Mike Sorensen: Week 1 of college football taught us some things

Comments

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 2, 2012 5:45 p.m.

"BYU and Utah State are better than expected."

I'd say the jury's still out. Until USU shows it can take care of business in closing out close games, they're still about who I expected they were. BYU: more talented? Definitely. Better? Not so fast. This week will be a matter of taking care of business for them, but if they play as emotionally in their other big matchups against teams more disciplined than Wazzu, the game could get very well out of their hands. 112 yards in penalties? Receivers jumping up celebrating pointing for a first down (after a 7-yard reception on 1st and 10 haha!)? I'm a little more hesitant with the praise.

"Utah and Southern Utah are not as good as expected."

Did you expect them to go for broke on every play like ASU? I admit, the placekicking was disappointing, but overall the game is about what I expected, and they protected key players from injury by keeping things fresh so they're just as well off coming out of the game as going in, if not better.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 2, 2012 6:03 p.m.

contd.

"The Pac-12 may not be as good as it's cracked up to be this year."

I could have warned you about Stanford to start the year. Replacing as historic of a player as Luck is impossible, especially when you don't know who replaces him until a week before the game. They'll remain a borderline top 20 team the rest of the season, but likely won't blow anybody away anymore. For Cal, Maynard has always proven to be a feast or famine QB. Also will be interesting to see later this year how this UNR team compares to their 2010 team. And for Arizona, merely winning while also holding a team that scored over 42 points per game last year to 24 shows marked improvement. However, agreed that Wazzu was not as good purported. Their defense was all over the place, and not in a good way.

"Nittany Lions opened with a 24-14 loss at home to Ohio. Not Ohio State, Ohio."

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2012 7:01 p.m.

We learned that you can't gauge much about your defense when they're playing an offense in its first game with a new system. The Mike Leach system isn't mastered in a day.

• AntelopeValleyUte Palmdale, CA
    Sept. 2, 2012 7:41 p.m.

Week one showed some teams what it is they need to work on and improve. Utah may not have played its best game last Thursday night, but got a "W". They will have to bring their "A" game and play better Friday night against USU. The defense isn't going to be able to save the offense if they play like they did last year. I'm sure USU's offense and defense are pretty good. Will see who wins Friday night.

BYU played pretty good against WSU. They may very well have a solid team this year, but like Utah, one game doesn't show much of anything until they play some really competition. I'd say weeks 4 and 5 will give everyone a better idea who is a contender and who is a pretender.

While I think the Utes won the game last Thursday night, the offense did score, but it wasn't stellar, and at times appeared sluggish. I'm sure they'll fix the kinks and play with more fire and intensity Friday. If not, there maybe some cause for concern when it comes to BYU, ASU, and USC.

• Stay the Course Salt Lake City, utah
    Sept. 2, 2012 8:08 p.m.

The Pac-12 may not be as good as it's cracked up to be this year.
    that was my impression last year as well

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Sept. 2, 2012 8:20 p.m.

Be honest, Mr. Sorensen, the first week probably didn't teach us as much as you suggest.

I get it - you were assigned to write an article for today's paper. But you can do better.

• Mike Johnson Stafford, VA
    Sept. 2, 2012 8:53 p.m.

Utah won 41-0 against a relatively weak opponent (209th out 245 last year according to Sagarin in Division I both subdivisions). The defense allowed about as close to nothing as possible. The offense cruised after an initial slow start. The final result was about what people expected. So, somehow that translates into not being as good as expected? I expected a 30 to 40 point thrashing of Northern Colorado. I didn't expect perfection in everything.

Going into this week, Massey's consensus of 49 computer ratings (based entirely on weighted averages of previous years), had BYU 31st, Utah 32nd, and Utah State 84th out of 124 FBS teams. Washington State came in 83rd. Way too early in the season to know if any of these numbers will hold up. They are more an indication of how well each has played over the past few years.

That said, BYU and Utah in a statistical tie over the past few years. Utah State and Washington State in a statistical tie. Both make sense to me. Or at least I can see how they came about.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 2, 2012 9:15 p.m.

I agree Utah State and BYU were better than expected.

