Faith

Brother Bill? Clinton says he investigated Mormonism

Comments

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 12, 2012 3:31 p.m.

You know Clinton is leaving himself wide open when he comments on the rightness or wrongness of religion. After the Lewinsky affair, I'm surprised to think he is actually going to be in heaven.

• Dave D Pocatello, ID
    Sept. 12, 2012 3:44 p.m.

3grandslams,

I seem to remember a story about a woman taken in adultery. I can't quite remember the ending, but I think the same book says something about the ability of men and women to be forgiven. What is the name of that book?

• terrywbis WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Sept. 12, 2012 3:58 p.m.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Slick Willie might be more concerned about being left behind than leaving anyone else behind. I seriously doubt that Heaven is any place for adulterers.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Sept. 12, 2012 4:03 p.m.

3 grand slams
    People make mistakes. Wait, it's that what Christ told us?
    Clinton is a angel compared to Obama.
    Believe it.
    Obamas aren't mistakes with morals, rather purely insane elite attitude and hatred of the USA.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 12, 2012 4:03 p.m.

@Dave D

I'm not sure of the name of the book either, but I think its the same one that says "judge not that you be not judged."

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2012 4:20 p.m.

@Henry Drummond
    But aren't you judging someone who is judging someone who is judging Bill Clinton? For that matter am I judging you for judging someone who is judging someone who is judging Bill Clinton?

@Aggielove
    "rather purely insane elite attitude and hatred of the USA."

Well that's just silly.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    Sept. 12, 2012 4:21 p.m.

"hatred of the USA" where in the world do you people come up with this stuff?

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Sept. 12, 2012 4:31 p.m.

Too bad he didn't stick with it. He had a lot of talent. He wasted a ton of it.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Sept. 12, 2012 4:37 p.m.

He stopped investigating after the 4th discussion where it says you can't smoke weed (inhaling or not) or have extramarital relations (including White House interns).

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Sept. 12, 2012 4:51 p.m.

Please tell me that all of you that are posting these pious judging comments are not LDS. Not that I would expect more from LDS, but this is an LDS paper and an LDS related article and yet some of the comments are not the kind of comments that I would want to hear from my fellow members of the church.

So while you were all passing judgement, did you not notice that what he claims he was taught is not what the church teaches? "Zeke Miller, reporting for BuzzFeed, added that the "two or three Mormon missionaries" teaching young Clinton described heaven "as a pyramid with many levels that put Hitler and Stalin at the very bottom, faithful Mormons on top, and everyone else in between." Sadly these missionaries were teaching an opinion, not doctrine, no one knows for sure where Hitler and Stalin will be, they too have a chance to repent. Also, there will be many people, besides faithful Mormons on top.

Question, is a faithful Mormon one that passes judgement?

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2012 4:54 p.m.

Wow, as a Mormon, I'm still shocked that we feel we can assign people to Kingdoms. I think we'll be surprised who actually is in the Celestial Kingdom.

Once the majority of Mormons become less judgmental, I think more of us would actually be happier, more loving people and perhaps the outside world might view us more favorably. JMHO

• Ironmomo Ogden, Utah
    Sept. 12, 2012 5:22 p.m.

Sounds like a lot of people on here want to pull that mote out of Clinton's eye...

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Sept. 12, 2012 5:30 p.m.

Quite honestly, I am disgusted by some of the comments of my fellow "Saints" on this article.

• Californian#1@94131 San Francisco, CA
    Sept. 12, 2012 5:34 p.m.

You should have stuck with it, Brother Bill! You would have discovered that the objective of the gospel is not to leave all those friends behind, but to do everything possible to bring them along with us.

• JDL Magna, UT
    Sept. 12, 2012 5:40 p.m.

I'm calling the former president out.

I don't believe he ever studied Mormonism with any intent on joining. His comments are made up for political purposes.

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2012 5:46 p.m.

I wonder what Bill's friends thought about this: "He didn't want to go to Heaven and leave me. Am I to be happy that he wanted to stay with me, or upset that he thought I was not going to heaven?" Greater love hath no man than this that he give up his life for his friend. This is probably not the intended context.

