High school football: Top 25 for Week 9

Comments

• Sampson Orem, UT
    Oct. 8, 2012 8:51 p.m.

Glad to see the Dons recognized! They haven't forgotten that sting from last year's semis.

• ProudBigBrother NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Oct. 8, 2012 9:41 p.m.

I'd say East should be ranked #1 now, with their victory over an impressive Bountiful team. Especially considering Jordan now has a loss (I know, to a touch California school), and considering they narrowly escaped defeat against unranked Cottonwood (1-6). I'm still calling Syracuse as the upset team to take down Jordan. I have a feeling Kafentsiz will have to wait 1 more year for his state championship.

Alta should be #4 over Timpview, since Timpview's only loss was at the hands of the Hawks, who have had a MUCH tougher schedule than the T-Birds.

And Pleasant Grove deserves a higher ranking than 20th, too. Lone Peak is a talented group to have upset! Coach Hamilton is going to take that PG program to the next level over the next couple years.

• USC Fan in Utah Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 8, 2012 9:47 p.m.

@sampson You better believe it. They are putting in the work now getting ready for a trip to RES. They got revenge for last years loss against Delta. Two more region games (NSP and Payson)

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Oct. 8, 2012 9:54 p.m.

My two sense on the top 5:

1) east
    2) Syracuse
    3) Jordan
    4) alta
    5) Timpview

• eagle Provo, UT
    Oct. 8, 2012 10:02 p.m.

Didn't Bountiful beat Lone Peak and pretty handily as well. Didn't Alta beat Timpview at Timpview? Didn't East beat Jordan though the game went three quarters? Not sure about these rankings...

• ProudBigBrother NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Oct. 8, 2012 10:11 p.m.

@Old ball coach

Wow, Syracuse above Jordan already, eh? I considered it, but I wasn't quite ready to make the leap. I'm not saying I completely disagree, but I'd like to know what your reasoning is? Sell me on it.

• SportsLover24 SLC, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 2:29 a.m.

I definitely won't make any specific "calls" already because the tournament always brings surprises (Remember how everyone was expecting Alta to win state last year and Syracuse upset them in the first round as like a fifth seed?) but I think it would be great to see region 1 finally bring home a well-deserved state championship. It seems they always have a team in the finals or at least the semis but haven't sealed the title since the '04 Darts. I think it would be a phenomenal matchup to Syracuse vs Jordan in the 5A championship game. Just my two cents anyway...

• fender Washington, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 6:11 a.m.

@USC Fan in Utah

If I were SF, I'd be thinking about the first round match up with Region Nine, not making reservations in Salt Lake.

• USC Fan in Utah Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 7:45 a.m.

@Fender Good point. I agree that the championship will go through region 9. All of the top teams in that region will be tough.

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 9:20 a.m.

I agree that it is time for East to take the #1 spot. East's "win" over Jordan and Jordan's narrow escape over Cottonwood should justify that.

I would flip-flop Alta and Timpview to #4 and #5 respectively.

I think Northridge is ranked too high at #6 and Box Elder is too high at #12. Both of these teams have beat the teams they should have beat and lost to the teams they should have lost to. I'm not sure what sets Northridge above teams #7 through #10...other than Northridge beating Logan. Not sure what sets Box Elder above teams #13 through #20. Box Elder has no significant wins and losses against Syracuse and Mountain Crest were expected. I guess wins against Logan and Highland would help their cause.

I don't like Riverton, Brighton and Skyline being ranked over Herriman. Even though Riverton beat Herriaman...I don't think they have played any better since. Brighton's 6 point win over West Jordan and the fact that they won't make the playoffs means they are ranked too high. Skyline beat Herriman but is nowhere close to being a better team.

• joseywales Park City, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 9:28 a.m.

fender- If I were any team I would be thinking of my first round game. Some of the things I've read lately have been otherwise. I've read posts from a bunch of people from the Dixie area, saying 3-4 teams in the semis, etc,. Not that that might not happen, it's just that no matter if I were ranked #1 or unranked, I would focus more on the game at hand, than looking ahead to any potential playoff matchups. Anything can happen, that's why they play the games. I think some people are going to be shocked by the outcome in 3A this year.

• fender Washington, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 10:13 a.m.

@joseywales

I don't disagree with you. Nothing is guaranteed and you may well be right that the outcome will be a surprise. The odds favor Region Nine just based on the likelihood that all four of its playoff teams will probably have a legit shot at the big game. I don't think that will be true of any other region in 3A. But, there are some other very good teams north of Region Nine: Juan Diego, SF, and Stansbury come to mind and any one of those teams could be there.

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 10:33 a.m.

