Brad Rock: Rock report: More USU fans would rather see Aggies beat Cougars than Utes

Comments

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 6, 2012 3:03 p.m.

"More USU fans would rather see Aggies beat Cougars than Utes"

Of course.

Beating a legacy program that's been a perennial Top 25 team since the 70's would mean a lot more to Aggie fans than beating a johnny-come-lately program that never accomplished anything of significance on a national scale until 8 years ago.

• BYU_Aggie LOGAN, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 3:10 p.m.

What if you asked the same question to a BYU or Utah student? I think they'd mention SUU more often that USU.

As a BYU grad and current USU grad student, I was completely confused to see how USU students hated BYU and thought of the Cougars as their primary rival when I got to Logan. When I was at the Y, I couldn't remember once thinking about the Aggies in sports, and I couldn't remember anyone ever mentioning the Aggies, other than if we we playing them that week.

On game day, more people wear anti-BYU stuff than USU stuff on campus here (this improved a little with the rebranding, thankfully).

If anything, being in Cache Valley has made me less of a fan of the Aggies than before.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Sept. 6, 2012 3:19 p.m.

@phoenix

"More USU fans would rather see Aggies beat Cougars than Utes"

Of course.

Beating a legacy program that hasn't won anything in 25 years but still thinks it's the best, has hypocritical, holier-than-thou fans, and a coach who thinks he's a general authority would mean a lot more than beating a program that actually respects USU and treats their fans in kind.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Sept. 6, 2012 3:28 p.m.

@BYU_Aggie

"After 3 years, I still can't figure out why all the hate up here. People joke about the BYU honor code and groom/dress standards up here, but 90-95% of students up here live the honor code, wear modest clothing, and are clean shaven."

At some point in your life you'll realize there's a big difference between living that way because you CHOOSE to and living that way because you are FORCED to (backed up by possible expulsion from BYU and/or dad won't pay your tuition any more).

• BYU_Aggie LOGAN, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 3:33 p.m.

@Sir Robin who had nearly stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol:

Your comment lost all credibility when you tried the "respects USU" card. How does buying out the last trip to Logan, and then refusing a home-home deal count as respect? Utah would rather schedule more FCS schools than respect an in-state team with a game in Logan.

Once the current scheduled set of games runs out, you'll see BYU scheduling a 1-1 with USU. Utah may never play USU ever again, probably out of the new, "better than everyone else" attitude, you describe as being BYU's.

• agb Layton, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 3:47 p.m.

BSR:

And I'm even more interested to see if you'll respond or 'runaway' like you usually do.

• ExecutorIoh West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 4:06 p.m.

I didn't grow up in Utah and knew nothing of Utah or Utah State when I decided to attend BYU. With my mother's family from Cache County, I love traveling and spending time in Logan and some of the smaller towns around Cache County.

I attended a BYU/U State football game in Logan a couple of years ago and it made me sick to my stomach how flags, shirts, banners, everything is anti-BYU. Very little actually mentioned U State. Much like BYU_Aggie stated. It is sad and ruined the spirit of the game to see all the hate and animosity, which appears self engendered. I have nothing against U State, in fact I follow and root for their team throughout the year, except when they play my Alma Mater.

To the Aggie fans out there, I love the passion and energy of your team. Good luck tomorrow.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 4:58 p.m.

The WAC powerhouses of Utah State and BYU will provide many great battles in future years, always trying to claim the prize of the second(albeit very distant second) best team in the state!

I'll be in your court aggies, except tomorrow.

Utah 37
    usu 17

utah 31
    byu 10

• Stang08 Cedar City, Utah
    Sept. 6, 2012 5:00 p.m.

Utes would rather beat BYU than Utah. The truth of the matter is USU can't beat either team with the exception of the BYU fluke a few years ago.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 6, 2012 6:01 p.m.

@Chris B.

You forgot to mark it down. You know like when Washington State was going to destroy BYU. What will happen ends up happening, and not usually what we want to have happen. However, if you mark it down, then it will happen right? Manifest it Deepak Chopra.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 6, 2012 6:10 p.m.

I have this feeling tomorrow night will work out too well for utah (university of).

• Utah_State_Fan Logan, Utah
    Sept. 6, 2012 6:15 p.m.

@Stang08.....

Utah State has pretty much beaten BYU two years in row in football. Last year was a fluke win by BYU, everyone knows that.