I don't think Clinton has done anything for which he can not be forgiven and thus get into Heaven. But, that doesn't mean he's not going to catch flak from us in mortality until that time. And that may not be the christian thing to do, but hey it's fun and he earned it.

There are two reasons for everything: first, the one that sounds good and reasonable that we tell people, and the second, the true reason.

I think were getting the first in this article.

"It wasn't the religion's beliefs, it was all those rules."

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 12, 2012 6:01 p.m.

Open mouth - insert foot. Nuff said.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    Sept. 12, 2012 6:35 p.m.

@atl134

You have demonstrated why that particular scripture is NOT about judging others,

but is about being a hypocrite!

The scriptures, in context say God MUST judge us as we judge others else we will be guilty of hypocrisy,

therefore judge righteously!

That is what those scriptures are all about,
    why no one gets it is puzzling.

except the desire to want to point fingers.

@Californian#1@94131

You nailed it. God does not want to leave anyone behind, but agency means we must be held accountable for our choices and actions.

@Dave D

Christ never forgave the woman as the story is recorded (he would not immediately condemn her and punish her according to the law of moses), he simply said go and sin no more. If she repented she would then earn forgiveness according to the new law.

Lets's understand and get the scriptures right and not just flippantly, ignorantly and unrighteously judgingly throw out scriptures.

• liberate Sandy, UT
    Sept. 12, 2012 6:35 p.m.

As a devout practicing Mormon I will say Mormons are among the most judgmental and critical people out there. If you don't believe me, ask yourself what your first thought is when you see a woman walk into a chapel with a sleeveless dress. Ask yourself what you think when you see an adult man with his shirt unbuttoned from the top two buttons but no sign of anything underneath.

We are happy to pat ourselves on the back for our adherence to the word of wisdom, law of chastity, etc., but forget the very basics of the Gospel itself, charity and service of those around us. It will be interesting to see who really does make it to the top.

• Al Thepal Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2012 7:45 p.m.

Mormons should not be as judgmental as they are, I agree with that. However, I think I have seen just as much people be judgmental against Mormons as Mormons being judgmental. As for the questions raised by liberate, I personally don't really think anything when I see those people. I have not gotten to know them, so how can I judge them? That is honestly my first thoughts, however I will admit that it didn't used to be.

Bill (or the missionaries that taught him) frankly got the idea of the Kingdoms of Glory wrong. You don't actually have to be a Mormon in this life to go to the Celestial Kingdom. Those who accept the gospel in the post-mortal Spirit world have the same opportunity as those who accept it in this life. I actually believe that there will be far more people in the Celestial Kingdom who were not Mormon in this life than those who were, considering the very very small percentage of the World's population that is/has been/will be Mormon in this life. The atonement of Christ extends beyond the bounds of this mortal life.

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2012 7:50 p.m.

If Bill goes to the Celestial Kingdom (anything is possible, he still has the chance to repent of his sins and accept the Gospel, either in this life or the Spirit World, and it is not my place to judge where anyone will end up even when I am polar opposite politically and think some of the stuff he has done in is life is disgusting), he actually wouldn't have to leave his friends behind who don't make it to the Celestial Kingdom, because those in the Celestial Kingdom can visit those in the lower kingdoms.

• jim l West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 12, 2012 9:31 p.m.

Boy, this isnt the first time bill has gotten something wrong.

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Sept. 12, 2012 9:43 p.m.

I personally believe that every one of us - everybody - will be surprised at what heaven is. Indications from Joseph Smith tells us that even the Telestial level of heaven (you know, where Hitler and Stalin are believed to be headed) is unfathomably more glorious than the veil of tears we currently inhabit.

Further, as the article mentioned from the LDS Newsroom, the highest levels are for everyone that wants them. Making the Celestial glory is not like trying out for your high school basketball team, with the less capable getting cut. Basically, all honorable people who are valiant in the testimony of Christ make it. I don't know of any time limit for those that are moving forward. God is not going to say, "sorry bub, you're moving too slow, you're done."

