Utah Utes football: Utes now in must-win situation against Arizona this Saturday

Comments

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 12, 2012 7:42 a.m.

I think this has more to with lack of coaching then talent on the team. Just like the McBride era this team is under-performing. I think they had talent to be an 8-4 team. The coaching has failed the team, from the lack of discipline to 4 years of search for a "real" OC.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 7:52 a.m.

Stick a fork in it. It's done.

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 8:07 a.m.

They will beat Arizona, but lose at Colorado.

• utahby6 SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 8:07 a.m.

I don't know what the big deal is about going to the PAC 12. I for one prefer to win... when you go to a game or watch one on TV you want to see your team win. I'd rather be in the WAC - the MWC or anywhere else, but win. I'm not even going to get into basketball. Maybe I'd feel a little bit different if my tuition went down for joining the PAC 12. If anything, it will go up. Whit could make his bonehead choices for OC and we wouldn't have to feel it as fans every week. Go Utes - but go somewhere we can just win.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 8:15 a.m.

The good news:

Arizona was smoked at Oregon 49-0 and at UCLA 66-10.

The bad news:

Arizona smoked Washington 52-17 and beat USC 39-36, both at home.

Conclusion:

Just like the Utes, the Wildcats are winless on the road this year. Unlike Utah, Arizona has beaten a couple of PAC 12 teams with winning records. Whether or not we have a chance to win or not will depend on which Arizona team shows up Saturday night in frigid RES.

• Stay the Course Salt Lake City, utah
    Nov. 12, 2012 8:22 a.m.

They need to win but they wont

• IRS Agent PROVO, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 8:22 a.m.

I'm sorry. I must be looking in the wrong place. I will go over and check the BYU articles.
    Carry on.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 8:34 a.m.

@ Max-was-right You beat me to it. I think the Utes will smoke Arizona, then lose to their new rival, Colorado. I can see it now.... (If you think I'm wrong, explain last year's loss to Colorado in SLC.)

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 8:52 a.m.

IRS Agent

You were probably expecting to find an article about Utah's latest win.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 9:27 a.m.

AZ will be mad about their losses and will beat U in SLC. Colorado might be able to stay competitive vs U as well. U got lucky beating BYU (if Hill had played instead of Nelson it would have been a U loss) and will need to play like they haven't all season just to hit .500

The offense is still the big problem and Hayes at QB is still hurting the team.

• rockute16 Rocklin, CA
    Nov. 12, 2012 9:38 a.m.

There is not a lack of talent on this team it is all about identity. By game 10 there should be a clear picture of an offensive identity and as of right now that does not exist. Last year we were clearly a running football team, every opponent knew what what the Utes were going to do, and they did it very well. The offense right now needs an overhaul. It seems like the weapons on offense are not being used. Kenneth Scott needs to be given more touches, Dres needs the ball more to take advantage of his athleticism, and Jake Murphy needs to get the ball. I love BJ, but it looks like he has no clear direction of what he wants to do.

• Utes22 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 9:50 a.m.

Dissapointing loss last week but great chance for a big win coming up on saturday. I think the Utes will win and get to 6-6 and hopefully get a bowl invite. Those extra practices and game will be huge for Travis Wilson.
    Go Utes!!!

• IRS Agent PROVO, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 10:16 a.m.

@ SWOOP,

No, I was actually looking for Chris B.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Nov. 12, 2012 10:25 a.m.

Not gonna happen. 30-14 AZ.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Nov. 12, 2012 10:35 a.m.

Thanks, Johnny Triumph. You seem to be really on top of the college football scene in Utah. I think you are just as correct about how BYU would have beaten Utah if Hill would have played as you are with your comment about how Jon Hayes is killing the Utes with his QB play of late. They ought to think of maybe replacing him and---I don't know---maybe giving the frosh kid a start or two. Still--you could probably answer that one better than anyone. Anyways--thanks for chiming in. You really seem to be on top of things.

• Down under Pullman, WA
    Nov. 12, 2012 11:31 a.m.

Mark it down Crissy B,
    You out there? Sure stinks to be Utah. Let's go go directly to Utah basketball. Oh, never mind.

• Fight On! St George, Utah
    Nov. 12, 2012 11:42 a.m.