But was "Washington State routed by BYU in Provo" or the Cougars beat themselves? A long TD and a 46 yard reception at the 1 called back due to holding calls, the game could have easily been 20-30 and over 300 passing yards for WSU.

As far as Utah, the defense allowed #209 team from last year 0 points to never cross the 50, only 114 total yards. For a comparison, last year #205 Idaho State had 251 yards, 3 points on #26/25 BYU. But unlike BYU, Utah did struggle on offense early.

Conclusion, Utah still has something to prove. Friday, will be its first test @USU.

Go UTES!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 2, 2012 9:21 p.m.

@Mike Johnson

Based on that we should expect the result of the Utah/USU game to be similar to the BYU/WSU game in Utah's favor or is there some sort of deduction for Utah playing on the road? Of course I'd think it should be taken into account that it is a rivalry game although I've never seen a computer prediction that factors that in. I'm not sure I have ever seen the Massey rankings you are refering to, I'll have to find them.

As far as the game I would expect a Utah win but I'm not going to say it is definate. It is at USU and it is a rivalry.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 2, 2012 9:25 p.m.

I understand the need for sportswriters to produce an article every day but, I think predicting how good a team is after one week is a joke. Wait untl they have played 3-4 games. Even then, some teams don't come together until half way through the season.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 2, 2012 9:44 p.m.

BYU's season comes down to 4 games, as I thought it would. The chances of beating all four teams on the road are not that high, but it's possible. All four games should be competitive. Notre Dame looked very good in their opener.

I knew the defense would be good, but they look better than I expected. The TE play was also a positive, but Nelson has got to find ways of getting Apo more involved.

In the PAC, USC and Oregon are clearly a step ahead. Utah, Washington and Stanford should beat the cellar dwellars, but don't have a chance against the PAC 2.

Although, after what I saw last night, I'm ready to give the NC trophy to Alabama right now. They were as dominant against a very good Michigan team as Utah was over one of the worst teams or BYU was against a PAC12 team.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 2, 2012 11:01 p.m.

"Nittany Lions opened with a 24-14 loss at home to Ohio. Not Ohio State, Ohio. --
    In case you haven't been around football lately, Ohio is no slouch. And Penn State is still Linebacker U. Probably not a .500 team, but they will win games."

Last week, a national commentator said "if they can get past Penn State in week one, Ohio could go undefeated the rest of the year."

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Sept. 2, 2012 11:19 p.m.

Utah 95

Ding ding ding. We have a winner. A perfect post.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 2, 2012 11:41 p.m.

SoonerUte, that's interesting, I hadn't checked Ohio U's schedule. Would be interesting if they were the final BCS buster, as I don't believe any other team has the potential or schedule to this year or next. Also, couldn't tell if you knew who I was talking about, but I was mentioning PSU as "probably not .500."

• Levin Hightstown, NJ
    Sept. 3, 2012 7:07 a.m.

My sad realization from the WSU/BYU game: Future BYU/Utah games will be called by Pac-12 officials.

• atlcoug Atlanta, GA
    Sept. 3, 2012 7:55 a.m.

I have to say that it is so much more enjoyable to read the comments section of both the Des News and the Trib, with both papers demanding comments not be so demeaning. It proves that the fans of the Utes and the Cougars (and Aggies) can be loyal to their schools and talk a little trash, and it doesn't have to be nasty, demeaning, or personal. It may not change the way some of you still feel about the other school, but it is so much more mature and respectful, and thus enjoyable to me, at least. It is so easy to hide behind an email, and thus so easy to be rude, crude, and disgusting. So congrats to all who have seen the light and have found a way to disagree without lobbing personal attacks against those who disagree with them, or happen to prefer a different school. In reality, all three schools are good schools, for different reasons. It has never made any sense to me that people become to hateful towards fans who happen to be cheering for a different school. That being said, "GO COUGARS"!!!

• Appocalypse Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2012 11:27 a.m.

I think it's funny that it was commented on how the score could have been 30-20 if it wasn't for a couple questionable calls against WSU. If I recall correctly, the first TD they took away came on a drive that featured back to back to back personal fouls against BYU … all of them extremely questionable … and they still got a field goal. So couldn't the argument also be that it could have easily been 30-3?

