BYU football: QB Riley Nelson frustrated with lack of offensive-line continuity

Comments

• Real Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 11, 2012 8:33 p.m.

Don't we hear just a little too much from Riley Nelson. He still has a lot to prove. Maybe he should be placed off limits to reporters until he wins an important game or two.

• Proud Ute ,
    Aug. 11, 2012 9:29 p.m.

Oh oh.....rumblings in paradise.
    Better get Homer Harmon over there to put a better spin on it.

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    Aug. 11, 2012 10:13 p.m.

Riley is going to get his clock rang in quite a few games...The Utes "Star" is going to stomp on him!

• eagle Provo, UT
    Aug. 11, 2012 10:34 p.m.

At least Riley is mobile when the Ute defensive line comes calling. Well at least we hope he's more mobile than that one time he got his clock cleaned, fumbled the ball with the Utes returning it for a score...

• UtahUte16 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 12:01 a.m.

Look for the wailing and gnashing of teeth that is sure to follow with Duckhunter and sammy g. The nutrition program sounds like it's going well though.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 12:23 a.m.

We can always count on the trolls to be the first to comment, and the most to comment, WITHOUT FAIL, on every BYU article.

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 7:12 a.m.

Kin da hard-pressed for a story these days, Jeff?

Sorry, I didn't read beyond the headline.

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Aug. 12, 2012 8:19 a.m.

Bring that wine up to Logan, and we will serve some forarms and cheese with it!

• anti BCS Anaheim, CA
    Aug. 12, 2012 8:36 a.m.

Smiling at the jealous obsession of our little brothers and sisters on the hill.

Riley goes 6-7 for 70 yards and 3 TDs in practice, but all our little friends can talk about is the headline that Riley is "frustrated with lack of offensive-line continuity" because several O-linemen have missed practices because of minor bumps and bruises.

The paranoia on the hill runs deep.

• GoGetter Sandy, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 8:39 a.m.

Real Bass,

BYU seems to have a problem with what its players say to press. Bronco doesn't even care either, which is odd. But expect the BYU fanbase to spin this like none other.

I still thought they said BYU was 5 deep at every position, so if the starters don't have continuity, shouldn't they just throw in the 2nd stringers? They are just as good, right Cougie fans?

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Aug. 12, 2012 9:05 a.m.

UtahUte16

No need for wailing and gnashing of teeth from BYU fans, the whiney, jealous comments of the hill trolls will suffice.

• ConferenceofChampions Herriman, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 9:07 a.m.

Looks like the excuses have begun.

LOL

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 10:00 a.m.

all i heard from this article was... "FUMBLE!"

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Aug. 12, 2012 10:07 a.m.

CoC

"Looks like the excuses have begun."

4-5, 8th in football, no votes in any poll
    last or next to last in every other sports

Whiney excuses are all the kids on the hill know nowadays.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 10:17 a.m.

Oh oh. Another struggle against good teams and then a cruise through the WAC.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Aug. 12, 2012 10:41 a.m.

54-IQ

Beats struggling against BAD teams and "cruising" to a LOSING conference record.

• ConferenceofChampions Herriman, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 10:43 a.m.

Anyone could go 9-3 in the cream puff schedule byu plays.

LOL

• HCB63 Orem, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 10:57 a.m.

Poor Starting QB.
    His star is hanging in the balance. After all, he HAS been placed on the O'Brien watchlist as one of the best college QB's in the country. How can such a star be expected to perform under such circumstances as an inconsistent offensive line? He deserves better than that!
    It's only natural then for a good leader to subvert his minions--I mean, teammates-- in the press. After all, how can he be expected to be a star when those meant to protect him are consistently inconsistent? He has to express his feelings to the press, because that is what a good leader does! Must be such a burden.
    Then again, he IS the star.

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 1:52 p.m.

@ ConferenceofChampions- Last year your comment was probably accurate. Let's look at the schedule:
    BYU and Utah both play Washington State, Oregon State, and Utah State. Tit for tat.
    BYU and Utah play each other. Tit for tat.
    Utah plays USC. BYU plays Boise State. Both of those teams have been amongst the best in the country over the last decade.
    Utah has a couple of possibly tough conference games in Arizona State and Cal. BYU easily equals that with Notre Dame and Georgia Tech this year.
    Utah has scheduled a cream puff opener in Division II school Northern Colorado. Wow! Impressive! BYU counters with the powerhouse that is New Mexico State.
    Utah has three games that are decidedly better than BYU's final games: Washington, Arizona, and Colorado. BYU has scheduled Hawaii, Idaho, and San Jose State. Hawaii is never a weak opponent and would probably beat Colorado. The other two games are definitely weaker than Utah's.
    At the end of the day Utah has two games that are stronger than BYU's schedule. Not too big of a deal.

• hymn to the silent Holladay, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 3:15 p.m.