Utah fans need to be more reasonable with their expectations. You took a huge jump to a much better conference and expected to be competitive immediately. I have said it all along, Utah will not be truly competitive in the PAC-12 until 2015-2017. Although you do have some talent at a few positions, the depth of talent is not there. You have a young and inexperienced coaching staff, who is being challenged and often exposed by unfamiliar schemes and better talent. This is what happens when you join and play in an elite conference. There is a long learning curve, and it takes time to recruit the depth of athletes needed to compete week in and week out. Be patient, give your coaches time to develop. Give your program time to get it's footing.

• aunt lucy Looneyville, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 1:14 p.m.

RE: Fight on

News flash: If you don't win you don't recruit quality players. No one wants to play for a loser and it's as simple as that. The hard part is the winning. That's why Arizona and Arizona St. have played for a total of one Rose Bowl in twenty years. Sure their booster clubs are telling their fans to be patient and let them get thier footing. With a huge Sugar Bowl win the Utes made a national statment. However, it appears the last two years have erased all the gain.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 3:38 p.m.

I think utah has good enough talent to be a mid tier pac 12 team. I didn't see a huge talenty gap between them and wahsington, or ucla, or asu, or any other pac12 team they have played other than usc. I think saying they lack the talent is a cop out. Other than usc and oregon no one in the pac 12 is appreciably better than TCU or BYU have been the last 8 years or so. utah competed just fine with BYU and TCU, utah fans falsely claim utah dominated but the fact they won all of one conference championship proves otherwise.

There is just no reason at all why utah cannot compete with everyone but usc and oregon right now. They should not be losing 34-15 to washington. They should not be getting pounded by asu in the manner that they did.

My personal opinion is that it is the fault of the coaching staff, it is not a good staff. Whittingham is fine as a head coach but has proven himself to be poor at choosing quality assistants. Being a control freak and running out good assistants doesn't help.

• D4inSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 4:10 p.m.

Duck, you may be right on that one. I was really disappointed in the game plan Sayurday.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 4:14 p.m.

It is tough to be good on offense with a freshman QB. Only Tex A&M has proven to be good with one. The Utes offensive line has not proven to block as well on the run as last year. Frankly, without pick 6's and kickoff returns for TD's, the Utes could be 3-7 or 2-8. But the biggest surprise to me has been the defense. They have give up a lot of points and a lot of yards. It was supposed to be a great defense, but has not turned out to be that way. That is a bigger surprise to me than the weak offense.

• ATiredDude Sandy, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 5:10 p.m.

Ok, where is the real Duckhunter and what have you done with him?

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 9:20 p.m.

Still Blue, only TAMU has been good with a freshman QB? Not Oregon, UCLA, Notre Dame, or Stanford? Interesting.

Duckhunter, yes Whit took a gamble on some staff hires, but I believe they were hires made for the future, not necessarily for right now. I agree, much of the starting talent at most positions on the team is up to par with the majority of the conference, but it's obvious that depth is an issue, and several positions seem to be among the worst in the conference. Johnson, Shah and Tuiaki, in particular, I strongly believe, were promoted and hired at the moment entirely based on their recruiting ability, with the hope and assumption that they would grow into the X's and O's aspects of their jobs, and so far, they are putting together another solid recruiting class, with a small possibility of being even stronger than last year with a few very high profile recruits strongly considering Utah right now.

• jbkhbrmz Saint George, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 10:36 p.m.

I think the game with Arizona will be competitive. Utah's defensive line is terrific. Arizona's offense is very good as well. Utah's offense is awful and Arizona's defense is abysmal. Should be an interesting match-up. The weather could really hamper Arizona who is not used to cold and wet conditions. That said I'm picking Zona 42-31. Utah will kill Colorado.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 11:07 p.m.

Utah needs to pull it together if they can have a chance to beat Arizona this Saturday. Arizona is a good team that has had some ups and downs for sure but their coach has turned that program around pretty fast. That being said the Utes have played better at home and AZhas struggled on the road so who knows what will happen in this one.

I hope Travis Wilson can shake the Washington game off and play better also if the ball hits your hands, the receivers need to hold onto it. There were so many dropped balls again against Washington that really could have made a big difference. I still can't believe the fumbled punt - fair catch that and we were at mid field.

