3A high school football playoffs: Juan Diego dominates the Tigers, advance to Rice-Eccles

Comments

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Nov. 2, 2012 11:39 p.m.

I can't remember the screen name, but I do recall someone from down south saying the other day that JD only played a cupcake schedule and Hurricane because they play in the SEC of high school football, would win this game. mmmmm.... I think maybe the other 3 teams in the Semis better get used to a silver medal this year, because JD will hoist the trophy at RES.

JD and Spanish in the final. JD wins by 14

• OneManWolfPack St George, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 12:05 a.m.

They should win it all every year until the UHSAA makes them play up a class. I don't care if you have 100 students if you can hand pick your team every year! It would be a shame to not make it to the finals with that leg up.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Nov. 3, 2012 7:37 a.m.

@Onemanwolfpack

so if Hurricane won.you excuse would be its because JD doesn't play anybody all season ,and now they lose its because JD hand picks their players . you don't know to much about JD, get your facts together before assuming anything. Show some class and take it like it is. After the game lastnight I spoke with quite a few Tiger Players and Parents and none of them made any excuses , they wished us the best of luck and and had class.

• Dr Rush Saint George, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 8:06 a.m.

Where's all the Hurricane supporters? The bottom line is that Hurricane was down on talent this year and won a lot of games where they were outplayed, JD looks like the team to beat.

• The Official Bingham Canyon, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 9:27 a.m.

@onemanwolfpack.

Shame on your for making another lame attempt to discredit the hard work of JD football,and the team your represent. Hard work , determination, coaching, parent support, school spirit, and heart make up a football team. This JD team was just a better team on Friday, and making excuses and using mis-information takes away all that a football team works hard to acomplish.

• southpride56 Saint George, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 9:32 a.m.

This is the first time Hurricane really has not showed up to play in a long time. The other teams down here won't roll over like that. I say we put the best players from down here on one team and play JD the game would be laughable. I still think we can beat them with play where you live players. Championships just mean more when they are won the right way

• tiger06 SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 9:36 a.m.

What a display the Soaring Eagle put up last night! Hurricane came out very flat and unfortunately didn't play their best game, and JD took advantage of that. If Hurricane had played to their potential thus game would not have been such a blowout, but I still think JD would have won. They are very good, disciplined, and well coached. They will be the last ones standing. It was tough to watch senior Zach Prince not being able to help his teammates at QB where he has been for them since 3rd grade. His injury in the D hills game really hurt Hurricane's psyche. JD is the real deal. They were prepared for Hurricane as was evidenced by the doughnut they hung on Hurricane's offense. @mykali Jordan, unfortunately I ws unable to participate in the tailgate but wanted to say thanks four the invite. Also, your boy was #55 right? Anyway, JD won and they are my pick to hoist the trophy in the end. To all the Hurricane seniors, thank you for a fun and entertaining season! Good luck to you all through the rest of the year in other sports and in your lives!

• tiger06 SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 9:44 a.m.

@ Dr Rush

Hurricane won those 9 games this season because they had more points than the other teams at the end of the games. They lost the 2 games they lost because they scored less. Personally I believe that the team who scored more points was the team that outplayed they opponent. That is the life of sports. The stat for "outplaying" an opponent is that small thing we call the final score. Hurricane outplayed 9 teams this year. They got outplayed by 2.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 10:13 a.m.

I have to admit, I picked Hurricane to win. WoW! Did not see this one coming, I knew JD was good, I just didn't think that good. Congrats to JD and good luck from here on out. It would be exciting to see SF and JD in the championship but lets not sleep on Dixie, they stood up last night. Great game and good luck to all you boys. Great game JD!! And congrats to you boys from Hurricane, great season.

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 10:47 a.m.

Ah southpride56
    You don't really know much about JD football, if they actually did go out and handpick their kids from all over the valley - u could bring your region 9 all star team up and it would laughable cuz u would get crushed

I can attest to the fact that a large number of those JD players have been going to the associated catholic schools since they were little kids and the others showed up freshmen year, heck I can tell u about kids that don't even play football anymore that play other sports at JD that could contribute on the field for that team. So we will take our well coached, athletic and highly motivated team and try to win state and if JD runs into a better team so be it. From the sniping some region 9 posters do on here it seems like st george has some of the same recruiting issues that occur is salt lake

• southpride56 Saint George, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 11:58 a.m.

