Opinion

Letter: President Obama is not evil or all-powerful, he is a good man

Comments

• Wonder Provo, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 12:22 a.m.

These children are repeating what they've heard their parents say. Sad.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 12:31 a.m.

Kids merely repeat what they hear their parents say.

Parents, are you aware of this?

When we take the sacrament on Sunday, can we do so with a pure heart and clean hands when we've been saying such awful things about our fellow brother who is living in the white house?

• DougS Oakley, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 6:58 a.m.

No matter how well intentioned Obama may be, he has brought this country to near ruin with his spending and his attacks on the Constitution. I, too, try to be respectful of others - until they attack me, my children, or grandchildren's freedoms that are "God" given.

• Curmudgeon Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 7:06 a.m.

Not too surprising in a state where schools won't even air a message from the President encouraging kids to get an education.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Nov. 8, 2012 7:32 a.m.

Good counsel. Thank you.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 8, 2012 7:37 a.m.

Is it proper to tell children lies? When the President makes a mistake, do we ignore that mistake? When he tells us that a video was the cause of an Ambassador being killed, do we tell our children that a video was the cause or do we tell our children that the President made a terrible mistake and that because of that mistake four people died? Do we tell the truth or do we lie, just to make the President look good.

Calling anyone a pig is wrong, but covering up mistakes is equally wrong. Children who believe that the President is infallible are being taught the wrong lesson.

It is the duty of every parent to be truthful and accurate in his own home. It is the duty of every parent to report the truth, even if the President lies or the media covers up his mistakes.

• Darrel Eagle Mountain, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 7:41 a.m.

I think this nation needs more parents like you. Disagreement in politics should not lead us to demonizing another person on a personal, human level. As much as I disagreed with the policies of the past President, I did not believe him an evil man trying to destroy the nation, but as someone who had a different idea of what was best for the country.

• KJB1 Eugene, OR
    Nov. 8, 2012 7:48 a.m.

Wow, a rational and level-headed letter that doesn't assume that President Obama is the source of all evil on Earth. I'm impressed, DN.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 8:10 a.m.

An excellent letter with good sense in it. Thank you.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Nov. 8, 2012 8:16 a.m.

Mike Richards,

I agree with you here.

We should definitely not be telling our children lies. We absolutely should point our our disagreements (and points of agreement) with the president and his or her policies. And we can express deep disappointment over failed policies.

But all of this is a far cry from some of the histrionics that kids have been subjected to with this president which, I think, is the author's point.

We should be teaching our children rational political analysis. Something that is in terribly short supply these days.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 8:50 a.m.

I know I try to teach my children that they can disagree with someone without calling them names and making wild accusations against them. I will never understand the parent who thinks it's proper to do otherwise.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 8, 2012 9:08 a.m.

@ DougS: How has Obama attacked the Constitution and what rights of yours has he taken away?

• J Thompson SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 9:21 a.m.

Let's be a little more honest. Let's compare statements made about President Bush to statements being made about President Obama. To ignore the "trash-talk" about Bush is to ignore that people have spoken negatively about both Presidents.

Anyone who calls anyone a "name" should be ashamed of his bigoted behavior; but ignoring the truth so that a President is portrayed as a saint is just as wrong.

The people have the obligation to control the government. We hold all power. It is our government. Those who have been elected work for us. We have the obligation to hold them to the oath that they take when they accept that "temp job" which we entrusted them to handle for us. Malfeasance and nonfeasance are not acceptable in a President. When a President does not do the job that he was elected to do, it is our duty to point that out. Those who excuse a President for wrong-doing or non-doing have abdicated their responsibility as citizens.

• Samuel the Liberalite Farmington, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 9:26 a.m.

These kids are parroting what they hear at HOME.
    I can only imagine as adults what they will be teaching THEIR children.

If this doesn't stop,
    We will see more Timothy McVies, and other Domestic terrorists -- perhaps the Civil Wars we've been warned about...

Just like the Nephites,
    this is the sort of vile hatred and "false tradtitions" being taught by their Fathers -
    which will destroy this once delightsome people.

