Mike Sorensen: Bronco Mendenhall, Kyle Whittingham both want winning QBs, despite speculation

Comments

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Oct. 22, 2012 5:59 a.m.

Not buying. Coaches by nature are control freaks who don't like to be proven wrong. Heaps was run out of town and Lark is buried so far down the bench it isn't funny. Why ? Because Bronco made a bad hire for his offensive cord thats why.

• The Dixie Kid Saint George, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 6:14 a.m.

Nelson may be better than Lark, but you never know unless you play him. I don't see why Lark couldn't complete all the 5 to 10 yard passes that Nelson does. Plus he might even be able to hit wide open receivers down the field.

• Archer Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 22, 2012 6:24 a.m.

Because they have poor judgment, that's why. The author acts like coaches obviously choose the best option, because its their livelihood. Does that excuse fly when coaches are fired? Do they tell the AD that they shouldn't be fire because they made all the best possible decisions because it was their livelihood? No, they get fired because despite their best judgment, they make poor decisions which is demonstrated by a lack of success. So, dear Mike Sorenson, think twice before you try to make all the fans sound like a bunch of ignorant cry babies. I mean, what was your opinion of the Jake Heaps/Riley Nelson QB sharing program a couple years ago? Was that the best option? Is Bronco immune from criticism? Does he make all the best possible decisions because it's his livelihood? Sheesh.

• play by the rules SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 7:03 a.m.

Bronco had the chance to bench Nelson after the fumble in U game. He didn't do it and let the same poor play continue against Boise State. Hill was more than capable and was much more agile.

The loss to Utah and Boise lie directly on the coaches.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Oct. 22, 2012 7:11 a.m.

Both O-lines are a bigger reason for the failures than the QBs.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Oct. 22, 2012 7:49 a.m.

I'm oh so tired of the same old same old. Both programs are much better than their records shows. Please wake me up when the coaches can finally take responsibilities for the reasons their seasons are floundering. I'm tired of looking forward to next year for things to change. Exposure is wonderful and fun only if it partners with winning, otherwise it's a painful nightmare.

I'm so anxious to see the Cougars do well consistently against top competition. If that means a change to the whole coaching staff, so be it. Go Cougars!

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Oct. 22, 2012 8:07 a.m.

I liked this article. But I believe with half of this statement: "While I believe both coaches are quite secure in their jobs." Whittingham- yes. Coach Bronco? Not so sure. I believe he has more than shown that the program has reached its zenith under Mendenhall. I simply don’t think he's the coach to get them to the next level that Holmoe, et. al., has said they want the program reaching. I LOVE the job that Mendenhall has done & stability he created from the Crowton mess. I just think the program has stagnated over the pass 2-3 years. Other Cougs fans will point to 10 win seasons. I get that. But one also has to look at the level of competition for those 10 wins- thanks to the WAC! I, for one, am ready for a change in Happy Valley.

• BigRich Orem, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 8:15 a.m.

At this level of play, you would think a coach would put in a quarterback that can (1) throw a spiral, and (2) accurately throw to a receiver. As to (1), my daughters can throw a better spiral and (2), Nelson's passes are seldom on the mark. Too often they are ahead, behind, or not within five yards of the receiver, even when he is open. As for Utah, well, it's Utah.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 8:18 a.m.

So, according to Mr. Sorensen, coaches are really smart, fans are not, and sportswriters are smart enough to know the difference? Oh, and football is rocket science too.

Blah, blah, blah, blah.

I've played, coached, been raised by a coach, observed, and read about sports my whole life. Along with other intelligent, observant, insightful fans, my opinions are important and valid. Coaches and administrators know this, as evidenced by how much time they spend with and deference they pay to boosters...the super fans...whose opinions actually matter much more than those of sportswriters.

Bronco made a bad hire in Doman for OC (Brandon's a great guy with fine potential, just not ready yet to be an OC). And, Bronco's insistence on Riley as the starting QB may have cost them 3 games...we'll never know whether Lark could have done better.

