U.S. & World

Romney: Tithing makes me reluctant to reveal taxes

Comments

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Aug. 23, 2012 8:14 p.m.

I dont want to release my tax returns because it will show that I am way too charitable.

Sorry, not buyin it.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Aug. 23, 2012 8:22 p.m.

Wouldn't that be a rather simple calculation to figure out how much he gave in tithing? I know my fourth grader could do it. So not quite sure what the grand mystery is. And why would this be the big controversial thing he is hiding, preventing him from disclosing his taxes. Some lady just donated 5 million the the national cathedral to due repairs. The Duke family donated in european sized cathedral to their name sake university, and were not worried it would make a bad impression. The Marriott family donated millions to the church and BYU.... no issues there. The list of people who have donated massive amounts of money to their churches and causes is long and deep.

This is actually the secret he is hiding? I'm sure if he really felt who he donated money to was so sensitive he could have that section redacted. Unless there is something immoral about his donations. Now he has just cast even a bigger cloud over his relationship with the church... made it worse.

Here is some ground breaking news... I donate 10 percent to my church - guess my political ambitions are dead.

• NT Springville, UT
    Aug. 23, 2012 8:46 p.m.

@JoeBlow

Are you joining all of those witch hunters demanding that he make public his tax returns? If so, why? Is there really anything about his releasing his tax returns that would cause you to change your vote?

I didn't think so. Same as with all the rest of those who are calling for his tax returns.

So, case closed.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Aug. 23, 2012 9:08 p.m.

Joe Blow:
    Mitt's tithing is very personal. World needs people like joe blow, makes everyone else loog good

• SamiAntha Murray, UT
    Aug. 23, 2012 9:14 p.m.

Amen to what NT said! No matter what, you're not going to change your mind and vote for Romney. I keep asking what are you looking for that the IRS missed?! Sheesh this is beyond annoying!

• MealyMouth Alpine, UT
    Aug. 23, 2012 9:17 p.m.

I believe him. I believe they give very generously. None of us would wave that around, if we truly lived our gospel. I believe he and his wife are joyful givers. I am thankful they choose to run for public office.

• rapaz11 Sitka, AK
    Aug. 23, 2012 9:21 p.m.

So now its the tithing. If this were really the reason, why did he not say so before? He just goes from one excuse to the next. Its obvious what is happening regardless of whether you think he should release them or not. It has nothing to do with tithing. It has everything to do with how he "legally" used the current tax code to make his millions. That would not go well with his proposed tax cut for people like him. I'm sure his father paid lots of tithing too. Mitt has every right to withhold his taxes, but it his hard for anyone to trust him when he keeps making up new stories.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 23, 2012 9:23 p.m.

We already know from the one year that he has released that he gave less than 8% in charitable contributions for 2010.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 23, 2012 9:26 p.m.

Romney should not release anything more than he has already committed to, i.e., 2010 and 2011 returns. The only reason the liberals are "demanding" more is so they can use that as another distraction from important issues like $16 trillion in debt, jobs, energy, education, and medicare.

Just say NO, Mitt.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 23, 2012 9:27 p.m.

"Sorry, not buyin it."

Joe Blow - who cares what you're buyin??

• anneray Kosciusko, Mississippi
    Aug. 23, 2012 9:45 p.m.

To Kalindra and others: Tithing and charitable contributions are NOT the same. Tithing goes to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon), charitable contritutions go to wherever and to whomever Mitt and Ann decide at the time of giving, not just once a year but any time. That is very personal and private information. Do you give out information to everyone every time you make a donation to a firemen's fund, Police funds, or a neighbor's need? Do you or your family take food, clothes, furniture when it's needed after a tornado or hurricane or an accident on the highway? Respect others as you want to be respected.

• ParkCityAggie Park City, Ut
    Aug. 23, 2012 9:51 p.m.

Funny his father, George Romney (born in Mexico I might add), was the guy who started the whole tax return thing, he didn't seem to have a problem with people knowing how much he gave to his church. Romney is proven himself untrustworthy, he just hopes he'll get elected on an anti-Obama vote. And frankly that's all the guy has going for him... good luck!

• MoabUte Springville, UT
    Aug. 23, 2012 10:18 p.m.

Folks ask, "If he did release his taxes would the results change your mind to vote for Romney"
    The real question is, is there any information that could possibly be in Mitt's tax returns that would cause you NOT to vote for Romney?

If the answer is, "NO, nothing would make me change my mind" than you are a scary individual. I have little doubt that here, in Utah, it wouldn't matter if Mitt's tax returns should a 20 Million dollar gift to the Nazi party. The LDS faithful here would still vote for him. The contents of his tax returns could definitely sway independent voters though.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Aug. 23, 2012 10:19 p.m.

I have always felt that this is the reason that he is hesitant. I don't like to share with others what we pay in tithing and fast offerings. I do indexing and I didn't like sharing those numbers either and I also didn't like sharing how many people I baptized on my mission. We as Latter Day Saints are taught not to gloat. We are told that the relationship in marriage is private and that we should not tell everyone what is in our Patriarchal Blessings. Guess I understand Romney, cause I grew up with the same teachings, and those teachings are in the Bible and the Book or Mormon.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Aug. 23, 2012 10:25 p.m.

Right.
    It's about the tithing.

That is just too funny.

Romney is a constant source of humor.

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 23, 2012 10:30 p.m.

Dear Mitt!

Pleeeeaaase, don't bring the church into this.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Aug. 23, 2012 10:45 p.m.

Maybe Obama is withholding his school records because his grades were so awesome, he doesn't want to gloat? At least Romney has given reasons for not revealing his tax records, and I don't blame him. Sure, it would make him appear to be more trustworthy, but that's a personal thing. I don't make much money, but I don't want other people knowing what I pay in tithes and offerings. It's personal.

The Democrats' tactics are to distract from Obama, who is clearly unqualified to be President of the United States. The fact that Democrats nominated Obama for a second term indicate that they are willing to put party before country. If they wanted the best for America, they would have asked themselves if Obama's policies were really working. It would seem they didn't ask themselves that, and assumed FDR's New Deal stuff must have worked wonders, or else they figured it would work this time around even though it didn't 80 years ago.

• JayTee Sandy, UT
    Aug. 23, 2012 10:53 p.m.

Only a fool would play into the hand of those who want to run this red herring up the flag pole and make an issue out of it. As successful as he's been, as varied as his career has been--don't you think he's been audited a few times. Why to Obama's campaign helpers think they can convert non-fools, by placing people like Biden and Reid in the place of the IRS? It's a lose-lose deal, because if he doesn't produce them, then he's hiding something; but if he does, then he didn't pay enough . . . even though nearly half of Americans pay ZERO income taxes. These distractions are all the other side has, because they don't have results, a record of success, or good answers on real issues. Maybe just politics as usual, but it's reached new lows.