NO Latter-Day Saint home shuld be indoctrinating these little ones with such lies.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 9:44 a.m.

But this will usher in the 2nd coming so much faster (many facebook comments), evidently God is an American and a Republican.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 10:25 a.m.

And what did we hear across the nation about Mitt Romney and all the trash talk about him. Liberals are great at defending their president, Obama is who he is. We hear about the protest in Mississippi against Obama as being bad, but not one word of condemnation of the OWS movement and their profane violent acts and promises to violently act, liberal politicians gave them all kinds of support. Do you think your children were not aware of their violent promises. Did you talk in your homes how Romney wanted to tell women what they could or couldn't do. That he was a liar. How conservatives are racist, women haters, wanting to kill old people. Did your children not hear you as you talked about your disgust for conservatives. Liberals and free speech certainly do not go together, to the point they expect their opposition to censor their speech in public and in the home. I really do not like Obama's policies, and I hope my children and grand children understand that and hear that. But calling him a pig is really low, just because he is self indulgent and narsisstic.

• Noodlekaboodle Millcreek, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 10:29 a.m.

@Mike
    A couple of things here. First, if you have kids, how old are they? Because I have a 4 year old, and I have a couple of 6 year old niece and nephews. Sorry, you don't need to tell them about the murder of an ambassador in Libya, they won't understand and your just scaring them, if you have a 14,15,16 year old or adult children it's an entirely different matter. An elementary age kid just doesn't need to hear about the problems of the world yet. They will have plenty of time to realize how crappy life can be when they are older. Second, the comments about Obama in this letter aren't fact. There is no way Obama is enslaving white people, he's not all powerful(no president is) and there is no indication he will start WWIII. If you want to talk to your teenage child about FACTS that is one thing. It's another entirely to scare little kids with boogeyman stories about the president.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 11:03 a.m.

Noodlekaboodle, you are naive, the Obama administration has deemed, sex ed is needed in kindergarten, those four and six year olds sit endless hours in front of the boob tube. They are getting told whats going on in the world. "you don't need to tell them about the murder of an ambassador in Libya, they won't understand and your just scaring them" Your right they will not hear about the murder in Benghazi cause the liberal media will not report it. But they watch news breaks and lead ins all day long about Syrian jets bombing civilians, hundreds of suicide bombers killing thousands across the middle east with pictures and footage. They watch the aftermath of hurricane Sandy, you don't think they are already scared? I remember as a six year old the Cuban Missile Crisis, how the fear of the deadly mushroom could appear at any time. You better be explaining what they see and reassuring them of their safety.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 12:23 p.m.

@mike/j
    it is not right to tell children lies but obviously this is exactly what is happening with these children that are coming to school and spreading this misinformation. Where does it come from? One need not look any further then these threads and your own post Mike.

• Mad Hatter Provo, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 12:42 p.m.

Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah

The election's over. You need to find other ways to attack Obamae. It's obvious when you repeat ad naseum a litany of Fox News/Republican talking points to express your distain from Barack Obama. You'd probably say the same about me since I don't agree with anything you say. That's just the way it is.

But I'd still come and help you if you needed it. Rigid ideology doesn't guide my belief in people and my desire to see my president succeed. Romney's concession speech was magnificent. I only wish those who supported him (even the nuts on the fringe) would take heed of his words and commit to make America continue as the greatest nation on earth.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 1:17 p.m.

Tolstoy, you do realize you are basing your position on the hearsay of a mother of elementary children reporting on hearsay. We don't know if any misinformation was spread. And Mad Hatter, how do you want to overcome your rigid ideology when you tell people who supported Romney they are nuts on the fringe. Your rigid ideology does guide your belief in people. You expect the opposition to your party to cave for the duration. Obama didn't change overnight because he was re-elected, he is still the same with the same plan he had for the last four years.

• KJB1 Eugene, OR
    Nov. 8, 2012 1:27 p.m.

Yes, Mike, keep clinging to Benghazi if that makes you feel better. The reason the mainstream media is "ignoring" it is because they have better things to do than chase after right-wing conspiracy theories with no real evidence to back them up.

