BYU football: Cougars host their own late night show vs. Washington State

north colorado 3

utah state 37
    suu 10

Congratulations to Utah and Utah State, the best 2 programs in the state

• Mount Olympus Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 9:11 p.m.

From the BYU players comments it sounds like they think their season will be over with the first loss.
    It will be interesting to see how they respond after their first loss, whether that is this week or whenever.

• B C Park City, UT
    Aug. 29, 2012 9:37 p.m.

Poor Chris B

It's gotta be so depressing being so obsessed with being such a hater.

No wonder you're going out of your way to create an convenient excuse to stop the charade.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 29, 2012 10:34 p.m.

I know what channel the BYU game is on this week. Can someone tell me what channel the Utah game is on?

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    Aug. 30, 2012 6:44 a.m.

I am a little confused on all the hoopla about exposure on TV. I live back east and we get the South Carolina game and then it says that BYU will be joined in progress after that game is finished and that will be around 10:30pm I don't think the whole east coast is stayinig up until 1:30AM to finish the BYU game

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 7:13 a.m.

Washington State is a terrible team. They might be a bit better with Leach. BYU will maybe eek out a win and then go on to have a pretty mediocre season at best. I just don't think BYU is all that good this year.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 7:41 a.m.

flatlander
    i hate to tell you, but nebraska isn't back east. it's called midwest. having actually lived in the east, NYC and NJ people will stay up as most don't have farm chores to get up to.

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    Aug. 30, 2012 7:54 a.m.

Can you say trap game. Mike Leach is a top tier coach and he is inheriting some pretty good athletes that are hungry for success.

• JDL Magna, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 7:56 a.m.

Flatlander:

This is only the second year of an 8 year deal with ESPN. ESPN is BYU's partner and they are showcasing us and helping with schedules. You do realize that a 7:15 start time in PAC12 land is prime time and I will guarantee you that this BYU/Washington State match-up holds plenty of interest to a significant number of college football fans even on the East coast. If it were a BYU/Nebraska game, the start time would match the BIG's prime time viewing slot.

ESPN is a big deal for BYU and it will get better and better as time goes by.

I read an article today and the deal with P12N and DTV is not happening and P12 viewers were being asked to switch their providers. I would rather BYU be paired with a forward moving solo ESPN deal than a reverse P12N/MTN deal.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 8:00 a.m.

Michael Alisa said- "our hopes for a potential BCS bid are on the line."

Please don't go there and get the job done on the field and let the bcs and medias do the other stuff. Don't be like Jake Heaps when he kept saying NC stuff. Just win it tonight then focus one at a time (each week).

• JDL Magna, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 8:13 a.m.

Not to be arrogant, but other really nice positives about BYU's deal with ESPN and exposure is that a BYU home games will be shown on BYUtv 1 hour after they conclude and can be seen several times during the week or on line.

The games can be received using rabbit ear antenna without cable subscription in HD.

There is a 1 hour pre and post game show produced by BYUtv on every game played home or away.

BYUtv has international satellite reach

As with many things, BYU is an innovator and a game changer and I believe this innovation will prove to be a model for other programs.

No other University has the flexibility of programing like BYU has with it's partnership with ESPN and it was launched barely 1 year ago.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 8:20 a.m.

BYU football today! Nothing better.
    I was going to watch the first half of the Utah game also but the Mountain...er...I mean the regional pac net does not have a contract with my satellite provider. I guess I will have to wait and watch the Utes on ESPN courtesy of BYU.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 30, 2012 9:20 a.m.

Not only did the pac12 tv deal fail to get picked up, but here in Texas, the Longhorn network deal seems to be dead in the water. Fios is the only large carrier of LHN and they are not that large. Texas fans are furious.

Hopefully, U will begin to realize what a big deal it is to be on ESPN, where BYU will be for 5 of their first 6 games, and the other game is on BYUtv which is also part of the basic cable / satellite package. There is no way some of these other deals will generate enough subscribers to warrant cable and satellite carriers picking them up. That's why nothing has happened and probably won't happen.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Aug. 30, 2012 9:22 a.m.