I still think region 9 is the toughest region
    they do have 2 teams in the final 4 I dont see any other regions with that

• Mark D LAS VEGAS, NV
    Nov. 3, 2012 12:16 p.m.

To Yankees27, MyKalJordan, The Official, scrappy do, and all other understandably proud supporters of Juan Diego: Catholic school teams do enjoy an advantage in not being bound by district lines. The same argument that has been waged against my friend Dave Peck at Bingham HS (i.e., recruiting) has legitimacy in the discourse concerning Juan Diego - they can and do offer an "open enrollment" campus.

The real story here is the financial benefit of such institutions which provides stability and quality of resources, facilities, staff and of course students at Catholic High Schools. Chris Long (AD at JD) said "sports is integral to the growth of all our students." Long has compared the sports program with a front porch. "It’s not the most important room, but the most visible part of the house. It’s part of the whole education process of our students," Long said.

With this approach, an open enrollment facility, and the financial backing to propel it - its no wonder Juan Diego can and will continue to compete for and win State Championships for years to come - no matter their classification...

Just my 2 cents...

• southpride56 Saint George, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 12:27 p.m.

@Mark D
    You are right on
    For JD fans to not acknowledge this just makes them sound ignorant

• Oldcoach Hurricane, 00
    Nov. 3, 2012 1:22 p.m.

Having watched JD and their fine coach John Collosimo for a few years, I doubt if they would do any better with recruited players. He knows Hurricane's offense as well as the Tigers do. He seems to do his homework on every opponent. As I said before this game, defense wins big games, and JD's defense is scary good. The tigers just made too many mistakes on both sides of the ball to win this one. Good luck to the Soaring Eagle. I don't think they will be challenged this year.

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 1:42 p.m.

The funny thing is you never see a post or hear a word about Judge
    Maybe because they haven't won any football championships lately

Only JD brings out the chatter ... If JD did not win I suspect we would not hear a peep

• Mark D LAS VEGAS, NV
    Nov. 3, 2012 4:43 p.m.

@scrappy do:

You obviously missed the point of my remarks - that those schools (be they Catholic Prep or otherwise) that are "open enrollment" based, that take financial advantage of fundraisers, tuition, etc. are able to provide a higher standard of resources, facilities, staff and programs which attract a higher standard of student.

Another example of this is in my backyard here in Las Vegas - Bishop Gorman High School. They are able to and do take full advantage of raising a significant amount of money for top level facilities, staff (and yes, coaches) which translate into a significant draw for top level talent. Who wouldn't want their children to attend an institution with higher capabilities and services than the standard district institution?

I'm neither demeaning nor reprimanding Juan Diego for doing what they do - they do it as well as anyone in the country. My advice to you is respect that it is NOT a level playing field and don't get so defensive when others call you on it...rather, appreciate what you have and admit that its NOT what others have (I think you know what I'm talking about).

Again, my 2 cents...

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 6:01 p.m.

I get you Mark D

Here in Utah though, they could stick JD in 5A and if they happened to win, there would be the same folks going off on them and they can't stick them in a league of their own because there is barely a handful of private schools in the state. I know there are folks who would like to put an asterisk next to every achievement these kids have in football, heck maybe other sports even though this is the one that people break their silence on and get riled up about.

• JD-Dad RIVERTON, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 6:04 p.m.