I survived two terms of George W. Bush with my love for America intact. I think you'll be able to manage four more years of Barack Obama.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 8, 2012 1:30 p.m.

Okay guys, time for name calling is over. Time for blaming the messenger is over. Time for blaming Bush is over. It's time to take full responsibility for Obama's failure in his first term. You can point fingers at Rush or Hanity or even at me, but it is Obama who sits on the throne. It is Obama's presidency. Forget the mudslinging. Forget the diversions. We're going to hold you responsible for your defense of Obama and we're going to hold Obama resposible for his failure to solve problems.

The people have spoken. They elected a conservative house. The House controls the budget. The days when Obama emptied the treasury to pay off his friends are past.

Nobody has to call Obama names, but no one, including you guys will keep us from telling the truth about Obama. He is not God, and of he were God, he would not do the things he has done.

• Noodlekaboodle Millcreek, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 1:43 p.m.

No, my child doesn't sit in front of the tv for hours on end. Because I parent my child. My child and I go and run around at the park, or play a board game or do homework. I don't let my kid watch the news yet, because the news is one of the most disturbing, violent programs on television. When they are this young you can still control their media viewing habits, and because i'm a parent and not my kids friend that is exactly what I do. My 4 year old doesn't know a single things about politics because it's not a discussion his mother and I have around them. My son is four, and just doesn't need to worry about this stuff yet, and if your toddlers and pre schoolers are watching that kind of garbage I wonder about your skills as a parent.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 1:45 p.m.

"Two Iranian Su-25 fighter jets fired on an unarmed U.S. Air Force Predator drone in the Persian Gulf last week, CNN has learned. The incident raises fresh concerns within the Obama administration about Iranian military aggression in crucial Gulf oil shipping lanes.
    The drone was in international airspace east of Kuwait, U.S. officials said, adding it was engaged in routine maritime surveillance." Yeah Obama is really open and aware. This information was withheld from the press and the American People by the Obama administration when it happened one day before the election.

• jjjdsd CENTERVILLE, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 1:57 p.m.

So what your are saying is you do not ever turn the tv on in your home? It is not the news program they are exposed to. It is the advertising and teasers played all day. Your wife and you do not watch any tv when your child is in the room? I know that my sister raised her children with out tv, they never had one while the children grew up. But you did say you have a tv. So because you can not guarantee your child has not been exposed or seen the leads, you attack my character.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 2:08 p.m.

Face it, some parents will try to brainwash their children just as their parents did to them.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 2:35 p.m.

@jsf
    your right that would be a concern if that where my only source of information. I also base it off what my 14 year old daughter tells me when she comes home from school and I am sorry but I trust her to be honest far more then I trust you or mike to do so since you have both proven to be less then reliable sources for the truth in the past.

@mike/j

way to ignore he comments actually being made to you mike. you do realize that these attempts at deflection and misdirection only weaken your argument right?

• George Bronx, NY
    Nov. 8, 2012 2:41 p.m.

@jsf
    it is pretty clear reading back over the threads of even just the past two days that adults are clearly using the same type of language to talk about our president that these kids are hearing at school. one need look no further then the DN to verify the validity of the letter.

• jjjdsd CENTERVILLE, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 3:19 p.m.

Humor me ask your 14 year old daughter what she honestly thinks about Bush and Romney, and then report it here.

• J Thompson SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 3:25 p.m.

Why do so many liberals attack the messenger instead of defending the actions of "their man". Mike Richards is not on trial and neither am I. As far as I know, neither of us has been entrusted by the citizens to do the duties assigned to them by the Constitution, yet liberals whine and moan because Mike Richards and I continue to report the FACTS about Obama.

Obama may be a good man, but ge is a failed President. Four more years will only increase his failure. He learned nothing during his first term. His second term will shown the world that he is completely incompetent.

No matter how the left tries to deflect the truth, the truth will come out, then the left will have to acknowledge that they supported a man who was unprepared and unqualifed to serve.

Name calling doesn't help. Attacking the messenger does't help. Deflecting attention doesn't help.