I know it bothers BYU fans that the lowly Aggies from Southern Idaho can now compete with the Cougars in every sport. BYU fans won't admit to that, they say things like "we never think about the Aggies in sports."

• byufan1993 Provo, , UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 6:35 p.m.

I don't get why all the hype. How is this poll even trustworthy? He asked ten people!!! Yeah that's a good percentage of the student body... NOT. How do we know he didn't ask people specifically wearing anti BYU materials? This poll means nothing. Not even close to a good representation of the student population. Way too many variables.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 6:42 p.m.

Brave Sir Robin,

Do you hate your employer because he FORCES you to go to work everyday?

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    Sept. 6, 2012 7:51 p.m.

@ Stang08

"Utes would rather beat BYU than Utah".

Your statement doesn't make any sense. Why would Utah beat themselves? Do you mean Utah State? Of course we love pounding our little brothers from Provo. It's fun!

"The truth of the matter is USU can't beat either team with the exception of the BYU fluke a few years ago".

EVERY loss to BYU fans is a fluke! What else is new?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 8:42 p.m.

@utah state fan

Uh....usu lost to BYU last year. usu has beaten BYU twice in the last 22 years. I take it you're in to moral victories.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 9:11 p.m.

Phoenix's post leading off these are comments are exactly why people have animosity towards the byu.

Stop playing the holier-than-thou card & I'd bet people's attitudes toward byu would change.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 9:48 p.m.

Goll why do people hate us!
    Were still the best in the State because the PAC11 was afraid to join us.

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2012 11:19 p.m.

timid sparrow

"Beating a legacy program that hasn't won anything in 25 years"

In the last 25 years, BYU has won a Heisman Trophy, two Davey O'Brien Awards, one Outland Trophy, two Sammy Baugh Trophies, and one Doak Walker Award.

By comparison

Utah has never won a single national individual award of any kind.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 6, 2012 11:33 p.m.

"I HATE everything BYU, they are so egotistical and self-righteous. They just lump everyone together and make so many assumptions about everyone else. Oh, and they are soooo intollerant, I just hate every one of them."

There.

Did I get it all?

• indycrimson Franklin, IN
    Sept. 7, 2012 2:55 a.m.

No one that I know hates BYU players or coaches...

No one that I know likes BYU fans...

Read the above for reference points...

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Sept. 7, 2012 4:02 a.m.

Y Grad/Y Dad,

You said the words, but you've got to MEAN it.

• Chris from Rose Park PROVO, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 6:11 a.m.

@Wally West

From my personal experience, I can't say about the distant past, BYU students do not have a holier-than-thou personality. We love BYU, we love the atmosphere, we love that we have devotionals, we love that many CES firesides are broadcast out of the Marriot Center, we love that there will be two temples in walking distance soon, and for many that came from out of state they love that most of their friends and new acquaintances follow the same standards. However, this love for BYU does not translate into thinking less of other institutions or thinking less of people who attend or are fans of another school.

If the attitude existed in the past it has changed now, but you have to be willing to believe that. You also can't take football fanship into account for a holier-than-thou attitude. Every fan is going to love their team and say why it is best.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 6:58 a.m.

@ Y Grad / Y Dad 11:33 p.m. Sept. 6, 2012

"Did I get it all?"

U did.

In fact, your comments are a classic example of what I referred to earlier.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 7:31 a.m.

Some pretty vapid comments from the USU students in the article.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 7, 2012 7:51 a.m.

Wally West

Funny you couldn't see yourself reflected in those words.

Utah'95

Too many others mean those words, and non of you seem to get it. Intolerance? Stereotypical thinking? Arrogance? Hypocrisy? Holier than thou?

Why do I continue to hear these cries from intollerant, hypocritical, arrogant, holier than thou people?

And does this mean that I too am intollerant, hypocritical, arrogant, holier than thou? Only when I respond to these kind of comments.

My wife is right, I shoul just stick with the iPhone app for dnews: no comments to read or respond to.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 8:32 a.m.

@ Chris from Rose Park

You can't see the forest for the Trees.

@ Y Grad / Y Dad 7:51 a.m. Sept. 7, 2012

There are so many directions I could go with this. Needless to say, I'm not perfect & don't take any of this personally or seriously. In fact, posting is cathartic/therapeutic & you are probably thinking that a Utah grad shouldn't have such a big vocabulary.

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    Sept. 7, 2012 8:36 a.m.

Wally West

Sorry, there wasn't anything "holier-than-thou" about phoenix's comment; he simply stated facts that you're unwilling to accept.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 7, 2012 8:46 a.m.

