BYU football: Errors catch up with Cougars

Comments

• BYU Joe MISSION VIEJO, CA
    Sept. 16, 2012 1:32 a.m.

Another great game. Lets not ruin it by speaking ill of each other.

I offer my hand and congratulate the Utes on a great win. Until next year I wish you good luck.

This was one for the ages.

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 2:32 a.m.

This is where the excuses will start to flow, and I will say it again BYU cannot beat UTAH.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Sept. 16, 2012 2:50 a.m.

Don't know if Utah "won" so much as BYU gave the game away.

Take away BYU's mistake of the bad snap/fumble/Utah recovery/TD and BYU wins.

Not only that but if the ball were 6" to the right and the game goes into OT my money was on BYU to win because by that point in the game, momentum was rolling in BYU's favor.

Too bad the Utes are too "afraid" to play us for the next 2 years....

GO COUGARS!!!!!!!!!!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 16, 2012 2:56 a.m.

Rivalry stats. Outside of 1984 ya'll, the last 20 years has seen Utah go 13-7 vs. BYU. The Cougars still have 1984, but that is not their best team in my opinion. I will take the 1996 Cougars Cotton Bowl year. Yes Utah has two BCS bowl wins, but the parameters in 1996 had the Cotton Bowl like a BCS game. It wasn't the big payout, and it was the bowl coalition then. BYU was left out, but got the next best thing in the Cotton Bowl which almost became a BCS bowl later on. 1996 was a great season.

Still Utah has the edge the last 20 years, the edge (record wise) overall as well.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 16, 2012 2:58 a.m.

Utah State missed a last second FG against Wisconsin. Aggies could be 3-0 and ranked. Too bad.

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    Sept. 16, 2012 3:07 a.m.

I like the excuses. Riley's back hurt. we were sloppy, etc. etc. The best one I've heard is Bronco told the kicker to miss because they didn't want to play on Sunday. Tired of hearing BYU beat themselves. It's not how many mistakes you make, it's how you bounce back from your mistakes. Every team makes mistakes every game. BYU got beat pure and simple.

• mtseatss Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 16, 2012 6:37 a.m.

Both teams are awful. Never have I been so disappointed in a win. Utah was clearly more athletic and yet Whittingham's "play to keep from losing" offensive mentality kept BYU in the game. Ridiculous. His offensive play calling leaving Utah with second and nine got old fast. Then there was fourth and twelve with seconds left - are you kidding me? Utah is in for a very long season after it dives into PAC12 play against teams that match its athleticism. As for BYU, with multiple turn overs that they "luckily" recovered, they are simply not that impressive. The heavens did everything in its power to hand them that game and they still couldn't win.

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 7:11 a.m.

Great teams force Errors. Cant spin it any other way.

We own you Band of Little Brothers

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 8:45 a.m.

Nelson has cemented his legacy ay BYU. He will never be listed among the greats. Nothing he does this year will redeem him from losing his senior year to Utah. Bring on the freshman!

• Black&Blue St George, Utah
    Sept. 16, 2012 10:01 a.m.

No excuses for the loss. If BYU can't win a game the officials pretty much gift wrapped, they do not deserve a win. Utah had 4 starters out, including its starting RB and both starting safeties. And still found a way to get it done. Seriously, I am impressed. I give Utah all the credit for getting the win.

That being said,
    Riley Nelson is TERRIBLE. Passes were wobbly and inaccurate, horrible decisions. He was mentally and physically dominated by the Utah defense, and you could see it in his face. There is no excuse for 8 false start penalties, and a blotched snap returned for 6. The O-line is weak. We have some seriously talented skill position players, but no QB to get the ball there, and No line to make holes. The offensive play-calling is painful to watch, and Bronco's emotionless blank stare on the sideline tells it all. It's pathetic really. It is becoming glaringly obvious, BYU has reached it's ceiling under Bronco.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 16, 2012 10:06 a.m.

Early Merry Christmas Utah
    You're Welcome

--BYU

• gonefishn Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 10:20 a.m.

@ Bleed cougar blue
    Your statement is ridiculous. Star dominated your center and was in the backfield all game. Why all of the sudden are snaps going askew? It's not a coincidence.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 10:29 a.m.