Truth will prevail and truth is something that Obama avoids.

• George Bronx, NY
    Nov. 8, 2012 3:41 p.m.

funny how the aggressors spreading lies not only on these threads but to our children want to play the victim. When someone spreads lies and misinformation about the president they should not really be shocked when others do not respond kindly to such comments.

• L White Springville, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 4:16 p.m.

Agressors telling lies? What does that mean? Do the lies told to America for two weeks about the death of our ambassador mean that Obama is an "aggressor"?

No lying about truth will ever stand. It doesn't matter how many people tell the lie, it is still a lie.

Are we to tell our children lies to protect an incompetent president? I hope not. The best thing that can ever happen to Obama is to be know as he is known. The best thing that can ever happen to him is to have all people he has ever associated with know. The best thing that can happen is for all of his activities to be known.

Honest people don't hide from anything. If he has nothing to hide, he would invite a full investigation.

Nobody has to call him names; they just have to tell the truth.

• Noodlekaboodle Millcreek, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 4:25 p.m.

@jsf or jjjdsd or whoever the heck you are (BTW I think the rules don't allow you to post under multiple accounts, but whatever)
    My girlfriend and I have a TV in our room. However our child isn't allowed to hang out in our room, that is the one space in the house that is ours. But I know my girlfriend and I don't let him watch TV, his grandmas don't let him watch TV and he's four, so it's not like he sneaks TV when we aren't home.(Ya I don't leave a 4 year old at home alone, crazy right?) We don't have a TV in the living room and our PC has a password so he can only get on the internet if he is being monitored. Also, remember our child is four, as he gets older I realize that the amount of control we have over his life and choices will decrease. But for now, I chose to not expose that part of life to him yet. Sorry your so angry I actually try and care for my child and only expose them to age appropriate topics.

• George Bronx, NY
    Nov. 8, 2012 4:32 p.m.

@L white
    no lying about truth will stand? then why do you keep reporting the same old lie about what the president said about ambassadors death? the transcripts from 9/12 in the rose garden and the next day in denver and again in Nevada clearly speak truth to your continued lies.

• L White Springville, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 4:55 p.m.

George,

The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the the truth is not something from Perry Mason, it is the foundation of what makes America, America.

Obama hid the whole truth from us. He let us believe that a video caused the death of our Ambassador. The did not stand, before America and tell us that terrorists had killed our Ambassador. He pretended that terorism had been defeated. He knew better.

Nobody can take away his calculated lie. Not you. Not Hillary. Not Obama.

That's what our childred need to hear. He watched our embassy being attacked for seven hours and he did nothing. Our Commander in Chief did nothing to help Americans who were under attack.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 6:01 p.m.

@Mike Richards. If it is fair to blame Obama for what happened to the four people that were killed. Then it is fair to blame bush for the lost of 3000 Americans in New York. If you are talking about republicans protecting the constitution then I guess the patriot act was a great idea.

• George Bronx, NY
    Nov. 8, 2012 6:05 p.m.

@L white
    the only calculated leis are the ones you continue to tell. the president was very clear and has never said the terrorist had been defeated. It amazes me the way some people that used to claim such high moral ground because of their religious beliefs have completely abandoned all the tenants of their own church as they blatantly bare false witness against othersw with impunity .

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 6:25 p.m.

it is amazing how some people that claim they have some corner on morality based on their religion so freely show disdain for their own beliefs. Since when is baring false witness an acceptable Christian practice.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 6:30 p.m.

I am still waiting for the left to present their evidence or case that the children are wrong.

I have read are personal attacks attacks against the messenger, against the right or conservative commentators.

All I have read are judgmental, arrogant, hypocritical statements by the left believing they are somehow above it all. Statements that show they look down on everyone else who doesn't believe as they do.

All I have seen is the left putting their heads in the sand and their fingers in their ears, and refusing to see or hear anything bad about their messianic Marxist president.

An yet they have not proven the children wrong.

I guess the scriptures are right. "Out of the mouth of babes..."

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 7:09 p.m.