BYU will be swimming against the PAC-12 officiating tide when they play Utah. And the tide is already large enough.

• LetsDebate PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Sept. 3, 2012 12:23 p.m.

@Uteology - those were fantastic receptions, to be sure, but they call holding for a reason. Maybe without the holding, the quarterback gets sacked or throws a very different pass. A football ref once told me that some holding occurs on most plays. They only call the ones that affect the play.

• PaulSpringville SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Sept. 3, 2012 1:03 p.m.

I agree with those that discount the results of only one game. I remember all the comments coming after BYU's first game of 2009. The BYU group was pumped up while the UTE group commented that Oklahoma must not be that good. By the end of the season Oklahoma was 8-5.

• dnay Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2012 1:33 p.m.

I don't know if I were a Ute fan I'd be very nervous, only 414 yards against the worst team in the Big Sky? BYU didn't show everything either and they had more against one of your pac 12 schools. Now granted the Pac12 is one of the weaker BCS conferences from top to bottom but it's way better then the Big Sky. I'll Be nervous about the Cougars if they have the same performance against Weber. The Utes with ur supposed best in the state back can't run all over a team like that? You shouldn't have to show anything to run all over a team like that. But you are right 1 game doesn't make a season the Utes I predict will be good because of that defense, but your offense will cost you games again enough not to be in any Rose bowl!

Personally I think all 3 teams will have good years though, and I do think Utah could go to the Holiday bowl or another good bowl, just don't think a big bowl this year.

• BYUSU Zion, UT
    Sept. 3, 2012 1:34 p.m.

Could someone please tell me what officials are used when a team plays someone from a different conference. I always thought the away teams conference officials were used. Thanks

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2012 3:23 p.m.

Byusu,

The pac12 requires PAC12 officials in almost all games I believe. How do we insist that?

We are the conference of champions and money buys whatever we want. Don't like it? Fine, teams are dying to play us and you can schedule more WAC teams.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Sept. 3, 2012 7:49 p.m.

I have an honest question: Why is it that when BYU plays a home game, the visiting conference officials always officiate the game in Provo. Everytime a PAC10/12 team has come here, their officials make the trip. Is that due to a conference mandate with the Pac12 or the visiting conference? Just wondering why an 3rd pty crew could not do the games.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 3, 2012 8:44 p.m.

The thing is that Andersen expects USU to play to win each game. It doesn't matter if it is OU, Auburn or the UTes. The team is catching that vision. While the Utes have the edge, Friday's game will be close and dramatic. The odds makers have Utah by 7. These are not the Aggies of the past.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 3, 2012 9:44 p.m.

@Pavalova

The pac 12 actually has a rule that its officials must officiate all of its games, home or away. To be honest with you I'm not sure why other conferences go along with it, especially considering the reputation the pac 12 officals have for, shall we say, questionable calls that almost always favor pac 12 teams.

But even with the terrible, if not outright dishonest, pac 12 officiating the better team still usually wins, just like we say last Friday in Provo.

• MoabUte Springville, UT
    Sept. 3, 2012 10:57 p.m.

I am not sure about Sorenson's conclusion. Typically, you do not know how good, or bad, a team is until around week 4.
    I am not sure we learned anything about Utah in week 1. It was pretty much a scrimmage. This week should show us exactly where Utah and USU are to start the season. USU and BYU, likewise, did not face much of a test in their opening game
    BYU versus Utah will clear up where each team is as well.
    No need to jump to any conclusions based on the weak matchups in week 1.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2012 11:14 p.m.

The PAC 12 has always had some of the worst officials in college football - one of things that will always keep the PAC 12 behind the SEC, Big 12, and Big Ten. Nobody likes a cheater.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 8:37 a.m.

I'd think after 2010, BYU fans would be the last ones to complain about "terrible, if not outright dishonest" officiating.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 8:58 a.m.

StGtoSLC: If your insinuating that BYU had anything to do the the officiating in 2010 that is laughable.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 9:25 a.m.

Captain, I'm talking about having BYU alumni in the replay booth for a BYU game that involved a crucial "questionable" call going in BYU's favor.