Hey, I', a Ute fan, but I like Nelson. Be plays hard, says what's on his mind and doesn't get too caught up in anything else...of course he expects a lot out of his line; good for him, call them out in the media and make them respond. They're not going to disrespect him the way they did Heaps because Nelson will not back down from a fight. BYUs program may never be where they once were, but I would be glad for them to earn respect for making the most out of what they have.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Aug. 12, 2012 3:49 p.m.

Hymn: Thank you. Nelson is not the best QB to ever pilot a BYU squad. But he has a lot of intangibles that make him good and an excellent team leader.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 3:50 p.m.

What team is he even watching? Every year I keep hearing how great the O-linemen are. A few years ago I was told they were all going to be drafted.

• ConferenceofChampions Herriman, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 4:07 p.m.

ok Winglish ill play your game of "tit for tat" and make my own assumptions just like you did.

Wash State BYU loses
    Weber State (I think you conveniently forgot this one) BYU wins
    Utah BYU Loses by 44+
    Boise St. BYU loses by 30
    Oregon St BYU probably eeks a win
    Notre Dame BYU loses
    Idaho State BYU wins
    Georgia Tech BYU loses
    New Mexico State BYU wins
    Utah State BYU loses since it took them a lucky tip at the end to even win last year. and everyone will be wanting to rush the field again.
    San Jose State BYU Wins
    Hawaii, BYU probably wins, even though you say they are such a tough team.....LOL

Notice the trend here?

Im giving you guys 6-6 this year.

LOL

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Aug. 12, 2012 4:27 p.m.

I appreciate Riley being honest, but I beat him to the punch. Before we heard about these frustrations, I had already lowered my expectations from years past. I'm already prepared to expect a far less effective running game, immense lack of defense, and a pick or two every game. Now if BYU wins the first 4 games, I will be the most elated fan in America. And if they win 10 games, we'll have a celebration at our house worthy of television. But if they perform as expected, I'll survive and go back to reading my Book of Mormon for joy. But I will enjoy the games and will watch all I can.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Aug. 12, 2012 5:48 p.m.

Riley is in mid season form....complaning, whining, stabing his team mates in the back. At least he can still field punts.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 12, 2012 6:10 p.m.

@Winglish

This Ute fan thought your breakdown of the schedule was interesting and worth dissecting.

Here's my breakdown:

Northern Colorado vs. Weber State: (wash)

USU, OSU, Washington State: all common opponents (wash)

Utah vs. BYU: although I like Utah, I will give you the tit for tat. Head to head will decide. (wash)

Hawaii vs. Colorado: Not sure, but I will give you another one (edge Hawaii)

I accept your 'equal' stance for Cal and ASU vs. GT and ND (wash)

Four games left to compare now. I gave you two debatbles thus far. So, BYU is up one at this juncture.

USC vs. Boise State: Kellen Moore is gone. BYU might beat BSU. USC is hyped yet again, but I still think they are much better than BSU. (edge USC)

Schedules equal (three games left)

Washington, Arizona, and UCLA vs. Idaho, San Jose State, and New Mexico State. (obviously Utah has a big edge in all three)

You said "Utah being two games stronger is not a big deal". Really?

My breakdown is fair right Ute and Cougar fans? Is a three games difference favoring Utah a big deal? I say yes. Could be a big difference.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Aug. 12, 2012 6:24 p.m.

If Utah has three games that are tougher than BYU, then would BYU lose all three? I say probably not. If BYU did lose all three (hypothetically), then I say 9-3 vs. 6-6 is a glaring negative of a difference.

If BYU lost two of those three (again hypothetically), then 9-3 vs. 7-5 stands out considerably. But the improved schedule might still be worth it because the bowl game would be the same, and BYU beat one decent school instead of three patsies.

If BYU won two of those three, then I don't think 9-3 vs. 8-4 is a big deal to most BYU fans. Again the bowl game is the same and the record not noticeably different. However, under this scenario, the nine win version jumps to a 10 win season if the bowl game is won

Although the bowl game BYU goes to won't matter with those records (same bowl unless undefeated), they still lack in regualr season excitement when playing half their schedule filled with Big Sky and WAC teams.

As for Utah, rather the PAC 12 is down or not, I want to play PAC 12 schools.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 6:33 p.m.

'girlse'

Shouldn't you be on Facebook begging for Dishnetwork and DirectTV deals?

Please remember that your team is racking up injuries left and right and if Wynnie gets bopped just once it's deja vu, and your back to Jon. No south division championship, no shot at the PAC championship, no parade, no Disneyland, etc. You know the story.

No excuses for anything at BYU. Cougars have a team that's coming together quite nicely.

However I'm sure one of your excuses will be Blechen's mysterious absence.

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 6:44 p.m.

Riley is going to get sacked again, and again, and again, etc. etc. etc. on and on and on!

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 7:05 p.m.

Poinsettia Bowl is going to be great.

• Jenny83 OGDEN, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 7:07 p.m.

"One of your excuses will be Blechen's absence?" Utah has their best ever class ranking this year at 28th (Rivals) and BYU comes in at #61 ....Utah wooped up on BYU in Provo last year and this year they are playing in Salt Lake. BYU has NO chance of winning the rivalry game this year.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 7:20 p.m.