L White
    Springville, UT
    George,

============

L White ---

I only have ONE thing to people like you who contantly accuse Obama of lying about Benghazi:

Weapons of Mass Destruction.

Iraq
    12 years
    8,000 Dead Americans
    $2 Trillion debt

Now --
    Show me how that EVEN comes close to being the same.

• wrz Ogden, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 7:26 p.m.

@Kalindra:

"How has Obama attacked the Constitution...?"

For one thing... he has given some illegal immigrants amnesty, which is against federal law and thus, is a felonious act. This even though he swore in his inauguration oath to uphold the Constitution and see that the laws of the land are faithfully executed.

• Twin Lights Louisville, KY
    Nov. 8, 2012 8:16 p.m.

wrz,

Didn't Ronald Reagan give amnesty to about 3 million illegal aliens? Far more than Obama, true? Were his actions felonious?

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Nov. 8, 2012 8:52 p.m.

Why yes, Twin. I believe that you are correct.

Reagan gave amnesty to about 3 MILLION illegal aliens. I am guessing that for wrz, that is different.

Reagan also had tax rates SIGNIFICANTLY higher than that of Obama. Yet, all we here is about how high taxes are under Obama.

Reagan would have been run out of today's GOP very quickly.

• WestGranger West Valley City, Utah
    Nov. 8, 2012 8:55 p.m.

No one man is more important than the future of our nation. No matter how smart or welling he or, she may be. Somebody needs to live in reality and hold Obama accountable for his misdeeds and nasty campaign. What happened in Benghazi and his blatant lies and gross failure to protect Americans has been verified and is very well documented but has been ignored. Ignoring it will just encourage future democratic candidates to repeat the same mistakes and use the same underhanded tactics.

• WestGranger West Valley City, Utah
    Nov. 8, 2012 8:58 p.m.

The fact is that Obama has spent our taxes. He is spending the taxes of our children and they have a right to know. They are the ones who will be left with out $16 trillion debt, that likely will increase even more.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 8, 2012 9:30 p.m.

@ wrz: Current law allows for exceptions to be made to deportations of illegal immigrants. Those exceptions are usually on a case-by-case basis, but that is not required under the law.

You may not like what he did, but that does not change the fact that President Obama did not violate the law, nor did he violate the Constitution - which is why no one has sued him over it and there has been no move to impeach him over it.

@ WestGranger: The facts about Benghazi have been reported by the media. Just because reality doesn't match the conspiracy theories does not mean reality it wrong.

And every President spends taxes - that is kind of the purpose of paying the taxes. As for the deficit - that existed long before Obama was elected and will continue to exist no matter who is elected. And I know everyone is tired of Bush being blamed for his tax cuts, and you are right - Obama should have done away with them sooner, but he didn't and we need to not whine when he does away with them now.

• Phranc SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 9:31 p.m.

@the truth

So what evidence do you have he wants to start world war three. We do know that he has worked to end two wars he did not start and to rebuild our broken allies relations. What evidence do you have he is evil? How do you even begin to quantify a term like evil to prove or disprove it since it is a purely visceral response. Certainly you do not need evidence that he is fact not a farm animal right? if so i would refer you to any of the many photos of him over the last few days.
    On the other hand we have video evidence of to disprove the lies being spread by the far right posters on this thread so once again if you spread lies about others and degrade them the way some posters have on this thread and at this child's school you are not a victim you are the aggressor.

• spring street SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 9:58 p.m.

@westgranger
    verified and well documented? really please present that evidence because so far all we have seen is a lot of hyperbole

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Nov. 8, 2012 10:27 p.m.

President Obama is a good and decent man, not unlike Mitt Romney. He loves his children, and his wife. He loves the united states, and has a vision for the country. However, he also respects the fact that his time is limited as President, and, should we reject his vision, we will have the opportunity to do so again in four years. All is not wrong with the nation, and we shall move ahead.

• wrz Ogden, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 12:07 a.m.

@Kalindra:

"Current law allows for exceptions to be made to deportations of illegal immigrants."

That's not how I read the law(s) (8 USC 1324, 1325, et. al.).