But I have observed a social phenomenon that I'll call the National Enquirer effect. People love to see celebrities get their comeuppance. Readers feel that their lives of quiet desperation are brightened when the rich and famous have to endure indignity. Clinton is rich and famous, and the thought of him going to hell sounds really great to some people.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Sept. 12, 2012 9:55 p.m.

In the next life we will all associate with those with whom we are most comfortable. And we will be happy to be with them and not others that would make us uncomfortable. Who makes us feel comfortable being around says much about us, not them. JMHO

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2012 10:01 p.m.

Mr. Clinton, (for whom I voted), where do you think the Catholics think they are going? Or the Baptists, or the Methodists or the Lutherans?? To the top. I expect every religion to believe their way is the right way, or else, why even have a message or a church? I hear many people tell me Mr. Clinton was a great president, perhaps; yet that doesn't make his 2012 views okay; his endorsing same gender marriage three years ago was a disappointment; same goes for Schumer of New York and Biden of Delaware and Reid of Nevada, they all put law school and popularity over the Bible and principle.

• Sandee Spencer Longwood, FL
    Sept. 12, 2012 10:03 p.m.

I agree we can all work on being non-judgmental! As for having folks come to church that were wearing sleeveless etc. I think that just alerts us to the opportunity to greet and extend friendship to folks that might not be regular attenders. Sorry to hear that President Clinton misunderstood a lot of LDS teachings. A good reminder that we need to patiently explain to those that might not yet fully understand.

• comment Rawlins, WY
    Sept. 13, 2012 1:15 a.m.

To deny that a person needs baptism, would be to deny Christ's words, where He said a man must be born of God (by baptism, and power of the Priesthood, by those who have power and authority to act in God's name)or he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

• daveescaped HOUSTON, TX
    Sept. 13, 2012 5:44 a.m.

It is amazing to me how my feelings toward Clinton have mellowed over the years. He was a talented man. IS a talented man I suppose. He clearly has a way with people and could teach Mitt Romney quite a bit in that regard. So what if his politics are different than mine. I don't have to hate him just because I didn't vote for him.

As far as knowing how he'll be judged, I know he'll get the same grace I desperately need. What that judgement will yield is not up to me.

Personally I can't imagine a ward described by some that judges others so easily. My little branch welcomes a broad range of fashions, political beliefs, family structure, etc. I don't know if living 10,000 miles away from SLC has anything to do with it but it might.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Sept. 13, 2012 6:19 a.m.

Samwise nailed it. Too bad Bill couldn't be told that at the time his concerns first surfaced.

What a remarkable day we have that heads of state and presidents discuss the Plan of Salvation!

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    Sept. 13, 2012 6:54 a.m.

It's funny that people can only remember Clinton for his personal foibles. In my opinion he was the best President from a policy standpoint in my lifetime. He balanced the budget, he reformed welfare, and insured millions of children. But all people can talk about are his foibles. His foundation does more good for more people than any former president I can think of. Not many of his critics can lay claim to doing a fraction of the good this man has done, since his presidency. He certainly made mistakes, and has a huge target on his back. But he stays in the public eye and continued to try to make the world a better place.

• FDRfan Sugar City, ID
    Sept. 13, 2012 7:15 a.m.

This is Slick Willie at his best. He is merely campaigning for anti Mormon (Romney) votes by casting Mormons as elitist "better than you" people.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Sept. 13, 2012 7:19 a.m.

Oh come on. If Clinton was actually investigating, which he wasn't, he would have been more interested in the multiple wives thing.

• elarue NEW YORK, NY
    Sept. 13, 2012 7:27 a.m.

@3grandslams - who knows? If he had joined the church, maybe he could have had the Spirit strengthening him to resist temptation in the first place. ;-)

@Aggielove - Obama shows his love for America by wanting to correct what's wrong with it and make it better. Conservatives show their hatred for America by trying to keep it stuck where it is, if not make it worse.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Sept. 13, 2012 7:29 a.m.

