BYU football: Big East hung up on 14th member

Comments

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:08 a.m.

Here we go again!

Prediction: BYU "fans" will begin commenting about how they like their Irrele....errr Independence and how great it is to create their own future and not have to answer to anyone. Then, when a deal is struck these same "fans" will be giddy about the opportunity to be in the Big Least.

• mightymite DRAPER, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:10 a.m.

If the distressed big east cannot even unify and accept you then byu is in some trouble. Bad decision over the past several years and now you see what you are left begging for. This is a very sad state that the cougs have pushed themselves into.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 11:16 a.m.

BYU to the Big East?
    Maybe?

If....

1-BYU keeps it's own Network...
    2-BYU controls Home game rights
    3-BYU keeps same day re-broadcast rights
    4-BYU keeps exclusive ESPN deal or equal to it's financial benefits.
    5-The Conference secures a Major Bowl tie in.

*Sunday play will not be an issue.
    *Air Force and Army must both join.
    *Air Force to the WCC for their other sports.
    *Some Big East Home/Home Basketball games with the Football schools.

Get these guarantees and BYU would have to really consider signing up..

New Name a Must....

Cincinatti
    Louisville

Nice Symmetry!
    Championship Game....Yankee Stadium or Jerry's World

Why NOt?

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 19, 2012 12:07 p.m.

------------

The Big East is only an option if BYU keeps home television rights and the right for same day rebroadcast, something that should be easy to negotiation if the Big East television contract is with ESPN.

A Western Division with

BYU
    Air Force
    Boise St.
    San Diego St.
    SMU
    Houston
    Cincinnati
    Louisville

would be an exciting division and renew rivalries with AFA and SDSU.

If it happens, I'd prefer an 8-game conference schedule to provide enough flexibility to schedule Utah and Utah State, plus a couple of other OOC games each year with teams like Notre Dame and Texas.

A basketball scheduling agreement for 2 to 4 home-and-homes with Big East teams each year would be nice, but not essential.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Sept. 19, 2012 12:49 p.m.

"Why do our jealous BYU-possessed little brothers even bother to comment on such articles?"

"Little borhters?" Ha! Out out of 11, my friend. You've been owned for over a decade now.

Jealous of what? Your Big Least opportunity? Ha!

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 1:00 p.m.

Just say No.

• Whoa Nellie American Fork, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 1:03 p.m.

Mightytite,

Where in this article does it state that BYU is asking to be invited? You are extremely ill-informed about BYU sports. They are not begging for anything. Perhaps you should find a team to support that matches your expectations.

• ImaCaMan Oceanside, CA
    Sept. 19, 2012 1:12 p.m.

Bluto and Phoenix- take a deep breath. What part of "football only" don't you two understand? Yeah, they'll agree to all of those consessions. ha! BYU is hyper-demanding themselves into oblivion. It's too late; that conference-thing train has left the station.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Sept. 19, 2012 1:18 p.m.

I can only comment for myself, but:

The Cougars have never been my favorite team, but that doesn't mean I don't have interest in how/what they do.

I graduated from BYU before attending medical school at the U.

When LDS men talk sports, 90% of the discussion revolves around BYU.

This sounds meaner than I intend, but watching BYU navigate the sports world in the last five years has been kind of like watching a soap opera.

-They leave the MWC, fueled in part by Utah's jump to the Pac 12. That's not just the opinion of Utes fans, but that of the national media, including BYU alumnus/ESPN talking-head Trevor Matich.

-They flirt with the WAC before declaring independence.

-They turn down the Big East, largely because the conference won't agree to BYU dictating broadcast rights to their potential conference-mates.

-BYU loses 4 of the last 5 to the Utes, but the Cougar faithful insists that their team is better.

So the bottom line - I am not jealous, but I DO find watching BYU intriguing!

• Mesa Coug Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 19, 2012 1:20 p.m.

I still do not think the Big Least is the best option. I wouldn't mind an agreement with them like ND had with the ACC. If we could schedule 6 games with them in October and November that would be fine. Especially if we could get annual games with Boise, Air Force and San Diego State. If we do join the conference there has to be a lower penalty to the football only schools to leave the conference.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 3:38 p.m.