@ BleedCougarBlue

Really? If you want to go that direction; What about Pass interference on Hoffman's TD reception... Michael Irvin couldn't have done any better.

@ mtseatss

Agree. K Whit keeps channeling his inner Tony Sporano and/or Dave Wannstedt. As a Dolphins fan, that worries me... alot!

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 12:15 p.m.

News for both Utah and BYU

Both of you are not very good and the best quarterback is in Logan.
    Watch as the season unfolds the win/loss record.
    Nelson goes two more games and gets replaced.
    #72 on Utah's return team, runs down field a little more cautiously from now on.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 1:09 p.m.

BYU football: great people but the team is not very good.

• Jonathan Eddy Payson, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 3:17 p.m.

Aside from BYU's offense being afraid of Utah's defense two years straight (they should be), BYU's corners giving Utah's receivers 10 free yards on every down made Jon Hayes look like a first round draft pick. Van Noy is the only bright spot for the men in blue.

BYU should be grateful that Utah is kind enough to give them a bye for the next couple of years.

Very ugly Bronco.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 3:21 p.m.

This was an incredibly inept game for BYU, and even at that they had their chances, probably should have won. But they didn't and it has to be blamed on the coaches. Why Bronco thinks that he doesn't have to take this game seriously and get his team fired up for it is beyond me. The pessimist in me say's that he really prefers to lose this game just because he dislikes the fans so much and wants to put them in their place. Of course that isn't the case but he is definately wrong in how he prepares his team for a big game. It is also time to replace Weber, he is a terrible offensive line coach, extremely bad.

I'm not really sure why BYU plays this way against utah, I was not impressed by utah at all, but for some reason it is in the BYU teams head and untill Bronco coms down off of his high horse and admits his approach to this game is terrible we are going to continue to see results like this.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 3:52 p.m.

@Duckhunter

When playing the "you didn't beat us, we beat ourselves" game, why would you stop at the coaches? Who hired these coaches? Why BYU can't hire better coaches? Why can't they play in a BCS conference? Why can't they recruit, and retain the best players?

Of course once you undertake a more accurate, holistic analysis, simple explanations like "it was Bronco's fault" don't tell the whole story. BYU is beating itself alright, but in many ways.

By the way, the "talent gap" is beginning to become apparent (to those who will see) and I expect will become more apparent in the next few years.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 5:40 p.m.

@1aggie

So are you claiming that BYU didn't perform horribly? Are you claiming utah performed well? Neither of those is the case, in fact as I said it is exactly the opposite and yes I put the blame on the coaches.

But please tell me where was this so called "talent gap" apparent to you? Was it the utah wr's? They performed far worse than the BYU wr's. Was it the rb's? Once again BYU's rb's out performed them. Was it the rushing defense? Uh BYU's was unquestionably better. Was it the Passing defense? Who held who to less yards?

BYU actually had the edge in every statisical categorie, although admittedly the most important one, the final score, they did not. But please explain where this "talent gap" was evident? I'm confident you cannot and are just blustering away. We'll see the aggies in a couple of weeks and we'll see if there if you try to claim a non existant "talent gap" there as well.

• Troy06 OREM, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 6:10 p.m.

I agree with you Duckhunter.

This statement about Riley kills me. I admit I am the anti-Riley. But he truly needs to step down from the starter role.

"Nelson, playing with an injured back, completed 17-of-35 passes for 206 yards and two touchdowns."

If he has an injured back why is he playing? Doesn't Bronco have a responsibility to keep his QB safe? I understand Riley will play injured or not. But if reporters, coaches, players, and fans are blaming Riley's poor performance on his back injury, why was he in the game? We don't have a prayer against the tough teams ahead if our QB can't perform.

Wake up BYU and bring in Andy Reid. Maybe Provo can help him through the grieving process with his son's passing.

Bronco this not just another game. You're inability to coach in pressure situations is embarrising for the program.
    Please fix it!

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 8:01 p.m.

@duckhunter

HAHA! even aggie fans are telling you the talent gap is showing hahahaha.

"But please tell me where was this so called "talent gap" apparent to you? Was it the utah wr's? They performed far worse than the BYU wr's"

uhhh up until that fluke 47 yard play on 4th and 13 utahs wr's were outperforming yours. but dont let that fact get in your way of making hilariously stupid comments time and time again.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 8:34 p.m.