Obama's decision is not just a breach of faith with the American people. It blatantly ignores the rule of law.

In an interview with Uni-vision television earlier this year, President Obama said he can't just 'waive away the laws that Congress put in place' and that 'the president doesn't have the authority to simply ignore Congress and say, 'We're not going to enforce the laws that you've passed.'"

If you have references to the contrary, please provide.

If you're referring to 'Prosecutorial Discretion' it only applies to cases awaiting prosecution... not to the granting of amnesty.

"...which is why no one has sued him over it and there has been no move to impeach him over it."

No one has sued or moved to impeach because Democrats control the Senate.

Re Reagan's Amnesty --- It was authorized under the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (Simpson-Mazzoli Bill) and applied to illegals entering before 1986. So he did NOT commit a felony.

• Red Headed Stranger Billy Bobs, TX
    Nov. 9, 2012 8:01 a.m.

Kids here in Texas were telling my son that if Romney were elected that he would enslave black people.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 10:39 a.m.

wrz
    Ogden, UT
    12:07 a.m. Nov. 9, 2012

===================

President Obama is 100% Constitutionally correct --

So then,

Unless he did so un-Constitutionally ---
    and here I thought only Conservatives sustained and supported the Constitution?

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 9, 2012 11:22 a.m.

@ wrz: When talking about deportation (or "removal" as it is usually called), the code states "may" - not "will" or "shall" but "may." Obama did not say that young illegal immigrants would never be deported, nor did he give them an automatic (or even clear) path to citizenship. He called for a two year postponement on their deportation, giving them - individually - the opportunity to make the case for staying and allowing them work permits.

Exactly which part of immigration law did he violate? (Hint: none of it.)

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    Nov. 9, 2012 12:23 p.m.

To "LDS Liberal" On WMDs in Iraq. Here is a list of articles listing all of the WMDs that were found in Iraq.

“Troops 'foil Iraq nerve gas bid'” July 2, 2004
    “US did find Iraq WMD” NY Post October 25, 2004
    “Iraqi Nerve Gas, WMD Find Blows Away Pundits” NewsMax, May 17, 2004
    “WikiLeaks Show WMD Hunt Continued in Iraq – With Surprising Results” Wired October 23, 2010
    “Iraq mortar shells contain blister agent” USA Today January 11, 2004
    “Bomb said to hold deadly sarin gas explodes in Iraq” MSNBC May 17, 2004
    “Sarin, Mustard Gas Discovered Separately in Iraq” Fox New May 17, 2004
    “Warheads with mustard, sarin gas found by Polish troops in Iraq: Rumsfeld” Spacewar July 1, 2004
    “Hundreds of WMDs discovered in Iraq” WorldNetDaily June 21, 2006

To "Kalindra" read the articles about how Obama changed the way they count deportations. They changed it so that his numbers look better.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 9, 2012 1:34 p.m.

@ Redshirt: Assuming you can back up your claim, what does that have to with violating the law or the Constitution?

• Wonder Provo, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 3:10 p.m.

@Redshirt -- So was Obama pandering to Hispanics or was he faking like he was deporting them like crazy? First you righties say one thing and then you say the other. Crazy!

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 3:51 p.m.

To "Kalindra" since you are incapable of doing a google search, here is how it works.

See the Washington Times article "Obama puts illegals ahead of Americans" where they list that under a program started in 2011 Obama now counts illegal immigrants that were caught by boarder patrol agents and escorted back to Mexico.

The reason why the border is so important is because we have terrorists crossing. See "Feds Issue Terror Watch for the Texas/Mexico Border" where muslim-extreamist terrorists have been found trying to cross into the US.

Now, here is where the Democrats, including Obama are violating the law. Congress has the duty to "To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions". Wouldn't you call allowing terrorists and non-citizens such easy access to the US an invasion?

The President is the one in charge of the military and is charged with ensuring that the laws are obeyed. Shouldn't we be worried when terrorists can cross our southern border and enter the US?

• wrz Ogden, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 5:49 p.m.

@Phranc:

"So what evidence do you have he wants to start world war three."