Wow,

Quite the negativity (from many, some took the high road) towards someone who seriously thought about your religion.

Is the bashing because he has some moral failings, (which I assume that you dont), or is it because he is a political foe, or is it because he turned you down?

And I thought religion was supposed to reach out to those with imperfections. Instead, you denigrate.

• Itsjstmeagain Merritt Island, Fl
    Sept. 13, 2012 7:43 a.m.

I was raised a Catholic and still practice my religion through deeds. When I was young (10?), a friend took me to his church; I have no idea now what denomination. It was interesting but missed something. When I told my Sainted Irish mother that I went there, I am happy to report I still have my head.
    It is sad how judgmental people can be. Having the tryst with Monica was a mistake but when you see what the impeachment prosecutor was doing at night maybe you should direct your attention to his failures (Gingrich). Leaving a wife because she was "too ugly to be a first lady"? Just how much of a hypocrite can you be? Maybe the far Right is there just for people like you, makes finding you easier for your brand of god.
    Everyone makes mistakes. As others have said "Judge not least you be judged". Ask your spouse.

• Doug10 Roosevelt, UT
    Sept. 13, 2012 8:12 a.m.

The good thing about this life is we all make choices, mostly based upon our belief system. Were we to truly love ourselves we would be less likely to judge someone else. Too often we judge ourselves by tle laws of mercy and others by the laws of the land.

When we are perfect we are encouraged to become stone throwers, til then we sin when we cast stones or judgement on others.

• AkMama ANCHORAGE, AK
    Sept. 13, 2012 8:21 a.m.

Dear Liberate,

Sleeveless dress, my thoughts? Nonmember or less active, therefore needs someone (me) to make sure to help her feel comfortable and welcome.

Man with buttons undone? No thoughts at all. I don't make a habit of trying to peer down men's shirts.

Love your neighbor. Be kind to all. It's not rocket science and most members I know are doing very well at both things. And the ones who are not? Repeat the first two sentences of this paragraph as often as required.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Sept. 13, 2012 8:29 a.m.

I don't think Brother Bill has a really good history with truth telling. However, if he is telling the truth, it's clear he never received a testimony from the spirit or he wouldn't be saying what he did about the LDS belief in Heaven.

Bill Clinton reminds me of a Shakespearian tragic hero. He had the capacity to be a great president or even a great man. Unfortunately, he has always had a tragic flaw--his lack of character.

Bill's not evil. But, Bill and "The Truth" have, unfortunately, been distasnt strangers for many years.

• pinkbetty san antonio, TX
    Sept. 13, 2012 8:43 a.m.

Seems strange to me that a well-educated person such as Bill Clinton would go out and share such a misinformed explanation about what heaven means to believers of a religion to which he has no affiliation. It seems somewhat ironic that he would purposefully distort any religion when the Barrack Obama, the candidate he endorses, puts out a statement that says, "we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions." His thoughts are incorrect. He knows better. He was purposefully not caring if he offended the LDS people so he could take a swipe at Romney. At this point in the election the masterful campaigner is trying to instigate a defensive response from Romney or, at least, those who support him. Those who point out the obvious about how the commandment against adultery would be a more likely "sticking point" for Clinton are simply falling for the ploy. If someone tries to pick a fight with you so they can bring you down to their level, even if they insult your beloved mother or your religion, it's best to just walk away.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 13, 2012 8:57 a.m.

I'd take Bill Clinton over Hussein Obama any day. I know Bill Clinton loves America. The other guy, I'm just not so sure....

• Liberal Ted Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 13, 2012 8:57 a.m.

@liberateSandy, UT

In your case, you might be judgemental and critical of others. I'm not sure how you know what some 15 Million people think, or be in a position to determine that. What is your reference point? What studies are you quoting?