@flatlander - did the hurricane wash out that much of the US that Nebraska is now east coast? LOL

This game was timed for prime time in Mountain and Pacific time zone, where BYU and WSU are located - just in case you didn't know.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 10:16 a.m.

• phoenix Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 30, 2012 10:37 a.m.

Who am I sir?

"Question - How can this game be considered as big when it is against Washington State. A team many Y fans said was no better than Idaho, San Jose, La Tech last year?"

Answer: WSU was bad last year. In fact, WSU has been a PAC 12 cellar dweller for many years, BUT, in case you haven't heard, Mike Leach, a BYU alum and offensive guru, is now the head coach at WSU, which obviously makes the game a lot more intriguing, enough so, that ESPN decided to televise the contest nationally as one of its featured opening night games.

I know that's gotta hurt if you're one of the kids on the hill who doesn't even get the PAC Net to watch the Utes, but that's what you get when you "live across the green" with envy.

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 10:51 a.m.

Go Cougs! Beat the Cougs!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Aug. 30, 2012 10:57 a.m.

@UtahUte16 - You beat me to it!

Good luck Cougars!

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 12:16 p.m.

@UtahUte16: You got me to smile. Thought it was odd that you were cheering on BYU until I got the joke.

• sls Columbia, MO
    Aug. 30, 2012 12:51 p.m.

No mention in this article that BYU grad Mitt Romney is set to make history tonight with his acceptance speech at the RNC. Is Utah so tuned out to think that BYU fans around the country will tune out Mitt Romney in order to watch a football game? I'm a diehard football fan, but the opening game slog is not enough to get me to skip history. I'll tune in to the second half when hopefully some of the kinks will be removed and the game will get interesting. Watch how the ratings for this game go up after the convention ends. Here's a BYU fan in SEC country who will be pulling for the guys in blue, but not missing out on the chance to see the first Mormon give an acceptance speech for president in the political party that once planned to destroy the barbaric Mormons.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 1:05 p.m.

Ahhh, the Season is Finally Here! August is the longest month of the year for me. Just 7 more hours.

I truly believe that Chris B. is the most avid BYU article reader on Des News. Does that guy work? Anyway, his predictions seem logical so I gotta give him that but I do hope he is wrong.

• phantomblade Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 30, 2012 1:08 p.m.

sls

Fortunately for BYU fans, it's not an either/or decision. Channel flipping, DVR, or watching the replays on BYUtv or ESPN are all available options for watching the BYU game AND Mitt Romney.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 30, 2012 1:09 p.m.

Phoenix

Never did I have a doubt that in one year the Washington State Cougars would become a headliner opponent of BYU this year. It is true WSU has been in the lower standings in the PAC-12; however, no rational football fan would claim they were comparable to Idaho, Idaho State, etc.!

You're right about the excitement level of tonights game. But asw you idicated it is because of Coach Leach's return to college football.

Hope it is a great game - and win cougars.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Aug. 30, 2012 2:13 p.m.

Chris B.. I have made a though study of your BYU football game predictions and have found that your predictions have been wrong 83.3333% of the time in 5 of the last 6 years combined and the one year you were wrong 75.3% of the time! Come on pal, those numbers don’t say much for your knowledge of the game does it?

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2012 12:40 p.m.

In other news:

"Jabari Parker (Chicago/Simeon), the top-ranked senior in the nation, was on BYU's campus Thursday meeting with head coach Dave Rose, ESPN has learned.

The 6-foot-8 Parker is a practicing Mormon who has been considering the Cougars along with DePaul, Duke, Florida, Georgetown, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, North Carolina and Stanford."

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2012 12:44 p.m.

Who am I sir?

"Never did I have a doubt that in one year the Washington State Cougars would become a headliner opponent of BYU this year."

It's doubtful that the Utah-WSU will even be a blip on the national radar, especially since the game will probably be banished to the PAC Net, which, as we all know, pretty much kills any chance of the game receiving national exposure.