Wally West

Dang! One more preconceived notion about Utah fans I'll have to let go of.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Sept. 7, 2012 8:58 a.m.

@agb

"I'm interested in how you think the Honor Code is forced upon anyone. Going to BYU is a choice, no one is forced to go there."

Or, as one of my co-workers of the BYU persuasion told me once, "my daughter has a choice when it comes to college: She can either go to BYU willingly or unwillingly." Dead serious.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 9:13 a.m.

Facts/Fax are subjective

• Riddles in the Dark Olympus Cove, Utah
    Sept. 7, 2012 9:20 a.m.

Brave Sir Robin

"In my year and a half at BYU (yes, I went there), about half the people I met were only there because that's the only school where their parents would pay their tuition. If that's not being forced, it's pretty close."

Everyone knows that's a gross exaggeration, but even if your "half the people" estimate was even close to accurate, every single one of those students still had the choice to accept their parent's money, or choose to pay their own way with scholarships, grants, and loans to a different school.

NOBODY over the age of 17 can be FORCED by their parents to go to a particular school.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Sept. 7, 2012 9:30 a.m.

Wally West

Fact: BYU has been a perennial Top 25 team since 1977 (18 Top 25 finishes in 35 years, including a consensus national championship and a Heisman Trophy winner, the highest team and individual awards possible in major college football)

Fact: Significant Utah accomplishments on a national scale before 2004? *crickets*

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 9:36 a.m.

Y Grad / Y Dad
    Richland, WA

Need a tissue?

• Jealous U Alpine, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 9:46 a.m.

54-IQ

BYU(10-3) #25 Coaches, #26 AP, #34 Sagarin
    Utah(8-5) unranked, #39 Sagarin

Nope!

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 9:47 a.m.

Brave Sir Robin sounds like someone with a personal grudge and has little sports(manship) interest. No one is FORCED to live by a given standard. Going to the Air Force Academy or a faith-based university is a personal choice as is living by their honor codes. Some are embarrassed (see first sentence) when their discrepancies are exposed.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Sept. 7, 2012 9:51 a.m.

@Wally West

Fact: BYU hasn't won anything significant in 30 years.

Fact: Utah has.

• JustTheTruthMan bountiful, ut
    Sept. 7, 2012 10:04 a.m.

"hasn't won a title of any significance in 30 years'.

Coming from a fan of the 'conference of INSIGNIFICANT champions' we can take that as a compliment! LMBO!

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 10:28 a.m.

timid sparrow

BYU has:

a Consensus National Championship
    a Heisman Trophy
    15 National Individual Awards (nation's best QB, best passer, best lineman, and best running back)
    6 players inducted into the National College Football Hall of Fame

Utah has:

never won a single national award of any kind

Call us when Utah receives its first national award.

• Kaha Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 11:50 a.m.

Marked it Down, I normally don't get into these kinds of arguments, but football is a team sport, not an individual sport. The accolades you listed are impressive, and INDIVIDUALS at BYU have done great. As a team, despite top 25 finishes and Mtn. West Trophies, there hasn't been anything much more prestigious. I cheer for all in team states, because it brings more recruits in general to Utah schools. But I wouldn't tout individual awards for a team sport, especially when the team you are comparing to has won two top level trophies since 2004.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 12:16 p.m.

Are we comparing again? Also, how did this become another BYU/Utah rivalry dispute?

• custer Boise, ID
    Sept. 7, 2012 12:29 p.m.

• Utefan7 Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 12:35 p.m.

Keep it going everyone I am enjoying seeing where this is going to turn next.

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    Sept. 7, 2012 12:48 p.m.

Kaha

Football IS a team sport, but NOBODY wins a Heisman, Doak Walker, Davey O'Brien, Sammy Baugh, or Outland Trophy, or gets inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame without a great team to make those individual national awards possible.

Utah's Fiesta and Sugar Bowl trophies are on the same level as BYU's Cotton Bowl trophy, but none of them even comes close to comparing to a National Championship trophy.

BYU 1984 #1/#1 National Championship
    BYU 1996 #5/#5 Cotton Bowl win
    Utah 2004 #4/#5 Fiesta Bowl win
    Utah 2008 #2/#4 Sugar Bowl win

Despite the labels and spin Utah fans like to attach to Utah's accomplishments to make them seem bigger than they really are, the final rankings are the final word in measuring major college football success.