@aportsfanforlife

YOu realize utah could easily wind up with a losing record this year don't you? That isn't just some BYU fan pipe dream, that is cold hard reality. It was a 3 point win and BYU missed as field goal to tie the game. utah never once drove the ball the length of the field for a score, not once. Their scores came on 3 short fields and a botched snap they picked up and ran in.

I can certainly understand you wanting to get your licks in on BYU fans but when you charge someone with making "stupid comments" you probably ought to look in the mirror.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 8:47 p.m.

@ Duckhunter

I know that yes you put the blame on the coaches. But why just the coaches? Are the BYU players so immature that they can't motivate themselves for an in-state rivalry game? And shouldn't the people who hired (and keep paying) the bad coaches have some blame too?

Utah has 22 current alums in the NFL, BYU has 7 (ha ha... yes 7).
    Utah has won 7 of the last 10 encounters and the last 3 in a row.

• CrimsonUte Pocatello, ID
    Sept. 16, 2012 9:03 p.m.

This is becoming an annual refrain, even from the sports writers. "Utah didn't beat BYU, the Cougars beat themselves!" Give me a break. Both teams had good plays. Both teams made major mistakes. Both teams had bone-headed penalties.

The bottom line is BYU had three tries to put the game into overtime at the end and couldn't do it. Utah won the game.

Anyone who says one team dominated over the other, or one team made more a ton more mistakes than the other, or one team self-destructed, is disillusioned and completely biased.

• Jazzsmack Holladay, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 10:11 p.m.

The fact is there is very little "talent" difference between BYU and Utah,

the big difference is coaching and coordinating.

the BYU offensive line coach is just bad,
    the line has talent but they are wer bad last year and now this year,
    it's coaching,

BYU must be passing team to have any offensive success, by atleast ration of 60/40
    they must average atleast 12 yards a pass for real offensive success
    that is coordinator problem , BYU is not an option team nor a running team even inspite of having an occasional really good running back

as a coach Bronco is great defensive cootdinator when not running the garbage he ran a new mexico.

but the offense has never been motivated or inspired.

and they have the wrong quarterback (a bad coaching decision). Lark should have been the QB last year and be the QB this year

BYU fans are tired of low scoring offenses, losing to the best teams, and especially losing to the U or only just barely beating them sometime (they haven't had a dominant win in over a decade and a half), and no BCS bowl game ever.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 16, 2012 11:00 p.m.

@Jazzsmack

"The fact is there is very little "talent" difference between BYU and Utah, the big difference is coaching and coordinating".

I think "talent gap" much more plausibly explains the 22 current Ute NFL players to 7 Cougs.

We saw how a healthy Utah team performs against BYU last year. This year we saw that a hurt team can still beat a healthy BYU team.

• cowboy99 South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 1:39 a.m.

The only talent gap I saw was BYU's being a lot better that Utah's with the exception of the defensive line.

What I saw was a better team playing scared. Scared of what?! What's going on in the team meetings that makes them play so scared!? How come the coaches can't prepare them better?

The U's offensive line is really bad. BYU got a lot of pressure and sacks and they don't ever do that not even against Weber State. BYU's o-line is really bad at run blocking but do an ok job at pass-pro but Utah's can't do anything.

Overall BYU is a talented team with ZERO attitude and will continue to pump out 10-3 seasons.

BYU will win out the rest of their games except will lose to Notre Dame cause they will play scared and Notre Dame looks pretty good this year. They will also lose to Georgia Tech because Bronco has a history of being baffled by the triple option.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 8:26 a.m.

@1aggie

Past players now in the nfl is irrelevent to the players that currently constitute these teams. 3 point games are indicative of close overall talent levels although not the only factor. Anyone watching the game saw that BYU's defense was extremely fast and very good. The FACT that utah never put together a sustained scoring drive indicates that BYU's defense was vstly superior to utah's offense. The FACT that BYU had several sustained drives against utah's defense is prrof that there is no talent gap there.

What BYU seems to lack is confidence and fire. I'm not sure why that is but I tend to attributethat to coaching and the attitude the coaching staff takes toward game preparation. I am a football coach and in my opinion utah's staff does a much better job of preparing their team emotionally than BYU's staff does. This gives utah a decided edge.

