high noon is at 1:25?

Leave it on Daylight savings is my vote. No adjustment hangovers.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 9:52 a.m.

Standard or saving, let's pick one and leave it.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 10:44 a.m.

ALL industrialized nations observe day-light savings.

Only poor, backward, 3rd world countries - most along the equator were dayling is mostly constant year round - do not.

Some people [mostly Conservatives] just don't like change of any kind - including something as simple as a clock.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 12:30 p.m.

China, Russia, Japan, India, Argentina, most of Australia and even parts of Canada and the US do NOT use Daylight savings

The reasoning for DST - saving energy - is no longer valid: More energy is now spent on air conditioning during the extra sunlight than lighting during the darkness

• Christian 24-7 Murray, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 12:45 p.m.

LDS Lib,

How sad you try to partisanize daylight savings. Funny too. Do you realize how many of you liberal buddies have voted to pick and stick with a time?

But hey, every opportunity to exhibit your hate for conservatives. Way to make all your posts meaningless.

I rend my clothes for you.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 1:07 p.m.

Counter Intelligence
    Salt Lake City, UT

======

Nice cherry picking to suit your agenda CI.

Would you like me to list all the countries the DO use Day-light savings? [I have a limit of 200.]

And as for China (a Communist country), Russia (formerly Communist country), India, Argentina, and parts of Australia and Canada 9Socialist Countries)...

I thought you all hated all things Communist and Socialist, that would include their time-keeping as well.

Look - the point is this, I'm sorry you don't like change.
    I'm sorry you don't like shifting your body clock an hour.

Complain to the businessmen and construction workers who rely on that Daylight and the lower temperatures of the morning hours while working in the heat of the day.
    They are the one's who need it, it's not a matter of just for YOUR sake of convience or evening golf games.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 1:12 p.m.

BTW - I lived in Arizona for a while.
    I remember not having Daylight-savings.

They had to change all their other laws regarding construction and other loud noises - like not disturbing the neighbors for mowing your lawn before 8:00 a.m. to you can't mow your lawn and disturbing the neighbors before 6:00 a.m. in the morning.

Either way - you are still going to find something to complain about.

• Danny Chipman Lehi, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 3:44 p.m.

Ordinarily I'd consider this a non-issue, but seeing as how we had at least a couple incidents of students being struck by cars last month, even in crosswalks, because it was still dark when they went to school in the morning, perhaps there should be further consideration.

Or at least put in a bunch more lights on school walking routes.

• Steve Cottrell Centerville, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 3:47 p.m.

Ben Franklin's original reason for daylight savings time is still valid. It reduces the amount of time that artificial lighting is needed in the summer-- for most people.

By the way, he was interested in reducing candle consumption.

• SG in SLC Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 3:50 p.m.

It never ceases to amaze me how many folks "get their knickers in a twist" twice a year over such an inconsequential thing as adjusting a clock.

Keep the status quo, adopt "daylight time" year-round, eliminate daylight time altogether -- whatever. My personal preference would be to keep the status quo, because I like the extra daylight later in the evenings in the summer and the relatively earlier daylight in the mornings in the summer, but it honestly really isn't that big of a deal.

To paraphrase LDS Liberal, it's always *something* with some folks . . .

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 7:23 p.m.

LDS Liberal,
    Your comments lead me to suspect that you are neither. DST is not a partisan issue. Your obsession with politics and stereotyping is gradually destroying my will to live. Please get out more.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 19, 2012 9:42 p.m.

"I'm sorry you don't like shifting your body clock an hour"

No you are not - you are just patronizing and partisan
    Why should I have to adjust for some artificial construct that does NOT reflect reality or save energy

AND when I lived in the desert - constrution workers went at early in the morning regardless of DST - it was the sun/reality, not the phony time, that mattered

• SG in SLC Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 8:58 a.m.

"and the relatively earlier daylight in the mornings in the summer" should be, "and the relatively earlier daylight in the mornings in the *winter*" . . . otherwise, I stand by what I said.

• RicoS Orem, UT
    Nov. 20, 2012 10:35 a.m.

If 50 states are on standard time now and the legislature abolishes daylight saving time, then come March it will be 47 states on DST and 3 on standard time, putting us out of step with most of the country most of the year. I don't see that as a gain.

And, for those who propose daylight saving time year-round, I would love it, too. However, under the Federal law that establishes DST, it's not an option. Perhaps it should be, but until then, it's not up to states to pick that option.

When and if the time comes that considerably more than one-twenty-fifth of the states have decided that daylight saving time is not in their best interest, then perhaps it will be time for Utah to follow. (Currently it's not particularly fashionable to follow Arizona's lead on things, and I hardly think that anyone would follow Utah's lead if we abolished DST.) Until then, I'd rather not have my state branded as an "exception."

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 20, 2012 1:11 p.m.

When I lived on the farm, we got up to milk the cows. We went to bed in the evening after the cows had been milked. It was always more than a sixteen hour day. It didn't matter to us whether the government told us to set our clock ahead or behind, we had a job to do and that job had nothing to do with the government. The cows had to be milked and THEY told us when it was time to go to the barn.

Simple minded people let the government rule their lives. They have forgotten that the government works for us. We do not work for the government. We elect government officials to hold a temp job and do to OUR will. They have no right to dictate to us and they have no control over the "time".

If the PEOPLE want the time to say on the same "clock" year around, then it is no business of the government to interfere.

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    Nov. 21, 2012 12:52 p.m.

We don't do DST here in Az. I like it, it's only a pain trying to figure out what time it is in Utah and California to me.

But I fear it's like the metric system, just because it works better doesn't mean we will do it.