Now regarding Thursday's game. I'll admit some of the calls against BYU were questionable, but they were calls that were established early and consistently. That's an adjustment the players and coaching staff needed to make, but didn't, so it just ends up being more convenient for fans and players to complain about it.

• sportsman101 salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 11:44 a.m.

its absolutely hilarious reading byu fans comments on any article. you think your program is a "national brand"? seriously? hahahahaha what a joke.and you delusional fans are complaining about officiating? ok let me get this right... last year utah-byu game (in provo) cheap shots byu uale werent called AT ALL, but the game against usu (in provo) the usu safety gets EJECTED after a freakin shoulder to shoulder hit? are you really complaing about officiating. 2010 a BYU ALUM is in the rplay booth, makes an obvious controversial callt that goes byu's way and they win the game. you're really complaining about officiating? haha get real byu fans you all sound so delusional its not even funny.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 12:37 p.m.

StGtoSLC and sportsman101,

You make it sound as if the BYU alum was responsible for the "questionable" call. It has been determined that he WAS NOT RESPONSIBLE for it going in BYU's favor. Besides, was the facemask that wasn't called in BYU's favor? Had the facemask been called, even the correct fumble call would have been overruled and BYU would have gained penalty yards. If anything, the final result worked in SDSU's favor, not having that facemask called. Besides, being in the 3rd quarter, it's not safe to say that that caused BYU to win; BYU outplayed them and could have won just as easily.

Besides, just as obvious as DiLuigi's fumble was the fact that BYU did NOT FUMBLE the ball in the game against Utah. Watch ANY youtube video of it, there is NO WAY you can honestly say it was a fumble. That rule had far higher impact in the game, since BYU was already ahead by 6 points at the time. It's safe to say that BYU would have won if that was called correctly.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 1:15 p.m.

Riverton, I wasn't saying any one side has been the beneficiary of bad calls more than another. However, the official that, as you say, missed the facemask call was not an SDSU alum. The replay official cannot make a facemask call. What he can and is responsible for doing, however, is using the available resources to uphold or overturn a reviewable call made on the field. The fact that the REVIEWABLE play was clearly blown BY a BYU alum does not make the program look good, whether intentional or not. The Utah-BYU game did not have Utah alums as replay officials, so that comparison is apples to oranges, my friend.

Moreover, the comment by CordonBleu about officiating "cheating" keeping the Pac-12 behind the SEC is false as well. The SEC officials have always protected their "good ole' boy" teams, the 2009 Arkansas at Florida game particularly coming to mind.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 2:21 p.m.

I hate to say it, StGtoSLC, but you are mistaken concerning the BYU alum. As I said, it was determined by everyone (except you and some BYU haters) that he was not to blame for the ones in the replay booth. He did what he could, he was not the one to decide if the ruling on the field stands or is overturned. He was not involved in the decision at all. So, your whole point about there being a BYU alum involved is irrelevant. Had the BYU alum been a SDSU alum, the result would have been the same.

Besides, isn't it against policy to reveal the names of any of the officials in a game?

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 2:52 p.m.

@StgToSLC

Always stirring the pot, eh? Just look up Dick Harmon's article on the BYU alum in the booth and the blown call. The MWC was way out of line and the whole story got blown way out of proportion. Like RivertonCoug said, the BYU alum wasn't the head replay official who made the call.

It was a horrible call, but it wasn't because of the BYU alum who subsequently lost his job after that because the MWC revealed the names of the people in the replay booth (against the rules).

Just like Brandon Bradley's 'fumble' was also a horrible call. C'est la vie.

Go Cougars!

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 2:57 p.m.

As for what I learned this week, USU's better than what I thought, BYU's as good as I thought, and Utah's about as average as I thought.

Everyone likes to talk about Utah's defense holding UNC scoreless. Last year, an FCS team (Sacramento St.) held UNC scoreless and to a total of 72 yards (!) of offense. There were also 5 FCS teams that scored more points on UNC than the 34 offensive points the Utes were able to put up against them.