Jenny

Good point. If Riley does get sacked over and over again as you say we at least know he can take it.

Jordan... not so much

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 8:27 p.m.

gdog,
    I have to say that was very fair. As a BYU fan, I know and knew that the schedule would not be so good for the first 2 or 3 years of Independence. What's interesting is how blind some Utah fans are to the fact that Tom Holmoe pulled off what they thought was impossible by putting together a stellar schedule by year 3. What most Utah fans refuse to admit is that Tom could not have done it without the fact that BYU carries a ton of credibility in the world of college football. Just to give you an idea of what BYU pulled off with Independence, consider that the MWC this year managed to put together a $8million deal with ESPN. Last year BYU received somewhere between $10 and $15 million. That is pretty incredible when you consider it was their first year of Independence. However, I am aware that if they do not continue to win, that number will flatten or maybe even decrease over the years. Scary thought. Enjoyed your schedule breakdown.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 8:46 p.m.

Jenny,
    Horrible comparison. For example, not too long ago BYU had a top 25 class. Those players are just now starting to make an impact. Very few freshmen come in and make an immediate impact. Utah and BYU have been fortunate to have 1 or 2 per year, but I would guess that 50% of the time those "impact" freshmen have carried no more than 2 or 3 stars. No doubt Utah will be good this year. At least they don't have to worry like last year if Wynn goes down.

Aug. 12, 2012 9:18 p.m.

Cougars1:

"Last year BYU received somewhere between $10 and $15 million."

Nope. Best estimates indicate that last year, the cougars received somewhere in the $8 million range. Now that's still better than what they would have received in the MWC, but it's well short of $10-15 million.

On the negative side, the cougars' SOS dropped substantially by playing in the WAC as opposed to the MWC, so it really boils down to what's more important to the cougar program and their fans? Is it the "money", or is it fans watching "good football"? In MY opinion, "money" trumps "good football" since cougar fans don't seem to care who they beat, or what teams take the field. All they care is wins. And wins obviously come more readily when playing WAC football.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 9:28 p.m.

Naval,
    10 to 15. This I know.

The rest of your comment just validates what I said about some Utah fans who refuse to look at the schedule for 2013. We all knew it would take a few years, but from 2013 on is a huge improvement over the MWC. Feel free to stick your head in the sand, but those are the facts.
    Is it better than Utah's situation in the PAC? No. I am a BYU fan, but I am not blind. Utah is in a great situation, and I hope they do well.

Aug. 12, 2012 9:36 p.m.

Cougars1:

"...not too long ago BYU had a top 25 class. Those players are just now starting to make an impact."

I'm assuming you were referring to your 2010 class which was ranked in among the Top-25 recruiting classes by Scout, but Rivals ranked it as the #40 class....8 spots behind Utah's. And as for those players "just now starting to make an impact"....well, not necessarily.

Your top-rated recruit that season -- Jake Heaps -- is no longer with the team, so obviously, he's not making any impact for the Indy-WACers. Without Heaps, Scout doesn't grant you Top-25 status, and you know it. ALSO no longer with the team are:

...3-star RB Algrenon Brown, 3-star DE Tayo Fabuluje, 3-star LB Toloa'i Ho Ching, 3-star OL Tuni Kanuch, 3-star LB Collin Keoshian, 3-star RB A.J. Moore, 3-star OL Manu Mulitalo, 3-star LB Joey Owens, 3-star RB Joshua Quezada, 3-star DT Graham Rowley, 3-star TE Bryan Sampson, and 3-star DB Corby Eason. That's 44.4% of that class now gone.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 9:47 p.m.

Naval,

Thanks for making my point that the year after you beat your rival you can't really use you recruiting class as the reason you will beat them the next year. What we can do is project a win or loss based on what players are in the program right now; and based on THAT, I would have to concede that Utah has a pretty big edge. It doesn't stop me from cheering for the Cougars.

Aug. 12, 2012 9:50 p.m.

Cougars1 (cont.):

Of those 12 players from your 2010 class whom I listed, only Eason left due to graduation. Do you think your 2010 class would have ranked even in the Top-50 without the #23 LB (Ho Ching), #36 DE (Fabuluje), #44 DT (Rowley), #48 OG (Kanuch), #50 RB (Brown), #51 LB (Owens), #57 RB (Moore), and #67 RB (Quezada)?

Because I don't. Of your 12 recruits rated 3-stars or above, only 6 now remain.

"10 to 15. This I know."

The cougars did NOT get $10-15 million. And since there have been no verifiable estimates reported anywhere outside of frantic and emotional cougar blogs, I'm quite certain that you do NOT "know" what you're claiming to know. You only "wish" it. That's not the same thing as "knowing".

• Winglish Lehi, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 9:55 p.m.

