U.S. & World

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 11:28 a.m.

Pew analysis: Mitt Romney pulls in fewer Mormon votes than Bush

=============

Ouch!

That's gotta hurt.

Clearly says something about the lack of Integrity.

• Joe Moe Logan, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 12:36 p.m.

Wow, and I was getting tired of people berating Mormons for their support for Romney just because he was LDS. Now the critics just look foolish and catty.

Interesting note: about 15% more blacks voted for Obama than did for Kerry (but of course no one criticizes that ACTUAL identity bias); but 2% less Mormons voted for Romney than did for Bush (and there was plenty of criticism running up to the election for that PERCEIVED identity bias).

Brings new insight into the art of identity politics.

• D4inSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 1:13 p.m.

Maybe it's simply because he changed positions so much, that folks (regardless of religious affiliation) couldn't figure out what he really stood for - except to pander to the far right. Joe, I agree on one thing - 2% ? = whatever.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Nov. 9, 2012 2:40 p.m.

I'm stunned quite frankly. If you said Ronald Regan in 1984 it might make sense because that was landslide victory, but Bush?

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 2:46 p.m.

Was I expected to vote for Mitt Romney because I am LDS?

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 4:11 p.m.

Good grief:

Here's what we know...

Romney--Mormon
    Romney--Republican
    Romney--Mormon Republican nominee for President
    Romney--Defeated in election already held.
    Election is over, Romney is a Mormon, now can we please get on with other news?

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Nov. 9, 2012 4:41 p.m.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 4:57 p.m.

Part of it is that Bush got something like 52% vs Kerry whereas Romney got 48% vs Obama. So that's basically where the difference comes from, a couple point drop across the board.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 5:12 p.m.

I think the more interesting thing is that Obama got 21% of the LDS vote vs 20% of the white evangelical vote.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 5:27 p.m.

DC wrote: "I know some Mormons who tried to find every reason possible to not vote for him simply because they didn't want to look like sheep."

Considering that we vote by secret ballot in this country, I doubt that was ever an issue. But if they didn't want to vote for Romney, they didn't have to look very hard. 47%.... the immigration rhetoric... fumbling around with foreign policy, pandering to the tea party... 2-3 positions on every issue... it made you wonder what happened to the guy who managed the SL Winter Olympics.

• Mad Hatter Provo, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 5:31 p.m.

As well as statistical efforts can be applied:

Romney received 78% of the Mormon vote

Romney received 74% of the Utah vote

Romney received 58% of the White vote (56:44 split men:women)

Romney received 56% of the over 65 vote

Romney received 54% of the those making more than $250K/year

Romney received 51% of college graduates BUT 42% of post-graduates

Romney received 43% of women over-all

Romney received 41% of the those making between $30-50K/year

Romney received only 40% of the 18-29 vote

Romney received only 27% of the Latino vote

Romney received only 24% of the Asian-American vote

Romney received only 6% of the African-American vote

72% of the electorate is identified as White. 28% of the electorate is considered non-White with demographics favoring the the later.

65% of the population is over the age of 40.

30% of the population makes over $100K/year (5% of the population make more that $250K/year)

only 59% of voters considered the economy as the major election issue

In addition to winning the White House, Democrats gained 2 seats in the Senate and 3 seats in the House.

• Ying Fah Provo, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 5:52 p.m.

In a cultural subgroup where adherence to authority is supreme, how is it that so many Mormons did not follow the expected path? Wherever Mormons gathered, the pressure to support Mitt Romney was evident, and anyone who refused to differ was soundly criticized. This expectation may not have come from high up in the LDS hierarchy, but the implied expectation was 100% support for Romney for all Mormons. It is certain that at some level word was put out to conform and vote for "one of us".

They day when automatic support for Republican candidates falls significantly below 70-75% will be a day when the conforming mindset is challenged. The fact that 78% of Mormons voted for Romney is not too different that the fact that Utah often votes greater than 70% for any Republican candidate.

However, since voting is secret and no one really knows how another person votes, breaking with established tradition is available to anyone choosing to do so. It's not like having to voice one's choice in public where everyone else can assault you for your decision. Does anyone ever dare say "Nay" in a sustaining vote at LDS church gatherings?

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Nov. 9, 2012 10:48 p.m.

It wasn't the man, nor his religion, it was the philosophy of and the image of being in it to help the rich... who don't need help. They are doing just fine.

When asked what Romney thought about NASCAR, he responded he knew a few owners... not which drivers or tracks he liked. A simple example of how Romney had a hard time being relatable. But in the end, it was his message that was rejected, not the man.

I would be happy to have him be in my ward, even a leader in my ward, or even my boss... just not the leader of a very divers nation.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 6:17 a.m.

I'm one of the 2/10 and I'm just glad Romney lost. His politics were a fiscal return to Bush and a social return to Leave it to Beaver.

I know fellow LDS who voted for Romney because they thought it would be good "to have the priesthood in the Whitehouse". Don't fool yourselves, far too many LDS voted for Romney for no other reason than his religion.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 7:42 a.m.