Jordan Wynn is an average QB. His arm looks about the same as last year. The INT he threw was a horribly thrown ball. The Utah O-Line also has some question marks. The Ute offense was ranked 107th last year, and I didn't see anything to suggest that would improve markedly this year.

Utah's defensive line is fantastic! Verdict is still out on LB's and secondary.

All in all, not too impressed by the Utes in the opener. I think USU will give them all they can handle this week, if not beat the Utes. I will be surprised if the Ute offense scores more than 21 points.

Go Cougars!

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 5:42 p.m.

Great article Mike. Well, not really. The Y is not better than anyone thought. This is exactly what Y fans thought they would be. The Utes didn't show a thing on offense, or defense really. The Y offense & defense both went for broke on almost every play against Wazzu, & you could see that in their play, & emotion. The Y had to win that game. Had they lost that game, it would have been the start to a terrible season. Bronco always goes for broke in those 1st games of the year. That is why they are 7-1 I believe in season openers. Then from there on out he is 9-14, and he has only won game 3 of the season once back in 08. The Utes played very conservatively on both sides of the ball.

Truecoug,

Nelson is an average QB, with a noodle for an arm. Like the Espn, local papers, & talking radio heads, against a real defense, Nelson would have had probably 3 interceptions. Wynn is not that great, & neither is Nelson. Wynn has a weak arm, but Nelson throws the worst wounded ducks I have ever seen from a starting senior D1 quaterback.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2012 5:58 p.m.

I'd like to see an article in a few weeks titled "What we really learned from Week 1 of college football’. It will be a very short article. We learned nothing. None of these games were against opponents worth using as a gauge for a team.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 10:26 a.m.

@PapaSmurfUTE "Nelson is an average QB, with a noodle for an arm."

And yet that 'average QB' finished last season 15th in the nation in passing efficiency.

I think it's interesting all the talk about Nelson's 'weak arm' and how he's a horrible QB. It seems to be a trend, or that people stereotype Nelson in that way. The only people that I've heard say Nelson would've been picked off 3 times against a better defense because he threw the ball up for grabs is from comments on the D News.

My question to U (and to those people) is...which plays are you referencing?

The pass to Friel in the second quarter for the TD was a great throw...Nelson put it only where Friel could get it. The pass to Apo when he was double-teamed in the end zone (3rd or 4th quarter) came when a WSU defender jumped offside and Nelson thought he had a free play (of course, no call from the officials). The one throw he shouldn't have made was after the Jordan Johnson INT to Holt in the end zone.

So which plays are you referring to?

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 10:31 a.m.

@PapaSmurfUTE

By the way, U DO realize that the people who say Nelson supposedly COULD have had an INT against WSU seem to ignore the fact that Jordan Wynn actually DID have an INT against a defense that was a LOT worse than WSU. Nelson's QB rating was also higher against a PAC 12 team that took the Utes to OT last year than Wynn's was against one of the worst teams in the FCS.

Like I said before, I will be surprised if the Utes can manage more than 3 offensive TD's against USU.

Go Cougars!

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 11:10 a.m.

Truecoug,

Since Dick Harmon is a beacon of truth, and not partial to the Y at all, right? Nothing Harmon writes can be taken seriously when it comes to yBu. He is the biggest homer out there.

• Papa Smurf UTE Herriman, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 11:19 a.m.

Truecoug,

Nelson was 15th in pass efficiency last year due to playing the worst teams in all of college football. He played 1 good team all year as a starter, and that was TCU. Even when Hypes came in and played for a dinged up Nelson, he beat the living daylights out of that team.

Not once did I say that Wynn was better than Nelson, and the Wynn didn't have an interception. Wynn's INT was a poorly underthrown ball, that got caught up in the wind as well. It was an awful throw. By the way, all those throws that you mentioned, yes, they were all wounded ducks, along with many others. That TD to Friel, against a team with a decent defense would have been picked off. That defender was so far away from Friel, and once he got to the ball, he jumped right by it. With the speed the Ute DB's have, Georgia Tech DB's, and Notre Dame DB's, they all would have at the very least knocked that wounded duck out of the air. Utah St has the best QB in the whole state. Wynn & Nelson are just average.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 12:13 p.m.