@gdog,
    Your analysis of the schedule is pretty fair. Considering Bronco's 8-5 record against the Pac 12, I'm saying it's more than fair on your part to concede that there is no way BYU would lose all three games you mentioned. I also agree that 9-3 or 8-4 is not a big deal. Either can be considered a successful season against an OK schedule (it's certainly not weak as many Ute fans portray; nor is it world beating).
    With 25+ returning starters from a Top 25 ranked team last year, BYU should have a very good record at the end of the season. Utah was the only bad loss for BYU's 10-3 team last year. That one just got out of hand. It goes that way sometimes. Surely Ute fans remember Washington, Arizona State, Cal...

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Aug. 12, 2012 10:10 p.m.

Naval,
    That wasn't the point I was making, but you are correct.

As for the 10 to 15, I could also say that your 8 estimate was pulled out of you "ear" as a Utah fan who would hate to admit that BYU surpassed the 10 mark. But I will repeat, 10 to 15 I do know. I just won't tell you how I know.

But just for fun, let's do a hypothetical. It was reported before last season that BYU would get somewhere around 1.3 for home games televised by ESPN. They had 7. Let's be very conservative and say that they got $7 mil for the home games. The TCU game they got $2.5; also reported by the dnews. That takes us to 9.5. Add in the paychecks from Texas and Ol Miss and that puts it over 10. I don't know where you get your 8 from, but it's wrong. Keep in mind that BYUtv also televised the Oregon State game and had revenues from that game as well as the conference revenue share from basketball and other sports. Enjoy the sand.

• TheSportsAuthority Arlington, VA
    Aug. 12, 2012 10:42 p.m.

Naval Vet

It's laughable that you spend soooo much time comparing BYU and Utah recruiting, when, if you weren't just a BYU hater, your attention should now be on USC.

It's easy to guess why we'll NEVER see a comparison of USC and Utah recruiting from you because an objective comparison would prove, conclusively, that the Utes have absolutely ZERO CHANCE of EVER beating the Trojans.

Your once in a decade Top 25 recruiting classes aren't even in the same hemisphere of USC annual Top 10 recruiting classes.

Aug. 13, 2012 12:57 p.m.

Winglish:

"With 25+ returning starters from a Top 25 ranked team last year, BYU should have a very good record at the end of the season."

Maybe if the Indy-WACers actually HAD 25+ starters returning, they really MIGHT have a very good record at the end of the season. But, the trouble is, you don't. You have 14. Which is 1 fewer than the number of starters you had returning LAST year.

P.S.: You only backed into the Top-25 by the end of last season by way of rolling up 10 wins. Except that you really didn't beat anyone. When "8-5 Tulsa" is your signature win, then your ranking is a farce....and one only made possible due to USC being ineligible for placement in that poll. Only Indy-WACey fans think backing into the Top-25 via weak-SOS is worth crowing about.

Aug. 13, 2012 1:10 p.m.

Cougars1:

"It was reported before last season that BYU would get somewhere around 1.3 for home games televised by ESPN."

And where was this reported? Because I have a report that stated otherwise. If you Googled the article "BYU signs long-term deals with ESPN, Notre Dame" published on Sept. 3, 2010, you will read, "Holmoe and other BYU officials announced an eight-year partnership with television sports giant ESPN...Financial terms of the BYU-ESPN deal...estimates put it anywhere between $800,000 and $1.2 million per home game."

Not $1.3 million.

Now there seems to be a few common cougar misconceptions about this deal. One of which is that the cougars get to choose which figure they like better between $800K and $1.2M. They don't. ESPN pays what they believe the market share will hold. Thus, they're not paying you $1.2 million to play UCF, USU, SJSU, Idaho St, Idaho, or NMSU. My best guess is you'd collect $1 million for UCF and USU, and $800K for all the remaining teams not-named Idaho St (since ESPN didn't broadcast that game).

Aug. 13, 2012 1:22 p.m.

Cougars1 (cont.):

Another common misconception is that the cougars will be paid up to $1.2 million for AWAY games broadcast on ESPN. They won't. When you played at Oregon St, you got paid under OSU's contract. Not your own. Same thing with Texas and Mississippi. In fact ALL teams -- including Notre Dame -- are paid under the previously stipulated contract negotiated by the HOST team. So you would have made the same amount of money at Mississippi, Texas, Oregon St, et al as a MWC member as you did as an Indy-WACer. That's not new money.

So let's break it down...

I see no article that stipulated a $2.5M game with TCU. In fact, you didn't even get that much when you played Oklahoma there 3 yrs ago. Since ESPN negotiated the deal, it would have fallen under your ESPN contract. Which means....$1.2M TOPS!

Mississippi, Texas, Oregon St, and Hawai'i would have been paid out at the hosting teams' rates, and can not be classified as new money.

Utah and TCU would have brought in $1.2M each. UCF and USU -- likely $1M each.

Aug. 13, 2012 1:31 p.m.

Cougars1 (cont.):

Since the sporting world doesn't hold their breath for Indy-WACey matchups vs. SJSU, Idaho, or NMSU, you won't be able to convince anyone outside of WACistan that these games are getting paid out any amount over $800K.