Obama won't start WW III. Why should he? If he did it would likely be against his own people, the Muslims of the Mideast. That's were the terrorists reside. That's where the conflict is, and where it would likely be for WW III (ever heard of Armageddon). As a matter of fact, he's trying to help them as we speak, by (just announced) shutting down oil drilling in our West in a move to insure our oil dollars go to his friends in the Mideast rather than staying here at home.

@LDS Liberal:

"NOW do you realize that the mythical Pres. Romney could have NEVER repealed the ACA [Obamacare] as he promised he could?"

That's true.

Romney, if elected, would have followed what Obama has already done... He gave 'waivers' to a select few states. Romney would have given waivers to all 57 states. Then when elected, get Congress to do the repealing. That's what politicians do when they say they will do something... They mean they will try to prevail upon the Congress to pass the requisite laws.

• Phranc SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 9, 2012 9:22 p.m.

@wrz
    no conspiracy theory there just facts right?

• jzorider salt lake city, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 9:51 a.m.

I heard and believed much worse when I was young and Bill Clinton was president. He was evil, he was leading our country to moral ruin, he was the devil, etc. Of course, like always, the indoctrination from my elders could only last so long, and when I started seeing him for what he really was (a morally flawed man, like many people, but with good intent in non-marital matters) I started questioning EVERYTHING those same people had said to me, including their religion. I had some resentment towards my parents for trying to indoctrinate me, but ultimately I'm thankful. When I see the rest of my family dwelling in the gloom-and-doom self-misery of right-wing land, and blaming all of their personal problems on the president (and therefore not fixing them themselves), and carrying a half-empty viewpoint on the world, choosing only to see the misery and pain and ignoring everything that gives us pleasure, I feel pretty happy that their indoctrination attempts backfired.

• Howard Beal Provo, UT
    Nov. 10, 2012 10:30 a.m.

Again, as I did on another article, give this post to my beloved brother and sisters, like Mike Richards I'm guessing. Listen to the counsel of your leaders. If you don't know what that is, go to the church's website and read the official position of the leadership of the church you claim to follow. Then soften your hearts and live the gospel. The vitriol of many in the church that supported Governor Romney over the President is NOT in line with the teachings and principles as guided by the church's leaders. End of story. Either believe in the church or stay at home, have your children stay at home so other children don't have to listen to this vitriol at least while going to church.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Nov. 10, 2012 11:16 a.m.

Thank you for this letter. The right is very angry and hurt right now, but this shows that there is room to hope as we move forward.

To paraphrase LBJ----"If you can convince the lowliest white man that he is better than the most successful black man, he will not only love you, he will let you pick his pocket." I would add that he will also let you make all of his decisions for him and agree to fight a civil war in your behalf. If this election revealed anything other than the fact that the politics of fear and hate will only take you so far---it showed that those who take their view from far right wing media will not be swayed. Well, so be it. See you in four years! I expect that you will be more shrill, angrier and more important--even smaller and less attractive to minorities, young people and women.

• Tom Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 12, 2012 1:14 p.m.

good leter. I hope we can come together as a country to work on some of the most important issues facing us and that we can pray for the President and our other elected officials,.

• Mike in Sandy Sandy, UT
    Nov. 13, 2012 7:47 a.m.

Sounds like kids of narrow-minded, tunnel-visioned parents.

• Clydesdale Tooele, UT
    Nov. 15, 2012 9:04 a.m.

Yesterday, two of my children came home scared that Hitler would either start World War III or enslave Jewish people. They had been told by various schoolmates that the furor is evil, a pig, etc.

For the sake of my little kids who have big ears, I'm repeating to them that though I disagree with some of his ideas, Hitler is a good, smart father and husband who wants to help people in the ways he believes are right. I tell them he is not wicked and he is not all-powerful.

No matter who leads the country, our family's job is to keep working, budgeting, making good decisions and being respectful of others.

I want my kids to feel safe and hopeful. Making disparaging, accusatory and fearful comments about the president — or those who elected him — doesn't help them.

Signed, almost all of the German parents under Hitlers rule