In the years utah has better talent that edge results in decisive victories. When BYU has better talent the games are close but BYU generally wins. When the talent is even that is utah's edge and they win, like this year.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 17, 2012 8:35 a.m.

Neither team looked very impressive. If both teams continue to play like that, Utah will be lucky to get a bowl bid and BYU will not make my 8-4, worse case scenario. (I picked them to go 10-2, but 8-4 was worse case scenario.) I congratulate the Utes on the victory. Star was amazing. I really thought we'd be able to neutralize him like the Aggies did.

Were the refs replacement refs? They were awful for both teams.

What was wrong with Nelson? Not only was it the worst game I have ever seen him play, but his charisma / leadership was gone by half time. I watched him from the third row last year in the Armed Forces game, and I knew we were going to pull out a game winning drive. He was motivating his team on the sidelines. Against the Utes, his head was hung in defeat when the score was 7-7. BYU's offensive line was terrible.

Nelson's 4th and forever throw to Hoffman and the drama at the end, made it an exciting game. Two out of three years, we lose because of a field goal.

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 8:59 a.m.

ducky

No Blechen,
    No Rowe,
    No John White, No problem.

The Utes best talent at critical positions were on the sidelines and they still beat the "talent" laden cougs. "Realize" that!

Go Utes! ASU is next.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 9:11 a.m.

@Duckhunter

If you want to do a minute by minute talent analysis I suppose it's your prerogative, but that is clearly not what I was talking about in my original post when I said "the "talent gap" is beginning to become apparent ... and I expect will become more apparent in the next few years." Utah was holding out two of its biggest stars though and had they stepped onto the field I suppose it would have blown up your analysis. But clearly I was talking with longer perspective.

I am reminded of the story of the blind men and the elephant. You are like the blind man holding the tail of the elephant and asserting that elephants are like snakes while avoiding all evidence to the contrary. This explains why you will not answer my questions to you.

For somebody with perspective and a long-term view, I can see that except for a 20-year aberration (when BYU had one of the best coaches ever) BYU has always lost three quarters of its games with Utah. It was always that way and it is that way now. The Brethren (many whom are Utes) are comfortable with that.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 9:33 a.m.

BYU's defense did fine, except on the long TD pass. The offense was uninspired. Doman's play calling really stunk. He kept running that option play that did exactly nothing. BYU obviously didn't plan this game well. Bronco will make all the CEO talk about not executing, etc. I'm frankly sick and tired of hearing that. I want to hear Bronco say that it was his fault due to not emotionally preparing his team for the game. Game preparation involves more than X's and O's.

Doman appears to have the same problem his predecessor did. Go conservative in a big game. Utah had too good of a defensive line for Nelson to try to live in the pocket. Should have put in more misdirection plays, roll outs, and plays that are designed to freeze up a line like Utah has. Again it appears that Doman needs some schooling on being an offensive coordinator.

Nelson does it best when he's on the Jazz. Should have utilized #21 more.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 1:14 p.m.

I would like to replace the word "are" in my last post with the words "seem to be". There's an important difference and I did not mean to say that I know what they think.

• Provo4Life PROVO, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 2:24 p.m.

The biggest mistake was inserting Riley Nelson into the game and promoting him to the status of legend. He is a below average qb with a lot of determination. That means nothing in football! His ball is so wobbly, it really is crazy. Doman was a horrible play caller. If you are going to run the option, use a bigger, stronger, faster qb that can throw ie, Hill. Also, start Williams at tailback. Anyone that thinks Alisa is a quality option doesn't know football. Alisa is slow, slow, slow. A temporary fix for last year, but top talent should play. That is why bronco will never take us (BYU) to a BCS game or compete nationally because he plays on merit rather than skill. 8-4, just like I predicted.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Sept. 17, 2012 3:01 p.m.

"The biggest mistake was inserting Riley Nelson into the game and promoting him to the status of legend."

High comedy! The same thing happened last year with Hypes!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 4:09 p.m.

@1aggie

Oh if we all had your wisdom. I think what is apparent here is that you are simply a "fan" and have no real knowledge of football or talent. You see when a person is actually capable of making true analysis of what occured in a game and why it occured then they are able to have actual coherent opinions. When all one is capable of doing is claiming "20 year abberations" or "the brethren are fine with it" one exposes oneself as not really knowing anything. That is just commentary pitifully designed to elicit an emotioanl response.