TCU + Utah = $1.2 X 2 = $2.4
    UCF + USU = $1 X 2 = $2
    SJSU + Idaho + NMSU = $0.8 X 3 = $2.4
    Idaho St. = $0
    Tulsa (Bowl) = $0.6

$2.4 + $2 + $2.4 + $0 + $0.6 = new money = $7.4 million

Indy-WACness = $7.4 million

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Aug. 13, 2012 1:35 p.m.

Naval Vet

Why are you soooo obsessed with BYU, when Utah now has a far bigger fish to fry in USC?

Get over your BYU hatred already; it's not healthy, in fact, it's not even logical for a fan of such a "superior" program as Utah, to have such an inferiority complex that he feels compelled to try to minimize everything about an institution that he holds in such contempt.

The fact that ESPN signed an 8-year agreement with BYU, after having televised BYU football games since 1984, is proof positive that the "World-Wide Leader" sees BYU as a very marketable college football commodity.

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    Aug. 13, 2012 1:55 p.m.

Naval Vet

The truth is, you're jealous that BYU is doing what you know would be impossible for Utah.

Utah is totally dependent on whatever conference the Utes happen to be in. We all saw what happened to Utah last season when the Utes were forced to come up with their own television coverage for HOME GAMES - the best U could do was KJZZ - which the Utes were probably willing to do for free just so their fans could watch the game.

Conversely, when BYU played at Oregon State and the game wasn't picked up by a PAC television partner, BYU sent their state-of-the-art HD television truck to Corvallis and arranged to have the game simulcast on BYUtv and on Fox College Sports Pacific (DirecTV, Comcast).

Aug. 13, 2012 3:28 p.m.

TheSportsAuthority and skywalker:

(1) I have no need be overly concerned about USC until after Sept. 22nd.

(2) Cougar fans have obnoxiously boasted for decades how "national" they were, and how their "brand" made the WAC and the MWC. And while you DID "make the WAC", the MWC was "made" by Utah and TCU. You guys never played in a BCS bowl, and were only one notch above Colorado State. After we were "Fully Invited", and you weren't [*snicker*], I'd say that proved all those "secret negotiations" with the Pac-10 were bogus, and which MWC team really DID carry the "brand". After TCU invited to the Big 12, and you weren't [*snicker*], I'd say that proved all those "secret negotiations" with the Big 12 were bogus as well, and which remaining MWC team really DID carry the "brand".

We're going to ride you about this for a long time because we KNOW you would have done the same to US had the shoe been on the other foot. We may have left you behind, but that doesn't mean we won't enjoy making fun of you.

I means we WILL!

Haha!

Aug. 13, 2012 4:21 p.m.

@NavalVet "After we were "Fully Invited", and you weren't [*snicker*], I'd say that proved all those "secret negotiations" with the Pac-10 were bogus, and which MWC team really DID carry the "brand"."

And after U were put on Versus against USC and Colorado was put on ESPN against the Trojans, we got to see which PAC 12 newcomer really did 'carry the brand'. And after U got your contract with KJZZ while BYU got theirs with ESPN, well, that definitely showed us who has the national brand in the state.

But congrats on getting into the PAC 12 and 'leaving us behind'. You've officially become the new Iowa St/Duke/Washington St/Kentucky/Maryland of the football world...except that they're all on national TV more than U and I don't think any of those teams runs their football facilities out of a trailer park.

That's just sad, even for U.

Go Cougars!

Aug. 13, 2012 6:27 p.m.

Cougar1:

"I will repeat, 10 to 15 I do know. I just won't tell you how I know."

Of course. What would an Indy-WACey article be without some frantic and emotional cougar fan spreading more unverifiable super-secret inside information. Kind of like those "done deals" Utah's little brother negotiated in their inevitable invitations to the Pac-12 and the Big 12.

I will repeat...$8 million range. I do know. I just won't tell you how I know.

truecoug1:

Still with the KJZZ thing? You KNOW Utah is part of that $3 billion TV package don't you? And that the Pac-12 Network's inaugural broadcast will be in 2 days? And that the first Pac-12 Network Football game will feature the Utes? How sad for you that you're not only stuck in the past, but also stuck regurgitating desperation data. Philadelphians don't have access to KJZZ, yet I was still able to watch the Utes take on the Indy-WACers (ESPN2), USC (Versus), UWa, ASU, Cal, OSU, and CU (FSN), and UCLA (FX). Pitt (ESPNU) and Ga. Tech (CBS) were also available to Philadelphians.

How miserable for you.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Aug. 13, 2012 10:46 p.m.

Re: Naval Vet

What's funny is that 75% of those guys you named from the 2010 class are on MISSIONS and will be playing with the team by 2013. Besides, even without Jake Heaps the 2010 class would still have been ranked 33rd that year which still isn't too bad.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Aug. 13, 2012 11:34 p.m.

Naval,
    Come on, now you sound like some frantic and emotional Ute fan spreading more unverifiable super-secret inside information. 10 to 15 pal. I like how you take the low end of everything just to prove you point. Your insecurity is amazing.

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Aug. 13, 2012 11:45 p.m.

