Opinion

Biden's debate performance was uncivil and rude

Comments

• KJB1 Eugene, OR
    Oct. 17, 2012 8:16 a.m.

Translation: Biden won, so I'm going to whine about how unfair it is.

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    Oct. 17, 2012 8:45 a.m.

This is old news. The debate occurred like over a week ago. What's the point of publishing this piece?

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Oct. 17, 2012 11:56 a.m.

It was fun to watch Joe win that one.

• Eric Samuelsen Provo, UT
    Oct. 17, 2012 12:25 p.m.

Funny how Gerson thinks Biden was uncivil and rude, right before Mitt redefined those two terms for us.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 17, 2012 12:27 p.m.

Bidens' condescending, laughing, and gesturing put Romney up by 5 points. The tactics he used are especially off-putting to women because many times thats how they are treated in the workplace.

Surprise, surprise, the womens vote is what put Romney on top!

• Lagomorph Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 17, 2012 5:21 p.m.

Fitness Freak: "Surprise, surprise, the womens vote is what put Romney on top!"

They must have been hiding in his binders.

• boxerdog915 Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 17, 2012 6:02 p.m.

These debates are getting idiotic! It's becoming nothing but a show instead of a debate. I feel like I'm watching a really bad Broadway play when I watch these things instead of our supposed future leaders explaining to us what their plan is to get America back on its feet. Neither have my vote because all four are just proving how childish and incompetent they are to lead this nation.

Good thing there are 5 other people running for office. At least I can look at someone else instead of the idiot people trying to sell me on these four goons. Sorry, not buying their B.S. and lies!

• BH Tremonton, UT
    Oct. 17, 2012 6:29 p.m.

KJB1 said,
    "Translation: Biden won, so I'm going to whine about how unfair it is."

Was there a second Vice Presidential debate? Because the one I watched was definitely not won by Biden. Everyone who I have spoken with got really tired of his strange attempt to mock his opponent through childish, goofy grins. And I haven't read a single news media article that says he won. Not even the New York Times or NBC or CNN have said he won.

So the only explanation I can come up with, is there was a second debate that only you and five other Americans saw. You know. The other five people that think Biden won.

• Eric Samuelsen Provo, UT
    Oct. 17, 2012 7:38 p.m.

BH
    Polls say Biden won. Repubs thought their guy won, Dems thought their guy won. Independents thought Biden won, and by a large margin. So Biden won.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2012 10:51 a.m.

@Eric Samuelsen
    "Polls say Biden won."

Actually; some polls (not all) said Biden won; but even those polls indicated that Romney cleaned house on several key issues, such as the economy.

The real question is: Was Biden's "win" Pyrrhic? Firing up the base but offending the swing voters - on that count, the answer is yes, his bizarre antics offended more swing voters than it attracted.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 19, 2012 3:20 p.m.

Biden is Biden. No one can change him. He is what he is. To say that he is something else is to lie. He is a heartbeat away from the President. He is the next person in line to deal with all of our problems. He is the person that we will go to if something happens to Obama.

That is scary.