High school football: Parry's Power Guide, Week 1

Comments

• Pac 12 Fever Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2012 7:14 p.m.

HS football is the best! Couple questions....Keatns a 95 rating with losing all those players? And Timpview only 88? Sp Fork 90? Wow.

Alta has never won at Timpview. And TV in the last 7 years since 2005 is 47-1 at home. Tough place to win.

If Alta goes down there and does win, I bet it's barely. Upsets to Parrys system?

TView, Davis, PG, Orem, and Mple Mtn.

Granted week 1 and rating a team without seeing them play is a crapshoot. But Parry buying into WX hype already is interesting after they went 4-6 last year and picked to finish 4th in their Region by both coaches and Dnews..yet Parry has them 4th in State..?

• eagle Provo, UT
    Aug. 15, 2012 7:47 p.m.

Kanab over North Sevier
    Pleasant Grove over Kearns (not close)
    Layton over Hunter
    Layton Christian over ALA
    Northridge over Logan (upset special)
    Lone Peak over Bountiful (game is closer than people expect
    Maple Mountain over Morgan
    Mountain Crest over Mountain View
    Bear River over North Sanpete
    Riverton over Hillcrest
    Roy over Clearfield
    Snow Canyon over San Juan
    Sky View over Olympus
    Gunnison over South Sevier
    South Summit over Altamont
    Spanish Fork over Park City
    Stansbury over Uintah (this one get ugly)
    Syracuse over Desert Hills
    Timpanogos over Lehi
    Westlake over Provo (game could be closer than people think)
    Woods Cross over Viewmont (WX is for real)

• eagle Provo, UT
    Aug. 15, 2012 7:55 p.m.

Alta over Timpview (much closer than Parry Poll shows)
    North Summit over Beaver
    Union over Ben Lomond
    Bingham over West Jordan (big!)
    Bonneville over Ogden
    Box Elder over Weber
    Davis over Brighton (no ties this year but game is close, hard hitting and defensive)
    American Fork over Cedar City
    Copper Hills over Taylorsville
    Murray over Cyprus
    Dixie over Springville
    East over Pine View
    Richfield over Emery
    Diamond Ranch over Enterprise
    Carbon over Grand
    Granger over Payson
    Wasatch over Grantsville
    Herriman over Orem (the game of the week!)
    Highland over West
    Hurricane over Skyline
    Jordan over Fremont (Jordan wins comfortably in marquee match-up)
    Juab over Canyon View
    Juan Diego over Salem Hills
    Judge Memorial over Tooele

• 4BS St George, UT
    Aug. 15, 2012 10:34 p.m.

I guess you have to start somewhere, but this isn't college, how do you rate some of these teams so high when they graduated all their good players? I guess it's just based on reputation. I think that Parry will be lucky to get 50 percent right.

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Aug. 15, 2012 11:34 p.m.

Even though Herriman is the favorite at Orem...Parry gives the edge to Orem!!! Does Parry know something we don't???

I believe this will be a good game since Herriman is ranked #14 and Orem is ranked #20, plus I don't know what kind of home-field advantage Orem has.

In the end...Herriman wins this game decidedly. The defense will be too much for Orem's spread offense. The defense touts 10 returning letterwinners, 8 returning starters and 4 D-I prospects...and may have the best defensive backfield in the state. The offense is a mix of youth and experience. However, the skill positions are potent. The 6 skill positions are among the best in Utah and will move the ball and put points on the board.

Look for this game to be close in the 1st quarter and then for Herriman to run away in the 2nd quarter with points scored by the offense and defense.

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2012 9:59 a.m.

Where's Friday Night Rider?

• Bench Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2012 3:34 p.m.

Hey BigBenzo. "The 6 skill positions are among the best in Utah" Really? Solid RB. Good QB with average arm and average accuracy and great running ability. Who else? I saw you play several times last year, your TE dropped at least 5 wide open passes, your WR were little and could not block. I am not sure about your returning WRs, but there are teams like Jordan, Bingham and CW who are loaded at WR. Who are the 6 sikill players you are referring to?

That being said... I do think Herriman should have a shot to make it to the quarters, maybe the semi-finals. I thought your Defense was solid last year, and if you have that much talent returning, you will be in every game.

Good Luck. I will try and watch you guys play a few times. I am out in Riverton.

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Aug. 16, 2012 4:15 p.m.

@Bench - I can tell you are an educated & observant fan of the game...which is good. The 6 skill players I am referring to are the TB, QB, TE, FB, WR, WR.

Our TB led Utah in rushing last year, so I say he is the best. D-I recruit.

Our QB is a beast at 6'2" 250lbs. His accuracy was average last year, but he has improved and is unstoppable when he runs in the open field. D-I recruit on defense.