• dustman Nampa, ID
    Oct. 22, 2012 8:54 a.m.

Consistency is what makes a good team good. BYU is not a consistent team. I'm not buying that these teams are better than their records show either. They won and lost games based upon the team as a whole: coaches, QB's, O-lines, poor secondary, etc... BYU and the U aren't very good this year, or at least, not as good as half of the teams on their schedules. If they were, the records would be different.

• Utahutesthroughandthrough Murray, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 9:09 a.m.

I have said ever since the loss to USC that we should start Wilson. The chance at the PAC 12 championship left with that loss. Wilson is in our future. I think it is best to see how ge does and to get him ready to play next year. That being said I do believe he could take us to a bowl game this year.

As for BYU with Hill injurged you have 2 seniors. If the one can't get you wins. Then try the other one. One of these 2 teams needs to help the college football in the state of Utah this year. And right now it seems my Utes don't have the disicpline nor the capacity to put a full game together.

• ahmyers San Leandro, CA
    Oct. 22, 2012 9:10 a.m.

I'm actually not really perturbed about Wilson being in at the U. He's not the only one making mistakes out there--see offensive line, tackling, dropped passes (and pitches)--i was much more concerned about how the coaches handled the last two minutes of the first half, having three timeouts left and your team having some momentum and moving the ball--the play calling and waiting to use your timeouts not to preserve a drive but just to make sure OSU could squeeze in one more play... baffling... and poor judgment.

• Parkite1 Park City, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 9:30 a.m.

Well let's see if Bronco or Doman had called a time-out in the waning minute + of the Utah St. game when Taysom Hill was in the QB Draw formation instead of pre-victory stance then Hill wouldn't have had a season-ending injury. Boy then would BYU have beat both Oregon St. and Notre Dame, yes I think so. I just wonder though if Bronco had put in Lark in a few occasions like would Lark have hit a wide-open Hoffman for the probable game winning TD, yes I think so..

• Robroy Murray, utah
    Oct. 22, 2012 10:15 a.m.

I agree that both BYU and Utah have mediocre teams this year, primarily in the QB and O-line areas. Both teams have some strengths. As with the other arm chair quarterbacks I still just can't believe Riley is the best QB at BYU. Nothing against him but he is not a big time QB. He would likey thrive at Snow or SUU. His coaches are to blame for putting him in a position to fail, i.e. plying quarterback. It's amazing that Riley continues to miss receivers with passes that are usually into the ground and behind the receivers, not to mention the pass into never never land that should have been an easy score for a wide open Hoffman. Opposing defenses only need to cover 20 yards downfield instead of the usual 30-45 yards as they know Riley can't throw more than 20 yards. No wonder the receivers are covered most of the time. No wonder is seems like opposing defenses have 18 players on the field. It's no mystery why BYU continues to lose these games.

• That's A Good One Meridian, ID
    Oct. 22, 2012 10:39 a.m.

"So this idea that coaches are idiots who can't see that X quarterback is better than Z quarterback doesn't make any sense to me."

It wouldn't take an idiot to realize that an average HS QB could have hit the wide open Hoffman on the pass Riley embarrassingly botched with very little pressure. I find it hard to believe that no BYU QB on the bench could have completed that pass. The 3rd string punter could have hit Hoffman.

It's Hoffman and Apo I feel most sorry for. Wasting superior receiving talent running routes that seldom ever receive decent passes from run happy Riley. Isn't an experienced senior supposed to be better than run of the mill? I was in the stands at both Salt Lake and Boise when BYU's "experienced" QB cost BYU's exemplary defense potential wins.

Ironically, Riley's best game was the bigger loss to OSU. Until midway through the 4th he actually didn't embarrass the fans. All the other 3 losses could have potentially ended in victory with even slightly better than mediocre "experienced senior" QB play from Riley.

Coaches make good decisions...Just ask Taysom Hill

• golsen7 Bonneville, ID
    Oct. 22, 2012 11:09 a.m.

