5A football playoffs: Syracuse posts bittersweet win over Alta, lose starting quarterback

Comments

• just-a-fan Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 12:25 a.m.

Get better young man.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 3, 2012 3:36 a.m.

Sad.

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 8:07 a.m.

Syracuse was a great host, classy players and fans and it was a great atmosphere. Alta's offense was outstanding, but it's nearly impossible to win in the playoffs when you don't hang onto the ball. Four turnovers were the difference.
    I think in all the years I've watched Alta play this was the best group of receivers ever. Likely all four will play D1 ball. The seniors, Handley at Utah, Barker at UCLA, and the two juniors Mack Richards and Logan Harrison already have schools recruiting them heavily. Lucero had an awesome season, 3500 yards and 35 td's. Those three juniors, along with Trevor Hill will be a great base for next season.
    Good luck to Brock Anderson, tough break but was a big reason Syracuse won last night.

• Football Fan Syracuse, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 9:31 a.m.

Game was over in the first quarter and mostly due to Alta not being ready to play in the State Quarter Finals. Seemed to take till the second quarter for Alta to realize they were playing a football game. The first two fumbles Syracuse did not even have to touch the ball carrier, Alta just put the ball on the ground. Also two of the fumbles from their star receivers. I thought Alta's tougher schedule was suppose to prepare them for this game? Did not look like they were ready to me. Rest of the way it was a good game and both teams were able to move the ball and score points, however, the game was decided in the first six minutes.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 10:07 a.m.

Terrible injury for Anderson, I wish you a successful recovery.

I have to agree with Football Fan a bit, several people talked about Alta's schedule this past week calling Syracuse overrated. I said if Alta came into Syracuse thinking the same thing they would get smacked in the mouth, and in the first half that is exactly what happened. Yes, I know Alta contributed to some of their own demise with the early turnovers. Both teams have exceptional athletes, and I wish them all luck in their futures. I don't know about next week though. With Anderson out I am not sure 'Cuse can hang with Bingham. But in defense of Syracuse, they do play exceptional team football and that just may give them hope. Good Luck next week 'Cuse, yo udeserve to be where you are at. And congrats to you Alta boys, you had an amazing season and I am sure there is still much ahead for all the athletes.

• Prep Fanatic Los Angeles, CA
    Nov. 3, 2012 11:41 a.m.

Sad way to end a very good year for the Alta Hawks. Alta was the better team for the final 3 quarters of play. Had Alta not handed, and yes, I mean handed, Syracuse 17pts in the first 6 minutes of the game, the final score would've been 24-14 for the Hawks! Once again, Alta was their own worst enemy. Once Alta decided that they had to play in order to win, they had already dug themselves a really big hole against a really good team. Hats off to Syracuse for capitalizing on Alta's misuces and great field position for the first 6 minutes of the game. That was just what Syracuse needed in oredr to be able to beat a really good Alta football team. Was a great ending to a hard fought game though! Sad though to see Anderson go down, as i don't see Syracuse beating Bingham without him. Hope he has a speedy recovery!

• SportsLover24 SLC, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 11:54 a.m.

It's so sad to see this all-state quarterback get injured right before the biggest game of the year. I really hope him a speedy recovery. He's an incredible play-maker and the heart of the Syracuse offense.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 12:02 p.m.

great game

Dang Bingham caught a Break there with there QB goin down.

Should still be a fun game next week.

• Football Fan Syracuse, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 12:14 p.m.

I don't agree that Alta was the better team for the rest of the game. Yes they did make a run but they really did not stop Syracuse. The last 9 minutes of the game, Syracuse was trying to kill the clock and kept the ball on the ground. When the game was tied and Syracuse needed to score, they walked down the field and put the ball in the endzone.

I saw nothing special about Alta's defense. They were good and I would say on par with North Ridge, not on Syracuse's level. They did get a pick which most teams cannot claim against Cuse. Other than that they got some key stops but every team gets a few of those every game. They did a decent job vs. Syracuse's number 1 wide-out, but that was it. Every other receiver, tailback, fullback and QB had productive nights.

• Football Fan Syracuse, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 12:36 p.m.

Sorry, provided inaccurate information. First fumble the halfback did not get the handoff clean and then got hit. Second one Syracuse's safety defiantly caused the fumble. Could not see that my seat, however, watching the play now and it was a take away.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 1:47 p.m.