Why does this concern utah "fans"? I would have to see details before I would say 'yeh' or 'neh' but my initial reaction is no, I'd rather see them remain independent. I like it.

Oh by the way devlishute, setting up a strawman like you attempted where BYU fans can neither be 'in favor' or 'opposed' without you painting them as hypocrites for whichever side they take is not only lowclass but actually pretty weak. We all saw through it immediately. But based on what appears to be you attending utah and asu, the 2 lowest rated academic institutions in the pac12 with the lowest entrance standards, it is apparent where you learned to try and form a 'debate'.

LOL!

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Sept. 19, 2012 4:29 p.m.

"But based on what appears to be you attending utah and asu, the 2 lowest rated academic institutions in the pac12 with the lowest entrance standards, it is apparent where you learned to try and form a 'debate'."

Funny, coming from someone without a college degree.

By the way, I attended ASU for MBA school. ASU has a top 25 MBA program.

LOL! Try again.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Sept. 19, 2012 4:32 p.m.

"Why does this concern utah "fans"?" says the guy that has commented on every Utah article since 1932.

duckhunter, thanks for putting a smile on my face. I haven't smiled this much since Saturday.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Sept. 19, 2012 4:38 p.m.

By the way, Ducky, my point is that BYU "fans" will be hypocrital about the situation. I've seen it on here repeatedly whenever rumors of conference affiliation have been mentioned. I wasn't trying to start a "debate," as you say.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 5:12 p.m.

@u90

Comprehension liitle guy, comprehension. I want to know why it concerns utah "fans" that BYU may do something. Not if you are interested in what BYU may do.

The definitions.

1. To have to do with or relate to:
    2. To be of interest or importance to:
    3. To engage the attention of; involve:
    4. To cause anxiety or uneasiness in:

I'm wondering why it concerns utah "fans" based on the 4th definition "To cause anxiety or uneasiness", not #2 "To be of interest or importance to".

Why are utah "fans" anxious or uneasy about this? Don't say you aren't, we all know that you are. For some reason any talk of BYU going to a conference gets all of you worried. Well it worries me as well because I want them to remain independent but I think the worry for utah "fans" is not the same.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 6:19 p.m.

@ Bluto 11:16 a.m. Sept. 19, 2012

"The Big East has one ace to play, the fact that it is the Best Basketball League in America..............."

You would be 100% correct if you really truly honestly meant the ACC.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 6:26 p.m.

per Utah'95 on Sept. 19 at 1:18 p.m

"but I DO find watching BYU intriguing!"

You could use the same excuse for rubber necking at a traffic accident; Whats your point? Sarcasm off?

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 6:49 p.m.

Ducky funny!

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Sept. 19, 2012 7:35 p.m.

Duckhunter,

I for one have always hoped that BYU would join a BCS conference. They have the credentials to be in one of the big 6 conferences. And while I believe that they are one of very few programs who can do well as an independent, they would be better served in a top tier conference.

---------------

Hank Pym,

I thought about the "traffic accident" analogy, but decided against it. But like I said, I was trying not to be mean....

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 19, 2012 8:04 p.m.

BYU to the Big East (football only)? Riiiiiiiiight!

With an upper limit of only $6.5 million per team from ESPN (and possibly ONLY $3 mil), those numbers definitely don't improve BYU's independence numbers much, if any. It's certainly way less if it's the lower number.

So, BYU won't even consider the Big East in football membership because it'd cause BYU's SOS to be watered down when conference membership no longer guarantees a "BCS bowl" slot (in only two years!). There's no chance of playing good enough teams by being stuck with left-overs and promotees for MOST of your games. Scheduling made easier? Sure, but at the cost of a decent SOS.

I can't believe ANYONE is still talking about BYU and the Big Least. I'd be dumbfounded if the BYU brass were even giving it a passing thought, let alone serious thought.

It's either independence or the Big XII (or Pac 12---again, riiiiiiight!).

BYU's always said it's about exposure and not money. We just might see how truthful they were sometime in the near future.

• AZ Dave Chandler, AZ
    Sept. 19, 2012 8:37 p.m.

