BYU football: Taysom Hill may get his first start against Hawaii

Comments

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 27, 2012 7:38 p.m.

????
    What does this article give us that hasn't been hashed over and over in other articles? I really don't see any new information here other than Hoffman trusts Hill.....

• nunya sacramento, ca
    Sept. 27, 2012 8:21 p.m.

not only is there NO new information......but it also has Doman talking about offense being easy....how pathetic, he can't call a play to save his life and he's talking about it being easy. I'm sure he's a great guy, but an OC....not good at all. Oh, and lest I forget...Webber is just as bad an O-Line coach as Doman is an OC.

• Dixie Dan Saint George, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 8:21 p.m.

Why isn't 5th year qb James Lark given a chance to start? He has been on scholarship for 5 years and, other than carrying a clip board, has not done anything to warrant being on scholarship and getting a free education.

• gbo Draper, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 9:09 p.m.

Please pass the ball!!! Throw it to Hoffman, Apo, Friel, Wilson, and use the talent that's there. If a couple of yards is needed, let the running backs get it. Keep the QB healthy. If he has to scramble, great. Let's NOT run him by design. BYU isn't built for that. Throw the ball!!!!! The run game will open up and then Hill can stay healthy.

• Hatch Sandy, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 9:32 p.m.

Dixie Dan I totally agree. Just last December Bronco told Lark and the public that Lark was one play away from his lifelong dream of playing quarterback at BYU. Lark also passed on scholorships to Stanford and other PAC schools to play at BYU. After five years of working and waiting Lark gets passed over at the last minute for a talented freshman.

Bronco says he values hard work and loyalty. His actions show otherwise. Lark earned a shot. It's disgraceful to see this treatment.

• t702 Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 27, 2012 10:33 p.m.

the seniors ain't good now and future, time to move into the future

• slcftball Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 10:58 p.m.

They obviously can't give a rip about Lark. Sad really. I would turn in my Jersey and tell them thanks for all the years and summers broken promises.

Sorry Lark. I feel for you. Not even given a chance is the sad part.

• Troy06 OREM, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 12:05 a.m.

I have the inside scoop and I'm sure Jeff Call does also. Hill is starting. They've prepared all week for it. Jeff doesn't want to share what he knows because he doesn't want to make Bronco and BD upset. But my inside source confirmed its Hill starting the game. Hopefully this will be the end of Riley. I won't even begin to hint who my source is - I don't want them to get heat over the leak.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Sept. 28, 2012 2:08 a.m.

Bronco's comments make no sense at all: holding out all week and practicing the iffy Nelson with the 1st team won't prepare us as well as practicing the healthy QB all week with the 1st team. The common denominator here in our problem is Doman. He did the same thing last year to Heaps who crumbled after the first month of play. No preparation, doesn't know how to call plays, not the right guy to teach our QB's. Please, please hire an experienced OC - don't hand the keys to a kid who's never driven before.

• liberate Sandy, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 4:17 a.m.

I guess they've determined that Lark can't run the option so it's time for Hill. Here's some advice, shelve the option and use the quality receivers you have to THROW the ball down field.

• Lightening Lad Austin , TX
    Sept. 28, 2012 7:12 a.m.

I love Riley's moxie and spirit, but his lack of velocity or flatness (as opposed to rainbow-like, wounded duck) on passes longer than 25 yards not so much. The fumbles and INT's are fun and make the game really interesting for the other teams fan, I can live without the self destruction that is part of each game vs a decent team. In light of the fact the guy won't be back, would it not seem reasonable to get a very gifted Freshman started onto what I know will be a glorious career? I'm all for being nice but I my only desire for the football team is to win, to represent the school with class and dignity, to graduate players, and to develop fine men to go onto great things in life. Winning is Job #1, I certainly have little confidence in Bronco's gameday critical decisionmaking, but I'm not an Organizational Behavior person who strongly believes that winning or losing is decided on the practice field before the game. I think winning or losing can be reduced to no more that 5 important choices during the game itself.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Sept. 28, 2012 7:52 a.m.

I love Hoffman's quote. Nice to read he's still on the team. I haven't heard much about him the last few weeks! Talk about a team in offensive disaray. In Hoffman and Apo, you've got two pretty skilled players that you can't get the ball to. But at least we get to see Doman called his new found QB Draw play time and time again. Come on, Cougs. Let's get this ship going! Memo to Coach Bronco: Please go for the PAT this time around ... if we score.

• Bear Somewhere, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 9:03 a.m.

Hoffman's quote is the new information that comes out in the article. I like the quote and if you read between the lines he is saying Riley can't throw me the ball and Hill can please start him.

• Madden Herriman, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 9:32 a.m.

Huh? Bronco says "If he's close to being able to go, we'll play him." So if he can't quite play, we'll play him anyway? I am BAFFLED by the decision-making here. He is hurt, sit the guy. It isn't worth a permanent injury to him and another poor outing from our QB.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 9:33 a.m.

I trust T. Hill and make sure he starts. R. Nelson, look at Broco eyes that you won't play tonight. I trust Hoffman believing in T. Hill.

That 95 yards he was very panickie half way there but after that he was getting more time looking for his receivers which show things starting to clicked as a Offensive Team. It was too bad some OL Guys wasn't on the ball for two point conversion. He will be fine tonight and ESPN guys will be happy.

• IDC Boise, ID
    Sept. 28, 2012 9:34 a.m.

Enough about Lark getting the shaft. This isn't little league. Most teams have 3-4 qb's and most of them don't get real playing time. Go with whoever is the best now and gives BYU the best chance in the future. I think that is Hill. Hopefully the pressure and inexperience explain his inaccuracy against BSU. Go Cougars.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 9:52 a.m.