When I see a woman come in the chapel with a sleevless dress, I walk over welcome her and introduce myself, if she is a member of the ward, I still walk over welcome her and say hi. I think, I'm glad that she came and joined us today. When I see an adult man with his shirt unbottoned two buttons from the top with no sign of anything underneath....I think that man has two buttons unbotton from the top....when I see a man not wearing a shirt, I think that man is not wearing a shirt. When someone passes judgement and uses a sweeping generalization of a group of people I think that person is passing unfair judgement. Hitler blamed the Jews-gays-ethnic groups etc, Demos blame repubs, repubs blame demos, low income blame rich, lazy worker blames boss, unions blame business...you can go on

• ManInTheMiddle SANDY, UT
    Sept. 13, 2012 9:04 a.m.

isn't it obvious to most Mormons that the majority of people in the Celestial kingdom would not have been Mormon in this life? Do the math - it's obvious that Mormons will be a minority there.
    7 billion people in the world today
    14 million Mormons -perhaps 50% make it right? So do you really think that of the nearly 7 billion people in the world today fewer than 7 million non-Mormons will make it to the Celestial Kingdom? You can't possibly think that 50% of Mormons will make it while less than 1% of 1% of the rest of the world will make it.

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    Sept. 13, 2012 9:40 a.m.

One of the very few decisions that I would have agreed with Bill Clinton making in his life.

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Sept. 13, 2012 9:56 a.m.

When one leaves the state of Utah, it will become easier to understand former President Clinton's point of view concerning the LDS/Mormon Church, it's teachings, culture, etc.
    Take a trip, give it a listen at some distant locations.
    Come on back and comment on the DN board. Share your views. We'd all love to hear about YOUR experience :)

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Sept. 13, 2012 9:57 a.m.

"I'd take Bill Clinton over Hussein Obama any day. I know Bill Clinton loves America. The other guy, I'm just not so sure..."

That says infinitely more about you then either of them.

• Serenity Manti, UT
    Sept. 13, 2012 9:59 a.m.

When the Jews brought a woman caught in adultery to Jesus before stoning her according to the laws of Moses, Jesus eventually said to them that whoever among you is without sin, let him cast the first stone on her. The would be stoners went away. Then Jesus asked her if there was anyone left to condemn her. She said, "No one Lord” Then Jesus said to her: "Then neither will I condemn you, GO AND SIN NO MORE." Repentance is for all people. The atoning sacrifice of the Savior is available to all. Clinton may have committed a major sin, but if truly repentant, he could be forgiven and the Lord would remember his sin no more. Now, if only the good Mormon people would remember the Atonement, and the danger of judging others by casting verbal stones, they would be so much better Mormon people. Clinton may not have agreed with those young missionaries of long ago (neither do I because only the Lord knows the intents of our hearts and doesn't put people into pyramids) but at least he listened and maybe he is listening still.

• Cowboy Dude SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 13, 2012 10:21 a.m.

The point Mr. Clinton was making was that Mormons believe that most will go to heaven, even Hitler and Stalin, likely in a lesser kingdom, yet there is a Celestial Kingdom to also aspire too.

I think there are many Mormons that only see the Celestial Kingdom as heaven, while others see heaven as any kingdom prepared by their Father.

• Canyontreker TAYLORSVILLE, UT
    Sept. 13, 2012 10:43 a.m.

Eternity is a long time. Perfection is a long road. I believe there is a path for anyone to get to their choice of heavenly kingdom. The last will be first and the first will be last. Those that accept the Gospel of Christ last will receive all the blessings as the first.

The reason to accept the Gospel early in this life is to make a piece of heaven on earth...to have the blessings of God now, not just after some time of final judgement. Heaven on earth is not made of judges.

It is better to be employed in the vineyard of the Lord than to be in the square wondering if you will ever be hired, even if the payment of one penny is the same.

• tallen Lehi, UT
    Sept. 13, 2012 10:43 a.m.