Our TE was 1st Team All-Region last year and yet in still is probably the most improved on our team.

So out of our 6 skill players, our RB, QB and TE are the only returning starters from last year. We upgrade at FB and our two WRs.

Our FB is a beast at 6'1" 225lbs. He is our returning All Region Middle Linebacker from last year and will be playing both ways.

Our 2 WRs are both 6'1" 195lbs and only played defense last year. They are both our All-Region Strong Safeties from last year and will be be playing both ways. Both are D-I recruits on defense.

• FRiDAY NiGHT RiDER Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2012 9:18 p.m.

High School Football is back! Here are my first picks for the 2012 Season.

Alta 27 Timpview 24
    Roy 19 Clearfield 3
    Stansbury 33 Uintah 8
    Syracuse 21 Desert Hills 10
    Timpanogos 24 Lehi 14
    Viewmont 24 Woods Cross 20
    Westlake 34 Provo 16

Good luck to all teams this year! Especially the Mustangs of Mountain Crest! It's the most wonderful time of the year!!!

• slcftball Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2012 10:34 p.m.

To all who don't know BigBeenos

He usually talks big then after about 5th game he disappears

This year may be different, as I think Herriman will be good. But last year he predicted an undefeated season blah blah blah

Plz Beeno keep it real and we will all root for Herriman a little

But in 4A alone, I have watched you and Timpview, WX. Logan, Mtn Crest, Tompanogas all have a better 6 than Herriman.

• BigBenzo88 Herriman, UT
    Aug. 17, 2012 1:55 a.m.

@slcftball - I didn't disappear last year after the 5th game and definitely will not disappear this year.

I did predict an undefeated season last year...and if memory serves me correct...we cam within 17 points of going 10-0. Finishing 8-4 in our second season and going to the playoffs for the 2nd time in as many years has never been done by any team in the history of Utah football.

As far as keeping it real...I'm always 100% and Herriman doesn't need anyone rooting for them except Mustang fans!!!

I don't agree that teams have a better 6 at the skills positions. Herriman was 2nd in 4A and 4th in Utah in total offense. We have the leading rusher in the state and have upgraded at the FB and WR positions. I have not watched Timpview, Woods Cross or Mountain Crest...so I cannot comment. However, we played against Logan and Timpanogos and other than Logan's Nelson, who is no longer there, I was not overly impressed by the skill players from Logan or Timpanogos. We actually beat Timpanogos by 3 TDs and most of their points came against our JV.

• hsfbfan2511 ,
    Aug. 17, 2012 9:05 a.m.

Bigbenzo-

I know the Herriman Program very very well. I am around it constantly. Now lets not get ahead of ourselves and start predicting all of these records and scores lets just beat Orem tonight 1 game at a time please. By you posting all of this blabber and nonsense i love the support but lets not give these other teams bulletin board material we dont need it and we dont want it.... Lets just keep our mouths shut and do our talking with our helmets and shoulder pads like our boys know how to do. I love the passion and love the support but seriously lets not get ahead of ourselves. 1 play at a time 1 game at a time and when all is said and done we will see where we are at the end of the season.

DEAL?

Thanks

Mustang Supporter

• Bulldog1995 South Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 17, 2012 12:38 p.m.

BigBenzo, you don't need to listen to anyone above. If anything, as a player, I appreciated die-hard fans as they would help fuel the fire to go out and win. It's guys like you that actually keep people interested in our players and may even get attention from scouts and colleges as well.
    The only thing I'm worried about your team is the same for what happened to Westake. Great players with a whole bunch of talent came in and the coaches laid it to waste. They had more talent than any other 4A team last year and finished 4-6 (granted they should have beaten Timpview at Timpview in the Qtrs).
    We play them tonight and as bad as we are this year, we will beat them as they may be one of the worst teams in the state this year (they lost Tevita who recruited all their great players from Hawaii).
    Good luck on your season.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Aug. 17, 2012 1:25 p.m.

FNR, I like most of your picks but Woods Cross and Sky View will both win.

• UC Baller Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 17, 2012 4:19 p.m.

Uummm. Provo guy. How do you figure Westlake should have beat Timpview? They didn't and never will in the near future. Sorry .

• FRiDAY NiGHT RiDER Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 18, 2012 1:47 a.m.

Sports Nutz- Very nice man! I should have taken you're advice. Woods Cross ana Sky View surprised me this opening night. Good job to the Mustangs of Mountain Crest!!! 54-14 over Mountain View!!!

• TheOfficalCall Spanish Fork, UT
    Aug. 21, 2012 9:15 a.m.

Parry was correct 82% of the time.