Ahhh, the "recruitment card" and the "you have more money card"

Yes JD is located in the Salt Lake Valley. However, we are located with 10 miles of Alta, Jordan, Riverton, Brighton, and soon to be Draper high schools. All of which have a much higher student body attendance. Lets face it playing in a higher division, 4A/5A. is more appealing to those athletes that what to play in college.
    IF NOT, WHY DON"T WE HAVE ALL THE ELITES FROM THOSE SCHOOLS?
    Not to take anything away from our kids, but the truly elite athletes will often leave the JD system to go to one of the bigger schools, ie.. Jordan's current quarterback.
    It takes a special kid and family to want to make the sacrifices to come to JD. There are grooming standards, uniforms, codes of conduct, strict educational standards, ie.. how many public schools require 94% in a class for an A?
    Yes there is tuition assistance, but everyone pays something. How many parents want to pay 10K/year for high school?
    Yes this program, school, and entire community that supports JD is special. Every kid works hard to succeed at this school. NEVER DISCOUNT THAT!

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 7:22 p.m.

@mark D

Bitter much about schools doing what is best for there schools???

Juan Diego has one, repeat one Division one player on there team and he is going to Cinncinatti.

Juan Diego moved from 2A to 3A, they had more D1 Talent when they were 2A and everyone complained, they moved up, havent won a state basketball title since, but yes football has 3 titles since 2006.
    baseball has 3 as well.

They could of lost ALL 3 games in those championship games.
    Had they not, would you bring up your argument? Two were on the last play of the games.

Remember all the fuss about Herriman HAVING to play east, Herriman public school cries and throws a fit. Juan Diego had it in baseball just this last spring, Did you even hear a peep from them for winning region and having to play #1 Snow Canyon in 3A?

Nope, they do JD, and If they recruit, there talent is nothing greater then others, they are just MUCH better coached.
    Coach Davis-baseball 3 titles in last 4 years and 2nd
    Coach Colosimo-football 3 titles with a possible 4th this year out of 5 years.

Coaching wins championships.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Nov. 3, 2012 7:50 p.m.

you could take coach colosimo and his staff to any school not doing well, and they would make them a contender..they know how to take alot of good/average players and make a GREAT TEAM..

• Mark D LAS VEGAS, NV
    Nov. 3, 2012 8:00 p.m.

@ Binghamalum, mykaljordan

Once again, a Juan Diego "Parent" or "Booster" that has completely missed the scope of my comments... Just for the record, lets review my comment(s) from above:

"They (Catholic Prep schools, etc.) are able to and do take full advantage of raising a significant amount of money for top level facilities, staff (and yes, coaches)." The key there is "Coaches". Why? They are often well compensated and not asked to carry a teaching load along with it. The facilities are top notch (stadium, conditioning, etc.) whereas a public school "may" not have the benefits of such facilities (with the rare exception - i.e., Kearns HS baseball field - wow, now that rivals UVU's facilities...).

I am not a detractor from Juan Diego, Judge Memorial, Bishop Gorman, et al. Quite the reverse, actually. But I do want to call out the advantages that these schools "can" take advantage of that public institutions may not. You diminish your cause by lashing out at "perceived" detractors - that's not the way to gain appreciation for your school and cause...

BTW - never met a Coach that actually thew a pass or carried the ball across the goal line for the kids.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Nov. 3, 2012 8:44 p.m.

@MarkD

you keep saying mykaljordan in your post. I know exactly what youre talking about..

BTW- Ive never met a Coach tht actually threw a pass or carried the ball across the goal line for the kids either, but Ive met a Coach that has put them in the position to do so..I dont know about other High Schools but at JD, the kids dont call the plays, their TAUGHT to execute them to perfecion by the Coaches..

• K.A.C. GRANTSVILLE, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 9:03 p.m.

JD High school dominates because they have a SUPER TEAM. It's not fair to other 3A schools. I played against JD when I was in school and they had the best athletes from little league from so many different schools. Hunter High lineman, Cyprus QB, West High Running back, etc. Yes it's not fair to team up these great atheletes and make a super team every year. That's why they do so great in football and baseball. NOT FAIR.... BOTTOM LINE!

• braydan32 LOGAN, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 9:06 p.m.

@Binghamalum they have two division 1 linebackers. One going to usu one to cincinatti

• FB Fan #2 Grantsville, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 9:31 p.m.

@K.A.C

They have 3A enrollment, just like us. As far as I remembered, being a Senior at G-Ville this year, our football team was pumped up for the game, and even though they lost the 1st round, they weren't crying because of 'Juan Diego hogging all the 'best players''. They simply are a better executing team, and complaining about them being a 'Super Team' isn't a good argument. It's just because they are have a winning history! People don't complain about Judge!

