Utah

Doug Robinson: Women win big in Games — at what cost?

Comments

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2012 10:51 p.m.

Let's face it, someone always gets marginalised. A lot of people take a bother with women not getting recognition in sport; not as many take to the streets for more representation for men. It is interesting that professional sports still are really quite male dominated. I don't think I could name even one professional female basketball player, yet I could name whole rosters of NBA teams. Women are not really given as much recognition on the professional sport circuit, but I think that there is much more opportunity on the lower levels for them to participate. I commend women who participate in sports, and I think it will never be "fair" for everyone who wants to participate. That's the problem with affirmative action. I am glad my daughters have opportunity to play, but I wish my son could maybe play volleyball in high school.

• mstant SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 13, 2012 11:20 p.m.

You are kidding right. Now we are blaming female athletes for something the gov't mandated? Give me a break.

• AEP Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 8:42 a.m.

Men's funding has been cut from something near 100%, and you find that intolerable.

Women's funding has been increased from something near 0%, and you find that intolerable.

Selfish, much?

• vinniecat Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 8:46 a.m.

"there isn't as much interest in athletics among females." Seriously? Where'd all these female olympians come from?

• shimmer Orem, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 9:51 a.m.

Maybe women are rising to the occasion and men are just too busy watching Sunday Night Football...

• Reporterson Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 10:45 a.m.

When I came to Utah in 1978, the U cut the men’s gymnastics team and built the women’s program because of Title IX. I did not come to the U for gymnsatics, but I was a state champion from the east coast and would have tried out for the men’s team.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 11:09 a.m.

Before we get too caught up in the men vs. women debate, a lot of people need to remember the USA men actually did pretty well in several events at this year's Olympic games which in other recent Olympics they have not done well in. Here are a few examples.

-Galen Rupp won silver in the Men’s 10,000 meters, the first American to medal in this race since 1964.

-Leonel Manzano won silver in the Men’s 1500 meters, the first American to medal in this event since 1968.

-Ashton Eaton and Trey Hardee won gold and silver respectively in the decathlon, the first time U.S. men finished first and second in the decathlon since 1956.

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 11:14 a.m.

Doug, you're absolutely right.

Adjustments should have been made to compensate for the lower interest levels among females in participating in sports. When a college has 5,000 male students and 5,000 females, it is very unfair to provide equal funding for men's and women's sports if 500 men want to participate compared with 100 women.

Of course, you're also right in saying that the media have failed to report on the unfairness. They'd rather put their energy into road trippin' and happy chatter.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 11:18 a.m.

David Boudia won gold in the Men’s 10 meter platform dive, the first American to win gold in this event since Greg Louganis in 1988.

Jordan Burroughs and Jake Varner won gold in their respective weight classes in men’s freestyle wrestling. The first time the USA won two gold medals in Men’s freestyle since 1996.

Aries Merritt and Jason Richardson won gold and silver respectively in the Men’s 110 meter hurdles. The first time the USA won gold and silver in this event since 1996.

• COUGARNATE Lyman, WY
    Aug. 14, 2012 11:37 a.m.

What a travesty. Title IX is good at its core, allowing for more women to compete, but leaving young men behind. There is no secret that football brings in most of the money for universities through athletics, and without football almost none of these women sports could exist, so why not exempt football and allow a few more young men the opportunity to gain scholarships, instead of dropping them like a bad habit. Title IX has created inequality, not solved it.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 11:46 a.m.

Even if you were to take away all the medals the USA women won, the USA men still did better than all but six countries, men and women combined.

I have a hard time believing USA men's athletics, even at the Olympics, are going to be extinct in my lifetime.

• Z South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 12:10 p.m.

You get results in whatever you subsidize, and proportionately greater emphasis is being placed on women's sports at the college level than on men's sports. Thus, no one should be surprised at the long term trends. Doug is merely pointing out the results of the law of unintended consequences.

• Just an Observer Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 12:32 p.m.

Other than the fact that universities end up dropping viable men's programs to try to equalize gender numbers, what bothers me is I hear too often of universities going out of their way to recruit girls for sports in which they had no prior interest. I knew of a girl who got her Stanford education paid for because Stanford found her and asked her to join their water polo team. She was a bigger girl who of course was a swimmer, but this premium education fell into her lap because of Title IX. I separately remember a few years ago Arizona State--in the desert--recruiting girls for their rowing team. Sounds like something that requires a "rimshot." How I wish my daughter--a regular, bright girl, who, like many of her friends (as the article pointed out) has little interest in sports--had the desire to play something like lacrosse, as the four daughters of another family I know do. All of them have received scholarships for playing a game that, while exciting, I'm sure, nevertheless generates very little interest among most people in this country.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Aug. 14, 2012 12:32 p.m.