For sure there have been games that Utah could have won this year and of course I wish our record was better, but if you would have told me that we would have had 3 different starting QB's, I'm not sure I would have greater expectations.

I'm still way happier to see Utah compete at this level and lose than see them rack up pointless victories over lousy teams.

Go Utes!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 8:05 a.m.

@qwest

"if you would have told me that we would have had 3 different starting QB's, I'm not sure I would have greater expectations"

You were told that was going to happen, you just didn't want to admit that it was probable. A lot of the problems utah has had were pointed out before the seaon started, but of course it was mostly BYU fans pointing it out so utah fans did not want to aknowledge it. It is similar the other way as well, utah fans point out BYU's possible weaknesses and BYU fans do not wish to aknowledge that it might be true either. It is simply an emotional reaction people have. For noe no one wants to hear possible negative things about their team, second of all they surely don't want to hear them from their rival. But interestingly it is that rival that is probably best suited to recognize those problems.

The rival is going to try to find the weaknesses to try and exploit them on these boards. It happens all of the time. But fans push back and don't want to aknowledge it. That is what happened this year.

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    Nov. 13, 2012 8:58 a.m.

Qwester

"...of course I wish our record was better, but if you would have told me that we would have had 3 different starting QB's, I'm not sure I would have greater expectations."

Any objective observer could have told you that having three different starting QB's was practically a given before the season started.

Everybody knew that injury-prone Wynn would be lucky to last through September and it was obvious that Hayes wasn't a long-term solution, so Wilson was all but guaranteed to be the starter at some point in the season.

The fact that BJ was bringing Travis in for situational plays from the very beginning of the season shows that the Utes were giving Wilson game experience early on in preparation for the likely possibility that he'd eventually be starting.

• Qwest Perfected Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 9:28 a.m.

@duck & fax

Yes every Utah fan was nervous about Jordan Wynn going into this season as they should have been since he has gone through many injuries. However many Utah fans were also encouraged that he had bulked up in addition to hitting the weight room. Wynn was throwing the ball much better than he had at any point during last season, which I realize still isn't saying too much.

I think most Utah fans also understood the issues with O-line but maybe not quite realizing that it would take them so long to get it figured out.

I don't mind any fan pointing out the obvious as we all have tendencies to do so. I guess what I'm saying is that the Utes are about 2 or 3 games short of where I was hoping they would be. I'm not sure if waiting two more games to start Wilson would have changed the outcome of either the UCLA or OSU games but hopefully that is a decision that will pay off next year for the Utes.

Go Utes!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 13, 2012 10:06 a.m.

• fender Washington, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 11:40 a.m.

You can't win at this level without good QB play and Utah doesn't have it. It's offensive scheme is hodge-podge and ineffective. That isn't gonna change against AZ, even though AZ's defense is pretty thin.

On the other hand, AZ has a first rate dual-threat athlete at QB, a top notch running back and a hurry up read option scheme that wears opponents down. Utah hasn't yet been exposed to this offense. Furthermore, AZ is coached by Rich Rodriguez, the guy who invented the read option, the same scheme Chip Kelly uses so effectively at Oregon.

In the two big losses to Oregon and UCLA, AZ's QB was injured and they don't have a credible backup. Unless he gets hurt against Utah or Utah gets a bunch of turnovers, AZ should win this.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 6:19 p.m.

Spokane Ute

"Every time I think Travis Wilson is getting better, he lays an egg. What a dissapointing season."

Impatient and desperate Ute fan... he's a freshman, what the heck do you expect?

Blame your coach, not the kid.

• cedarcityute cedar city, UT
    Nov. 14, 2012 9:08 a.m.

Unfortunately this is growing pains feels like. For those of you that don't like our quarterback, coaching staff, and whomever else you are crying about, move on! This is a great time to clean house of bandwagon fans. Unfortunately many of those fans got ahold of tickets, as you can see the stadium emptying out way too early whether we are losing or winning by alot. My point is, don't let the door hit you on the way out. I plan on sticking with my team no matter what. We need to support our Utes and stick with them through the good and bad times. That's all part of college football and it happens to every team.