@PapaSmurfUTE "Since Dick Harmon is a beacon of truth, and not partial to the Y at all, right?"

Of course he's partial to the Y. Does that make anything in his article about the BYU alum less valid? The MWC (and other conferences) aren't allowed to release the names of replay officials. They're supposed to be behind the scenes. However, they leaked it, it came out that one of the guys in the booth was a BYU alum (though not the head replay official...in fact, the BYU alum told the head replay official that there was another angle of the play he should look at, but the Head Replay Official overruled him and let the play stand). The BYU alum lost his job because of it.

So I don't see how Dick Harmon being a BYU homer invalidates anything he reported.

Go Cougars!

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 12:22 p.m.

@PapaSmurfUTE "Nelson was 15th in pass efficiency last year due to playing the worst teams in all of college football."

Wrong-O! Nelson played half of the Utah St game (finished 7-6), a PAC 12 team (OSU), TCU (finished the season ranked in the top 20), Tulsa (finished the season #35 in Sagarin rankings), Hawai'i (MWC school, finished 1 game shy of going to a bowl game), Idaho St and San Jose St.

Jake Heaps came in and played Idaho and New Mexico St. His numbers for both of those games combined? 423 yds 6 TD's, 2 INT. I wouldn't call that 'destroying' those teams. Heck, against Hawai'i, Nelson had 363 yds and 3 TD's.

So were they the best teams in college football? No, but they certainly weren't the worst, and Heaps struggled against two of the worst teams on the schedule.

Go Cougars!

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 12:27 p.m.

@PapaSmurfUTE " By the way, all those throws that you mentioned, yes, they were all wounded ducks, along with many others."

The pass to Apo also wasn't a wounded duck. Was it a perfect spiral? No...but guess what, I saw Matt Barkley throw some wobblers against Hawai'i last Saturday. Yet somehow, he's still a good passer and Nelson's not.

You point out to me specific plays in which Nelson threw "wounded ducks", I'll point out plays from Matt Barkley where he did the same thing, and then I'll point out plays where Nelson fired it in to his receiver.

Go ahead and list some actual evidence other than your opinion and I'll refute it. It'll be fun.

Point is, every QB makes some bad throws in a game.

Go Cougars!

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 1:37 p.m.

@riverton cougar
    my apologies on blaming the byu alum then. but as far as that fumble against utah, either you have never played the game, reffed the game, or had anything to do with the game. when you dont have CLEAR possession of the ball its a fumble. when the ball was sitting on diLuigi's shoulder pads thats not having possession of the ball and is why it was ruled a fumble. just like in the byu game IT WENT TO REPLAY. they made the correct call.

• sportsfanforlife salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 1:56 p.m.

@truecoug1

"Lol, really? What "others"? The pass to Friel was perfect, he threw it to him BECAUSE the defender was so far off. Look at the replay, the defender didn't jump by the ball, he just couldn't reach it. Why? Because it was thrown perfectly, over the defender and to the outside shoulder of Friel where only he could get it."

hahaha do you delusional y fans really believe what you still say? a "perfectly thrown ball"? hahahahaha in what world was that a "perfectly thrown ball"? even the espn analysts said that pass was horrible and luckily not picked off. hahahahaahaha you're really delusional aren't you? just admit it.

• truecoug1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 3:02 p.m.

@sportsfanforlife "hahahahaha in what world was that a "perfectly thrown ball"?"

How about in a world where it's thrown so that the DB can't get to it, it lands right where our TE could catch it and he goes for a TD?

I'd say that's a perfectly thrown ball.

Go Cougars!

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Sept. 5, 2012 4:56 p.m.

sportsfanforlife,

For one, it was Bradley who had the ball in the Utah game, not DiLuigi. I just watched the play again, and he did not lose possession of the ball until well after his knee was planted firmly on the ground. No way to argue that. You just can't. The Ute player clearly ripped the ball out of Bradley's hands after he was down in desperation, hoping the refs wouldn't catch it.

As for Nelson's throw, both have made good points. I wouldn't call it a perfectly thrown ball, but it's true that he threw it because no defenders were near enough to intercept it. He could improve his throws, though.