I feel for Riley but how many Coaches would have stuck with a Quarterback after so many turnovers, bad passes that even when caught the player could not do anything with because they were high, low or behind them.
    No one can fault his good heart, desire, and cheer leadership. He is great to have on the team because he is team player not sulking when not playing but cheerleading.

I think he tries too hard and puts too much pressure on himself and it hurts him as a QB.

It is not simple to do it at this level. Look how few HS QBs are recruited to college and of those recruited how many play. Each team has generally 3 to 4 QB on Roster. How many times do we see a player go down or get pulled and the back-up comes in and plays as well or better than the starter but how many time he doesn't

I would like to see Lark to see how he could handle the pressure. It may not be pretty though. Playing at this level is no sure thing.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 12:19 p.m.

Actually, Bronco said winning is 5th on his priority list, so we should all fully expect him to play the guys he thinks can make a non-football impact. Riley is a great guy by all accounts and a superb example to many kids out there. But most of us fans are pretty sure that a different QB would not have gone 0-4 vs Utah, Boise, OSU, and ND this year.

Of course, it could be the OC more than the QB, but poor Riley will be stuck with his legacy of being one of the only senior QBs to not beat Utah or any other decent team his senior season. Doman is fortunate that he will be given a few more years to change his OC legacy.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 12:47 p.m.

BYU needs a passing QB again

• dave22 SOUTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 12:51 p.m.

If Riley had better offensive line and better recievers, he would be one of the best quarterbacks in the country... the guy has more heart and leadership than any quaterback in BUY history...

He just needs a little more time to heal his back and he will be leading the team to victories.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 1:00 p.m.

No one can argure that Lark did not get thrown under the bus. It may be that Nelson (or Hill) is better than Lark, but that argument cannot come from seeing Lark play. He's never been allowed to play. Doman clearly wants a QB that was like him. and if we had a running back like Staley, that might work for a while. But with Staley hurt, Doman did not win many games. Given what we've all seen, one has to come to the conclusiion that Bronco is in love with Riley and winning is not most important to him. and lastly, our offensive line is not strong. that hurts our running game.

• bballjunkie Pleasant Grove, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 1:02 p.m.

@J-TX
    "Both O-lines are a bigger reason for the failures than the QBs"

Maybe in Utah case, but BYU, your crazy Riley's issue is his arm and always has been. He is NOT a D-1 QB period.
    And there is way to many throws to give you examples.But here is one.. last one that missed Hoffman by 2o yards...BYU wins the game. That had nothing to do with the line.

• Pa. Reader Harrisburg, PA
    Oct. 22, 2012 1:46 p.m.

A parallel question might be, "Why would a newspaper publish an ill conceived piece on a topic that so obviously confuses the reporter?"
    In Utah's case a young quarterback is gaining experience that will be valuable in the future. Of course the Utes and their coach still want very much to win, but this is in many ways a lost season for Utah and building for the future makes a lot of sense.

At BYU, a stubborn coaching staff failed to develop one of the top recruits ever landed in Provo and encouraged him to leave the program. They then awarded the starting job to a fine young man who has marginal skills at best, compared to other D-1 quarterbacks. Their ineptitude also led to serious injury for their own promising young QB.
    They are so invested in their selection of Riley they can't even bring themselves to acknowledge his errors and shortcomings.
    The only question in Provo is will Tom Holmoe step in to prevent the disaster that looms next year if the same cast of characters is in control?

• BYU_Aggie LOGAN, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 2:04 p.m.

Seriously, I really don't understand why Lark has so many fans. I'm from St. George, I know about Lark and how widely recruited he was - that doesn't translate into how well he may or may not play in practice/games (we all remember how Heaps turned out, right?). There is no conspiracy. Remember how everyone cried for Nelson over Heaps last year? I don't see how this is any different. At least Nelson had started and won a few games going into that controversy.

As far as I'm concerned, I have the same record as Lark. Why aren't you all crying for me to play?

I agree that Nelson isn't getting the job done, but he still gives us the best chance to win, despite his obvious lack to skills. It's time we all just face it that this season is going to end mediocrely, just as the Utes' season will, for largely the same reason, as this article implies. We'll all just have to hope for better next season.