As far as "bcs" rankings go, the Utes have never finished higher than 6th.

btw,

Before you start talking about the "ancient" history of BYU's accomplishments, let's not forget that Utah's NCAA finals appearance occurred 15 months after BYU played in the Cotton Bowl, yet Utah fans talk about that accomplishment as if it occurred yesterday.

• John S. Harvey Sandy, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 1:26 p.m.

My prediction for the two games is the USU/UofU game will be very close (three or four point margin of victory but unfortunately UofU will likely pull it out), but USU will prevail in the USU/BYU game by at least 7 and likely 10 points. Last year's win by BYU was a total fluke (a tipped pass that just happened to go the correct direction as the clock expired), and the year before USU beat BYU with no problem. USU seems to have improved its overall execution since last year, but has lost Turbin so I would put it about the same in total. So I think Gary Anderson's USU/BYU record is soon to be two wins and one loss.

• Arm of Orion Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 1:28 p.m.

Custer do you wish to know why I am not a fan of BYU and am still LDS. It's because I have been told by several BYU fans that I am a bad member if I do not cheer for BYU. How does that make any sense. Also, Utah fans don't attack BYU cheerleaders from the stands, or in general try to cast doubt on someones standing with God for college preference.

Not only that but I have been called stupid, or at least too stupid for BYU, by BYU fans. I therefore wish the football team to fail out of nothing more than spite.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 1:28 p.m.

Re:custer
    "I can understand someone who is an anti-Mormon hating BYU, but for the life of me I can't understand why devout Mormons would hate their Church school. It makes no sense, is silly, and very sad. To all Aggie fans who hate BYU and who are LDS: Is the President of USU a General Authority? Does your tithing help support USU? Is the governing board of USU-- members of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve? Does every USU diploma have the signature of the President of the Church on it?

LDS Utah State fans-----support and cheer loud for the Aggies, or the Utes or whoever, but please don't tear-down and hate your Church school. BYU isn't better than Utah State or Utah, but it is your Church school. A school that we all help support with our tithing donations."

And...boom. Exhibit A for what you might call "holier than thou", and a good reason to think BYU fans and students are clueless.

• agb Layton, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 1:45 p.m.

BSR:

They were still not forced to go to BYU. Dead serious.

• custer Boise, ID
    Sept. 7, 2012 2:10 p.m.

Arm of Orion: So you hate BYU because "several" BYU fans said you were a bad member of the Church. What they said was wrong--of course, but EVERY school has a few bad apple fans who go off the deep end and do inappropriate things---Utah State/Utah included--certainly you realize this. Again, I plead with you to reconsider your hatred of BYU---because of a few BYU fans. There are Mormons who sometimes say bad things. Should we all hate the Church because a few members behave badly.

Rag Dan: "Holier than thou" would be me saying that BYU is better than any other school. I did not say that. I said to cheer for your school--Aggies, Utes, Broncos, etc-----just don't hate your Church school.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 2:41 p.m.

Re:custer

"Holier than thou" would be me saying that BYU is better than any other school."

That is essentially exactly what you were saying, was it not?
    You don't think that BYU should be criticized. It is above reproach, because it is associated with the holy church and holy men. How is that not the very definition of holier than thou?

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 7, 2012 2:41 p.m.

I think by looking at the posts from Y fans on this thread it is clear why any school's fans would prefer Utah over a school with fans as delusional as the Ys who have go back into the distant past to find any relevancy for their team. Minnesota Golden Gopher football history puts the Ys to shame yet they don't live in the ancient past. They accept their team's modern day irrelevancy; Y fans should do so as well unless you want to make us roll are eyes even more "in 1982 blah blah blah." Go Utes tonight, Go Aggies the rest of the season. Go Weber State.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 2:41 p.m.

Arm of Orion,

custer was spot on with his comments. He did not say that every student is perfect. BYU is part of the church. Tithing goes to funding it. You don't have to like every student, and to say that you hate BYU because you found a rotten fan is like the apostate who leaves the church because he was offended by his Bishop or Elder's Quorum President. I have met some really, really nasty USU fans but I do not hate USU. Same goes for Utah (although seeing some fans' comments makes me want to cheer against Utah, but that doesn't mean I hate them and want them to lose every game they play).

Ragnar Danneskjold,

I reread his post, and the "holier than thou" attitude was more apparent in your response than it was in his original post. He never said BYU was better, he simply said he can't understand why faithful church members would despise the school that the church owns and operates.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 2:45 p.m.