• t702 Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 23, 2012 11:28 p.m.

Face it...Bill Clinton did not demand that Bob Dole release his tax returns. George W didn't demand that John Kerry release his either. So why is Obama obsesses with this? Both Clinton & Bush had legitimate success to run on, while Mr NoExperience has zero…that’s right zilch, zip...the only thing left for such level of success is personal attack and character assassination.

So to the liberals, save your sanity and start regrouping for 2016 because this one is all over. You mess up by picking someone with no experience, hopefully next time you pick someone that knows how to balance his/her checkbook.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 5:49 a.m.

Then why has he and his wife been bragging about paying 10% to the Church over the past several months. Romney is a piece of work. Never have I seen such a dishonest politician at the presidential candidate level.

• Joey D WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 6:10 a.m.

Mitt would be a fool to release his tax information, no doubt he's paid them and honestly. It's just something for the democrats to harp. Keep pounding the economy issues Mitt, that's where the pain is. The IRS knows you paid your taxes.

• Baron Scarpia Logan, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 6:16 a.m.

Romney's tax returns are going to be leaked in due course. The longer he waits and lets this go out of his control, the more damage it will do.

Here's what I think the returns will say: One, his taxes were significantly lower than expected, which will make middle class moderate voters angry given that they themselves don't have the ability to drastically reduce their personal tax burdens. Will they want someone who has an "inside track" on America's biased tax code?

Two, his tithes may not match what LDS folks will perceive as appropriate given his stature. Another embarrassment.

• Fred44 Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 24, 2012 6:41 a.m.

The Cayman Islands have a lot more to do with his refusal to release his tax documents than how much tithing he paid.

• TOO Sanpete, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 6:42 a.m.

MoabUte

That is by far one of the most insulting things a person has ever said on here. You're saying that people are so dumb that if Mitt donated to a murderous party we would still vote for him? That claim is completely ignorant and asanine.
    I love how the left can make any wild claim they feel but if a Conservative said something about Obama donating to the Nazis we would be called racists bigots. John Kerry is worth hundreds of millions as well. Did you hear an outcry from conservatives for him to release his returns? No.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 24, 2012 6:47 a.m.

Re: Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    "Since a full tithe is 10%, I can see why he would be hesitant to release any additional tax returns."

Your comment raises four questions:
    #1 How much tithing did you pay last year?
    #2 If you paid tithing last year was it on your gross or your net?
    #3 Why should how much money anybody pays in tithing be anybody's business but their own?
    #4 If Romney had paid a 100% tithe would that change your vote this November?

I find it curious that people who don't pay any tithing at all would worry about how much someone else pays.

• BCA Murrieta, CA
    Aug. 24, 2012 7:03 a.m.

Good one, Mitt.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 24, 2012 7:48 a.m.

Those same individuals gloss over the fact that he selflessly served the members first of his ward and then of his stake for 13-years without any financial compensation.

• Tiger5 Cache county, USA
    Aug. 24, 2012 8:05 a.m.

Let's make a deal.
    Romney will bring out the tax returns, if Harry shows how he became a millionaire.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 8:17 a.m.

Rifleman said: "I find it interesting that people find it any of their business to question how Mitt Romney's method of determining how much money he owed the Lord."

Nope! This is mitt making yet another excuse, not to be honest with the American people, and even worse he's making it their business by bringing his religion into it and then blaming others for asking why.

Rifleman said: Before I decided to criticize Mitt Romney's tithes and offerings I'd be inclined to ask myself how much I've given to charity.

I did, and I have paid a higher percentage than ol' Mit, thanks for posing that question though.
    Now my question for you what was the message of "the widow and the mite."

His church service is you bringing his religion into it, which he clearly wants to avoid. Not the evil left dragging religion into the race.

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    Aug. 24, 2012 8:21 a.m.

I can just imagine if Obama had refused to release his tax returns after McCain allready had. The same conservatives here would have gone ballistic.

And where is Romney's birth certificate AND grades? Why demand from Obama what you won't demand of your own candidates?

• mjkkjk Provo, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 8:24 a.m.

Re: Moab Ute

The fact that you think that shows your anti-Mormon bias. Of course Mormons would quit supporting him if he donated $20 million to the nazi party. My question for you is, if his taxes proved he paid a full tithing and all of the taxes he's claimed to have paid, would it change your attitude about him (of him being a liar) in the slightest? I think we both know the answer is no. Otherwise you wouldn't be on here accusing other people of that same blindness.

• Wyominguy Buffalo, WY
    Aug. 24, 2012 8:32 a.m.

Tithing is Very Personal and Mr. Romney is not using it as an excuse, its his nature and upbringing to not discuss this. The tax return discussion is a political ploy nothing more.

The 2012 election is about a choice between Class and sleaze ... thats my view....

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    Aug. 24, 2012 8:32 a.m.

Harry reid makes $193,400.00 a year, has a law degree, is 73 and at the end of his career. Really? You wonder how he became a millionare? You don't really believe in investing do you?

Compound interest. WOW.

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    Aug. 24, 2012 8:32 a.m.

If he's so convinced that his tithing contributions are strictly between him and God, and it's nobody else's business, why did he take the tax credits for it? He's too modest to let everyone know about his contributions, but not modest enough to itemize it as a deduction.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 8:38 a.m.

So what if his tax returns show that he parks ALL his money in the Cayman Islands or in Switzerland? Legally putting your money somewhere besides in a society where other people feel entitled to steal most of it through a punitive tax code is smart.

Unfortunately, too many people in this country feel like rich people are unpatriotic if they move THEIR money where it is most efficient rather than just do what is politically popular.

That is why Romney should not reveal his tax forms. Too many liberals will go over it line by line and use every investment to try and prove that he is "unpatriotic" instead of "smart".

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Aug. 24, 2012 8:44 a.m.

That Romney pays a tithing to the Church is not news. That information has been out there for a long time. This explanation is inconsistent with his previous position that the reason he wouldn't release more returns was because his opponents would use it against him. This latest excuse is so lame it sounds like just another ruse.

• IdahoStranger NEWDALE, ID
    Aug. 24, 2012 8:57 a.m.

I am NOT a fan of Romney.

He has said no and now he should just shut up about it. He has disclosed what is legally required and that is all he needs to do.

The voters should be looking at both his words and his actions to determine if he should be president or not.

The truth is that ALL of them make a lot more money than most of us reading this, so what's the point?

What I need to know is if he will follow the Constitution and if he really believes in limited government and that the people are smart enough to run their own lives.