Now, as for the coaching staff's jobs? Now, that's up for debate.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 2:06 p.m.

@Archer
    ["Why would a coach choose to play a player who doesn't give him the best possible chance to win?"

Because they have poor judgment, that's why.]

Not necessarily. Like in Utah's case I'm sure they have better odds of winning with Hays instead of Wilson. However, we already know this season isn't going to be anything special, and Wilson's a freshman while Hays is a senior. It's more useful for the team moving forward to get some starts for the guy we presume will be the starter next year. I imagine this is why BYU skipped Lark during Nelson's benching and went straight to the freshman Hill.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 22, 2012 2:27 p.m.

thebigsamoan

Notre Dame has had it's problems the past few years also. It goes in cycles,

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 2:36 p.m.

That being said, then the problem lies within BYU's recruiting...for they are now failing to recruit QB's that can pass the ball like the QB's of old. That being said, that is the coach's fault. Not getting the right talent for this team!

If Nelson is indeed the best you have, and Lark and Munns are not, then how much time was wasted recruiting them? Nelson was not recruited by BYU, as I understand it. But he walks in and drivea out a blue chip Heaps, that Lavell says--"I never even gave a thought to playing a freshman" Heaps should have been brought in with that understanding,and then groomed to be amazing his Jr. and Sr. Year. This is how Lavell won.

Bronco and Doman do not have the experience and the fans are not wanting to wait for 10 years for them to "maybe" get it.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 2:54 p.m.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious Mike Sorensen. Of course we fans realize that coaches know their players much better than fans but it doesn't take a genius to realize that Riley Nelson is a great runner and not a great passer. We have numerous games and interceptions to prove that fact. Riley is a great running QB. We need a Passing QB at BYU. From the little we have seen of Lark he appears to be able to throw the ball better than Nelson. Lets give Lark a chance. Thats all fans are saying.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 3:13 p.m.

So Mike Sorensen, you are telling me the fact that Riley Nelson is currently ranked in the Bottom 15% of QB's of all D1 Quarterbacks is not his fault...even in the least bit?!?! Riley is number 104 out of 122 QB's according to ESPN through 8 games of the season. 104 is pathetic for a Senior at Quarterback University. Heck, even Idaho's QB is ranked higher then Nelson.

What is so wrong with the idea of letting the backup QB play and prove if he is a better passer. Lets just try it. We got nothing to lose....expect Another Game.

• Troy06 OREM, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 3:19 p.m.

Totally disagree with you Mike. Riley is no good. Bronco plays him only because he loves him. He's being like the good ole boy LaVell Edwards who only played his favorites. Anyone with any resemblance of football IQ can see Riley's costly mistakes lead to 4 losses. Don't tell me I lack the intelligence to understand what is happening with the football team in Provo. Sure I'm not granted access to the players like the coaches, but I've been to plenty of practices, scrimmages, and games. And heaven knows you reporters have filled me in on anything I've missed. Like Dick H telling us about Riley's family humiliating Jake Heaps wife at last years USU game.

Come on mike.

Bronco will never be fired!

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Oct. 22, 2012 4:01 p.m.

bballjunkie
    Pleasant Grove, UT said:
    "@J-TX
    "Both O-lines are a bigger reason for the failures than the QBs"
    Maybe in Utah case, but BYU, your crazy"

OK, because you're a junkie, we'll overlook the poor orthography.

But if I'm crazy. watch #1 through #4 and #7's offensive lines dominate the line of scrimmage. Look at the time their QBs have to make the right decision. Look at the lack of hurries, knock-downs and sacks.

Not a lot can substitute for five 300-lb agile and strong offensive linesmen.

My grandma could play behind some of these lines and beat Utah or BYU.

But you keep blaming the QB. He's an easy scapegoat. I'm telling you, if Nelson had, on average, 1.2 seconds longer in the pocket, he would make a lot more good passes. Not that I'm a Nelson fan. I'm not. But there are 11 guy on a team......

