Opinion

Letter: Orrin Hatch is a good example of why term limits are needed

Comments

• The Real Maverick Orem, UT
    Oct. 14, 2012 9:59 a.m.

We already have term limits... It's called the voting booth.

If Utahns are gullible enough to reelect Hatch then they deserve everything that's coming to them.

• Eric Samuelsen Provo, UT
    Oct. 14, 2012 10:47 a.m.

Gosh, if there were only a viable alternative. Wait, there is: Scott Howell! We could vote . . . for the Democrat!

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 14, 2012 10:47 a.m.

Voting against someone is foolish. I have never done that. I either vote for someone because I believe he/she will do the job, or I don't vote for that office.

Until the Democrat Party Platform changes, I cannot vote for a Democrat; but, that does not mean that I will vote for every Republican on the ballot.

Mr. Hatch will win, but he will win without the votes of many of us Republicans.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Oct. 14, 2012 10:54 a.m.

Scott Howell is the answer.

Trouble is, too many voters are not listening to the questions.

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 14, 2012 11:19 a.m.

The Deseret News has an excellent section that compares some of the candidates. Hover your mouse over "News" then click "Politics". You'll see "Decision 2012 Voter Guide". That guide has some very detailed answers from some of the candidates. It's a good starting point and well worth reading.

• ugottabkidn Sandy, UT
    Oct. 14, 2012 11:32 a.m.

Unlike some in this forum, I will vote against some individuals and parties. I am pragmatic enough to know there are no perfect candidates, and there are no 'perfect' parties or their platforms. In this case I am going to vote for Howell as much as I will vote against Orrin Hatch because Hatch has represented the values of people that have sought to buy the government of the United States. During the past four years especially he has voted lock stop and barrel with those people and FOR obstruction. He called the jobs bill, that would create employment and close Chinese loopholes, "a joke". This is the attitude he has taken about the middle class and as corporate attorney he never figured out that enriching the powerful doesn't improve the life of all. I also would be remiss not to mention that I will be voting against the R that stands for Hypocrite running in the 4th district.

• Buford Buckley Provo, UT
    Oct. 14, 2012 1:31 p.m.

I want an 84-year-old senator. Some of my favorite people are over 80. So what if he gets sick and can't finish his term. The party will appoint Jason Chaffetz or Mia Love to replace him.

• WHAT NOW? Saint George, UT
    Oct. 14, 2012 3:26 p.m.

I appreciate the magnificent effort hatch gives every second he is in the senate.

hatch is a tribute to the knowledge and voting acumen of Republican Utah voters.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Oct. 14, 2012 3:28 p.m.

Buford, old friend, you just set off my Halloween Horror Alarm and added two more excellent reasons why we need to elect Scott Howell.

• GK Willington SLC, UT
    Oct. 14, 2012 6:20 p.m.

re: Buford B & one old man

2 Tea party clowns representing Utah in the Senate would keep Wes Craven & Stephen King up @ night.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Oct. 14, 2012 6:27 p.m.

@ Mike Richards 10:47 a.m. Oct. 14

Well, you are 1/2 way there. Vote Libertarian.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Oct. 14, 2012 9:08 p.m.

What Now, you are being sarcastic, right?

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 8:53 a.m.

Don't you just love all these "if you don't think like I do, then you must be an idiot" comments whenever politics is discussed.

I am a conservative. I think the Republican party is much more aligned to my values than is the Democratic Party. I don't think the policies of the current president are good for the country. But I certainly don't think all Democrats are stupid, are liars, or are gullible lemmings. I can respect others' opinions even if I don't agree with them.

• merich39 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 10:26 a.m.

Orrin Hatch is a liar and the fact that anyone continues to vote for him always amazes me. When he ran for the Senate against Frank Moss, he promised that he would not serve more than 2 terms. He didn't qualify that promise with any caveats like "unless I feel my work is not finished" or any such thing that politicians typically fall back on to justify their dishonesty. He only stated he would not serve more than 2 terms. He lied.

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 10:26 a.m.

Joe: "I can't wait for this election to be over, so that the name calling can simmer down a bit.
    " Seriously? The name calling will continue no matter who "inherits" what in whichever campaign...

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2012 10:43 a.m.

Re: one old man Ogden, UT
    "Trouble is, too many voters are not listening to the questions."

No, the trouble for Democrats in Utah is that the majority of voters still believe in basic morality, the sanctity of innocent life, and believe that individual citizens should be responsible for their lives.

We know the questions and the Democrats don't have the correct answers.

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 15, 2012 12:23 p.m.

Criticizing Hatch implies that the alternative is better, an unwarranted assumption.

• Mike in Cedar City Cedar City, Utah
    Oct. 15, 2012 5:01 p.m.

Lets ask Anite Hill what she thinks. Some of you will know what that means.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 16, 2012 5:49 a.m.

Re: Mike in Cedar City Cedar City, Utah
    "Lets ask Anite Hill what she thinks. Some of you will know what that means."

Actually Monica Lewinsky would be much more credible. She had proof to back up her claim.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Oct. 16, 2012 7:08 a.m.

merich39-Hatch made no such promise. He has never said anything resembling that. You most likely weren't there in 1976 and you don't know history. The two term statement was uttered by Bennett, who by the way is endorsing Jim Bradley. Bennett really knows how to bite the hand that fed him.

Orrin Hatch has done a great job for Utah. His age in not a factor in my voting. So what if he dies in office? He is sharp and in good shape. I for one am not worried.