Personally, I find that both he and Obama come up short and I am not excited about either of them.

But his taxes, beyond what is legally required are his own business. Let's get onto to something worthwhile.

• very concerned Sandy, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 8:58 a.m.

@ MoabUte
    *it wouldn't matter if Mitt's tax returns should a 20 Million dollar gift to the Nazi party. The LDS faithful here would still vote for him"

I, who consider himself an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints, beg to differ. If I found out that Mitt had donated millions to the Nazi party, it WOULD change my vote. I believe in voting for honest and wise people, regardless of religion.

I think it is a disservice to LDS people to paint them as such mindless sheep. Having said that, I strongly suspect Mitt DID give millions . . . . to his church, which works to use that money for the betterment of human-kind through helping the poor and spreading the gospel of peace as taught by Jesus Christ.

Lest you disagree and call us *hatemongers*, I don' buy it. We may most strongly disagree with our neighbor and try to use our influence to uphold traditional values, but we are taught to love our neighbors as brothers and sisters, regardless of differences.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Aug. 24, 2012 8:58 a.m.

The former Massachusetts governor talked about tithing last weekend on "Fox News Sunday."

"The Bible speaks about providing tithes and offerings. I made a commitment to my church a long, long time ago that I would give 10 percent of my income to the church. And I followed through on that commitment," Romney said. "And, hopefully, as people look at various individuals running for president, they'd be pleased with someone who made a promise to God and kept that promise."
    (Feb 2012)

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 9:02 a.m.

Joe Blow, truthseeker (truthmocker),
    I guess you’ve never read, or never bought into “and when thou givest alms, let not thy right hand know what thy left hand doeth”

BlueDevil,
    See above. Also, there are other ways to donate besides tithing

Kalindra,
    Tax accounting differs from normal accounting, thus the return showing 8% (if that’s what it said) and what he felt was a full tithe on his actual income. And who made you his bishop to judge whether he paid a full tithe or not?

Rifleman,
    Let’s not forget that he faithfully served the people of MA without taking a salary

Screwdriver,
    Go ahead and ask for Romney’s birth certificate and grades, nothing is stopping you.

OHBU,
    You go after Romney for taking tax credits for tithing? First, there are no “credits” for tithing, just deductions. Why are you not going after BO for taking all the deductions HE took? After all, BO says the rich should pay more, and he’s rich – why doesn’t BO practice what he preaches and pay more?

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Aug. 24, 2012 9:08 a.m.

From the AP release:

Ann Romney, who joined her husband for the interview, said she loved tithing and that it makes her emotional.

"When Mitt and I give that check," she said, "I actually cry."

==========

Sorry, Ann, but I'm not buying that. This is not about tithing and your pitch for public sympathy just adds to the suspicion. Time for you and Mitt to level with the country once and for all.

• jpjazz Sandy, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 9:12 a.m.

There could me many reasons that they do not want the records released. Believe it or not, not everyone wants their name affixed to building that they financed, whether that be a sports venue, hospital or a university building. Some contribute large sums towards the construction of religious buildings such as schools and seminaries, welfare projects and even temples, all without the recognition of the public at large. Just sayin...

• Well Read SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 9:22 a.m.

I think Mitt should release 10 years of income tax information if he wants to be president. He should have done it a year of two ago. The appearance that he is hiding something is out there. This one issue will not be the one thing that causes him to lose the nomination. I think it is just one of many indications. I think he is not living up to the LDS standards he professes to believe. Look at the vicious things he has said about anyone who has opposed him in the primaries and now in the presidential election. He is not living up to the standard question - Are you honest in your dealings with your fellow man?" He is not at all honest in the political advertizement put out by himself and those supporting him. When it is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that what he or his campaign claims he still stands by it. It seems like he and his party believe if we tell a lie often enough the public will accept it as truth. I do not think he will win for the above reasons.

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 9:34 a.m.

Why does Mitt Romney hate America?

• don17 Temecula, CA
    Aug. 24, 2012 9:36 a.m.

Lets look at the real numbers and not claims by Kalindra in their post.

Romney Taxes 2010. Line 22 Income 21,661,344. Donations to Charity Sch A 16-17; 2,983,807. Tax payments(Line 72) 4,619.207. Kalindra your math appears to be wrong. The Romney's donated more than 8 percent! Just another unfounded hit on the Romneys.

Romney Taxes 2011(estimated) Line 22 Income 20,908,880. Line 72 taxes 3,434,411. Sch A lines 16-17 donations 4,020.572. Again well over 8 percent.

Now lets talk Joe Biden: Donations less than 1% while the average Utahn gives 10.6% PEW Survey.

Now the Economy the real issue is where Obama has failed!

25 million unemployed
    47.2 million on food stamps(40 percent increase last 4 years)
    16.6 percent of population in poverty
    253,000 small businesses closed down last 4 years
    16 Trillion in Debt
    1.1 trillion added to debt this year
    90 Billion in failed green stimulus dollars(Could have built 10 Nuclear power plants to supply 20 million homes power and created long term jobs and cut the trade imbalance)!
    War Against Fossil Energy.
    Obama Failed!

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 9:48 a.m.

It is amazing that anyone would not only volunteer to be a candidate for office but to subject themselves to being in a fish bowl for years at a time. It is amazing that many commenters are getting caught up in the data that is out there. Tithing, fast offerings and other contributions to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a religious requirement, not a political requirement. Many contributors know that a person that has given many years of service to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints goes through a process with the local Bishop of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and declares to the Bishop that he/she and they as a couple of donated a full-tithing to the Church. Their children have that same opportunity. The Church is a great place to be a lay person which means you get more than the opportunity to be a leader Bishop over 500 or more and Stake President over 3,000 or more and help all those through their lives which includes troubles, also. You get to be a Sunday School, Young Men and Women leader, teacher friend.

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    Aug. 24, 2012 9:49 a.m.

re: lost in DC
    I'm not going after Obama because he's not claiming that his charitable contributions are strictly between him and the Lord. To claim that revealing his contributions would be unholy, while simultaneously releasing them to the IRS to make a buck is hypocritical.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 9:51 a.m.

I think Mitt should provide his tax info when Obama finally provides his Birth Certificate.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Aug. 24, 2012 10:05 a.m.

According to an investigation by the AP, Mitt Romney’s campaign has been using a tactic called “data mining” to cull personal information about random Americans, with the goal of finding and targeting potential donors through advertisement. Two primary pieces of information the Romney campaign seeks are “purchasing history and church attendance” of potential donors, indicating that they are looking for high-spenders.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Aug. 24, 2012 10:14 a.m.

Well Read,

"The appearance that he is hiding something is out there. This one issue will not be the one thing that causes him to lose the nomination. I think it is just one of many indications. I think he is not living up to the LDS standards he professes to believe."