• dumprake Washington, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 5:05 p.m.

But here's the real point. BYU fans would be satisfied if Bronco would at least use the press to make a point to his starting QB, something like this: "I love Nelson, boy he's tough and he's a competitor, but if he wants to stay on the field he better learn to stop turning the ball over, those turnovers are killing us." Then BYU fans would believe Bronco "gets it" and isn't just so focused on Nelson that he's going to ride him even if it means a losing season. Fans aren't dumb either, they know the deal, they just want the coach to say something other than the politically correct, party line.

• NeilT Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 5:35 p.m.

If BYU had defeated ND everyone would be singing Riley's and Broncos praises. They came so close. Why did BYU punt so late in the game with no possibility of getting the ball back? All ND had to do was run the clock down. I would have made a gutsy call and gone for it. Even on 4th and long. No mention of the kicker that missed an easy FG that could have sent the game into OT. Just wondering.

• Troy06 OREM, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 6:04 p.m.

Mike your article is a cheap shot created solely to create publicity for you. This is the kinda garbage Dick H usually does to get as many online hits as possible.

• Troy06 OREM, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 6:08 p.m.

NealT:

If BYU had defeated ND no one would be singing Riley's and Broncos praises. They would be singing the Cougar fight song. Riley will, along with Bronco and Doman forever be remembered for the key losses.

• Donny Orem, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 6:20 p.m.

Does BYU need a Leader or QB?? Riley might be the better leader, but is Lark so bad he won't even have the chance to play???

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 6:36 p.m.

"...many believe the Utes might have won their last two games if the experienced Hays was allowed to play instead of a green freshman who is prone to turnovers."

Nobody with a brain believes this. Wilson has a higher completion percentage, more yards per attempt, and has thrown 3 ints to Hays' 2. Plus Wilson has thrown for over 200 yards in both his starts, which is something Hays has never done.

Playing Wilson is absolutely the right choice because he has more upside than Hays and he will be far more prepared going into next season.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Oct. 22, 2012 7:45 p.m.

Wanting and getting are two different stories.
    Where is USU in this story?
    Oh, that's right, we have a SOLID QB?
    Lol!

• 61Cougar Seattle, Wa
    Oct. 22, 2012 8:12 p.m.

Article: "As I wrote in a recent column, there's no one more popular than the backup quarterback. Starting quarterbacks are easy whipping boys for fans who expect perfection. Fans always think someone must be better than the guy who isn't completing every pass and winning ballgames every week."

Not true. Backup quarterbacks are only popular on "struggling" teams.

I recall Ty Detmer throwing 5 INTs against Oregon in a loss that spoiled an unbeaten season. Nobody was calling for Ty to be replaced by the backup. The reason? Ty had built a cache of credibility with the fans because of his consistent outstanding play at the position. So when he did have a clunker of a game, people knew it was an anomaly, and the great play would return.

Nelson will never build that kind of cache with the fans--it's simply too late. So yes, BYU fans are howling for the backup--but justifiably. Some are even pining for the potential lost when Jake Heaps was run out of town.

Such is the sad state of BYU's offense today.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 9:38 p.m.

Riley Nelson averaged only 7.5 yards a pass against notre dame in over 30 attempts.

(BYU offense always stagnates and struggles when under 10 yards per pass, and only hums at better than 12 yards, and you need passing QB for that)

I am not buying nelson gives the team the best chance to win.

Doman plays nelson and subsequently Hill because the scrambling running QBs fit his "running" system better.

A system that is decidedly NOT BYU football, and so BYU struggles offensively and wastes the talents that they do have.

• dansimp Layton, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 9:43 p.m.

So far this season Riley Nelson is 2-4 with 8 tds and 10 interceptions. If this sports writer is correct, and Lark isn't better than that? He flat out shouldn't be on scholarship at the Y, end of story. There is a reason that not much of anyone tried to recruit Riley out of High School. And there is a reason Rudy only played 2 plays in the movie. I would challenge this writer to go back to any game that Riley has played, and try to find more than 3 passes that were accurate, and thrown where they were supposed to be. Receivers that somehow get the ball does not equal a well thrown pass.