@ josey
    How could it shock anyone? Are my redmen in and don't know it? Let's take a closer look. Stansbury undefeated and beat DH......wouldn't be a shocker. Juan Diego obviously no shocker. SF made the semis to be beat by a really good Hurricane......not a shocker. The only shocker is my cattle prod I use on the sheep. It makes their wool burn a little though. All we need on here is amanap saying how PV is going to take state. He is such a PV fan. Another shocker would be if my single wide done asexual reproduction and became a double wide.

• Casual Fan Somewhere, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 10:57 a.m.

BigBenzo88 - You are, at best, a little delusional.

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 11:28 a.m.

@Casual Fan - Why do you say that?

Its not unreasonable to think East is ranked #1 over Jordan. I don't think ranking Alta #4 and Timpview #5 is out of the ordinary. I don't think that I'm wrong to question why Northridge is ranked #6. I don't know much about the team, but looking at their wins and losses...I don't understand that high of a ranking. The same holds true for Box Elder...I don't know much about them...but looking at their wins and losses...their ranking of #12 seems high.

Riverton being ranked over Herriman I feel is off. True, Riverton did beat Herriman, but as I have pointed out...it was a neutral site and went into overtime. Since then...Riverton has not played better than Herriman. Brighton will not make the playoffs due to Cottonwood holding the tie-breaker and Skyline, again did beat Herriman....however, it was at Skyline with questionable calls in the last 60 seconds that led to a Skyline score. Skyline's close win over Hillcrest and 3 losses should put them behind Herriman.

Please share what is delusional about what I have pointed out???

• Whiteshoes Orem, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 12:33 p.m.

I believe East is playing the best football right now and should be ranked #1. I wish that East/Jordan game could have been completed because either team could have won that game. The one-point advantage in the third quarter simply means the teams were neck and neck. As for the rest, it's debatable. Bingham and Lone Peak could beat several of the teams ranked ahead of them, but both teams lost their letdown games.

Timpview, Mt. Crest, Box Elder, and Skyline are ranked a few places higher than they should, IMO.

• Casual Fan Somewhere, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 12:55 p.m.

BigBenzo88 - You put way too big of a premium on things that are of no relevance. Your bias clouds your judgement so bad that it's beyond laughable.

• louis65 Hurricane, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 1:21 p.m.

IMO 3a is wide open. So many good teams. i could see Hurricane, Dixie, Juan Diego, or Spanish Fork taking it. Playoffs will be exciting and full of surprises I am sure. I don't follow 5a and 4a like I should, but it seams like East will take 4a, and South Jordan 5a. There is nothing guaranteed in 3a. Should be a fun post season to watch. Everything is wide open in 3a. The only thing that is certain is that the best team will ultimately win it all.

• Aces in the Hole West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 2:13 p.m.

So BigBenzo,

Looking at Region 3 and lets say Brighton loses to Jordan and beats Copper Hills, and WJ loses to Alta and Jordan and Cottonwood loses to Alta (which could happen) then there will be a 3 way tie for 3rd. So Brigton could be the 3 seed in that very tough region. Just my opinion but if you replace Herrimann with Copper Hills in that region, Herrimann would not make the playoffs.

• t22 St.George, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 2:29 p.m.

Dixie in its last 2 games has outscored its opponent by an average of 30 points, and its dropps off the top 25? Come on desnews give the south some love for once! I'm sick of hearing about the north....last year it was all teams from the dirty south in 3a, and dnews still wouldnt give anyone credit! Cough a little cash out to your writers so they can head down to the south and see the real potential down here.

• One Observer Somewhere in, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 3:05 p.m.

@joseywales said . . . some people are going to be shocked by the outcome in 3A this year.

That made me think - what team would shock me by winning the 3A state title? Not Hurricane or JD - they won the last 4. Not SF or Dixie - they had positive buzz all season. Not even Pineview winning the title would shock me. They’ve been playing really well since Wilstead came back after missing 5 games with the broken ankle.

Only these 3A title scenarios would shock me:
    1. Some team nobody is talking about – like Wasatch or Morgan – comes out of nowhere to win it all. That would shock me.

2. Desert Hills wins it. That would shock me because there are 3 better teams in their own region.

3. Stansbury wins it. Stallions have played the softest schedule – by far – of any of the 3A title contenders. Their winning the title would run counter to everything I have ever experienced about sports and life – you can’t learn to beat tough opponents by competing against softies, and DH is their only quality win. If Stansbury can pull it off, that would shock me.

• amanap Washington, ut
    Oct. 9, 2012 7:27 p.m.

@ jomomma

Pine View will finish 4th in region 9 and then go to Spanish Fork and beat them in the first round. Pine View will be playing Hurricane at RES...

• markymark HERRIMAN, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 7:29 p.m.

I can't wait to see how the playoffs play out. I think there will be some surprises in 4a and 5a.

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 9:11 p.m.

@ amanap
    I agree with you that pv will beat spanish fork. pine views line is bigger than byu's line. pine views line would give byu's offense a spark. still don't know why they have such a bad record?