==========

As you say, the appearance is out there. In politics, success hinges on appearances. Romney is enough of a hard-nosed political realist to know that. In a Presidential race, hardball is how the game is played which is probably how he rationalizes the types of distortions that both he and Obama engage in against each other. Latter-day Saint ethics and morality have fallen casualty to politics in this election. That's not just sad for Romney and for the Church. It's ugly for America and the world how this type of politics makes both sides need to go take a shower.

• sergio Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 24, 2012 10:18 a.m.

Romney claims he is so concerned about the economy and the unemployment, but instead of keeping his billions in the USA and paying a fair tax to help the economy and unemployment he hides his billions outside the USA to avoid paying tax and helping America; so why should what he pays in tithing make him reluctant to show his tax returns if all is on the up and up, what is he hiding.

• MoJules Florissant, MO
    Aug. 24, 2012 10:19 a.m.

So I am just wondering, Reid said that a source told him about Romneys taxes. Maybe the IRS leaked that to Reid, since they seem to be in the pocket of liberals. Now I don't believe that, cause I don't believe Reid, but you have to wonder how that information could get out, only one way. Cause with as private as Romney is about himself, you think he really is going to blast to people what he does or doesn't pay in taxes? Right.

• Rifleman Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 24, 2012 10:34 a.m.

Re: Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    " .... and I have paid a higher percentage than ol' Mit, thanks for posing that question though."

One of the advantages of the internet is that I can make any unsubstantiated claim, make myself appear to be bigger, or more charitable than the next guy. It might impress you to know that I gave 300% of my gross to charity last year and single-handedly saved the lives of millions of artic foxes.

And yes, I do remember the story of the "the widow and the mite". Mr. Romney isn't the one trumpeting how much money he gave to charity.

• sergio Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 24, 2012 10:40 a.m.

RE: mjkkjk and others,

While you are arguing back and forth what you or others would or would not do, you are missing the point that is: you or I or others are not running for president of the United States. But Mitt Romney is, and therefore he is electing to be the face of and represent all American and the USA. And therefore we the voters and citizens should expect and demand the best of our leaders, and it makes no sense to say Mitt is bad, but Obama is just as bad. It is that kind of thinking and excuses that has given us scoundrels for political leaders.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Aug. 24, 2012 10:41 a.m.

"instead of keeping his billions in the USA and paying a fair tax to help the economy and unemployment he hides his billions outside the USA"

Sergio:

And if Obama is re-elected, if I were Mitt Romney, I would keep even MORE of MY money overseas. You see, Sergio, this is Romney's money, not Uncle Sam's.

And, Sergio, how much would be a "fair share"??? Give us a number.

• Getting it Right Sunnyvale, CA
    Aug. 24, 2012 11:22 a.m.

My vote is for Romney because I believe that under his presidency our country will be prosperous. If you work hard and be successful whether it be as an employee or have your own business, you will be rewarded and pat on the back.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 11:23 a.m.

Esquire,
    never seen such a dishonest politician? REALLY? You’ve NEVER seen BO or Nancy Pelosi? I’m not buying it.

Craig,
    You KNOW the intent of Ann Romney’s heart? Really? What other spiritual gifts are you claiming?

Wildcat,
    You know the intent of Mitt Romney’s heart? Really? What other spiritual gifts are you claiming?

OHBU,
    So you are giving BO a pass on not practicing what he preaches? BO refuses to pay any more taxes than he legally owes, which is his right, but BO says the rich (he being included in that group) SHOULD pay more, then he turns around and refuses to do what he says he should.

Christ also said to render unto Ceasr that which is Ceasar's, so Romney is well within Christ's teachings when he releases that information to the IRS. Your claim he does it to make a buck is non-sensical. Someone who has amassed a fortune knows better than to give $100 for a $4 tax benefit.

truthmocker,
    the same AP article says BO uses similar tactics. Why did you neglect to include that information in your comment?

• Furry1993 Clearfield, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 11:37 a.m.

My husband and I pay a full tithe (10%) on our gross. We choose not to take a deduction on it on our tax return because that would diminish the impact on us of the tithe since we would get an offset on our taxable amount. Our charitable donations to the LDS Church go to the Welfare Fund, Missionary Fund, disaster relief, etc. -- the conributions that actully help people instead of pay for the expenses of the Church (and, yes, we deduct THOSE charitable contributions on our tax returns). To us, that is what paying a full tithe really means. We also give liberally of our time and efforts. Somehow I don't think Romney does the same.

• Mad Hatter Provo, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 11:39 a.m.

The whole isssue of Romney's tax returns is based on how the wealthy manipulate and use the tax code for their own benefit. They have advantages which other people who pay their taxes without the benefit of special tax breaks do not.

What his tax returns will show is the way the tax code has been skewed over the years to benefit the wealthy in comparison to the much-less wealthy.

The complaint about tithing is just another ruse to avoid what the vast majority of people want. It doesn't matter how much money he made. It's how he is able to take advantage of his financial status to gain special consideration.

• UNLV HENDERSON, NV
    Aug. 24, 2012 11:47 a.m.

Newsflash: The IRS has Mitt Romney's tax returns. If there is something wrong with them, they can prosecute. If there's not anything wrong with them, why does Mitt have to release them?

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 11:52 a.m.

@Craig Clark

"...This explanation is inconsistent with his previous position...".

The core issue of the romney campaign.

• UNLV HENDERSON, NV
    Aug. 24, 2012 11:55 a.m.

I hope Romney has successfully decreased his tax burden by as much as possible. I say good for him. Any one of us would do the same. I would be worried about his business credentials if he didn't. The real issue is why is it that Americans find it necessary to put their money overseas and in tax havens. It says more about our ridiculous tax system than it does about Mitt Romney.

And I think the level of cynicism regarding Romney's comment that he doesn't want people to see his charitable contributions is disgusting. Just how much would you like him to brag about all of the money he gives away? It kind of defeats the purpose. It's pretty sad that so many people can't relate to that.

• Getting it Right Sunnyvale, CA
    Aug. 24, 2012 11:55 a.m.

I paid 15% into charitable contributions. I did not take any deductions on my tax return because I am patriotic. I paid more than you did and more than my fair share than you. Oh! I feel better now... I don't think this works...

• Republicantthinkstraigh Anywhere but, Utah, Utah
    Aug. 24, 2012 11:57 a.m.

Getting it right... Yeah, your getting it right with the CEO's and shareholders. The employees will continued to be underpaid and pay a higher percentage of taxes. Mitt would be happy to give you a pat on the back then a severance check when he sends your job overseas. Mitt will not win this election. The independent voters (me being one) are astonished at the numerous poor decisions made in this campaign. He has done a great job appealing to the no thought- just do as your told extreme right but nothing to appeal to me. Obama in a landslide. I'd give Pallin and Mccain a better chance to win this election.