What a very sad piece the DN decided to run. Is this more that women should be baking cookies for their hard working men series? Good grief, American women did great because many other countries don't think their women deserve the right to compete. Look at the female Saudi runner who didn't even get any coverage in her own home country. The international competition just isn't there, where as even in American dominated sports like basketball we are seeing more global parity. Of course there isn't competition in women's basketball... women don't play the sport in other countries.

This isn't about de-emphasizing mens sports, but global parity. Is the American woman's soccer program better because it stole resources from mens soccer - or is it because girls in other nations don't play sport to the level that girls in this country play sport?

Just perhaps our women are competing at higher levels not at the expense of mens sports. America is the champion of equal opportunity. It is very sad that the DN feels this opportunity has come at the cost of men. Women can succeed without men loosing.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 1:14 p.m.

I must disagree with UtahBlueDevil. With BYU dropping wrestling and men's gymnastics, and with Utah dropping men's gymnastics as Reporterson mentioned, I do think it is very much at the expense of men's athletics. Men's soccer is another one that comes to mind. Because of the number of boys there are that play soccer, and given that only about half of the schools in the country sanction NCAA men's soccer teams, it is extremely difficult for a boy to get a full-ride soccer scholarship. But it is well-known to those who follow the sport that a very high percentage of girls who play soccer end up with soccer scholarships, because the number of girls playing soccer still lags far behind the boys, while virtually every university fields a women's soccer team.

• Stephen Kent Ehat Lindon, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 1:31 p.m.

We call K-12 "pubic education" but in reality it's "government education."

College and professional sports actually are the entertainment industry, with one feeding into the other.

International athletic competition is not merely a competition between and among athletes and the nutritional and health advantages of athletes. It is also a competition between and among the various governments that intervene in one way or another, for good or bad, in the systems that feed athletes into that international competition.

The Olympics may well be as much a competition between and among the governments as between and among the athletes.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 1:46 p.m.

OOPS! Earlier I said if you took away all the medals won by USA women, the USA men still did better than all but six countries, men and women combined, in medals won.

Upon further investigation I've discovered the USA men did better than all but THREE countries, men and women combined, in medals won.

Personally speaking, I believe Title IX could use some reform, especially in Prong #1 of its compliance rule, but PLEASE let's not overlook how wonderful both the USA men and women did in this year's Olympics.

I've already cited some examples of the men performing above the normal and I could sit more if you like.

• Eric Samuelsen Provo, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 2:01 p.m.

Uh, football's a loss leader for most college athletic departments. And last I checked, football is played with 11 guys on the field at the time. Cut football scholarships to 40, and lots more scholarship would be freed up for men's wrestling.

• Ltrain St. George, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 4:13 p.m.

I agree with cougarnate. Football should be exempt, because other than men's basketball, is the only sport to actually support itself. Here's an idea... If the sport at a university can't sustain itself at say 75%, then it should be placed at a club level and no state money, including raiding the football program, is used. Give the scholarships to people that academically deserve them instead of someone who can kick a little ball into a net but only 150 pay to attend and watch.

• CB Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 5:22 p.m.

Thank you for writing this article. It points out all the fallacy of trying to make things
    "equal". Sorry, but I fail to find any interest in women behaving like men, and involved
    in sports that just masculinize them. The woman's movement has done just that along with the
    killing of hundred of thousands of others of their own sex by abortion. "You've come a long way
    Baby!"

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 6:28 p.m.

Speaking from my corner of manhood, we'll get over it.

• my point of view south jordan, ut
    Aug. 14, 2012 10:26 p.m.

Seriously, another article written by Doug Robinson about how unfair life is for all these poor male athletes?? Really? Boo Hoo! Cry me a river. I'm more than a little tired of reading how unfair life is for men, pa-lease!!! Apparently it's ok when the cards are stacked against the girls, but how dare the boys ever have a program cut. I have two kids, one boy, one girl who have both EARNED college athletic scholarships!! Please don't insult my daughter and her years of hard work by saying that it was somehow handed to her. Trust me she worked just as hard as her brother to get where she is. As stated above, 100 football scholarships is beyond ridiculous, so please quit with that argument. Also, Mr Robinson, please know what your writing about, unlike what your article states, gymnastics IS a team sport, and yes our girls brought home the gold. Also, the soccer argument is beyond crazy! Men have major league soccer yet have struggled since way before title IX, woman on the other hand are constantly competitive, yet have to hope for pick up games for practice. Give me a break!!

• Bob Bruce Stamford, CT
    Aug. 14, 2012 10:59 p.m.

From my experience this article is spot on. I wrestled for the University of Connecticut from '74-'76. After completing a two year mission for the Church I returned to find the wrestling programs cut from every New England college campus. My only form of retribution and solace is refusing to give them any money until they have a varsity wrestling program once more. (I'm not holding my breath!) In my book Title IX is a four letter word. There has to be a better way to increase women sports programs without destroying those for the men.

• Stenar Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2012 2:06 p.m.

Typical sexist. Marginalizing women because men don't get to rule the roost.