Last nights game was awesome being a "Cuse" fan. I need to disagree with Prep Fanatic. I went home last night after the game and told my wife we got lucky to win the game. She told me no Syracuse deserves to win. I thought the game was handed to them but if you really look at the game that was Alta's fault for dropping those ball and Syracuse capitolized on it. I know people have said they lost players in last years game and they couldnt move the ball. Hey that football people. Syracuse came to play and punched Alta in the kisser. On film Alta looks average but in person they have a great team. Ammon Barker has IT!!! Syracuse on both sides of the ball played just as hard as Alta. Say what you want but Alta didnt come ready to play. It happen's thats life thats sports. The back up quarterback is a great kid and football player. I know the team is behind him and will be ready to battle Bingham on thursday. Syracuse can play with any team in the state any given day. I hope for a great game next week.

• ProudBigBrother NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 1:55 p.m.

Congratulations to the Titans, you played a good game and forced some much needed turn overs to take that lead in the first; 17-0 was a touch hole to climb out of. Alta, good fight. You tied it up and, in my opinion, moved at will against a talented Syracuse defense, once you held onto the ball. But Syracuse made the stop atthe end, when it counted most.

I was really sad to see Anderson go down! He's an increadible QB, and I've enjoyed watching his career. I wish him the best. Good luck to the Titans against Bingham. I think they could have possibly beat Bingham with a healthy QB, but I'm afraid that without anderson, Syracuse will be in the same position that Alta was against Syracuse in 2011. What would have been a competative semi-final round just became a dominant victory for Bingham.

I hope all the guys who haven't been giving Region 1 any credit will calm down a bit. They made a great run this year, and have as much to offer as Regions 3 and 4.

• ProudBigBrother NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 2:04 p.m.

I was proud of my brother, Ammon Barker (as my name suggests). Pretty sure he put up his 8th 100+ yard game last night. Wherever he ends up playing D1 ball, UCLA, Utah, or wherever, he has a bright future!

I hope the Syracuse backup QB can get ready! I would love to see a Jordan vs Syracuse in the final!

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 5:10 p.m.

Ammon Barker is a stud. He was fun to watch last night. Like I said I was scared he would take over. He is fun to watch. Great player. He would do great in the Pac 12.

• Remember-The-Titans Syreacuse, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 8:10 p.m.

First i want to say, I TOLD YOU SO!!! All you Region 1 non-believers. I knew Syracuse can compete with the people down south of us. Just goes to show you that there schedule wasn't a factor. And second I want to wish Brock a quick recovery. You played a really good season. We would of really needed you Brock against Bingham. And Binghamalum your boys did catch a break, Syracuse would of made it to the Finals if Brock didn't get hurt. But Lets i shouldn't count us out quite yet. We still have a really strong defense. I hope it will still be a close game come Thursday.

Go Titans!!!! And best of luck to you Brock! Are record wouldn't be what it is if it wasn't for you.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 11:01 a.m.

Rememeber-the-titans,

No one didnt believe Syracuse wouldnt be solid,
    I just keep saying no one is affraid of Region 1 because they can make the turf all they want and be able to play in the title game,
    but lose, No football titles for region1 since 2004, so why would they have started now.

You have no idea about Bingham, and who they are currently, and they like being the underdog, and Im sure had Anderson not gone down, everyone would of probably picked them to beat Bingham.

Bingham will win with a biggeR stronger offensive and defensive line, and I dunno if anyone wants to know, but Bingham hasnt let up more then 20 points in a game this season.
    Not even that amazing SYRACUSE defense can say that. (24 to alta at home)
    There front 3 are all D1, boise state, utah and byu.
    There LB just commited to Hawaii, the other two are going to BYU.
    They moved weiters back over to DB to help. he is going to BYU.

Bingham would of been ready with Anderson there or NOT.
    Feel horrible for the KID.
    They have now 0 chance now
    31-7 Bingham

• TitanJake Clearfield, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 12:00 p.m.