• Flying Finn Murray, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 12:01 p.m.

@ Furry1993

There is nothing immoral about utilizing the tax deductions allowed by our tax laws. If you are paying an honest tithe wouldn't your God want to to spend the other 90% wisely. Giving extra money to the federal government is like giving more booze to an alcoholic. He'll waste what you give him and then want more.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Aug. 24, 2012 12:05 p.m.

re:LostinDC

From the AP article:
    "The effort by Romney appears to be the first example of a political campaign using such extensive data analysis. President Barack Obama's re-election campaign has long been known as data-savvy, but Romney's project appears to take a page from the Fortune 500 business world and dig deeper into available consumer data.

Romney's campaign has also been secretive about how it raises its money, and most fundraising events have been closed to the press. Unlike Obama, Romney's campaign has declined to publicly identify the names of major fundraisers, known as bundlers, who have helped amass much of its money."

"Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me."

Btw, What did Caesar use taxes for? Did he establish a social welfare program to help the elderly, children, indigent and disabled? Did he use taxes to fund wars? What?

• JWB Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 12:14 p.m.

The tax issue with elections is similar to the propsition 8 issue in California. When the list of donations got out, people were tenacious and vicious about those that donated and got to their businesses and personal lives similar to the ChicFilet problem a couple of weeks ago. Businesses lose money when some go after good people with good intentions and the God given freedoms we enjoy in America. People have a right to free speech but at what point to the people behave like vigilantes and disregard the law abiding people and their rights?

The Democrats want something to base their national convention on and the President's accomplishments or lack thereof is not what they want to do for a week. They don't want to spend time showing how much the Obamas have spent on their lavish vacations, events and the Obamacare issues. They can't do as they did four years ago when they arranged events in stadiums and brought people to those events to be activists as the President is not just an Illinois politician but the President of the United States of America, all people not just his cronies in Chicago. Team of Rivals?

• RedShirt USS Enterprise, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 12:14 p.m.

To "Furry1993" but even your tithing has some of the same effects as charitable contributions to other funds within the LDS church. Tithing goes to pay for buildings and equipment at Welfare Square. In paying for church buildings you are essentially building job training centers where people learn leadership skills through their callings at church. You are also building community centers where people gather, and are concerned with each others well being. You forget that through the Gospel people are blessed, and as the BoM shows, the more they embrace it, the wealthier their nations become.

You missed the story recently about Romney's time as a Bishop and Stake President (12 years total for the two callings). He has helped people with his time and money. He has shown that he does exactly as you do.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 12:22 p.m.

obama groupies,
    how the economy doing?
    how is the unemolyment rate?
    where's your boy's transcripts?
    who paid for his education?
    how did the genius get into Harvard when by his own admission he was stoned through much of HS?
    how he doing taking care of his half brother that is in poverty by third world standards?
    keep talking about issues that do not effect the US.
    obama will go down in the election and it will not be close because he has done NOTHING to make the US stronger since being in office.

• Getting it Right Sunnyvale, CA
    Aug. 24, 2012 12:25 p.m.

@Republicantthinkstraigh

I am a middle class and my boss is a CEO and shareholder and not Obama and the government. If my boss is doing well, I will do well and get my raise. Did you know that I haven't have a raise since Obama took office. If the government will taxed them to death, I won't have a job anymore. Who do you work for?

• embarrassed Utahn! Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 12:30 p.m.

Not only that, but Mitt's a real card a real comedian! Did you hear his "joke" about not having to show his birth certificate.
    It is a sad commentary on the quality of the candidate as Esquire mentioned.

• Flying Finn Murray, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 12:40 p.m.

Those worrying about how much tithing Mr. Romney has paid conveniently forget that US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner had not paid $35,000 in self-employment taxes for the years 2001–2004. His philosophy? Do as I say and not as I do.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 12:41 p.m.

He and Ann were perfectly willing to say they pay 10% and that when you at charitable contributions to taxes that pushes them over 20%. They aren't reluctant to disclose that... they just want an excuse for not revealing taxes that doesn't make it look like they have something to hide. I think most Americans aren't buying it.

• Lasvegaspam Henderson, NV
    Aug. 24, 2012 12:46 p.m.

MoJules: Both you and I and Mitt Romney feel uncomfortable with broadcasting our charitable giving and deeds because we understand and believe what the Master has instructed us: “But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth” (Matt. 6:3)

Ann Romney’s comment about how she weeps for joy because they are able to pay what they do in tithing is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever heard. God bless both of them. And may God bless their critics with the ability to recognize goodness and light.

• ute alumni Tengoku, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 12:48 p.m.

embarrassed utahn!
    rather than be embarrassed you might consider moving elsewhere

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 12:48 p.m.

@lost in DC
    "never seen such a dishonest politician? REALLY?"

He has openly blown off factcheckers that proved his "Obama wants to get rid of the work requirement for welfare" claim was false (he even requested what Obama did when he was Governor and Obama was following Gov. Herbert and Sandoval's request). He's lying about medicare (his plan isn't solvent at all, nor does he leave things unchanged for current beneficiaries since getting rid of obamacare reopens the doughnut hole for seniors). He's lying about abortion to somebody since he's supported the normal life of the mother etc exceptions but also said he'd support a ban on all abortion with no exceptions, and the Personhood amendment which also leaves no exceptions. Absolutely Romney is one of the biggest liars there are in politics.

• don17 Temecula, CA
    Aug. 24, 2012 1:10 p.m.

To:Furry 1993:

Your assessment of Mitt Romney is wrong. In an earlier post to this article I state the actual facts of taxes paid and donations made. Your attack of Romney as to what, how much or to what His and Ann's donations are used for is weak. WHY NOT TRY LOOKING UP THE FACTS BEFORE YOU BLINDLY ATTACK! Or don't ignore posted facts. My first post lists the lines from the tax returns and the ACTUAL REPORTED AMOUNTS.

Now as to the use of Donations that you attack the Romney's on.

Mitt and Ann Romney support the following charties besides the LDS church. These include time and money!

The Olympic Truce Foundation
    The Points of Light Foundation
    The Boy Scouts of America
    Chamber of Commerces, including Salt Lake City
    BYU School of Management
    Olympic Aid
    United Way of Massachusetts Bay
    Families First
    Best Friends Foundation
    Ann D Romney and W Mitt Romney Chatitable Trust

Doesn't sound like the evil guy you and others make him out to be WITH NO PROOF!

End the smear campaign!