Real analysis is this.

utah never once sustained a scoring drive. BYU did. utah gave up more yards defensively and more points defensively. utah scored less points offensivel and gained less yards offensively. This would indicate BYU's talent, now and for the future, you know LONG PERSPECTIVE, is equal to if not greater than utah's.

utah won, good for them they should be happy about it, but things happen and studying why they did is best left to thinkers. You should just spend your time celebrating.

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Sept. 17, 2012 4:27 p.m.

Duhkunter

"Regarding the talent gap, let's examine some objective facts. Utah was playing without their original starting QB, without their star RB, and without their star safety. BYU had all their "stars". Yet Utah won. Other objective facts indicating a talent gap may exist:
    Utah has 22 current alums in the NFL, BYU has 7 (ha ha... yes 7).
    Utah has won 7 of the last 10 encounters and the last 3 in a row.

I assume BYU will not be "up" for the Utah State rivalry game because, according to your logic, said players are not capable of motivating themselves and Bronco doesn't do it. So Utah State should handily beat BYU."

aggie 1 had some facts wrong. It's not one starting safety, it's 2, both of whom were Freshmen All-Americans and instead of 7 of the last 10 it's really 8 out of the last 11. Despite all of these starters missing from the game, Utah still won. Unfortunately for you, when I correct his inaccuracies, his case becomes even more compelling. Please respond to this post and quit avoiding it like you have for the past several exchanges.

• dnay Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2012 5:15 p.m.

It's funny how proud the Utah fans are after this victory. If it were the other way around I wouldn't say anything knowing that I didn't win the game but happened to come out ahead. Your proud of a win after the gifts you were given and you still almost lost, actually if that had been reversed BYU wouldn't have just won that game, it would have been a 2 touchdown victory, and if it wasn't I'd been embarrassed not coming on here saying how great we are. It's amazing you guys talk about this like they controlled the game from start to finish, your blind to the fact you got lucky to win. I didn't brag up how great BYU was when the Cougars beat Tulsa last year. It was a victory I was happy, but I also realized we could have as easily lost to a team that we should have beat further. You all claim to be realistic and say it how it is, but you can't see this game for what it was a game you were very fortunate to win PERIOD!

• DevilishUte Tempe, AZ
    Sept. 17, 2012 6:12 p.m.

dnay,

You have proven yourself to be a true BYU fan. Using the "if" to explain away a loss.....

"If this" or "if that." I love it. Count how many "ifs" you used in your comment. Ha!

Utah did not have its starting QB, star RB, and 2 starting safeties and still won. I am especially pleased with the clear trend being established - 8 of the last 11 and 3 in a row.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 18, 2012 2:26 p.m.

@ Duckhunter
    Thank you for your entertaining display of insecurity. I do not coach lttle league (or whatever) football like you, but I have an excellent facility for numbers and statistics which (I refer you to the book "Moneyball") can be very valuable.

A law of coaching, investing and many other disciplines is not to extrapolate too many conclusions from one game/investment/etc. as you do in your "real analysis". My analysis, which draws on many games and trends (e.g., all the ex-Ute NFL players) is not only more valid, but has gone unanswwered by you, along with my original question of why you only blame Bronco for BYU's inept results.

• dnay Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 18, 2012 9:46 p.m.

DevishUte It would have been better to have your starting qb, and your right they have won 8 out of the last 11, that makes sense when it's always the most important game of the year for the Utes, I guess BYU should put more emphasis on the game. Believe me I thought the Cougars stunk up the place they even came out flat, now I don't think they'll do as good this season as I thought, bottom line were not very good right now, watching that game made me realize that. That should also tell you where your Utes are, since we still had a chance to win playing like that.

MLH - The Cougars can't beat the Utes? Hmmm is that why your fans storm the field? do they do that with everyone that can't beat them? Here's a fact If Utah didn't have those mistakes BYU made they would have lost, so yea they won but Utah has to have Turnovers to win, BYU wins easily if the turnovers were equal. So Utah can only beat BYU when they benefit from the turnovers! That should worry you!