I certainly was not a Romney supporter, but I have a question.

Exactly HOW were these numbers developed? And following that, how can we be sure they are accurate?

• Wonder Provo, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 12:17 p.m.

I don't know that I'm surprised or not. I think people vote based on their political philosophy more than on their religion or race. Just as no Republican LDS folk would vote for Harry Reid and no black Democrat would vote for Herman Cain, I didn't vote for Romney even though I'm the same religion and race. I voted for Obama because I agree with his philosophy of how the country should be run. Apparently there are about 20% of LDS people who are D or independents who lean D.

• Joe Moe Logan, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 12:32 p.m.

@one old man

It says here it was an exit poll. So as I understand it that means that asked people as they were leaving who they voted for, etc. It's a statistical sampling like all such polls, with a mathematical and practical margin of error. You can only be sure they are accurate if you analyze the methodology and data, which literally would take at least a masters degree in statistics to have a good shot at doing. But Pew is well-known and you can reasonably believe their results and that they kept the margin of error under about 5%, a norm for such polls.

• SoCalChris Riverside, CA
    Nov. 10, 2012 2:21 p.m.

My guess is immigration played a big part of it. There are many members of the Church for whom the issue is of utmost concern and many were likely frightened by Romney's hard line rhetoric in the primaries.

It's a huge issue for me but pulling the country out of a downward spiral was more important.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Nov. 10, 2012 2:58 p.m.

SoCalChris - I mostly agree with ya. Not only is the nation becoming more diverse, so is the church. When I moved to Durham 10 years ago we had 2 adult wards and 1 student ward. We now have 4 adult wards, the student ward and and Spanish unit as well. Not seismic changes, but changes none the less.

• SoCalChris Riverside, CA
    Nov. 10, 2012 3:33 p.m.

UtahBlueDevil, You're absolutely right. But regardless of the diversity in the church and the country in general, the GOP has to return to being the cheerful optimistic party of Reagan. My complaint about Romney has always been his tendency to pander even though I believe he would make a good president.

I've been saying the GOP has to tone it down on immigration since talking head started getting shrill on it around '05. I'm hoping this will be a wake-up call. Anyway I believe many church members are moderate like me and that's my theory why there would be slightly fewer voting for Romney than for Bush.

• Joe Moe Logan, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 4:10 p.m.

SoCalChrist,

Your last comment (3:33 p.m.) is dead on, on every point.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 5:25 p.m.

Latter-day Saints examined Romney's words and actions and found them not in acccordance with the Church's advocacy for dealing fairly and honestly with others. Consequently they either voted for someone else, or just didn't vote at all. Romney himself, by his words an actions, caused the lower LDS vote for him. Sad.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Nov. 10, 2012 9:40 p.m.

Ying Fah,

Of course I know lots who did support him. But not all.

There was no expected path. No word was put out. At least not that I saw.

And yes, some do publicly oppose folks proposed for certain callings. Not often, but I have seen it happen.

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 9:44 p.m.

I am also one of the moderate 20% who could not in good conscience cast a vote for Mitt Romney. Until the GOP ditches the Tea Party nonsense, they will continue to lose voters. Mitt was actually a decent governor. It's too bad he moved his positions so far to the right in the last six years. The right wing radical takeover has ruined the Republican Party's reputation.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Nov. 11, 2012 3:40 a.m.

The election is over. Romney lost so let's move on. Whatever's ahead, we deserve it.

• TruetoBlue logan, UT
    Nov. 11, 2012 8:54 a.m.

Bad news for Romney

• Just the Facts, Mam! Meridian, ID
    Nov. 11, 2012 9:41 a.m.

This is an interesting stat. It really just tells me that most Mormons really are just like the majority of the American electorate. Which is sad. They follow the mainstream media like sheep. A look at the facts of Obama's first term would have told any thinking person that he is not the right one to lead the US. Some commented on Romney's short list of errors that were blown out of proportion by the media. Let's look at Obama's short list...not funding the distribution of absentee ballots for armed forces services men/women, higher everything $, food, gas, taxes etc, higher actual unemployment, higher debt, oh, and lest we forget Benghazi, as the media tried to hide it from us as soon as it came out. Romney is a decent honorable man. Not perfect, but definitely better than socialist, lying, guilt by association (Frank Marshall Davis?) Obama. I fear for our Country. I am sickened by the media's doting on our current president. They are not doing their job, not asking the tough questions, so we Americans must! The truth will set us free.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 6:54 a.m.

All this suggests is that LDS people are not mindless followers. But we know that can't possibly be so... because we've been told we are.

• conspiracygirl FPO, AE
    Jan. 28, 2013 3:06 p.m.

There is no mention here of the LDS libertarian vote that went to Gary Johnson and uncounted write-in candidates. Plus, many LDS Republicans were so disgusted by the GOP and Dems during the last election that they stayed home..