Please win tonight cougs. You need to do better so that it means more next week when the Aggies shut you down. It is not that fun beating a lame horse.

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Sept. 28, 2012 10:16 a.m.

Troy06

Thanks for the confirmation that Hill will be starting.

Brandon, Bronco, and Hill have been hinting as much all week, but for those who are complaining about Brandon and Bronco being wishy-washy about deciding, it was obvious to anybody who could read between the lines, that the decision to start Hill was made last week. However, there's no upside for BYU to announce that decision publicly.

• UTOutlaw North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 10:20 a.m.

Aren't true freshman right out of high school? His last start was 4 years ago, how can he be a "true freshman"?

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 10:38 a.m.

IDC

"Enough about Lark getting the shaft. This isn't little league... Go with whoever is the best now and gives BYU the best chance in the future. "

Couldn't agree more.

Although I admire Riley's grit, Lark's dedication to BYU, and Bronco's loyalty to Riley's hard work, Bronco needs to decide what's best for the program now and in the near future. It's time to forget about politics and play whoever gives BYU the best chance of winning NOW and next season.

• KBomb ,
    Sept. 28, 2012 1:09 p.m.

I agree with everyone who pleads for BYU to pass the ball. I prefer Lark in there because I think they will pass the ball more with him in there. BYU is wasting some of the best talent that weve ever had at the receiver position....real sad. Doman needs do dig a deep hole and BURY the Riley Nelson playbook. PASS PASS PASS the run will open up as they pass. The option isnt an option as it has been stopped all year.

If Taysom can throw the ball throw him in. If not give him back to Stanford. We need a QB

I agree that Nelson is on BYU's internal Injured Reserve report and that Bronco wants to keep Norm Chow in the Dark. Problem is is that he's already said that he's going with Taysom as the #2 because he can keep the plays the same.

No real advantage. If they are preparing for Riley they are just preparing their defense to catch some Balls.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 28, 2012 1:34 p.m.

Utah State did well with a freshman quarterback last year. Our freshman quarterback is almost twenty two years old, and I think could be ready to take over.

How old was Heaps?

• CanuckFan Vancouver, BC
    Sept. 28, 2012 1:39 p.m.

I feel for Lark as well, but has the coaching staff really decided that the O-line is so weak that they MUST have a running quarterback? i.e. if they put Lark in, he'd be sacked too many time?

• DOM Ivins, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 2:02 p.m.

Bronco needs to act like a coach, he's been out coached in the 2 losses this year and now he's saying an less than perfect quarterback would do better than a backup. Good Grief Charlie Brown, Lucy always pulls the football away every time. . . . your just to predictable. To Mr. Lark, make some cookies for your Coach and OFC, maybe they'll play you.

• Bear Somewhere, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 2:57 p.m.

I don't get the advantage of not saying Taysom is starting. They are the same type of players so the defense will prepare the same. The only thing they might change up is the defense may not spend so much time learning to catch the ball. If it was between Lark/Munns and Riley/Taysom then the defense would need to prepare differently. Just make a decision that gives BYU the best chance to win. I'll give you a hint anyone of the 3 but not Riley.

• 86&90UTE Holladay, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 3:05 p.m.

BYU'S is favored by 27! Does it really matter who plays QB??

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 3:16 p.m.

I think any QB could beat Hawaii. I think they could put Riley in a back brace and crutches tonight, and they would still beat Hawaii. Poor Chow was left nothing. Nevada DBs were baiting some passes and then jumped the short routes for interceptions. Losing 69-24 on the islands--ouch!

This looks like a repeat of last year. Heaps played the big games and lost, so they put Riley in for the "murders row" of the WAC and cleaned up and everyone thought he was great. Hill will probably look great tonight, but so could any intramural flag football player.

Well since Lark isn't getting any playing time, when Hill loses to ND, GT, Oregon State, and possibly USU and SJSU, who is next on the depth chart (4th and 5th)? Who will BYU fans be cheering to go into the game? Where's this year's Thomas Young?

I think some patience with Heaps--with some play calls from an OC that isn't a running QB could have yielded better results this year. Oh well, should be yawner tonight anyway.

• oldtimeftballer Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 3:18 p.m.

Lark getting the shaft you diagree with? it isnt little league? huh?

The most popular guy at BYU is always the back up QB. Lark didnt get the shaft because he was never even introduced to the shaft. He never even got a chance!!! thats the whole issue. How can BYU hose over a kid that bad? I understand if he was given a chance and didnt perform then got buried on hte depth chart. But not even a chance after being there 5 years to an unproven Freshman that hasnt played in 4 years?

But what are all you band wagoning loving the next QB fans going to do if Hill sucks it up and throws 5 INT's? You will all call for Lark! Most of you loved Riley after Wash State. Now you want a change. You want Doman, Weber and Bronco gone. Most of you need to get a clue.

Hawaii is awful (69 points by Nevada) so I could play good against them. Which sets up all you know more than Bronc-ites to yell for Hill and bench Riley forever.

BYU fans are classic. May the whining continue....

• Utehaterforlife Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 4:17 p.m.

Why is BYU even running the option, the QB just gets hurt, and it hasn't worked yet for BYU this year. The only reason to not play Larks is because the offensive line is so bad they can't keep people from the back field and thats why they need a more mobile QB.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Sept. 28, 2012 5:15 p.m.

I hope Hill starts so that the Aggies will have more film on him for next week. Hawaii is a very poor team and regardless of who starts, the y will roll. Either way, go Rainbows!