@Binghamalum

Syracuse has 4 defensive lineman that have D-1 talent and strength, they just have D-2 size and High School height. One thing all of you salt lake schools are unaware of is that Syracuse is missing their best offensive lineman who is out this season with an injury.(only a junior and will be back next year, along with most of the offensive and defensive fronts) If he was playing you would not have as big of an advantage up front. The linebackers are small but they pack a punch, and the secondary has a D-1 corner, a 1-AA safey and Fonua is being recruited by an SEC school(Missouri). The defensive game plan against Alta was conservative because of their receiving corp. Additionally, one of Alta's drives was 3 yards, set up by an Anderson INT. I would say Bingham is the favorite without Anderson playing but Bingham better come ready to play,just ask Alta.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 12:38 p.m.

have sBinghamalum

Come on dude wake up.Quit puffing your chest out and beating it like Tarzan. You talk about how good yur team is and who has what offers, if they cant play as a team they wont win. Sorry we beat the team you wanted to play at RES but im here to tell you its time to scout another team for this week. I think you are one of the haters that thought Syracuse doent have a snowballs chance in heck to beat Alta and if they did the streak would be over at 11. You have blown hot air all season, even when Lone Peak beat you guys there is always an excuse why the team got beat. Syracuse is and will be a good team with or without Brock Anderson. Brock is an awesome kid and athlete. Whats cool is how do you know we dont have another offense with the back up quarterback. I think Lone Peak beat you with a back up as well. Binghamalum, do you home work on what your talking about. The "Cuse" will be ready to play. Get ready for a game!!!!!!!!!!!

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 1:36 p.m.

What GoAggies and Football Fan and TitanJake and RememberTheTitans said. Just don't want to get wrapped up with BinghamAlum again, the guyjust doesn't get it.

@ProudBigBrother

I wish your brother all the success in whichever school he chooses. As a UCLA fan and having seen your brother play. I would love to have him at UCLA, I would have loved to have seen him catch one or two of the nine touchdowns UCLA scored last night against AZ. Thanks for the insight that you have given, I hope you are not gone just because Alta is now out.

And because I have decided I don't like BinghamAlum and his rhetoric. GO CUSE!!!!!!

• Remember-The-Titans Syreacuse, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 2:26 p.m.

Binghamalum just because region 1 hasn't won the finals in a few years doesn't mean they won't. Syracuse is really talented and if they had a healthy Brock Anderson then i would say they would walk past Bingham straight into the finals. But we don't and that just means what ever film bingham watches won't work because Syracuse is going to change up its Offense and will come hard. Syracuse is going to have a hard time adjusting but its not going tobe a blowout. Yes you guys have big people so we are at a disadvantage there but Don't count us out just because we arn't as big as you guys. We probably have the best Defense in the State and you guys are going to have a hard time with us. Syracuse will show to the game and they will play there hardest. We fell short last year and Diante Micthal will make sure he is not the one who comes up short. Syracuse has worked hard and will not come up short again. Prepare Bingham, the TITANS are Coming to this game.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 3:02 p.m.

It does mean they wont!

Fremont was this talk last year, played LP and got beat by 30 points

@remember the titans
    "if anderson was healthy they would walk past Bingham"

ha oh typical Region one fan!

Bingham knows the TITANS are coming, you should be be siked about your team and what they have accomplished this year.

But this is Bingham, there defense is better then Syracuses you will see really fast.

BUT ALL of our talk is for nothing because my favorite to win state is still.....

Jordan. No one has showed they can stop them, so all of our talk is for nothing at all.

But yes Bingahm is my pick thursday
    27-7

• ProudBigBrother NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 4:32 p.m.

Thanks, Utah Bruin. I would love to see Ammon playing in Blue and Gold! UCLA's freshman QB, Brett Hundley, is looking really good, and will be fun to watch over his college carrer, especially if he's throwing to my brother! Great win over AZ, who had just upset USC. I like that balanced UCLA offense.

I'll still be around, giving my two cents. I've been saying all year that I expect Syracuse to be the team to upset Jordan in the finals, and I'll be cheering for them next week against Bingham. However, with the loss of Anderson, I fear that I'll be cheering for the under dogs instead of the upstart Region 1 surprise favorite. But Syracuse has several powerful offensive weapons other than Anderson, so they may be able to get things together. Having seen them in action, I have no doubt they will put up a fight!

Does anyone know the condition of Koa Mo'o (DB/WR), the other Syracuse player who got injured? Was it a concusion?

• ProudBigBrother NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 4:41 p.m.

