High school football: Travis Vendela's inspiring sacrifice in Iraq has the admiration of the Jordan Beetdiggers

Comments

• Sportsman Salt Lake, Ut
    Nov. 14, 2012 8:24 p.m.

What an incredible story of inspiration and perserverence. Mr Vendela is a testament to the human spirit and his positive outlook leaves me in awe. I am so glad there are good folks like this gentleman to protect our country and teach our children. I am grateful that I was able to hear your story and want to send a big thanks to you from all of us!!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 14, 2012 8:55 p.m.

So often, kids look to their favorite sports figures as their heroes because of their exploits on the field. It's not always unreasonable, because it takes a lot of hardwork and determination to get there. But Vendela is one of the most heroic sports figures in the world today, who never personally did anything iconic on the field. Big thanks from a grateful American and Utahn. If I had a son, I wouldn't want him to play for anyone else.

• SportsLover24 SLC, UT
    Nov. 14, 2012 9:04 p.m.

Such a phenomenal story! I love this and wish these kinds of things happened more often.

• BEETS Tooele, UT
    Nov. 15, 2012 6:33 a.m.

Tra is an inspiration to us all. Thanks for your service and your willingness to mentor these young men.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Nov. 15, 2012 11:54 a.m.

What a great story about a real hero. And to be associated wwith a great high school. We need more men like that around our youth. What a great experince for him but also the players on the football team.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Nov. 15, 2012 2:26 p.m.

Nothing but respect to this coach for his service to our nation and to the Jordan program. I'm an Alta fan but my hats off to Jordan for bringing this coach in. Good luck tomorrow and thanks for your sacrifice and service Coach!

• Dan Maloy Enid, OK
    Nov. 17, 2012 12:41 p.m.

Travis Vendela -

You, Sir, are a true American hero and I thank you for your sacrifice. May God bless you and your family forever.

Maj Dan Maloy, USAF
    Vance AFB, OK

• LDSinTexas Austin, TX
    Nov. 18, 2012 6:19 p.m.

An amazing story of an amazing man. He is the type of man I would want to inspire a son, not only on how to be the best at football but more importantly how to be the best man he can be. What a terrific role model! We need more men like Coach Vendela to inspire the next generation to do what they know to be the right thing despite how it may affect them personally. He is one of the best this country has and I hope he will continue to inspire others to search deep within themselves and find the very best that they can be as well. Thank you sir for your dedication to your country and to the young people you work with daily. May The Lord bless you and yours.