@BYUAggie
    "Utah may never play USU ever again"

Utah has made it quite clear they're cool with playing one of Utah State/BYU every year, the issue is that with 3 out of conference games each year we can't really afford to fill 2 of them up with both of them. If we had 4 out of conference games a year that'd be a different matter and it'd be more feasible.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 2:51 p.m.

@Chris from Rose Park
    "However, this love for BYU does not translate into thinking less of other institutions or thinking less of people who attend or are fans of another school. "

I know plenty of people from BYU so I'll totally buy into the idea that many don't think less of other people... but absolutely there's a decent chunk of BYU students that do.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 2:55 p.m.

@custer
    "I can understand someone who is an anti-Mormon hating BYU, but for the life of me I can't understand why devout Mormons would hate their Church school."

Running into a few self-righteous Y grads would do that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying even half are, but all you need is a few bad apples and you can find a lot of apples at your home ward which makes finding a few bad apples pretty easy.

• Ragnar Danneskjold Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 2:58 p.m.

Re:Riverton Cougar
    "He never said BYU was better, he simply said he can't understand why faithful church members would despise the school that the church owns and operates."

He literally gave 4 reasons that he thought BYU was holier than USU. He didn't simply say he didn't understand.

So, according to your logic. Talking about how one school is more holy than another... not holier than thou.

Calling someone out for this nonsense...holier than thou.

You really are clueless.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 7, 2012 3:06 p.m.

pebbles

You're not exactly an unbiased, objective observer are you?

It's laughable how quickly Utah fans turn to their "ancient" history when talking about basketball, but then like to pretend that major college football history began in 2004.

Modern Day Relevancy - during the Bronco/Kyle/Rose era

Football
    Top 25 Finishes
    Bronco 5
    Kyle 3

Top 15 Finishes
    Bronco 3
    Kyle 1

Conference Championships
    Bronco 2
    Kyle 1

Bronco has almost as many Top 25 finishes in only 7 seasons (FIVE), as Utah has in its entire football history (SEVEN).

--------

Basketball
    20+ Win Seasons
    Rose 7
    Utah 1

Conference Championships
    Rose 4
    Utah 1

NCAA Tournament Bids
    Rose 6
    Utah 1

btw - Finishing in 8th place and 11th place at the bottom of any conference doesn't make U relevant.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 3:07 p.m.

@custer
    "Does your tithing help support USU?"

I'm sure people who pay higher tuition to go other schools just love knowing some of their money is going towards making BYU students pay less... you know how conservatives hate welfare? It's kinda like that except in this case it's other college students (since we're talking about USU LDS students) who care giving up money to subsidize other college students.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 7, 2012 3:17 p.m.

atl134

"Utah has made it quite clear they're cool with playing one of Utah State/BYU every year, the issue is that with 3 out of conference games each year we can't really afford to fill 2 of them up with both of them."

This is simply a cop out.

There's absolutely no legitimate reason the Utes couldn't play BYU AND Utah State every year and still have one opening to schedule an inter-sectional game. The real reason Utah is running away from your rivals is U can't count on BYU and Utah State to be automatic wins every year, which is why the Utes want to replace BYU and Utah State with patsies like Northern Colorado.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 7, 2012 3:32 p.m.

Gilbertreena not Phoenix, 1998 is far closer to the modern age than 1984. Fact is Andre Miller is still playing but many Y players from the early 80s are now grandpas. Were you also referring to 1944 when Utah one the NCAA Championship and then met and beat the NIT champion a few weeks later in NYC? Yes Utah BBall history is far better than the Ys by a lot. It's okay. I hear how good Y BBall now yet their biggest accomplishment in the last 30 years is a very pedestrian Sweet 16 appearance. Shall we continue the stats game you Y fans like to play? 20 plus game lead head to head, three major beat down in the last7 games, 2 vs. 0 BCS appearances (both convincing wins), PAC 12 invite vs. WAC invite. As always, it is too easy.

• altahoops Provo, UT
    Sept. 7, 2012 3:44 p.m.