• HurricaneFan Hurricane, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 10:15 p.m.

PV's line probably could give BYU a spark!
    I think in region nine we discuss the strength of the region so much because we see such great games and teams week in and week out. As we discuss this it would be easy to assume that most of us are overlooking some great teams up north. For the majority, that isn't the case.
    I've really enjoyed this season and continue to be impressed with each region 9 team we play this year!

• CheetahMahi Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 9, 2012 11:29 p.m.

I agree a 2-point win over Cottonwood is reason enough to doubt Jordan belongs at #1. Before this week, I thought schedule difficulty qualified them above East but regardless of the disappointing showing against Cottonwood, East outshines Jordan based on depth and ability on both sides of the ball. East shows depth and player development whereas Jordan is showing, like last season, dependency on Kafentzis. Also, compared to Jordan who has scored 330 and allowed 146 so far this season, East has scored 314 and allowed 39 overall- talk about an offensive and defensive powerhouse.

• Sampson Orem, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 7:08 a.m.

@t22 Dizie has has a great season...but have no signature wins. They beat Springville and Provo, sure--a combined (2-14). They beat Pine View soundly when their #1 QB was out. They played Hurricane tough but lost. The Flyers are explosive and could be as good as Stansbury or Spanish Fork.

Stansbury edged D-Hills as did Dixie. Spanish beat Springville similarly as Dixie. The playoffs will help us see the picture better. Dixie will face Juan Diego in the 2nd round. Beat the Soaring Eagle and you will get the respect you wish.

• just sayin' Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 7:45 a.m.

WX will smoke Bountiful this week and then do some serious damage at state!! 4A This is our year!! Go WX!! GO CATS!!

• Whiteshoes Orem, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 9:30 a.m.

I agree with t22 in the sense that a team shouldn't drop in the standings when they win big.

• fender Washington, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 10:05 a.m.

@Jo Momma

Why isn't PV's record better is a very good question. It's a head scratcher for sure. Who knows the answer, but couple of obvious things. Anytime a team loses a kid with Wilstead's upside it's a problem. No coach is going to play that kid without two safeties. Without him, teams load the box and no matter how good the O line is it can't block everybody. Haven't seen all PV's games, but Wilstead was out for Dixie game and Dixie loaded the box, brought the outside backers on every play and ignored PV's passing game.

Wilstead was back for Hurricane game and didn't play well, but Hurricane still had to play him honest and the PV line and the RB put up something like 360 yards rushing.

The other thing I saw in those games were some very questionable coaching decisions that handicapped PV. PV could learn something from Hurricane: keep it simple, play the percentages and keep your kids focused. That's why IMO Hurricane is still the team to beat.

• PrepFootballNut Orem, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 11:17 a.m.

@t22 Spanish Fork has outscored 3A opponents 226-26. I know St. George teams are good but never underestimate the team that everyone is overlooking. Top 4 in 3A Hurricane, Juan Diego, dixie and SF but it's hard to put them in order.

• fender Washington, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 11:45 a.m.

@PrepFootballNut

Don't think anybody down south is overlooking SF. It's obviously a good team, but here's something to put it in perspective for you. SF beat Springville 28-14 and Juan Diego beat Springville 19-18. Orem, however, beat Springville 45-18, so you might draw the conclusion that Orem is a little stronger team than SF or JD. Yet, PV, which will finish in 4th or 5th place in Region 9 beat Orem @ Orem and without its starting QB. I think the point is that the competition in Region 9 is just tougher and teams in that region are going to get more credit...or should.

• WXcat Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 1:02 p.m.

Interesting thought. If East beats Highland (which I expect,) and WX beats Bountiful (Less expect,) that sets up the three way tie for second. That would be pretty fun.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 1:33 p.m.

All you 3A lovers,

just going to say real quick.... we all know you have your teams in St. George and no one is taking you lightly, these top 25 in the state dont matter, You can prove it more and more by winning.

Hurricane hasnt lost in 18 games or something, and you all talk like Pine View, Dixie, Have these amazing teams, Beat your own teams in your own region before you talk.

I am going to say this right now....

Juan Diego will win 3A! There defense is awesome, they just run the ball right at you all night, and have a great Focus because of that horrible trajedy with one of there former players passing away.

Eat this up you 3A lovers,

SOOOOOOO stoked to see Brighton hopefully beat Jordan 2 times in 2 years, and I can see them winning because they get up for these type of games. Jordan and Brighton..... Hate each other!!!! Should be a good one on Friday at Jordan, I will be attending.

• binghamalum South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 10, 2012 1:47 p.m.

First Round of the 5A playoffs,

Region 1 plays Region 2
    I dont expect any team from REGION 2 TO win a playoff game.
    (Maybe HUNTER might snag one from Davis or Layton)
    Granger got owned by 50 points to 3A Juan Diego,
    Viewmont has got beat badly to!

