Utah Utes football: QB Jon Hays to get redemption shot against ASU

Comments

• SoCalUtahFan Irvine, CA
    Sept. 19, 2012 7:35 p.m.

Hays is a real QB this year.
    Tough one too.
    Let's hope the O-line will provide better QB protection.
    Go Utes!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 8:19 p.m.

I'm seriously impressed with Hays's progress. Coaches have done a great job at developing him into an average QB - and I mean that seriously.

With John White, a stellar defense, and overall pretty good receivers/tight ends, I think we'll be ok with an "average QB"

USC lost - I like our chances in the South.

• Mesa Coug Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 19, 2012 8:21 p.m.

ASU is gonna clean you clock. I see the U only getting about 3 wins in PAC12play.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Sept. 19, 2012 9:13 p.m.

@Mesa Coug

Wow...if Utah only gets 3 wins in the PAC12, what does that say about your beloved Cougars who can't even beat Utah?

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 10:55 p.m.

@Mesa Coug

If I were you, I'd be worried about Utah State cleaning BYU's clock.

• mountainflying Logan, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:16 p.m.

I'm thinking Boise State will certainly clean BYU's clock tomorrow night.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 20, 2012 12:34 a.m.

byu's 3-6 heading into November....SJSU gives them loss #7 and renders them bowl-ineligible...Bank on it.

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Sept. 20, 2012 3:35 a.m.

I love when Cougies come onto a Utah article and "predict"...cleaning a clock?? Does that mean Utah loses by 100? 50? 54-10?

Define clock cleaning Mr. Cosmo-type.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Sept. 20, 2012 7:03 a.m.

I have watched Hays' progress and have been extremely impressed with his character, work ethic, and attitude. How many guys could have done what he has done under those circumstances? He just grinds it out a day at at time and if he does get discouraged he certainly doesn't let it get him down for long. Hays is the epitome of inner strength and mental toughness. What a great example for youngsters (and oldsters as well)

• Go Utes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 10:17 a.m.

Congratulations, Jon Hays, for your efforts. It was great to see you play last Saturday. You play exciting football and show great toughness. Good luck this week and the rest of the season. Ute fans are all behind you.

GO UTES!!

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 20, 2012 10:21 a.m.

I have an idea that might turn Jon Hays senior year from "great job in a tough situation" to "most improved player in the conference." Two words--"Devonte Christopher." Please, please, please--find a way to get the ball to this player. He doesn't drop balls. He does things after he gets the ball. He is a big time receiver. I love Dres Anderson and Kenneth Scott, but Jon Hays has proven he knows how to get the ball to Devonte. He needs to do it more often. Good luck in Tempe, Utes! This will be a really great challenge--but if you pull it out, I like your chances for winning the South.

• cedarcityute cedar city, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 10:44 a.m.

Keep up the great work, Hays. All the above comments are right, we are behind you 100%! Our chances are looking good against ASU and I'm hoping you can get some redemption against these guys.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Sept. 20, 2012 10:45 a.m.

Mesa Coug,

You may be right, Utah may only win 3 games in the PAC 12, but then what does that say about your Cougars?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 20, 2012 10:51 a.m.

The devils will cause an interception.

• Utahman4ever FORT HUACHUCA, AZ
    Sept. 20, 2012 11:38 a.m.

Hays has shown steady consistent play, great arm strenght and a fabulous work ethic and most importatly he knows the offense! Additionaly the team seems to realy like him as the QB (energy level picked up the minute he took the field in Logan. Unfortunately for Hays it all hinges on the O-Line and being able to run the ball. If Utah can figure this out they will be a dangerous team. If not it will be a very dissapointing season.

• ImaCaMan Oceanside, CA
    Sept. 20, 2012 12:34 p.m.

I always thought that he had the potential and tools to vastly improve over last year. What I really admire about him is that while relegated to 4th string in pre-season you never heard one gripe from him. This kid is tough, has character, and now the experience to get the job done. I too believe if he had been the starter from the get go we'd be
    3-0. Go get'em John.

• cedarcityute cedar city, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 1:59 p.m.

@utahman4ever

I have been very impressed with Hays' ability to keep the play alive even with the o-line collapsing. Of course coach Whittingham is going to work very hard on the o-line and keep them improving so Hays can have better pass protection. But, props to him for keeping plays alive and connecting with receivers even when he knew he was going to take a big hit.

• Mesa Coug Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 20, 2012 2:50 p.m.

Robin and U90

That would mean that if the Y were to lose to Oregon we would both have won a third of our games against PAC12 teams.

Also, if any of you looked at were I am from I can comment as a fan of Arizona teams as well as BYU.

• Mesa Coug Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 20, 2012 2:59 p.m.

I too believe that Hays is a better QB that Wynn. Had Wynn played on Saturday we would have probably won. Hays took some shots that would have taken Wynn out but he got up and kept going.

• cedarcityute cedar city, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 3:15 p.m.

Wynn did play like he was made of glass....but those were some very painful injuries, and I'm sure all of us on this page couldn't even hack the first surgery so props to Wynn for sticking with it. I'm just a bit disappointed in the coaching decision to play him anyway.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 20, 2012 4:36 p.m.

Jon Hays has stood strong despite his circumstances. I don't know if he comes up big Saturday or not, but I am very grateful to have him as our Ute QB.

Last year Hays was in a no win situation and he won. This year White IV is banged up, the O line is in shambles, and again, Hays fills in without preseason reps and looks good to win again.

Challenges still abound for Hays. Utah has a new offensive coordinator and position coaches. Through all of this, Hays just keeps doing his job and believes in himself when others wouldn't. His attitude is unbelievable to me. Hays stays positive and ready to roll rather he is the starter or not.

• Proud Ute ,
    Sept. 20, 2012 5:24 p.m.

@Gdog,
    "Now Hays is again the unquestionable starter. He better stay that way unless injured. Wilson can be the future later on. Now is Hays time. The coaches and fans need to get behind Hays and support him through thick and thin. Most likely Utah isn't going to be undefeated in the PAC 12 or make the Rose Bowl (though I hope). Still Hays is the guy. He deserves it and he's earned it."

Well said, and Hays has earned it. Call him what you want trolls but the guy is tough as nails and class through and through. Proud to call him the QB.

I just he doesn't get turned on by the fans like Riley has.
    Got to feel bad for a guy who goes from hero to goat so quickly.