I really feel bad that President Clinton was given the wrong impression on Mormon kingdoms, I'm not sure if that was a teaching error or an understanding error. The way I understand it is that there are several tiers to heaven. Those allowed to live in the constant prescence of God (the highest tier) will be those who were faithful, good people, who accepted Christ and his atonement either in this life or the next and have recieved the ordinances of the temple. Because not everyone will want to or have the chance to recieve the ordinances of the temple in this life, Mormons perform temple work for the dead that they are free to decline or accept. So while it may seem like Mormons believe only Mormons will be in heaven, our true belief is that anyone can make it and simply being a Mormon will not automatically get you into heaven (you still have to accept Christ and his atonement).

• WMRfan Sugar City, ID
    Sept. 13, 2012 10:45 a.m.

Bill Clinton's era of economic prosperity was largely handed to him, mostly by the Greg Norquest faction. And we know that when Bill Clinton looks the nation in the eye and points his finger, what he says will be the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 13, 2012 10:57 a.m.

re:USAlover

I agree that I would take Clinton over the mess we have now in the White House but what I am disappointed with in Clinton is his ability to be "bought off". Clinton knows that our national debt is going to destroy us and the path Obama has set us on is a disaster . Clinton knows that raising taxes is also a business killer and will cause unemployment to go up substantially. Clinton knows that Bain Capital is a GREAT company and is the engine of capitalism. Clinton knows all these things and has - over the past 6 months - made comments contrary to team Obama. Then comes the DNC and suddenly Bill has changed his thinking??I don't think so. The man and his wife are political players first and American's second and when the political candy promised becomes too tempting to turn away then principles are thrown out the window. That is NOT impressive.

• BigAlvin COLORADO SPRINGS, CO
    Sept. 13, 2012 1:33 p.m.

We should all remember that bill clinton has been known to have memories of events that that never happened. For example, he once stated that he had "vivid memories" of black churches in Arkansas burning down when he was a child. Problem was the state historian and fellow Arkansas democrats proved there were no such incidents during that time period.

Brother bill may be the best politician of our era, which means he is the best liar. So I, for one, don't necessarily believe this encounter ever took place.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 13, 2012 1:37 p.m.

re: Dave D; The Book was the Bible, John 8 to be exact and if I'm not mistaken the story ends with the words, "Go and sin no more." Are you really saying Clinton has repented and hasn't sinned since? Love to see your sources.

You may want to read that great book even further. Saul (who became Paul) had to do a lot of repenting and confessing to the church members of that day because the last thing they were inclined to do was trust him. When Clinton become like Paul, then I'll let him judge me and my religion more.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Sept. 13, 2012 2:04 p.m.

It is hilarious to me that all of these people who claim they are christians on this comment board are saying where Clinton will end up for eternity. As if they somehow know him personally. Also it seems they are stating these things as if they are facts, like they have died before and seen it themselves. We really don't know how it will be there. People make mistakes. It seems they do no believe in repentance, for if they did they would recognize that the sins he has done have been done by many in their congregation. People can be forgiven. It is quite sad, really. One lady even said he will be in the same place as Hitler and Stalin - kind of a stretch, don't you think? Comparing him to 2 murdering dictators... Right. Maybe the judgemental attitude is why alot of people are turned off by the church.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Sept. 13, 2012 2:32 p.m.

It's like saying, "I don't want to go to college because I'll have to leave all my friends who didn't graduate from high school".

Just like the dropout who didn't put in the effort to graduate can't join you as a fellow college student, those who don't accept the gospel and repent of their sins can't make it into the Celestial Kingdom to be with you (assuming you make it there).

It doesn't mean you can't go visit them just like college kids can still visit dropout friends. Never going to college just because all your existing friends can't join you is a poor decision.

• SoCalChris Riverside, CA
    Sept. 13, 2012 3:49 p.m.

It's not too late Bill! Yeah, you'd have some repenting to do, but don't we all.

The irony is that LDS beliefs re the afterlife are the most inclusive of any religion as far as I can tell. No one is condemned if they didn't have an opportunity to hear the Gospel. And we're told that the afterlife will ultimately be a pleasant place, even for those who did awful things in this life.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Sept. 13, 2012 3:52 p.m.

OK, just about everyone here missed the whole point.

This exchange had NOTHING to do with the Church or Bill's spirituality. It has everything to do with Bill doing everything he can do to get his buddy "Big O" reelected.