It's really stupid that people always have to put down a hard working team, just because they win a few state titles. Our team gave them a good fight a week ago, and even though it got ugly in the 2nd half, they still kept their heads up!

Good job to Juan Diego's Football team and kudos to all of your fans. You guys are a classy bunch, and I enjoyed coming to the tailgate for our game. Go win the State title once more!

"Once a Cowboy, Always a Cowboy!" #hardworkpaysoff

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Nov. 3, 2012 10:57 p.m.

MarkD- For the record, I'm not a JD supporter, I support a team (wasatch) in their region. I've become quite familiar with their facilities and team over the last 6-7 years of my kids going through high school and playing them in various sports, football, baseball and wrestling. I've long been someone who agrees with play where you live and for schools like JD or Judge or whoever, I think that they should play enrollment +1. The thing is, JD wouldn't mind a bit, I honestly believe they would embrace the challenge. I've come to respect them very much, they have great fans, and incredible coaching and obviously, a great academic school. For those of us who are truly "landlocked" meaning we don't have more than one high school in town to choose from, I wished the state would change the rules to make those that use out of boundary schools play up one division. It is laughable that the St. George area schools cry out about this, when there are 5 schools to choose from down there.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Nov. 3, 2012 11:14 p.m.

@Yankees27

missed u at the tailgate , we had your double teriyaki burger ready for u..

next time my friend..

• Fan#212 Salt lake, UT
    Nov. 3, 2012 11:17 p.m.

JD does play +1. they are a 2A school by enrollment.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Nov. 3, 2012 11:42 p.m.

Mykal, I did make it to the game, just not in time to tailgate (work, ugh) anyway, you guys looked good and I see no possibility of any other team beating JD. Good luck in the semis. Represent the "North" beat them Rebels, er, I mean Flyers.

• Overseer Hurricane, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 12:33 a.m.

Btw, as a Hurricane fan, I have loved playing jd over the years, and this year hurricane was an overachieving team that lost there most consistent and heart of the offense, their QB prince, would've been nice to have him play in that game as QB, sometimes, small town high schools just don't have depth, and having one of the most important positions on a wing team leader go down, hurts. But, they beat us fair and square, by a very good team.

• EightOhOne St. George, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 8:28 a.m.

Sometimes there is absolutely nothing you can do. No adjustments of personnel or strategy can make a difference. Friday was just one of those nights for Hurricane. JD came prepared and ready. As was Hurricane, they just happened to be in the way of a perfect storm. If anything, I feel Hurricane overachieved this year. A 9-2 record and wins over rivals PV and Dixie, and going 3 OT with the region champs is nothing to be ashamed of. Good luck to Juan Diego the rest of the way, they are definitely the team to beat. And also good luck to the rest of the Region 9 teams!!

Still a tiger fan

• justmythought Draper, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 11:22 a.m.

For those who has the opinion that because of JD's open enrollment, we somehow attract a ton of athletes. Unless you have experienced it first hand, you have no history or knowledge of what really goes on at this school. Yes you are right when saying the advantage they could have being that they have open enrollment. It does not mean that it happens consistently in JD's program. Sure there is a few coming in here and there. Not enough to even scratch any surface. Listen, this program is not deep if that is what your are saying. They might have one back up if any in every position. These kids (high %) do well in the classroom. That transfers to why they do well on the field. They are unselfish but obedient to what they are asked to do each week. Don't assume their success is based on open enrollments or recruiting. Don't discount the fact that this is a well coached and discipline football team. It cost $9,000 a year to attend this school. How many parents are willing to pay that money? Very few. I know a lot of them myself.

• Dr Rush Saint George, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 2:06 p.m.

@tiger06, yes we all know that if you score more points you win, you missed my point which was the Hurricane team was down on talent this year and actually overachieved to win some games where they were outplayed. Like it usually does it caught up with them against JD but thanks for the reminder about the points.