Region 3 plays Region 4
    -Meaning many fun games for first round,
    Jordan vs (Riverton/PG)
    Alta vs (Riverton/Pg)
    Brighton vs (LP OR bingham)
    Cottonwood vs (Lp or Bingham)

This does stink!
    Syracuse wins REGION 1, and could face region 3 #2 (Alta ) second round...... REDEMPTION GAME FOR THE HAWKS
    Bingham will face Brighton first round, then will face Region 2 winner (hunter) or region 1 #4 (layton)

• d0wns0uth Hurricane, UTAH
    Oct. 10, 2012 3:27 p.m.

Dont worry about Dixie dropping off the top 25. We all know what they are capable of. Dixie has had its hands full with the strength of the schedule unlike some teams playing cheerleaders to stay undefeated. Everything will be sorted out soon enough. I cant wait this year to see who is crowned with all the talent. Last years game was SF and Hurricane and to bad they meant before but for me that was the game.

• H-TownTiger Hurricane, 00
    Oct. 10, 2012 3:47 p.m.

@binghamalum

if you don't know how good or bad teams like pine view or dixie are then don't even try and sound like you know what you are talking about. dixie and pine view DO win their games. Juan Diego may win....so can hurricane, or SF, or Dixie, or any other playoff team. it's what the playoffs are for, no one in region 9 has ever been cocky enough to say anything like "hurricane, or dixie, etc is going to win the title" we have never overlook the northern teams especially juan diego and spanish fork, and even stansbury. we are allowed to talk highly about our own teams without putting down others. we talk highly about our region, because our region (which produced 3 semi final teams) is arguably even better than last year. So of course we are gonna root for our teams...it's called school spirit.

the way you say that Juan Diego is going to win is both petty and rude (not saying they wont), but it shows that you have no respect for other schools showing support for their teams.

• mab93 Provo, UT
    Oct. 11, 2012 7:45 a.m.

@WXcat

Region 8 has a similar situation. If Timpanogos beats Orem region 8 will have a three way tie for second. They lost by one point to Maple Mountain without a star player and I think he is supposed to be back for the Orem game. Go Timpanogos!! Go Woods Cross!!

• amanap Washington, ut
    Oct. 11, 2012 10:13 a.m.

@jomomma

Coaching. PV has had probably 5 teams in the past 10 years that should have won state but didn't due to coaching. The coaches are un-disciplined and un-smart most of the time. Maybe we should stop looking for people to come help our team and start being disciplined with our own young guys coming up...

• Digs Dickshooter, ID
    Oct. 11, 2012 11:00 a.m.

Good luck Diggers! Should be a good game. Is Cavendar or Moss playing this week? Diggers are 6-1 against the Bengals the last six years. I hope they make it 7-1 tomorrow night.

• OneManWolfPack St George, UT
    Oct. 11, 2012 12:07 p.m.

Good luck to Desert Hills and Hurricane tonight. I hope it is a great game. Both schools leave it all on the field night in and night out.

• Jo Momma CEDAR CITY, UT
    Oct. 11, 2012 12:40 p.m.

@ amanap
    Cedar isn't doing good this year but i like our coaches. we will take state next year.

• Parry is a Farce Layton, UT
    Oct. 12, 2012 7:53 a.m.

binghamalum (I'm 1 too)

In region 3, there will probably be a 3-way between WJ/Cottonwood/Brighton. The tiebreaker will likely involve a playin game. Bingham could therefore draw anyone of them in the first round.

In Region 1, Layton beat Davis, So unless Davis upsets Northridge and Layton lays an egg against Fremont. The second round game for the Miners will be the winner of Davis/Hunter.

Although the Miners get a share of the region crown with a win over PG next week, they will get the #2 seed because of the loss to LP. I think that #2 draw might be better as they likely host Davis in the second round (I agree that it is a long shot that any region 2 teams win in the first round) and end up on the opposite side of the bracket from LP and Alta (the 2 teams that have demonstrated that they can beat the Miners) and Jordan (the top rated team). Beat Syracuse at RES (a tall order) and we are playing for the trophy. How fun would a Bingham/Jordan championship be?

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Oct. 12, 2012 12:45 p.m.

@ proudbigbrother

Defense wins Championships...Syracuse has the best defense in 5A....besides Cavander and Moss are out which favors the Titans....

Jordan still has the horses to run, baring any upsets come Playoff time. Which is why I picked them 3rd....

Playoff time is the greatest time of the year!

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    Oct. 14, 2012 10:45 a.m.

We always hear a lot of big talk about the st george schools being the strongest in 3a for football and since they are legit in student size really 4a schools they should do very well

Of course we know Hurricane are legit 3a size and for a public school of that size a great program