The Obama administration declared over 8 months ago that their goal would be to discreetly paint the LDS Church as "weird", and hence discredit Romney (and by extension all Mormons).

Dubious recollections which tell half-truths and inaccurate depictions of LDS doctrine fit right into their big picture plan.

• Wyominguy Buffalo, WY
    Sept. 13, 2012 4:08 p.m.

What Really Really Annoys me is how the media and Democratic Party simply adores President Clinton and how they seem to have totally forgotten his immoral behavior while leading the country. Its Never mentioned and the man gets "star" attention! OK, everyone makes mistakes yet Clintons lack of self control is in my view Over the top for any national leader.

As far as LDS people being very judgmental; maybe thats true in UT but in my ward folks are pretty easy going , Wyo folks are like that.

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    Sept. 13, 2012 8:12 p.m.

Brahmabull is right in his assessment. Mr. Clinton has a lifetime to repent of his sins just as the rest of us. His sins are between him and his Father in Heaven. Yes, he may have got some of the teaching mixed up. So what, it really doesn't matter. What does matter is whether he has or will repent, just like the rest of us.

Joseph Smith once stated I believe that we would have two surprises if we make it to the Celestial Kingdom. One surprise is that we actually made it. Secondly, the surprise as to who else made it. Many members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints won't even make it. Many will be in the Terrestial Kingom, in fact this is where the bulk of the membership will be. So before any of you decide who will be in the Celestial Kingdom and who will not need to really understand that the only person you have to worry about is yourself. You can't force your wives, your children or anyone to be there. It is up to their own decisions and mistakes.

• Bill in Nebraska Maryville, MO
    Sept. 13, 2012 8:21 p.m.

There is something else that we as members need to understand and that is we are required to forgive everyone regardless what they have done. We leave major sins such as murder and such in the hands of the law. We don't take into our own hands to become, judge, jury and executioner. Mr. Clinton made his mistakes and though I've never called him my President, he was President of these United States. We all have made mistakes and some of us probably some pretty grievous ones. However, it isn't up to us to say he not done anything to ask for forgiveness. We don't know. As the Lord has stated, "he will forgive who he wants to forgive, as for us we are required to forgive everyone".

We are human. We aren't perfect and neither are the prophets of God. Since, we aren't perfect we can't require someone else to be perfect. However, too many members and probably even myself seem to require it.

• KTC John Wetumpka, AL
    Sept. 14, 2012 8:44 a.m.

Was it the non-inclusiveness of Mormonism, which he clearly misunderstood, that thwarted his progress? Or was it actually his lack of a desire to live the commandment to be sexually pure and chaste? His non-embrace of the restored gospel says much more about Bill than it does about so-called Mormonism.

• kanthony Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 14, 2012 11:05 a.m.

Seems like I have heard these descriptions of our view on heaven before. They come from anti-Mormon literature and films put out by other groups, particularly the Baptist Church, which Clinton is affiliated with. I have family that is Baptist, so I have seen many anti-Mormon literature. "Recruiting Presentations"? Latter-Day Saints don't have those. It sounds like he went to a Baptist revival and heard the pastor say our beliefs about heaven. My opinion is that he is only saying this to get political attention.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 14, 2012 1:18 p.m.

@kanthony
    "Recruiting Presentations"?

I believe he's referring to the missionary discussions.

@KTCJohn and others who made comments along this line
    "Or was it actually his lack of a desire to live the commandment to be sexually pure and chaste?"

Get over yourselves. Seriously. Do you think other Christian churches don't have similar beliefs against adultery?

@Wyomingguy
    "and Democratic Party simply adores President Clinton and how they seem to have totally forgotten his immoral behavior while leading the country. Its Never mentioned"

We haven't forgotten, it's basically impossible to forget it but I have to ask... why does it have to be mentioned all the time and why can't we like other things about Clinton like his speech-giving ability?

• John20000 Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 14, 2012 4:36 p.m.

I knew the comments section would be much more entertaining than this article.