Obama's the issue! His VP said The United States is in Recession!(ABC NEWS 6-27-12)

• PP Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 1:43 p.m.

From Business Insider - "In 2010, Mitt Romney took $3 million in charitable deductions on his tax return, against adjusted gross income of $22 million."

I'm not that good at math but that seems like a little more than 8% - in fact it's 14% - against gross not net. Maybe Kalindra was thinking of Biden who gave 0.8% in charitable donations, or maybe she is thinking of the current occupant of the white house who gave about 2%. What she is definitely thinking is that no matter what truth hit her in the face she would not vote for Romney. However, the most likely place the 8% came from is her imagination.

The one thing you see for sure on these posts is that no matter what answer is given about Romney's taxes the whiners will just find something else to lie about.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 1:44 p.m.

truthmocker,
    thank you for admiting BO also uses data mining. Whether BO tells who gives to him or not is beside the point, BO uses data mining.

Some Romney donors who have been disclosed have been persecuted by the press and other BO groupies. I'm GLAD Romney wants to protect his donors from harrasment.

BTW, did Christ qualify his charge to render unto Ceasar? Did he say, "only if Ceasar does such and such or doesn't do such and such"? I see no point in your last comment.

atl134,
    I see you cannot deny that BO and nancy are liars.
    cut the deficit in half
    reduce health care costs by $2500 per family
    Obamacare is not a tax
    no lobbyists in my administration
    open and transparent administration
    porkulus will keep unemployment under 8%
    all bills posted 2 days before being voted on
    BO has been all about jobs
    etc ad infinitum

and no, I put no credence in MSNBC or moveondotorg or huffingtonpost "factcheckers". Romney is right to blow them off.

If Romney has mispoken, nothing he has said has had so detrimental an impact as have the lies BO and his surrogates spew every day

• PP Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 1:44 p.m.

Happy Valley Heretic - no you didnt.

• PP Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 1:48 p.m.

Screwdriver
    Casa Grande, AZ

Compound interest. WOW.

--------

LOL - clearly you don't know anything about Reid's history do you.

• PP Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 2:09 p.m.

Furry1993 - First off you are claiming that you are "better" than Romney because you dont claim tithing on your taxes. Aside from being a ridiculous thing to do, you are contradicting what the prophet has said. There are many people that claim to be extra righteous because the do things that are not required by the church. At best they are self righteous - at worst they are apostate. The bottom line is, the church provides tax forms for you every year. Kind of a strange thing to do if the "proper" course is to not deduct tithing as a charitable donation. The truth is, you are throwing away your money on a misplaced moral superiority.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 2:22 p.m.

@lost in DC
    I see you can't refute any of the three examples I made about Romney's lies.

"cut the deficit in half"
    That's not a lie, it's a goal that wasn't achieved in part because it relies on actually getting Congress to take care of it.

"reduce health care costs by $2500 per family"

"Obamacare is not a tax"

Romney has argued that Obamacare's penalty is a tax but that his mandate penalty is not. Tax, fee, penalty, I don't care what it is they all in effect mean the same thing in the context. I think both play political games on that one.

"porkulus will keep unemployment under 8%"

That was a projection their models were showing in September 2008. The model severely underestimated the recession and it was obvious when he took the oath of office that no matter what he did unemployment would get over 8%. It was 8% when they passed the stimulus before it could even get started. Job losses decreased rapidly afterwards.

• Ultra Bob Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 2:22 p.m.

Prior to the republican campaign elect Romney for president I was a fan of Mitt Romney.
    The amount of hate, lies and phony slander about President Obama has given me cause to fight back with the same weapons against Mitt Romney.

About his taxes. I think Romney would be more likely to report his income to the church most honestly and to the IRS mostly dishonestly. The 10% tithing rule might indicate that Romney had much more income than the IRS reporting requires. The discrepancy between the two might/would be embarrassing to Romney when viewed by ordinary people and thus would be a very good reason for keeping it secret.

Further, if the breakdown of the taxable charity deduction was such that would indicate an unpopular character of the man, like as if the LDS church deduction was 100% with zero to other American charities, voters might question his basic motivation.

In any case, I would like to have complete and accurate knowledge of the character, loyalty and philosophy of the men chosen to lead. While that is probably not possible, I would try my best to find it out.

• Flying Finn Murray, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 2:55 p.m.

embarrassed Utahn! writes "Did you hear his "joke" about not having to show his birth certificate."

If Mr. Obama would conduct himself like the President of The United States instead of a hate monger he wouldn't open himself up for such jokes. Unfortunately there is serious doubt about the authenticity of Mr. Obama's alleged birth certificate.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Aug. 24, 2012 3:14 p.m.

I'm not LDS but frankly this excuse is offensive to me. He seems to be using his Church affiliation when it serves his purposes and saying its none of anyone's business when it doesn't. Whether he releases his tax returns or not is his choice, but come on, let's not try to bring the Church into it.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Aug. 24, 2012 4:03 p.m.

I had a favorable view of Mitt Romney when he was Governor of Massachusetts. He was able to work with Democrats and compromise for the public good. He struck me as one of the more reasonable Republicans whom I might be able to vote for. But the moment he left office, he began posturing for the hard right. Now he uses his payment of church tithes to shield his tax payments from public scrutiny in the weeks before a Presidential election. This isn’t the man I once thought I knew.

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 4:34 p.m.

atl134
    making excuses for the lies does not change the fact that they are lies.

"cut the deficit in half"
    not a lie? Taking the deficit from $900 billion to $1.8 trillion is cutting it in half? Each of BO's deficits is higher than anything before. What kind of fuzzy math are you using?

"reduce health care costs by $2500 per family"

"Obamacare is not fully implemented yet. This remains to be seen whether or not it's accurate once we get to that stage."

the most recent estimate for the cost is that it is 3X what BO orginally projected, and STILL you claim you beleive ANY of what he said about Obamacare? I wonder if you'd believe him if he said we can breath solid dirt.

"Obamacare is not a tax"

The SCOTUS determined it was.

"porkulus will keep unemployment under 8%"

Unemployemnt was 7.7% when he took over. It has not been below 8% since, not matter how you spin it.

and what about BO's lies that if you like your current insurance, you can keep it? False.

Craig,
    and BO has shown a willingness or ability to work with repubs? REALLY??

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 24, 2012 5:16 p.m.

@ anneray: I am well aware of the fact that there are charitable contributions other than tithing - but if you pay 2% to a charity and 10% to tithing, that makes your contribution amount 12% -not less than 8%.

No matter how you slice and dice it, Romney did not pay a full tithe - especially since the less than 8% is on his adjusted income, not his actual income.