"They'll crawl back once the TV deal is done," the source said. Begging is so unbecoming

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Sept. 19, 2012 9:03 p.m.

WhatsInItForMe,

Let me point some things out regarding strength of schedules for BYU and the Big East teams:

Last year, BYU's SOS was 90. Every team in the Big East played a tougher schedule.

In 2010, BYU's was 55. The SOSs in the Big East ranged from 38 to 75, and two of the teams played more challenging schedules than BYU did.

In 2009, 7 of the 8 members of the Big East played tougher schedules than BYU (SOS 61) did.

In 2008, all but one Big East team played tougher schedules than BYU (SOS 74) did.

In 2007, 5 of the 8 teams in the Big East played tougher schedules than BYU (SOS 59) did.

That means that in the last 5 years, the Big East teams have played more challenging schedules than BYU did 29 of 40 times.

The losses of Syracuse, Pitt, and particularly West Virginia will weaken the conference, but the additions of Houston, UCF, and particularly Boise State, will soften the blow.

If you want to argue that the Cougar shouldn't join the Big East, make it for some reason other than strength of schedule!

Might I suggest "travel?"

• No Conference Will Take Us SEATTLE, WA
    Sept. 19, 2012 9:18 p.m.

What could have been.

Had everyone stayed in the MWC that left or is leaving. They could be well on their way by now to writing their on ticket. I think years from now college football analysts will be saying just that - what could have been.

With that said, I pass on joining the Big East. It just does not make sense at all. Perhaps in the next few years things might change with the Big 12 or even the PAC 12. Never say never. The football landscape is changing.

• Mesa Coug Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 19, 2012 9:20 p.m.

U95, once SOS becomes more important in the 4 team playoff it should not be as difficult to schedule teams in the big 5 conferences. They will all be dropping their div 2 teams. I still wouldn't mind some kind of scheduling deal with the big east without becoming a member.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 19, 2012 9:41 p.m.

@Utah'95

"So I do not feel any "anxiety" about the Cougars MAYBE joining the Big East, or more preferably, the Big 12."

Then you are just about the only Utah fan that doesn't, and I'll tell you why that is.

Myself, well utah's conference affiliation is of no consequence to me, and I prefer BYU's independence. I've wanted them to be an independent for 30 years. It has finally happened and it is starting to shape up very well. I'm not the type to quit something after only 2 seasons especially when I see the type of schedule they have put together for next year.

I do not worry about BYU. I believe the board of trustee's, which is the quorum of the twelve, are inspired men. The decisions they make for BYU are the ones that should be made. I'm very happy with where they are now.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Sept. 19, 2012 10:20 p.m.

Duckhunter,

My point exactly.... why do you comment on every Utah article (pick one, 2 or 4)?
    2. To be of interest or importance to:
    4. To cause anxiety or uneasiness in:

• AFCoug Colorado Springs, CO
    Sept. 20, 2012 1:31 a.m.

Wow, I'm glad the BYU-Utah game has been put on hold for a few years after reading this board. Sure would be nice if both fans respected the other instead of taking offense at every little thing said. Just consider the source of the sarcasm and you'll realize no response is really needed.

That said the real point of the article is usually missed on these message boards because of the bitter Ute and Cougar fans. Is BYU better off in the Big East than they are as an independent?

There are certainly benefits to both but I fear if BYU does not get into a conferance soon scheduling will become near impossible. As conferances grow smaller conferances get shut down and more conferance games are played leaving fewer out of conferance opportunities. This makes scheduling more difficult or potentially impossible in the future, thereby leaving BYU irrelevant in the future because they cannot #1-schedule good competition, #2-poetentiall not even schedule an entire season.

A Big East with BSU, SDSU, BYU, Houston, Louisville, etc is going to be at least as good as the ACC. I say go now before it is to late.

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    Sept. 20, 2012 8:07 a.m.

Duckhunter

"The majority of utah "fans" suffer from a major inferiority complex in relationship to BYU. They claim they don't but they do. They see being in the pac12 as a means of claiming superiority over BYU and are afraid to lose that."

Well put.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 8:52 a.m.