Naval,
    BTW, 7.4 is still as much or more than most mid major CONFERENCES get, even though it's wrong.;)

• Swoop Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 8:09 a.m.

Naval Vet

It's laughable that Utah is "rolling in the dough", yet the Utes are still gouging their students with increased student fees, their fans with grossly inflated season ticket prices, and Hill is deathly afraid of expanding RES because he doesn't want to be embarrassed by a sea of empty red chairs when the inevitable losing seasons and no bowl games drain RES just like we've seen at the Huntsman Center.

Shiny new facilities won't mean anything when you're still a conference bottom dweller in every sport.

Aug. 14, 2012 10:34 a.m.

@NavalVet "Still with the KJZZ thing?"

"Philadelphians don't have access to KJZZ"

Really? Yet you claim you were able to watch Cal (KJZZ/CSN Bay Area), OSU (KJZZ, RSN-regional), and UCLA (KJZZ/FSPT)? Either you're lying (which is hilarious), or you somehow watched on some illegal TV streaming website (even more hilarious)!

That's a new low, even for U!

As for the PAC 12 Network, how's that going to work out for you, since it's availab le in 48 million homes in the PAC geographical area? And who knows how many subscribers that really is? But hey, you were somehow able to watch KJZZ, so I'm sure you'll figure out a way to get the PAC networks.

BYUtv is actually in 58 million homes across the nation.

BYUtv > PAC Network

By the way, how much of that 3 billion dollars has Utah received? None? Huh, interesting. Explains the trailer park. How miserable for you.

Go Cougars!

• Cougars1 Bluffdale, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 1:32 p.m.

Swoop,
    Not only do they have a trailer park; their indoor practice facility is nothing more than a hay barn. You can't even punt or kick off in there without banging it off the rafters. Pathetic.

Aug. 14, 2012 2:09 p.m.

Cougars1:

"...you sound like some frantic and emotional Ute fan spreading more unverifiable super-secret inside information. 10 to 15 pal...Your insecurity is amazing."

I provided you with the Google search engine requirements to verify my report. However, YOU have YET to provide ANYTHING to substantiate your frantic and emotional made up revenues of $10-15 million.

And FWIW...if you really did "know", then you would have "known" how much it really was. You wouldn't have given a $5 million range. Proof positive that you don't really know. $8 million range. I showed you where to look. Short of any NEW evidence...case closed!

Aug. 14, 2012 2:35 p.m.

truecoug1:

I gave you the channels those games were on here in Philadelphia. If it was illegal cable, that WOULD be funny since my friends and I watched them at "Cavanaugh's Rittenhouse" sports bar on 18th and Sansom.

"BYUtv is actually in 58 million homes across the nation."

But do the cougars get 58 million viewers? No? Well then I guess it doesn't really make any difference how many homes that channel serves, does it? Now as for the Pac-12 Network, Comcast had just recently changed up the channel line ups to include new cable programming. And the Pac-12 Network is one of them.

"...how much of that 3 billion dollars has Utah received? None?"

Again...all in the past. Last year, Utah collected nearly $5.2 million in Pac-12 CCG and Bowl revenues. We'll be getting that again THIS year, only with an additional kicker of over $10.4 million in TV revenues PLUS whatever the Pac-12 Network nets (and THAT'll be a FULL share since it's new money).

2012 = $15.1 million

Well for Utah anyway. Enjoy your $7-8 million.

Aug. 14, 2012 2:45 p.m.

truecoug1:

"Why not? You still use the Indy-WACer label, even though our contract with the WAC expires this year and you KNOW we don't have any WAC teams on the schedule for next year."

I use the Indy-WACer label because you DO have a bunch of WAC teams on your schedule THIS year. As for next year, there won't even be a WAC.

Aug. 14, 2012 2:54 p.m.

truecoug1:

"Explains the trailer park. How miserable for you."

How amusing! Because it actually DOES explain the trailer park. Utah's new $10.4 million (minimum...that doesn't count the FULL share we'll be receiving from the Pac-12 Network) television revenues has allowed us to renovate our existing athletic facilities. Without that extra cash, we WOULDN'T have had the money to do it, and thus, would still be in our regular location. But, since we DO have that extra cash flow, the trailers will provide the Football staff a temporary place to park themselves while construction continues on our new facility.

(It takes more than a day to build these types of structures you know...)

How jealous you must be that due to our additional $10.4 million, we can afford new Football offices, while you cannot. 2012 = $15.1 million (minimum) for Utah...but likely in the $5-7 million range (ESPN most likely won't option Weber St, so you'll only get paid for the other 5 Home games) for the Indy-WACers. How miserable for YOU.

Aug. 14, 2012 3:16 p.m.

@NavalVet "How jealous you must be that due to our additional $10.4 million, we can afford new Football offices, while you cannot."

Lol, bro, that's because we already built our "BCS" caliber facilities 5 years ago. Not only that, we actually just renovated our football offices this year. Have you ever been to Student Athlete Building on campus at BYU? The IPF? Perhaps you haven't noticed the brand new video boards and ribbons they're putting into LES right now?

