BYU football notebook: Riley Stephenson's punts pack a punch

Comments

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 26, 2012 9:08 p.m.

Ziggy Ansah is the BEST NFL prospect on this BYU football team. He is a beast! Physically and raw talent-wise, he has everything an NFL scout is looking for. He'll do very well in the NFL combine and go high in the draft.

What about Van Noy, you say? I am a huge fan of Van Noy and he has a huge impact on the success of BYU defense, but I just think he is too small to get much attention from the NFL. He should get drafted, but I don't think it will be very high.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 27, 2012 6:24 a.m.

Sorry ida, but I have to disagree with you. KVN is the best NFL prospect on the team, but Ziggy is right up there. I'm just hoping KVN comes back for his Senior year. We are going to lose a lot of our D line and LBs next year.

• agb Layton, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 7:05 a.m.

My punts would pack a punch too if I punted 9 times a game.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 7:12 a.m.

Riley Stephenson is the Cougar's best offensive weapon this year.

• No U Won't Reality, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 7:41 a.m.

I'm not quite sure that the quantity of punts has anything to do with the quality of punts. But nice try anyway.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 27, 2012 7:42 a.m.

agb

Sorry, weak sauce comment. More punts just validates how good you are, or are not, as a punter. If you were trying to dig at the Cougars, see "Pipes" comment.

• agb Layton, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 10:58 a.m.

No U Won't / Y Dad Y Grad:

Little slow on the uptake eh? Let me help. The more you punt, theoretically the better you get.

No dig on the Cougars, but the lack of offense is frustrating. Just calling a spade a spade.

• Amorphous Saint George, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 11:28 a.m.

A. Riley S. is punting well and that's great, but the fact that we're reading an article with punting praise in the title is a sad commentary on the state of things, speaking strictly as a football fan.

B. Riley N. is absolutely correct, James Lark is class personified. I am so happy that I got to see him light up Utah for two years in high school but so disappointed, after he has elevated himself in strength, speed, passing accuracy, everything, far, far beyond what he was capable of back then, the rest of you are not being allowed to see it too.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 27, 2012 1:20 p.m.

"My punts would pack a punch too if I punted 9 times a game ......"

I doubt it, agb Layton, UT.

• CG Orem, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 7:03 p.m.

agb

"My punts would pack a punch too if I punted 9 times a game..."

extremely doubtful

However, for a "little slow on the uptake...", see mirror.

Riley has 20 punts in 4 games for an average of 47.30 yards per punt.
    Sellwood has 18 punts in 4 games for an average of 47.83 yards per punt.

Both, BYU and Utah have excellent punters.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 27, 2012 7:13 p.m.

agb

Ohhhhh, now I get it.

Really, not so much. More 20 yard punts don't make you a better punter. More 50+ yard punts validate that you really can punt 50+ yards.

But it's okay, either way, having one of the best punters in the nation is an honor you'd really rather not know about.

• agb Layton, UT
    Sept. 27, 2012 9:59 p.m.

Y Grad/Y dad:

You make your point well: having the best punter isn't an honor we want to have.

Here's to turning things around against Hawaii