The hatred of BYU has little to do with the success of their athletic program. It has more to do with the fact that BYU as a university is difficult to get in to. It's easy to go to the U and USU. They accept almost anybody. It isn't easy to get accepted to BYU and getting harder every year. The most virulent BYU haters that I know are people who wanted to go to BYU but weren't accepted so they over-compensate by aggrandizing the school that did accept them. And that carries over to the school's athletic teams. If their team can beat BYU, it must mean the school is superior; therefore, BYU was wrong not to accept them. Irrational, yes. But it happens A LOT.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Sept. 7, 2012 5:40 p.m.

pebbles

BYU's biggest recent accomplishment is having the consensus National Player of the Year and being a serious contender for a Final Four run until dismissing their star center from the team for rules violations that wouldn't even raise an eyebrow at another school.

During the Rose era, BYU is 185-54 (71%), with a Top 10 2013 recruiting class; Utah is 101-119 (46%).

-----------------

As far as football goes, a 25-year-old National Championship and having a Heisman Trophy winner dwarfs ANYTHING Utah has ever accomplished. Call us when Utah wins its first national award of any kind.

A conference invite doesn't prove ANYTHING. Colorado hasn't had a winning season since 2005, yet the Buffs were invited to the PAC before the Utes, and the Utes would still be on the outside looking in if Texas and Oklahoma hadn't backed out of the PAC-Big 12 South merger at the last moment.

Conference membership doesn't mean anything until you actually accomplish something in the conference, like say, winning a conference championship, which Utah rarely did even in the WAC/MWC.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 7, 2012 5:48 p.m.

@Rock Of The Marne:

Are they seriously talking b-ball smack? This from the ONLY school in the country to make the NCAA tournament 26 times without EVER reaching the final 4? From the school that holds the record for most one-and-dones in a row in the NCAA tourney? From a school that has a HORRENDOUS tournament losing record? From a school that went DOWN to the WCC to play the likes of the Toros and the Dons and the Pilots only to finish third in the league? We may be down in b-ball now, but we have accomplished far more than they EVER will hope to accomplish on the court.

It is GREAT to be a UTE!!

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Sept. 9, 2012 6:46 p.m.

Vegas Ute... The Ute's NCAA title in basketball way back in the black and white days is the equivalent of the NIT trophies in the cases of those within this color era. Ute fans are so irritatingly narrow minded it makes me sick... Come full circle with all the facts of the last 100 years before you start building up your program as more than it really ever is was or ever will be. You had to lose the NIT to get to the NCAA back then... It was a second chance trophy. A split championship at best!

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Sept. 9, 2012 6:51 p.m.

JSH you got yer predictions exactly wrong... USU did beat the Utes and will get routed by the Cougars. And the final spread was 7... 27-20 never looked better! unless of course it happens again on Saturday! :)

• Hellooo Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2012 7:40 p.m.

Very interesting how these Utah schools dislike the Y so greatly. Logically, USU and its fans should be most upset by Utah. It dished them long ago, as it has done to BYU recently. Refusing to insist they be part of the conferences in which they play, and now asking for a 2 for 1. Can you imagine this happening to say Arizona vs ASU, Oregon vs Oregon State, WU vs. WSU, Idaho vs Idaho State, Kansas vs Kansas State, Alabama vs Auburn. Or even Florida vs FSU, which are in separate conferences. Can not imagine this, even though over time many of the schools have not had equivalent talent or programs. But here in Utah it happened. Yet the fans of USU, dislike the Y and want to beat more than the U. Go figure, I can't.

• newwest Ferron, UT
    Sept. 10, 2012 10:13 a.m.

I graduated from both BYU and USU back in the '80's. Both are great schools. I'm glad to see USU football returning to the stature it had back when I was in school.
    USU's animosity towards BYU is nothing new. It was alive and well when I arrived in Logan back in '81. It far pre-dates Riley Nelson or Bronco Mendenhall.
    Here's the truth, plain and simple: USU chooses to measure itself in terms of BYU, and is miffed that BYU hasn't reciprocated. In the past, conference affiliations made the BYU-USU rivalry less important to the Cougars than, say, the Utah rivalry. Maybe that will change now that USU is in the Mountain West and BYU is independent. Maybe the Aggies will learn to hate one of their Mountain West rivals, and BYU will become just another non-conference foe. Then maybe BYU will feel slighted and grow to hate the Aggies.
    One more thing: most Aggie fans would fit in just fine at BYU (and vice versa). There are weirdos and jerks at both schools, but the vast majority of students are "normal" by any standard you might come up with.

• MLH SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 11, 2012 11:22 a.m.

It's very easy, byu is one of the most hated programs in the country you byu people really do think you are a notch above the other. You get it from your church, you should not expect anything else. Has nothing to do with your athletic programs has everything to do with how you look and look down at others.