Unless of course you are arguing that tithing does not count as a charitable deduction for tax purposes - in which case it has nothing to do with Romney not releasing his tax forms....

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    Aug. 24, 2012 5:20 p.m.

Harry Reid is still not running for president. He's still not the first presidential candidate with overseas accounts and a penchant for tax irregularites like Mitt proved to have while running for govenor.

Not long from now, the GOP will be back to demanding tax records from anyone running for office just like Mitt has demanded from every political opponent he has ever had.

And Mitt is the first presidential candidate to use Mormonism as the excuse for his secrecy even though he has been telling us allready how much he gives to the chuch. He was bragging about it just a week ago "that it put his taxes above 20% if you include tithing.

He just won't tell us how much he gives to the country.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 24, 2012 5:26 p.m.

@ Rifleman: Since I am not LDS, I didn't pay any tithing. I am also not running for President of the US and claiming that I can't release my tax records because of my charitable donations. Nor am I claiming that even though my tax burden is so very low, it is actually higher because of the charitable contributions I made.

Romney has issued for different excuses for not releasing his taxes: Obama would distort the numbers and use them for political gain, he is not a business, his wife doesn't want him to, and his charitable contributions are personal. Which one are we supposed to believe?

@ Lost in DC: Please explain to me how you can calculate a full tithe of 10% and have it show on your taxes as less than 8% of you adjusted gross income - and please remember, God is the one you have to justify it to.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 5:28 p.m.

Tax experts who've begun to examine the Bain documents released Thursday (by Gawker) are raising questions as to whether Romney has paid all the taxes he owed.

At issue are two tax-avoidance techniques employed by Bain which have been commonly used in the private equity world but have come under increasing legal scrutiny.

The first scheme involves owning U.S. dividend-paying stocks in an offshore account and pretending, for accounting purposes, not to own the stock. Instead, the taxpayer tells the IRS that he owns a derivative product that is identical to the stock, except it isn't the stock, so therefore no U.S. taxes are owed. It's called a "total return equity swap," because the buyer still gets the benefit, the "total return", of owning the stock, or equity.

The second technique is "not legal," according a tax expert and professor of law at the University of Colorado. A taxpayer saves substantial amounts of money by pretending that regular income received as a management fee for running a private equity firm is not income, but is instead a capital gain. That drops the tax rate on that income from 35 percent to 15 percent.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Aug. 24, 2012 5:48 p.m.

Obviously Romney thinks that the fallout from releasing his taxes is worse than not releasing them.

Should he? Obviously his call.

But, I sincerely dont believe it has anything to do with tithing amount. Just my opinion.

I didnt attack him. I just doubt his answer.

I strongly agree that Romney has done nothing illegal concerning his taxes.

But, I feel the same about GE.

Consistency is all I look for.

• SoCalChris Riverside, CA
    Aug. 24, 2012 6:26 p.m.

My jaw dropped at this statement by Furry 1993: "We also give liberally of our time and efforts. Somehow I don't think Romney does the same."

Romney gave his entire salary and severance package (about $1.4 million) earned from the SLC Olympics to charity. In addition to that the Romneys contributed $1 million to the Olympic organizing committee. These numbers are on Snopes.

How about the fact that he didn't take a salary during his 4 years as Governor of Massachusetts? The $1 million inheritance from his father he donated to a scholarship fund? As a bishop and stake president I think it's safe to say he was liberal with his time and efforts as well.

There are areas where Mitt Romney may be vulnerable to attack, but generosity is not one of them.

• Tiger5 Cache county, USA
    Aug. 24, 2012 6:45 p.m.

Furry.

You are passing judgement. What's the point of your spiritual life, if all we do is pass judgement.

Screwdriver.

193k a year is chump change, when you understand Harry's wealth.
    I ask again, how did Harry land those sweet deals?

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Aug. 24, 2012 6:48 p.m.

Ultra bob.

Does Obama provide that to you

• Barnbug1 SPANISH FORK, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 9:42 p.m.

At least he pays taxes, unlike some of President Obama's political buddies. It's funny, not one person on this site cared for one second about Romney's tax return 3 months ago. If the media told you to jump off a cliff would you do it? Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• utesovertide Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2012 10:38 p.m.

Liberals, why not make a deal with the conservatives? Romney's 10 years of tax returns for Obama's 70,000 pages of "Fast and Furious documents he is witholding in contempt of Congress.

By the way, Reagan only released 1 year of tax returns and did just fine as a president.

• don17 Temecula, CA
    Aug. 25, 2012 9:36 a.m.

To:Kalindra:

Your assessment of Romney's taxes is wrong. I quoted LINE 22 of the Romney taxes which is the TOTAL INCOME LINE. No deductions taken. Your math is incorrect on this point. Please take a look at the postings I made earlier in the comment section. For example, Romney's gross income in 2011 is estimated at 20,900,000 dollars and his donations ate over 4 million dollars. Well above 8% and well Above 12%. 2010 is similar. Again, I have taken the Romney numbers right from the tax forms filed! Donations for the Romney's include nearly 20% of income. That does not include all the time given to charities they have supported for years. Those are also listed in the comment section here earlier.

Again, your hit piece is just that a HIT Piece full of incorrect information and incorrect assumptions and comments! Because of your incorrect info you have gone after 5 other posters incorrectly!

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Aug. 25, 2012 11:31 a.m.

@Lost in DC

Admittedly, I just typed that in for fun to counter the Jeremiah Wright, Birtherism, NRA nuts, anti-UN, etc.

Romney does keep a lot of his money outside the US--so, it does beg the question, why does he hate America? Can you imagine what the Tea drinkers would be saying if the situation were reversed?

I have no special spiritual gifts, but I have prayed about whether I should support him--and the answer is NO! Romney's budget is more in line with King Noah than King Benjamin.

Hope the Romney Gazette a.k.a. D-NEWS, can pick up the pieces when Romney loses.

Have a blessed day everybody.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 25, 2012 1:16 p.m.

re:Don17

Romney hasn't released his 2011 tax return yet.

For 2010:
    Adjusted gross income: 21,646,507
    Charitable contributions;(rounded up):$3,000,000 (includes cash and non-cash ie donations of stock)
    The cash contributions, 8% went to the LDS church. The non-cash contributions went to the Tyler Foundation (Romney's foundation). The Tyler Foundation could've donated to the church.

Total charitable contributions=13.9% of income in charitable contributions.

This whole discussion is ridiculous. The fact remains the Romneys, and other wealthy people have vast amounts of disposable income. So whether they give 10% or 20% is immaterial in the sight of God who pointed out that the widow gave of her want while the rich gave of their abundance and were prideful.

• don17 Temecula, CA
    Aug. 25, 2012 1:55 p.m.