• Glad to be Retired Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 22, 2012 11:13 p.m.

We all seem to forget how thrilled we were when Heaps was replaced by Riley!!!

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Oct. 23, 2012 8:26 a.m.

Please don't lump Utah fans with the BYU fans in this article about being disgruntled with the quarterback situation.

As I write these comments, 41 people have posted on this article. The vast majority of the comments addressed the BYU quarterback dilemma. Not one of them was written by a Ute fan that is unhappy that Wilson is now the starter on The Hill.

Good luck to both teams this weekend.

• Tarheel Ute Colorado Springs, CO
    Oct. 23, 2012 9:56 a.m.

I do not play the electric guitar, but that does not mean I don't know a good riff when I hear one. I've played but never coached, and I expect after 40 years of Utah/BYU football, I understand good football and good coaching when I see it, and I've not seen much lately.

While I agree with the Author that Wittingham and Mendenhall are making the QB decisions based on winning, I suspect Mendenhall is more interested in winning now with Nelson and Wittingham, by playing Wilson now, at the expense of winning now, is more concerned about developing his Utah QB of the future.

Time will tell, which Coach (and QB(s)) fair the better.

• daver Provo, 00
    Oct. 24, 2012 3:35 p.m.

Really Mike? Then why does one "good" coach stick with only one QB, when he professes to have many highly competent QB's and the other "good" coach quickly retires the first and 2nd QB in favor of QB #3, as when Mack Brown pulled out a win over BYU last year, and BYU chose to sink the ship with Heaps playing the entire game??

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 25, 2012 8:38 a.m.

"Coaches have egos"

And nothing clouds one's judgement more.

It is ego that causes a Bobby Petrino to ride around town with his mistress on his motorcycle, and pay her thousands of dollars for a job she shouldn't have had.

It is ego that causes basketball coaches to grab players by the throat.

It is ego --
    "I'm smarter than everyone else,"
    "I'm going to do it my way,"
    "It is my offensive coordinator's fault we got a field goal attempt blocked, I'll 'evaluate' him,"
    "The OC we have has made us a national leader, but our never-been-a-coordinator-QB coach will be better,"
    "Everyone knows two QB's is stupid, but I disagree,"
    "People aren't following our QB, and that is a failure of leadership on the part of a 19 year old kid, not a failure of leadership of a 'seasoned' head coach and a bunch of 25 year old players and Captains,"

that causes coaches to say, "The fan's criticism is a function of their lack of understanding,"

and his mini-me to criticize fans for deigning to not comment on his failures.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 25, 2012 8:54 a.m.

Let's talk specifics:

Coaches don't just coach, they recruit. Blaming the offensive line is no excuse. You recruited them, you didn't recruit others, you coach them, it's on the coaches.

BYU and Notre Dame. You are on the 31 yard line, with 6 minutes left. That's a 46 yard FG to tie, deep enough in enemy territory that you won't be hurt if you make zero yards, and 4 down territory -- 2.5 yards per play -- if you don't believe in your kicker. The one thing you CAN'T do is lose yards. You don't call a pass that results in a sack taking you out of FG range and now giving you 3 downs to make 20 yards. Check that, TWO things -- you don't punt the ball with 6 minutes left when you are behind haven't been able to stop the run.

You also don't go for two when you can tie the game against a team you just drove down the field on and who hasn't been able to put a drive together all day. One PLAY isn't the same as a drive.

• WisCoug MOUNT HOREB, WI
    Oct. 26, 2012 3:32 p.m.

Practice is not a game. Accepting that Nelson is a better option at QB than Lark because the coaches spend a lot of time with them both means they are putting too little weight on in-game performance.

The most important stat for a starting QB is not interceptions, fumbles lost, ypg, or TDs, it is wins. It is not crazy, as fans, to prefer giving a kid a shot who has none of them (wins) in favor the kid who has only 2 in 8 tries against teams above .500 (9-7 overall as a BYU starter).