Both Bingham and Syracuse have very powerful defenses. With that in mind, if whoever advances can get some early stops against Jordan's offense, who has been having some very slow starts late in the season, and capitolize on those stops with some good offensive drives, putting points on the board, then they may be able to dig a hole deep enough that Jordan won't be able to climb out. Because Jordan WILL make a run, for sure, and threaten to climb out of any hole they find themselves in! That is the only way I see Bingham or Syracuse coming away with the title, is if they can control Jordan's offense early. Because you can't shut down Jordan's offense, all you can hope to do is slow it enough to allow your offense to outscore them. And if Jordan gets into an offensive rythme early, then I think they'll run away with it, and Kafentzis will likely get his first of three championships.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves :) We still have the semi-finals to worry about!

• Digger Nation Sandy, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 7:01 p.m.

Bingham 42 Syracuse 14

Jordan 49 Lone Peak 21

• papi_chulo Ogden, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 7:47 p.m.

binghamalum...

Fremont didn't lose by 30 to Lone Peak last year...41-21 is 20...where did you learn to do math? Let me guess, Bingham High School?? Lol. And don't talk like you know anything about Syracuse's team saying "they would have had a chance with Anderson, but now they have 0 chance with him gone."

FYI: Football is a team sport and that's why 11 people play on either side of the ball, in case you've never watched a game or played the sport.

Go Titans! You need to dedicate the semi-final game to Anderson and crush the arrogant Coal Miners!

• Remember-The-Titans Syreacuse, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 8:02 p.m.

Are you kidding me, You guys said that Syracuse is to weak and that they played and easy schedule. Now that they just knocked out Alta no one stills believes that Syracuse is good. How could you say that the best Defense in the state will give up 42 points to Bingham. I can't believe how much hate Syracuse and region 1 gets. This is why i hate all the Schools down south. You guys don't know what a good team is, because one of those good teams just knocked out the favorite alta and still no gives them credit. Syracuse just knocked out Alta!!! and still no respect. I agree with the 14 points but 42 seriously, give Syracuse's defense credit.

• Remember-The-Titans Syreacuse, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 8:03 p.m.

Binghamalum, how has Jordon shown that no one can stop them and Syracuse hasn't? No one has stopped Syracuse!! Why is it so hard to believe that Syracuse is good? They are 11-0 and i can easily see them going 12-0 but then Brock went down. So yes we will be missing something on offense, but our defense is still going to be playing. I sure hope Syracuse finds something to go on offense. because man i would like to just rub it in your face that Syracuse is better then Bingham.

• markymark HERRIMAN, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 10:08 p.m.

I love that none of you have a clue, I can't wait for thursday.

• Remember-The-Titans Syreacuse, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 10:42 p.m.

Markymark which side are you talking to?

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 5, 2012 10:55 a.m.

@ProudBigBrother

Hundley is for real and would love to hear the Hundley to Barker for six over and over and over again.

@RememberTheTitans

Hey, don't say "you guys", I have been chiming with BingdumAlum for a week now trying to get him to remove his homer goggles and see past Bingham and give some others some credit, I have been Syracuse's biggest advocate for over a week now. So don't say you guys.

With that said...

Syracuse proved themselves Friday night to be worthy of credible talk and quiet the naysayers (BingdumAlum) who kept crying about 'Cuse schedule. As I said, schedules mean nothing, and papi makes a great point and the point I made all last week about it being a team sport. Is it going to be a bit tougher this week for 'Cuse losing their star QB, sure it is, but like I said all last week, 'Cuse plays disciplined assignment football. The coaches will come up with a new game plan on offense, but the defense is still the same with one new DB minus Anderson. I still like Syracuse and Jordan to meet in the title game.

• markymark HERRIMAN, UT
    Nov. 5, 2012 6:00 p.m.

Both

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Nov. 5, 2012 7:21 p.m.

Markymark you are still mad your Mustangs got beat. There will be next year when they are rebuilding and maybe make the playoffs. Dont be a hater just because your team went out early.

• markymark HERRIMAN, UT
    Nov. 5, 2012 9:28 p.m.

Thanks go aggies, but don't assume that herriman is my team. Cause the happiest day of the year for me was when herriman drew east. My team is still in it and will walk away with the trophy. You just put yourself in the category I'm talking about. Don't assume.

• goaggies1 Clinton/Davis, UT
    Nov. 6, 2012 6:47 a.m.

Markymark, all Im saying is dont be a hater if ya dont know. It would have been a great game to see if our teams met this year. We had a home and home with East last year and my understanding is they backed out and picked up Pineview instead. Dude it would have been a good game.