See, BYU can actually afford these top-notch facilities without being in a conference. Why? Because they're a national brand that operates in the black, with a contract with ESPN, not KJZZ. It's cute that your conference has a nice TV contract with ESPN and Fox...I'm just curious as to how many times the WorldWide Leader will pick U to be on their networks this year. My guess? Not many.

It's also cute that Utah finally got the memo to upgrade their facilities and that they will have money for them sometime in the future.

Who knows, maybe with your TV revenue, U can actually start buying recruits, like Oregon and USC?

Aug. 14, 2012 3:19 p.m.

@NavalVet "All that KJZZ stuff is old news. If you had anything current, you would have used it, but you don't so you're trying to tie Utah's LAST season to the Indy-WACers CURRENT."

Very true...I'll have to switch over to the fact that your conference has a big ol' contract with ESPN and Fox, yet they'll probably shove you on their cute little 'Mtn' Network.

The PAC 12 already has a history of sitting you down in the corner, patting your head, and telling you not to make waves. I see no reason for that to change.

By the way, thanks for the four responses to my one comment. I haven't made you 'frantic and emotional', have i?

Go Cougars!

Aug. 14, 2012 3:36 p.m.

@NavalVet " Last year, Utah collected nearly $5.2 million in Pac-12 CCG and Bowl revenues. We'll be getting that again THIS year, only with an additional kicker of over $10.4 million in TV revenues PLUS whatever the Pac-12 Network nets (and THAT'll be a FULL share since it's new money)."

Lol, and your point? U still didn't get any of that 3 billion dollar TV contract last year, which was the original question. U are still operating in the red, your administration has still jacked up ticket prices to try to get by, and U are still putting on a fundraiser to try and raise money for your athletic department. U still operate out of a trailer park and U still will get relegated to that amazing 'nationwide' PAC 12 network that U probably won't be able to see.

U had as many games on ESPNU as BYU's RUGBY team last year. And I'm pretty sure that the commentators for the rugby game didn't apologize to their viewers for how poor a game it was, which is what the commentators did during the Utah/Pitt game.

Nice brand, bro.

Aug. 14, 2012 3:56 p.m.

@NavalVet "I gave you the channels those games were on here in Philadelphia."

And I gave you the channels that those games were ACTUALLY on, KJZZ and regional channels. Maybe U were confused? But hey, if U can provide links to places that show that the OSU and Cal games were on FSN and that the UCLA game was on FX, then I might actually believe U.

"But do the cougars get 58 million viewers?"

Lol, nope, but I can guarantee they get a whole lot more than the Utes do. The Utah was game was our third lowest-rated game last year, even behind SJSU!

BYUtv is actually IN 58 million homes. The PAC 12 Network is on cable distributors that reach 48 million homes, but that doesn't mean the PAC 12 Network is IN 48 million homes. There's a great article in the LA Times today about it. Only those within the PAC footprint have it on their basic cable, and even in some places within the PAC, an extra subscription or sports package is required to view it.

BYUtv > PAC 12 Network.

BYU Brand > Utah Brand

BYU > Utah

Go Cougars!

• Mount Olympus Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 14, 2012 9:18 p.m.

Re: truecoug1

BYU's bowl game vs Tulsa had the 3rd lowest tv ratings of all the bowls.
    It had fewer viewers than both Marshall vs FIU and Temple vs Wyoming.

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Aug. 14, 2012 11:05 p.m.

Mount Olympus

The weekday, morning time slot was the overriding factor in low ratings for the Armed Forces Bowl; it had NOTHING to do with the teams involved.

Comparing apples to apples:

Ratings from the just-completed 2011-12 athletic year showed BYU broadcasts led the SLC/Ogden/Provo market in audience numbers, dominating in-state rival Utah's broadcasts in both football and basketball.

In-game audience shares

BYU FB: ranging from 14.7 to 19.0 across key demos.
    Utah FB: ranging from 8.2 to 13.4 across key demos.

BYU FB: average audience 159,900; season-high 228,700.
    Utah FB: average audience 90,500; season-high 132,700.

Source: Arbitron

Aug. 15, 2012 11:14 a.m.

@Mount Olympus "BYU's bowl game vs Tulsa had the 3rd lowest tv ratings of all the bowls.
    It had fewer viewers than both Marshall vs FIU and Temple vs Wyoming."

A few things to consider. First, the 2010 Armed Forces bowl between Army and SMU garnered a 1.33 Nielsen rating. The 2011 Armed Forces Bowl between BYU and Tulsa had a 1.43 Nielsen rating. Second, the Armed Forces bowl was played at 10 AM MT on a FRIDAY. Marshall vs FIU had a 1.52 Nielsen rating being played prime-time Tuesday night (8 PM, E.T.). The New Mexico bowl (Temply vs Wyoming) was played on SATURDAY, 12 PM MT. They garnered a 1.54 Nielsen rating. Compare that to last year's New Mexico bowl betweeen BYU and UTEP, which was played at the same time. It garnered a 1.82 Nielsen rating.