To laggie: I have taken the Romney tax info for 2011 from his filed 2011(estimated) tax form that was waiting on documentation. The estimated income is complete as is the amounts of the deductions and amounts paid in taxes and donations made. My information remains correct. I have taken the info posted directly from the 2011 tax form(estimates) with payments made. Again, to finalize his taxes Romney is waiting on other documents the IRS needs. Taxes paid, donations made and income earned are done.

Your disagreeing over something trivial when it is a fact Mr. Romney and his wife made donations in excess of 4 million dollars. My previous post still stands correct!

Now lets discuss what you should be worried about:

Like 25 million people not earning incomes to file taxes from!

Why 253,000 Small Businesses are no longer paying taxes? Gone out of business the last 4 years.

Why are 47 plus million people on food stamps now?

Why does Obama avoid 8th and Figeruoa in Los Angeles when he comes to LA? Answer: So he can avoid the Thousands of people mulling around the Salvation Army Center! Doesn't look good on TV!

• The Taxman Los Angeles, CA
    Aug. 25, 2012 2:28 p.m.

Gawker reports that Romney has 20 secret hedge funds and other cash stashed in foreign banks. The partnerships and limited liability corporation account for a minimum of $10,069,000 of Romney's assets in 2011 and yielded $913,300 in income, according to his 2012 financial disclosure.

In addition, Bain documents indicate Romney may be participating in total return equity swaps, a scheme that involves owning U.S. dividend-paying stocks in an offshore account and pretending, for accounting purposes, not to own the stock. The dividends earned would not be reported on his tax return.

In addition, it looks like he is probably using "blocker corporations" to not report income in the U.S.

Bottom line here is you can't really quote percentages and draw conclusions about what percentage of income he gives to charity, etc. because we do not know how much income he has earned abroad and not included on his U.S. tax return.

• The Taxman Los Angeles, CA
    Aug. 25, 2012 5:26 p.m.

@Don17

The notion that Romney has "filed" an estimated tax return is simply false. The only U.S. 2011 tax form Romney has filed is Form 4868, "Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return". The Form is very simple (less than a half page) and only asks for 4 numbers: (1) Estimate of total tax liability for 2011, (2) Total 2011 payments, (3) Balance due and (4) Amount you are paying with the extension request.

The "estimated tax return" you are quoting from is an unfiled, unofficial release to the press for damage control purposes (so he can pretend he has released two years). He has said the real Form will not be released until October 15th (which incidentally is the last possible filing date that his return can be extended).

Romney's main problem is trust. Democrats don't trust him, Independents don't trust him, and (as we saw in the Republican primaries) even members of his own party don't trust him. His financial shenanigans and refusal to disclose his tax returns are feeding into the general distrust.

• Screwdriver Casa Grande, AZ
    Aug. 25, 2012 5:32 p.m.

Tiger5,

Do you have any examples of "sweet deals" Harry Reid got. Are they sweeter than Romney's deals that left companies broke and that caused the pension funds to have to be covered by the federal government? (Dade Behring Inc)

But go ahead and write a letter about Harry Reid
    s investements. This is about Romney's taxes.

• sergio Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 25, 2012 10:23 p.m.

Re: don17,

You seem to know a lot about Romney's tax returns so can you please give a break down of how much Romney paid in US Income Tax. It is understood that he could not avoid paying tax like property tax on his many mansions, and sales tax on his luxury car pruchase, but what did he pay in Income Tax. That is the question people want answered.

• odenz1 waimanalo, GU
    Aug. 26, 2012 10:50 p.m.

" I cry when I write my tithing check." are you serious!!!!! Why???? because you're so grateful that your checks have alot of zeroes at the end of it????? COME ONE..Publican and Pharisee...Widows mite....!!! Read, ponder and apply. Tithing IS NOT ABOUT MONEY!!!! and Fasting IS NOT ABOUT FOOD!!!! I pray that those who study the actions of Mr. Mitt Romney, come to the knowledge that he is a man. That the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is exactly what the title says, and just like times of old,when Christ dwelt upon the earth. The Church was true, the people were works in progress. Jesus is was and always will be the only source of perfection.

• odenz1 waimanalo, GU
    Aug. 26, 2012 11:39 p.m.

I apologize for the misspelling. I meant to write COME ON!!!!! not COME ONE!!!!!.
    So her it is COME ON!!!!!!

• odenz1 waimanalo, GU
    Aug. 26, 2012 11:54 p.m.

"here" ...lol..sorry

• county mom Monroe, UT
    Aug. 27, 2012 7:13 a.m.

Esquire, Aug 24th 5:49 am. I can not believe you are calling Mitt dishonest. President Obama can't even remember which lie he told when! He is the biggest liar I have ever seen and I have been around for several Presidential liars. Obama,"The middle class is doing fine." "You didn't build that." Fast and Furious documentation seal and executive privilage. Obama has spent millions to keep his records from the public so he can continue to lie to the entire nation! There have been several presidents that have flat out lied to us! Clinton lied, "I didn't have sexual relations with that woman!"
    Carter may have not been much of a president but he is an honest man and the last honest democrat president.

• LoveLife Riverton, UT
    Aug. 27, 2012 11:21 a.m.

I don't know what all of you are so worried about. I expect Romney's taxes will be released.

These things just have a way of working themselves out.

Ask Blair Hull and Jack Ryan.

• sergio Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 27, 2012 11:32 a.m.

country mom,

The question is: that when people take quotes like,"You didn't build that." out of context and twist it to their own advantage to attack the person they dislike; then are they not liars themselves for distorting the truth. That is one of the problems with Americian politics: dishonest politicians generate a lot of liars in their support.

• 1aggie SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 27, 2012 12:53 p.m.

re:county mom

Recommendations:

#1 Don't believe anything you get in chain e-mails which are almost always false.

#2 Take 2 mins. each day and visit politifact (com) and/or factcheck (org)

Dare to become more enlightened.

• JustGordon Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 27, 2012 4:25 p.m.

Romney's father tithed, but had no similar reluctance. Why should his son?!

This is a pathetic excuse to keep the American public in the dark about tax rates, sources of income, use of tax shelters and how much money he had stashed overseas. We already know he gave 10% perhaps more...or maybe there was money he didn't tithe on and that is the problem!

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Aug. 31, 2012 12:41 p.m.

To me this is a valid reason to not dosclose tax returns. I personally think we expect candidates to expose themselves too much to the public eye. We focus on things that have no real relevancy.

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Aug. 31, 2012 12:46 p.m.

I suspect what he may not want to have to spell out is his contributions to other aspects of the Church. There may be some large ones that he gave with the intention of keeping them below the radar. Thus he would not want to make his tax returns public. This makes sense to me.