@Ducky and Riddles in the dark

Scoreboard....Get use to it

Big east, independent who really cares. My true honest opinion the Y needs to stay with a weak schedule to keep their fan base intrigued and happy. By scheduling 2-3 good teams a year they can continue to put up 9-10 win seasons and the Y fan's will be happy. Something about a 9-10 win season with no major wins and a sub par bowl game keeps the Y fan's intrigued. Not knocking on it whatever works I guess. So if I was the Y I wouldn't change the recipe to that formula. If they increase the SOS they will start getting beat quite often and the fan base will revolt. If holmoe and bronco are smart they won't change anything they cannot compete with good teams consistently. If the SOS increases in 13/14/15 it will not be pretty in happy valley.

• WhatsInItForMe Orem, Utah
    Sept. 20, 2012 9:12 a.m.

@ Utah'95 - 9:30pm

Why are you comparing BYU's past SOS numbers to the Big East? Apples to oranges now that BYU can set their own opponents as an independent (thus its recent schedules are bunk for comparison purposes). And, for many of those recent years the Big East SOS was based on teams that are no longer there.

You wasted a lot of print making a nonsensical point.

And no, Houston and UCF won't "soften the blow." Those are the "promotees" I was talking about.

And "travel"? No idea what you're referring to, considering BYU's independence schedule will have about the same amount of back-East travel as being in the Big East would.

I stick by independence or the Big XII. Really no other options, especially with "the big four" conferences scheduling inter-conference games with each other to improve their SOS ratings (B1G with Pac12, SEC with Big XII).

Notre Dame realized the Big Least is dead by moving its non-football sports to the ACC, which conference (without an inter-conference deal) is fast becoming the little brother of the BCS. The Big East is now the MWC in status.

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    Sept. 20, 2012 9:19 a.m.

Nurse Ratched!
    Nurse Ratched!

Some of your patients are spinning again. Another loss to Utah and they still can't accept the direction their BYU football prgram is going. On the outside looking in.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 12:12 p.m.

"Why does this concern utah "fans"?"

Ducky:

Hah! You were one of the first y "fans" to post on a recent story exclusively about the Pac-12 in order to belittle it. So in your little (campus is our) world, everything about Utah's conference affiliation concerns y "fans", but nothing about about the y's affiliation should concern the Utes?

Typical y "fan" hypocrisy.

LOL, indeed!!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 4:48 p.m.

@u '90

And my point about utah "fans" being "concerned" has nothing to do with you commenting on an article about BYU, I LIKE when you guys comment on BYU articles. Very entertaining. I has everything to do with all of you being absolutely scared to death that BYU may make a move that trumps utah. You live in constant fright of that happening. And so I am there to expose you.

That is all there is to it.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 5:38 p.m.

Here, here! Well said Duckhunter!

Count in me in this category as well. The day the Ute "fans" grow up and move on to the conference they said they were moving to will be a happy day. Until then I can expect these "fans" to continually compare every achievement (if it happens) to BYU.

BYU's legacy lives on in spite of a few upsets that the Utes claim as some major superiority in football.

All other sports... please take a number. (except gymnastics)

• NightOwlAmerica SALEM, OR
    Sept. 20, 2012 7:49 p.m.

Duckhunter said:

"I comment on utah articles bcause it bugs the living stuff out of you and every other utah "fan" out there. No other reason, that is the only one.

That is all there is to it."

Well it's official. You have already admitted to living on this website. And now admit to being a troll.
    Nice.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 20, 2012 10:35 p.m.

"You live in constant fright of that happening."

Ducky:

Wow, a full-time y "fan" troll AND a psychic!

One thing I do not worry about is that you and sam might actually make sense.

LOL, indeed!!

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 23, 2012 11:17 p.m.

Ducky and sam

You have been served for what you really are. Jealous trolls that cannot stand your own football program so you need to bug the living stuff out of us Utah fans that get to watcxh OUR team compete in a real confrence, with real champions, with real oppurtunities to play for something, against real NFL caliber players, you play for nothing, everbody at the Y gets a trophy because you play the game to just play. BYU CANNOT BEAT UTAH, enjoy that Hawaii game fellas