• Oldcoach Hurricane, 00
    Nov. 4, 2012 2:09 p.m.

Anyone bashing either Juan Diego's or Hurricane's program just doesn't know the coaches and the players for either school. They are both class programs with great coaches and very good kids. You will never see any of these players do the "in your face" crap that you see from other programs. That comes from the coaching philosophy and high expectations of the programs. If I had a kid in the Draper area, I would love him to go to Juan Diego. All class. Hurricane is the same way here, although some parents will move their players to any of the schools in St. George thinking they will have better chances at scholarships, but how can you argue with 4 straight championship appearances?

JD Dad--Good post. Mykaljordan--We need to get together one day.

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Nov. 4, 2012 2:24 p.m.

@OldCoach,

We will be getting together soon, I know for a fact that JD and the Tigers will meet again shortly . I have nothing but love for everyone from down south,especially the Mighty Tigers and Dixie Fans. I haven't met anyone from the other schools yet, but I bet their just as classy as the rest of them. May heavenly father continue to bless the parents and fans from hurricane and most of all the student athletes they play for the mighty Tigers..

JD FAN..

p.s you can cheer for my boy # 55 if you're not busy...lol

have a blessed one my friend.

• IRS Agent PROVO, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 3:03 p.m.

The "Private School Advntage" arguement is as old as private schools. The fact is that private schools don't win championships at a higher rate than public schools. It is always sour grapes that comes up anytime the private schools field a great team, and beat someone who was expected to win. If a p-school has a run of success (Judge did in football a few years back), then everyone starts claiming we need to change the rules. The reality is that most p-schools are 1A, 2A or 3A. If they happen to get a "bluechip" athlete, they usually transfer to a bigger school to get notice (ie the Mika kid from Waterford). Couple that with the tuition expense of a p-school, and they are on a level field with the public schools at best, and at a possible disadvantage. The biggest difference, is if the parents are paying tuition, they tend to be much more involved and supportive of the activities. I have personal experience with both sides, and there is no real advantage.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Nov. 4, 2012 3:40 p.m.

Fan212- JD has over 800 enrollment. that puts them solidly in 3A, there are even smaller schools in 3A, Delta, Morgan come to mind.

• FB Fan #2 Grantsville, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 5:53 p.m.

@ yankees 27

I think JD will end up being in 4A for football with the pointless extra classification. Out of curiosity, Is Wasatch's enrollment near the top of 3A?

With the realignment, the only big diff. that I see is them splitting 3A in half, to satisfy the wants of the small schools that cry about 'not being competitive', namely Juab, NS, Carbon and Delta. Morgan and G-Ville (minus 1 person apparently) aren't complaining about being small. I don't think I've heard anything come out of Union, Cedar or Judge being small.

I know that was off topic, but I want to hear thoughts about the realignment since that is in just around the corner.

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 6:09 p.m.

Yankees27 is correct JD and Judge are right in that 800 range. There are smaller schools, Delta is prob the smallest, but someone has to be. The idea of private schools playing +1 of their class is intriguing but to apply this consistently might be an issue. Schools like Layton Christian and others are very small and would surely take issue. You could also have discussions on how public, tuition free, charter schools like Summit Academy fit into the equation. Obviously Summit attracted some 5A/4A kids that were not going to get playing time and they were pretty good, they could easily put together a championship season, are we going to complain about them next? I would imagine other charter schools will come on board soon, considering the demographics in this state.

Just Food for thought

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 6:36 p.m.

@FB#2

I agree going to 6A is silly, JD and Judge are the same size and I could definitely see both in 4A in the new alignment, I don't think JD would mind, travel costs are an issue for them and they would probably prefer to play locally. They really should look at the rural vs urban component of this and expand 2A and 1A a little that probably would have solved a few things without adding a classification

• OneManWolfPack St George, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 6:40 p.m.

@yankees27
    "It is laughable that the St. George area schools cry out about this, when there are 5 schools to choose from down there." This comment you finished with is exactly the problem with Utah and its policy on athletics. Never a level playing field!

• mykaljordan draper, ut
    Nov. 4, 2012 6:50 p.m.