Makes sense that both those bowls would have slightly higher ratings than the Armed Forces bowl since most people are home from work at night (prime-time) and on a Saturday.

Aug. 15, 2012 11:40 a.m.

@Mount Olympus continued

Finally, the 2010 Sun Bowl between Notre Dame and Miami garnered a 3.01 Nielsen rating. The 2011 Sun Bowl between Utah and Gerogia Tech garnered a 2.71 Nielsen rating. Both were played on a Saturday at the same time.

So in conclusion, BYU actually HELPED the Armed Forces bowl ratings, while Utah helped to significantly lower the Sun Bowl's.

Again, BYU has a national brand, Utah does not.

Go Cougars!

Aug. 15, 2012 4:21 p.m.

@Mount Olympus and Naval Vet

As a further support/demonstration of BYU's national brand, google 'CommonCensus Sports Map Project'. As the website states, it's not scientific by any means, but it's basically a survey of about 29,000 people around the country as to which teams they cheer for.

Click on the map for NCAA Football, set the radius to 200 miles and click anywhere on the map. Almost without expection, wherever you pick, BYU will be in the top 15 schools, maybe top 20.

Very rarely is Utah on that list. Again, it's not scientific, but it's a good demonstration to show that BYU does have a national following.

Of course, the ESPN contract was evidence of the national brand that BYU has.

The KJZZ contract is evidence of the type of brand that Utah has.

Great time to be a Cougar!

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 15, 2012 10:22 p.m.

Seriously Naval Vet, do you work? Because it sure seems that you spend all your waking hours trolling BYU articles. Is your hatred so intense that your whole life revolves around obsessing about BYU? How pathetic!

Look at all your posts then look at the title of the article--they have nothing to do with each other.

• Truth Machine Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2012 12:25 p.m.

trueblue1

Thanks for that objective analysis of ratings.

Aug. 16, 2012 2:59 p.m.

@Truth Machine "The most telling comparison of BYU and Utah from last season, to me, was ESPN choosing to televise EVERY BYU game that was available to them (11 of 13 games), yet when ABC/ESPN were selecting which PAC 12 games to televise last year, they completely ignored Utah; even Utah's inaugural PAC 12 game at USC wasn't interesting to ABC/ESPN."

I completely agree. The biggest point I like to make about the two PAC 12 newcomers last year is that Utah's first ever PAC 12 game with USC was televised on Versus on a Saturday afternoon (basically, the upgraded MTN, otherwise known as the Hunting and Fishing Channel), while Colorado's date with the Trojans was prime time Saturday night on ESPN.

Utah just doesn't have a national draw. The PAC 12 Networks know this, which is why Utah had to get a contract with KJZZ to show their games last year.

This year, I would guess it'd be a steady diet of the PAC 12 Network for the Utes. Their only scheduled PAC 12 game on ESPN right now is USC on a Thursday night.

Go Cougars!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 16, 2012 8:13 p.m.

@truecoug1

Actually, the most telling comparison of BYU and Utah is that Utah has a large enough brand to make it into the PAC-12 while BYU has such a large brand that you're still in 40 stright years of "discussions" with the Big 12.

Good luck Sep 15th, you'll need it as Utah will be going for its 3rd beat-down in 5 years over the "national brand" (aka "legacy program" down south).

Aug. 17, 2012 10:50 a.m.

@Uteology "Actually, the most telling comparison of BYU and Utah is that Utah has a large enough brand to make it into the PAC-12..."

Lol, really? U must be one of those guys who thinks that Louisville and South Florida got into the Big East because of their 'brand', right?

U got into the PAC 12 because the PAC wanted a footprint in the SLC TV market and U were the only school that wasn't affiliated with a religion that fit the bill.

Here are the facts:
    The U's 'brand' started in 2004. During that time through to 2010 (when the PAC invited U), the Utes record was 60-17, with 2 BCS wins.

Colorado's record during that time? 31-44, 0 BCS wins.

And yet, for all of your fantastic 'brand', Utah got their first ever PAC 12 game with USC on Versus, while Colorado got featured prime-time Saturday night on ESPN against the Trojans.

Your brand is so large that U tied Oregon St for the fewest games picked up by the PAC 12 markets last year. U had to contract out with KJZZ just to show your games.

Aug. 17, 2012 10:55 a.m.

@Uteology continued

Your one game on ESPN came courtesy of your big brother down south, and BYU's RUGBY team had as many games on ESPNU as Utah did.

But to top it all off, Spence Checketts, the biggest Ute homer in the state, said on 1280 The Zone yesterday that BYU has much more of a national brand than Utah.

Lol, but U go ahead and think that U got into the PAC 12 because of your brand. Haha, I got a really good laugh out of that one!

As for the '3rd beatdown in 5 years talk'...sure, if U think that BYU will just give U the ball 4 times like last year, then go ahead. After re-watching last year's game a couple of times, I think it'll be a miracle if the Utes don't lose by more than 14 points to the Cougars this year.

Should be a fun game :)