JD has 800 enrollment if you count the kids that attend st.johns middle which share the same buildings at the HS kids..there's about 4-5 hundred HS students. Union HS has more Students then JD..

just saying .

• tiger06 SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Nov. 4, 2012 11:15 p.m.

@Dr. Rush

Yes, Hurricane was down on talent this year when compared to last year's team. I understood that comment of yours. But I still don't understand how Hurricane "overachieved" and "scored more points to win" in 9 games this year and you still say they were outplayed in those 9 games? I don't think I am the only one who would not understand this strange concept you are trying to sell. Perhaps you are trying to say that the teams that Hurricane won had more individual talent, but couldn't play together as a team as well as Hurricane did? Perhaps in your opinion these athletes individually outplayed individual athletes from HHS; such as P. Miller from PV who had 300+ yards in the game against HHS but PV still lost. Or how Blake Barney had a stellar game, as usual, against HHS but his Flyers still came out on bottom. D-Hills and JD beat Hurricane with a total team performance. Hurricane got their 9 wins with a total team performance. Like you said, they "overachieved" and I can guarantee you, as a team they were not outplayed in those 9 games. Your statement just doesn't make sense!

• BubbleBoy7 south jordan, UT
    Nov. 5, 2012 12:34 a.m.

@MarkD
    I would like to know all the facilities that JD uses to take such a big advantage in sports, and why don't they use it for all the other sports that they haven't been as successful at over the years? Comparing them to Bishop G is a huge statement. Have you ever even seen Juan Diego's sportsfacilities? No offense to JD fans but their field looks awful. More black than green. Had a chance to see their weight room and it was tiny compared to other schools. I am not associated with JD.

Also. Juan Diego Catholic has a great team this year. I think they are the clear favorites for this years championship. But don't count Dixie out. QB Barney is great and it should be fun to see him try and out play a stellar JD defense that could be the best Defense Juan Diego has ever had. My pick is JD over Dixie 21-0.

Great season Hurricane Tigers. They played a tough game against JD but show promise for years to come. Can't wait to see what they have in store for us next year.

• Fan#212 Salt lake, UT
    Nov. 5, 2012 6:46 a.m.

Both JD and Judge are under 800 students but that counts their Freshman class. For classification purposes they only consider 10 thru 12, where both JD and Judge are closer to the 500 student cutoff for 2A. I stand corrected that the enrollment today at JD puts them in 3A but when the last realignment took place JD was under the 500 student limit. Based on that they are playing up.

• yankees27 Heber, Utah
    Nov. 5, 2012 10:20 a.m.

FBfan2- Yes, Wasatch is near the top of 3A enrollment and rumored to be 4A next alignment. I'm guessing Wasatch, Uintah, Park City will be bumped up and maybe the St.George schools? With the new 6 divisions in football, many will go at least 4A anyway, but I think the first 3 I mentioned will move to 4A in all sports. Uintah had always been the largest of 3A schools (until the recent economic problems forced alot of moves) but were kept in 3A because the Utah county schools cried about traveling out there to play. It will be interesting to see where Wasatch would be put in a region, either with Utah county or Salt lake area schools. I think JD will play 4A football, so we may remain in their region for that, but not for other sports.

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 5, 2012 12:07 p.m.

Nice Win!! Love that #24

• alternate Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 6, 2012 2:23 a.m.

I believe the main reason you have 5A, 4A, etc. to equalize big schools with a larger talent base playing like schools and smaller schools the same. Throw in an "attractive" smaller school who can "open enroll" an entire metro area, and that school has more resources to pick and choose a team from. Big advantage to them over their smaller school counterparts.

Compare to Skylines of old. Big schools with low attendance numbers that had the ability to open enroll the entire school district and beyond. Their advantage wasn't as great because they had to play at the big school level. But the open enroll advantage proved to be very beneficial when 9th graders could be identified from other school boundaries and enrolled in feeder junior highs.

In my opinion, Judge, struggles because they are the older school in an older part of the valley and not the "new" vibrant private school.

I believe Juan Diego has good coaches, no question, but so do many other school. The key is the ability to open enroll.